2316 Polk St.
San Francisco, CA 94109Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lafolie.com/
- Phone: (415) 776-5577
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
Friday & Saturday:5:00pm-1:00am
We are closed Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Years Day
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Roland Passot
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from La Folie
La Folie is a French restaurant located in Russian Hill of San Francisco. Chef Roland Passot, with his wife Jamie opened La Folie in March of 1988. He combines the freshest ingredients in exotic combinations. Each plate leaves the kitchen resembling art-a canvas of color and design that tastes even better than it looks. La Folie continues to be rated as one of the top restaurants, receiving a star from the Michelin Guide, 4 stars from the San Francisco Chronicle and 4 stars from San Francisco Magazine. In celebration of 21 years, The Passots have expanded their bar into a lounge located next door, perfect for before or after dinner drinks.Continued
**We thank all of our guests for voting La Folie
Best French Restaurant - 7x7 Magazine
Best French Restaurant - San Francisco Magazine
Best French Restaurant - SF Weekly
Best Restaurant - Eater SF
**We thank all of our guests for voting La Folie
Best French Restaurant - 7x7 Magazine
Best French Restaurant - San Francisco Magazine
Best French Restaurant - SF Weekly
Best Restaurant - Eater SF
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
La Folie - Best Restaurants in Russian Hill ›
La Folie reviews from OpenTable diners
185 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (150)fit for foodies (144)romantic (127)notable wine list (94)neighborhood gem (56)hot spot (18)good for groups (9)late-night find (6)vibrant bar scene (6)great for outdoor dining (2)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/18/2014You will not be disappointed. Incredible food and wine. Service was stellar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/17/2014We had a great experience dining here with a couple of friends after a small occasion. The staff were fruendly and helpful, despite the obvious pitfalls of going to a French restaurant. The food was very good, although I am not a fan of haute couisine, and the chef kept on sending little treats our way, allowing us to taste some items that were not on the menu. I chose a bottle rather randomly, and it was a great wine. I would try it again, but not for the budget conscious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SweetSpotDined on 11/15/2014We had an outstanding meal with impeccable service. Not stuffy or pretentious, it's just about the food. Beautiful dining room, warm and comfortable. Splurge on the caviar with lobster, potato blini with creme fraiche and the Miyazaki Wagyu ribeye!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant in the WestXtiparisDined on 11/10/2014This restaurant is perhaps one of the best restaurant in United states. The food is classy and inventive and the level of creativity of the chef surpasses many 3 stars Michelin even in France. The wine list is very interesting with great wines at very reasonable prices. One on the best culinary experience I had for years. Service is very efficient but not oppressive. Price are really affordable and for this type of experience in the best restaurants in Paris or New York one should pay triple. San Francisco has a gem.Special Features:
- One of the bestJR322VIPDined on 11/8/2014This continues to be one of my favorite restaurants in SF. I think it tops both Boulevard and Gary Danko. Can't figure out why they don't have more than 1 Michelin Star. The lobster risotto with shaved truffles were a knockout and we loved the beef tenderloin.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Honeymoon HeavenHONEYMOONDined on 11/6/2014a wonderful place for our first honeymoon stop . the staff was wonderful and many our dinner very special by adding special personal touches for our honeymoon. The dinner was GREAT, staff GREAT, PLACE DECORE GREAT I can't say enough great things HIGHLY RECOMMENDSpecial Features:
- WowMyfinds2uVIPDined on 11/5/2014It costs a pretty pennie, but it is as good as it gets. Delicious food prepared perfectly. A simple but varied menu with choices for everyone, and a wine list that matches perfectly. And a well appointed bar with generous drinks. The staff are personable and efficient. My only criticism was that we were in the back room and the lighting was way too bright for a romantic experience, but it was a minor problem, and they even lowered the lighting slightly when we mentioned it. I would return any time I wanted to impress my dining companion.Special Features:
- Great celebration restarauntGinnaBDined on 11/4/2014We came here after getting married at City Hall and it was a perfect ending to a wonderful day. The tasting menu and wine pairings were spot on. My only complaint is that we were too full by the end of the meal to really enjoy dessert! Thankfully, our server was very kind and boxed up the finishing petit fours for us to enjoy at our leisure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- spoiledfoodieDined on 11/3/2014A true Michelin star restaurant. We've been to a few Michelin stars in Paris and this one is on par, if not better. In our opinion, La Folie deserves 2 Michelin stars. We've tried 10 different dishes on the menu, including deserts. Every one of them was consistently unique and delicious, made from fresh ingredients. Amazing sauces, flavors and textures. Dream sommelier who reads your mind and gives you the perfect taste and paring tailored to your wine preferences. The place is a true San Francisco gem perfect for Birthday, Anniversary or just to indulge the senses of a foodie.Special Features:
- Great birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/1/2014Though the server was not warm or particularly friendly, she was knowledgeable about the menu. The food was outstanding, especially the caviar.Special Features:
- Food excellent, service rudeGrisstDined on 10/31/2014Food was very good. Table for nine, so we had most of the menu choices, compliments all around. However staff rude to the point that we will not return.Special Features:
