2316 Polk St.
San Francisco, CA 94109Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lafolie.com/
- Phone: 4157765577x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
Friday & Saturday:5:00pm-1:00am
We are closed Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Years Day
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Roland Passot
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from La Folie
La Folie is a French restaurant located in Russian Hill of San Francisco. Chef Roland Passot, with his wife Jamie opened La Folie in March of 1988. He combines the freshest ingredients in exotic combinations. Each plate leaves the kitchen resembling art-a canvas of color and design that tastes even better than it looks. La Folie continues to be rated as one of the top restaurants, receiving a star from the Michelin Guide, 4 stars from the San Francisco Chronicle and 4 stars from San Francisco Magazine. In celebration of 21 years, The Passots have expanded their bar into a lounge located next door, perfect for before or after dinner drinks.Continued
**We thank all of our guests for voting La Folie
Best French Restaurant - 7x7 Magazine
Best French Restaurant - San Francisco Magazine
Best French Restaurant - SF Weekly
Best Restaurant - Eater SF
**We thank all of our guests for voting La Folie
Best French Restaurant - 7x7 Magazine
Best French Restaurant - San Francisco Magazine
Best French Restaurant - SF Weekly
Best Restaurant - Eater SF
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
La Folie - Best Restaurants in Russian Hill ›
La Folie reviews from OpenTable diners
166 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (129)fit for foodies (123)romantic (107)notable wine list (85)neighborhood gem (33)good for groups (8)hot spot (6)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (4)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- More to fine dining than food...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014The food and the wine, as far as we were able to enjoy them, were impeccable, but the overall dining experience horrible as the back room's ambient temperature must have been about 100 degrees Fahrenheit. The chef acknowledged the issue to us - so why did La Folie choose to seat people in that room? I am not impressed at all, especially for a venue at this price point. Fine dining is something we enjoy and make an event of. We had booked a suite at a top hotel for this evening and felt the physical effects of sitting in the overbearing heat well into the next day.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/30/2014We had unforgettable experience. Food and service were perfect. Thanks for very nice evening.Special Features:
- Delicious dinnerthereseVIPDined on 8/25/2014We had a wonderful birthday dinner at La Folie. The tempura duck egg, lobster and mushroom risotto (with shaved truffles), rabbit, quail/squab and peach melba baked alaska were all delicious with a careful attention to detail that I really appreciate. There are few restaurants in the area that I would recommend for a very special occasion, but this is definitely one of them, if not the best. The restaurant was busy, but the noise level was very manageable and the service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As good as everyone saysqwerty1Dined on 8/23/2014Food: amazing complex flavors (most importantly). amazing presentation. chef provided tasters throughout the meal which were a great break from the things I ordered. Service: OUTSTANDING, from the front of house, to our server, to the supplemental servers - everyone was very attentive, well versed on the menu, and service was very smooth. Ambiance: Romantic and formal for the SF food scene. Decor is old-school, which is a lovely break from all the modern restaurants these days.Special Features:
- mos205VIPDined on 8/23/2014I wanted to love this place based on reviews and a personal recommendation. The food was good but several of the dishes were way over salted. Disappointing.
- A true moment of hospitalityHappycamper12Dined on 8/23/2014I am classic and old school. That being said, it is a pleasure to thank all "La Folie" team for such a great dining experience. Certainly one of the best and true restaurant in town. Food is exceptional, service was very professional. All what a restaurant should be. All this at a nice price range for that category. Again thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/22/2014As advertised - the only question is why it doesn't have 2 michelin stars - one seems like the understatement of the century.Special Features:
- Always a Five Star ExperienceDodinBouffantVIPDined on 8/22/2014La Folie is a must whenever travel takes me to San Francisco. Chef Roland Passot and wife Jamie run the perfect French restaurant featuring great food prepared by the chef, delivered with good service in a pleasant environment. This is as close to Paris as you will find in the United States. Following three amuse bouche we enjoyed a five course menu for which we chose the Tempura Duck Egg; Pig Feet, Sweetbread and Lobster Terrine; Butter Poached Lobster; Rôti of Quail and Squab, and finished with the Edam Cheese Soufflé...all perfectly prepared, beautifully presented, and delicious. Sommelier George Passot handled the service of the two bottles of 1982 Bordeaux we brought with great care. A truly remarkable evening.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/22/2014Fantastic! Food outstanding, staff so attentive, very special,place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- la FolieChef8789Dined on 8/21/2014Great Restaurant Amazing food and service I can only recommend this restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Fine DiningbluesonwhyteVIPDined on 8/18/2014From beginning to end this is a night out to savor. The flexibility is wonderful. A multi-course French dining experience where you are not held hostage by the whims of the chef. If frog's legs are your thing go for it, if you would rather lobster risotto that go for that. The duck main was exquisite. Highly recommended. Reservations essential.Special Features:
- overpriced and overly complicatedAlbinaDined on 8/16/2014We were very much looking forward to this meal, hoping that the experience at this restaurant would be memorable and delicious. Unfortunately, we found almost every course of the meal to be overly complicated and not particularly tasty. The presentation of each course was absolutely stunning, but the taste of the food was not in keeping with the beauty of the presentation. We had some incredible meals during our trip to San Francisco and Sonoma/Napa Counties, but this was, unfortunately, not one of them. Overall, this was an expensive, non-impressive meal.Special Features:
- Consistently ClassicFrequentDinerDined on 8/16/2014We celebrated our 10 year anniversary at La Folie which has been a favorite restaurant of ours for many years. It's refreshing that our expectations are always met. The food is outstanding with special offerings that always makes the menu interesting. The ambiance is one of the few in the City which I would qualify as truly romantic. And the service was impeccable, from our server (Ben) to the sommelier, to the extra touches that made our celebration memorable. Thank you very much to the entire staff of La Folie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- la folieprettygoodforatightendVIPDined on 8/15/2014We had a good meal. My friend's frog legs were a bit overdone, but our filets were outstanding. The presentations of the dishes is very nice, but I get the feeling that they are more focused on that than the substance of the dish sometimes. The decor looks a little tired and there was a slight musty odor to the place when we came in. A talented group of folks, but with so many really fine San Francisco restaurants, I doubt we will return to this one.
- Great celebration spotOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/15/2014Menu is fantastic - traditional with a hint of modernization.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food tastes as good as it looks!love2eatVIPDined on 8/11/2014Amazing food! Every bite was so delicious. Each course is presented so beautifully like a work of art. It was so difficult to decide which dishes to order since there are so many wonderful dishes to choose from. Great service from beginning to end.Special Features:
- Fit for foodiesLuvwineVIPDined on 8/11/2014This is a find for outstanding food, be certain to ask for expert assistance for the wine selection and they have some very modestly priced great wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Private Party: terrificoperagoerDined on 8/11/2014I hosted 8 in the private room. Exceptional food and great wines chosen by George. As good lamb as I have ever eaten, great lobster risotto, for dessert try the cheese soufflé with Floc. Great combo!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014Atmosphere was warm and classy. Food was artful and delicious. Only qualms were that 1) I had put a side note that it was my boyfriends' birthday, so they were supposed to give him a candle and a little chocolate happy birthday sign on his cake, but they seemed to have forgotten, and 2) they seated us at a table where the sun was shining in our faces, and glanced at us shielding the sun from our eyes on numerous accounts but did not choose to lower the sun shade. I did not expect this kind of unprofessional treatment, especially from such an esteemed restaurant as La Folie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific bday dinner!edsanfranVIPDined on 8/6/2014Went there for my bday and opted for the 5 course menu. They gave us 2 amuse bouches beforehand (roasted beet with hazelnuts, and a phenemonal tomato with egg in the shell). My favorites: escargots in marrow, scallop with oysters and foam, and the rabbit 4 ways. My gf truly enjoyed the corn chowder with fresh lobster, crabmeat with peaches, roti with squab and quail, and of course, the black chocolate fondant (which we both shared). A memorable meal that will linger in dream palettes for a long time.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/5/2014One thing that I want to say about this restaurant is that the cuisine worth the money. It was so amazing! The service was nice too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An excellent restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/4/2014La Folie is an amazing restaurant. The service is attentive yet nonintrusive. The food is simply delicious. The most memorable dish was the butter poached lobster.Special Features:
- Fabulous French food with a twistOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 7/31/2014La Folie is an institution. Chef Roland Passot's food never fails me for any special occasion. His food combines Classic French technique with modern, seasonal, and sustainable accoutrements. However, for this visit, the service was not as good as previous visits. Service was slow and inattentive, and each dish was presented without really telling us what they were. It wasn't the best experience for a Michelin-starred restaurant.Special Features:
- Madness?BruceDined on 7/30/2014La Folie it maybe but it is certainly not madness here at an extraordinary French restaurant. The degustation was given full makes by all 6 in my group. Content and presentation were equally excellent. Surely Mr Michelin this is more than 1 starSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent French foodwhatamessDined on 7/30/2014Excellent service. Excellent environment. Excellent atmosphere for dating. But not too much surprise with the food. Just the normal great French food.Special Features:
- Exceeded ExpectationsFatFoodieDined on 7/29/2014I had high expectations of La Folie and my expectations were exceeded. Out of 10 total dishes that we ordered, 7 were absolutely phenomenal. The other 3 were good. Presentation is gorgeous and portions are super generous. We barely made it through all five. Black cod, risotto, rabbit, roti of quail and squab, burrata salad, corn soup and duck egg were favorites.Special Features:
- La FolieNomnomnomDined on 7/28/2014The service was outs youngoing and the food phenomenal. A bit pricey but worth it. Great for anniversaries, birthdays, or any special occassion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Major DisappointmentfoodieforlifeDined on 7/22/2014We were very excited to try La Folie. The two complementary items from the chef were outstanding to begin the meal, unfortunately that is were it ended. The food was mostly inedible. We were shocked, surprised, and disappointed. The risotto was bland and mushy and the truffles even had no flavor. The escargot and pigs feet were so bad that we both took one bite and couldn't muster another attempt. Upon learning of our displeasure, the manager came over and just took our plates. No apologies, no offering to try something different, no taking anything off the tab. We have eaten at many fine dining and Michelin star establishments and this one by far was the worst. This is the first negative review I have ever given.