- One of the very bestbengolVIPDined on 10/29/2014La Folie is, without a doubt, one of San Francisco's finest restaurants. The food is prepared with a technical mastery of French cuisine with beautiful presentations and generous portions. The ambience combines a sense of modern with warmth and class in a manner that is difficult to achieve and not often seen. The service was impeccable - about as good as one will ever find in San Francisco, of for that matter, anywhere. While many Michelin one star restaurants in the U.S. seem to be beneficiaries of ratings inflation (when compared to their European counterparts), this is not the case with La Folie. It deserves its reputation as one of the top three or four temples of gastronomy in San Francisco.Special Features:
- SpecialOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/27/2014Great place to celebrate a special night. Attentive staff and great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!MasaiMaraDined on 10/27/2014Went to La Folie with 2 clients and had a great time. Their tasting menus are really good and so are each of the dishes we tried. Portions are really fair and a 3 courses meal would be enough....but some many dishes are tempting that having 4 is a good compromise (get 5 if you have 3 hours!!). Service, wine and atmosphere were impeccable and the private rooms looks special. If you can take a quick look at the kitchen, you will be amazed by how much magic (and saucepans!) can happen in such a tiny place. Unlike any other place I have tried in SFO, this is actually calm and allow you to have a real conversation!Special Features:
- As always, amazingVioletHumDined on 10/25/2014I discovered La Folie shortly after I moved to SF in 1994 and since then I have been there at least 7-8 times. I have never been disappointed and have always left impressed with the inventiveness and sheer quality of the experience. Being consistently great over that period of time is difficult, being consistent and fresh/inventive is a rare thing. Our last meal was exquisite, with service and wine to match. They somehow manage to make it laid-back but at the same time retain a gentle formality that ensures the evening still feels special and of course romantic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Atmosphere & Service =greatCa1iforniaDined on 10/25/2014We would have enjoyed our first-time experience at La Folie more if the food were better. The Bay Scallops were very salty--overly so, both of us concurred. The tenderloin and lamb dishes were fine, but not overwhelming. We liked the amuse bouche. And the baked Alaska somehow lacked punch. Service and ambience=terrific.Special Features:
- Gastronomic PerfectionNotthesameVIPDined on 10/24/2014Simply amazing as always. Every item on the fall tasting menu was prepared to perfection. From the presentation, quality, portions and the unique flavors which were well balanced with the wine pairing. The staff are always top notch. Well done all the way around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 25 and CountingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/21/2014My wife and I celebrated our 25 year anniversary at La Folie. The food and the service were wonderful. The combinations of flavors and the presentation made for a true fine dining experience. We look forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first fine dining experienebc123Dined on 10/21/2014This was my first fine dining experience and I loved it. The food was delicious and beautifully presented. The amuse bouchers were a wonderful surprise (the first was my favorite). The servers knew the menu very well and made us feel so welcome and special.Special Features:
- Truly OutstandingHappyCoupleDined on 10/20/2014This was honestly the best meal of our lives! It was the first night of our honeymoon and we wanted to go someplace special- we couldn't have been happier we went to La Folie!! From the first bite, to the wine recommendation, to every single drop of sauce on the plate, we wanted to suspend time so we could stay in that meal. Eat slowly and let the flavors hit you, it was a beautiful meal and our highest compliments to the chef. Shell out the extra for the steak- it was the single best bite of food either of us has ever eaten. Look forward to going again for a special occasion in the future, as it was also the most expensive meal we've eaten, and know that it will be worth every penny when we go back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still one of the best in SFTheZmanVIPDined on 10/20/2014I have dined at La Folie on trips to SF for a quarter century. I wish the trips were more frequent. What a delight to sit in the front room, be served by attentive wait-staff, dine on high cuisine that is well planned, prepared and plated. We started with caviar. Delectable and uniquely served. Our first courses were like photographs out of a magazine, with flavor combinations and textures that matched their quality visages. My friends tried fish entrees and I enjoyed sweetbreads. The best I ever had. No breaded coatings or cloying sauce, just tender pieces in a light jus. Desserts were stunning. There is nothing on this menu that would disappoint. The wine list is wonderful. We did Pomerol then Cote-Rotie and were very pleased.Special Features:
- SJSHDined on 10/18/2014Nice place to celebrate special occasion! Asked to be seated in the green room! Sommelier is knowlegeable. Good service. Entrees were tasteful. The portions are bigger than most French restaurants I've eaten.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great serviceNameVIPDined on 10/17/2014Food was wonderful. Loved the goat cheese tatin. The poached lobster was cooked perfectly; excellent mixture of textures on the plate along with the sauce. The lamb was cooked as ordered (medium rare), but the sauces were outstanding. My brother thought the cauliflower soup had an excellent taste and sturdy, but too watery or too thick of a consistency. He loved his Wagyu beef. The miss was one of the sorbets (apple being the weakest; raspberry excellent). Chocolate fondant was perfect. Service was fine; a bit too structured and rehearsed, but not fussy or overly solicitous. Love the atmosphere - the place is just the right size for an intimate dinner or dinner with a few friends. And it definitely was not loud (kudos for that).
- Always wonderfulOldad41Dined on 10/14/2014Remains one of the most innovative restaurants, high quality ingredients, wonderful and warm service, beautiful preparation and delicious food on each course. My favorite in San FranciscoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A-MA-ZING! C'est vraiment la Folie!jujulebourgDined on 10/11/2014Lovely tucked away 5 star gem boasting reasonable 3, 4 & 5 coarse 'Folie' menues. Follow the Chef's savory line-up or customize your own. Bountiful affectionato wine listing ideal for pairing. Impeccable service ;)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely No Folly Here!FoodCriticSFVIPDined on 10/11/2014La Folie remains one of the best restaurants in the Bay Area. An outstanding wine list, exemplary service and a creative array of food choices. For serious foodies there's no way you can go wrong. Bring plenty of ca$h though. Prices start at $100 per person, excluding wine. Well worth it in my opinion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High Quality food worth the priceEnchanteVIPDined on 10/11/2014This is our second time here, and the food and service was fantastic as before. I have been to restaurants double/triple the price of La Folie with famous reputation, but we find La Folie waaaaayyyyy better, and fairly priced for the high quality dishes. Highly recommended! For the quality of food, quality of service, price point, I think I can safely say that this is the best French Restaurant in SF!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal, could be more special..applejaxVIPDined on 10/11/2014My girlfriend and I celebrated our anniversary at La Folie and were very impressed with the food. Having dinned at Gary Danko and Quince on previously I expected a similar experience with La Folie. At dinner I found that this was not the case, while most of the clientele was well dressed (one man in a tuxedo), several of the patrons were not. One couple dining near us was dressed in t-shirts, jeans, and sneakers, the wife spent the entire meal browsing on her iPad. Another group of 5 or 6 twenty year olds in jeans arrived with a infant only to sit for a few minutes then walk out. We felt this significantly detracted from what was otherwise a very good meal, service was very good despite never receiving a call to confirm our reservations.Special Features:
- Traditional excellenceJohnnyKDined on 10/9/2014Our dinner at La Folie was very well done in the classic French manner. Service was excellent but unobtrusive, food was beautifully presented and prepared with great detail. Great tastes and particularly great sauces.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Dining at its bestFineDinerDined on 10/6/2014The food was out of this world. The flavers, presentation, and service were all top notch. I would highly recommend this restaurant for an amazing fine dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special placeJimboDined on 10/4/2014Excellent food that is both visually and sensually stimulatingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining experienceDebsd222VIPDined on 10/3/2014This is as good as it gets for the overall Old School French Dining. Be sure to start with the caviar, it was the highlight of our meal. Everything was beautiful. Our only letdown course was a trio of oyster, scallop ceviche and hamachi. Everything was covered in TONS of orange roe, masking the favors of everything else. The scallop ceviche was in a creamy sauce, not acidic as I expected. Soft on soft, couldn't taste the scallop. That being said, everything else was really good . Love the bearnaise croquette and the tendon chip. The baked Alaska was gorgeous.Special Features:
- Super amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014The food is just a delight! Everything is delicately cooked and served. It is amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine DiningMIKEVIPDined on 10/1/2014We visited La Folie for my wife's birthday. She was excited because she has wanted to eat there for many years. I was hoping for the best. To our mutual pleasant surprise it turned out to be the most memorable dining experience we have had in at least the past ten years. The food was complex, exquisitely prepared, and most of all wonderful to eat! The dining room was relaxed and quiet, the service was attentive but not intrusive. This is truly a great restaurant and we will keep it at the top of our event dining choices. We thought it was a good sign that Jacques Pepin was having dinner at a nearby table with his wife and friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MJW1VIPDined on 9/30/2014