- awesomemikeDined on 7/16/2014food and service can not be beat. it is relatively expensive but you get your money's worth for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MagnifiqueOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/15/2014Attentive & knowledgeable service. Chef takes the time to make every guest feel special Spectacular ingredients. Wonderful Presentation. Just a delightful, wonderful evening. As good as any French restaurant we've experienced in DC, NYC or Houston.Special Features:
- Definitely a 2 start experiencehappyasaclamDined on 7/15/2014We finally entered the exquisite world of Roland Passot's La Folie last night. I had hesitated to visit a fine dining French restaurant here after returning from a 3 year sojourn in Lyon over a decade ago. I had the good fortune to partake of almost 25 European Michelin starred meals during my stay in France and I felt it was unlikely an establishment doing business here would be able to sustain and offer the same level of cooking, service and ambience that is found routinely in France. The cultural and economic differences seemed to me to preclude a master chef from offering a true French dining experience here. La Folie surpassed all expectations. Best recommendations? Duck egg starter, squab/ quail roti, Sunset chocolate decadence.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- La FolieTrufflesDined on 7/15/2014After researching on Trip adviser for a special place for dinner on our last night of our short stay in San Francisco, I settled on La Folie. It proved to be an outstanding choice. Service was warm / welcoming from the moment we arrived and yet not intrusive or over bearing. The food was simply superb in every respet. The Tasting menu was very tempting but in the end my wife and I chose 4 courses each. It was pleasing to see only a couple of the options necessatated an addtional charge. Caviar and truffles. My wife opted for the truffle extra with her Lobster risotto but at 20 dollars this was very reasonably priced and my wife assured me it was well worth it. The meal was accompanied by two refreshing and ineresting amuse bouche. Lovely.Special Features:
- Among the best in San Franciscoase1707VIPDined on 7/14/2014La Folie is a very special restaurant and a place where one can enjoy an excellent meal in a pretty room with fine professional service. This restaurant is not inexpensive, but my wife, grown son and I felt it was well worth the money. The menu is creative and the dishes are excellently prepared with a beautiful presentation. We enjoyed our meal here and will return in the not too distant future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What an experience!goodbyepuppyDined on 7/12/2014I am going to save everyone time--if you have a special occasion coming up or just want to treat that special someone out to a premier dining experience, book your reservation to La Folie now. I wish I had more time to go into detail, but allow me to give a quick summary: service was impeccable, the courses were one revelation after another, and the ambiance struck an ideal balance between upscale and accessible. Chef Passot even came out at the end of our meal to ensure that everything was perfect. Delightful man! I am definitely coming back again.Special Features:
- Exceptional trulyCloverinbocaVIPDined on 7/12/2014I myself did just the three course dinner while my girlfriend did a la carte. Not only timed perfectly but filled with chefs tastings thorought the meal. Then after all this elegance the chef came out to say hello. Maybe we ordered his favorite dishes who knows but is rarely seen this day in age. If we only lived in SF we would go at least once every couple months and cut out other lesser choices to do so.Special Features:
- Dinner here is a real eventbluenoseDined on 6/28/2014My wife and I were given vouchers for La Folie as a wedding present so we decided to cash them in last Saturday. It was easy to get a booking, they do 2 sittings each night, we went for the 6:30pm sitting which I initially thought was a little early but the whole meal took a relaxed 3 hours so it was perfect timing. Our waiter as fabulous, he explained the menu, gave recommendations and made sure our specific needs were catered for. The sommelier was also great (the chefs brother I believe) he guided us through the list and helped us settle on a lovely bottle of wine. The food was delicious! We had four courses and there were quite a few extras tasters which were a nice bonus. An all round great evening.Special Features:
- Taste of Passot Roe!AileenRRDined on 6/28/2014Best thing: The Taste of Passot Roe. I should have had another one of these instead of dessert. Nice portion sizes; 4 courses was plenty. Hot bread. Awesome service!Special Features:
- BrilliantraymondhuntleyDined on 6/27/2014I've dined in many countries, many cities.. rarely have I had a meal as good. Impeccable service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A FavoriteClaireDined on 6/27/2014We've really enjoyed this restaurant over the years. It's my husband's favorite restaurant in SF and we're always very excited to go back.Special Features:
- So Very Good!Cambria1VIPDined on 6/24/2014There should be more than 5 stars available for this restaurant for the various categories. Every course was impeccably presented, crafted with care, and cooked (or not) to perfection. The roti of quail and squab was fantastic; beautiful and delicious. Service was perfect and wine help was quite knowledgeable. The portions are not overwhelming, but in no way small; you just want to finish them, you want that one last bite of that particular flavor. It is clearly one of the best restaurants in the U.S. and it does remind my wife and I of some very fine restaurants in France, where we visit every 3-4 years.Special Features: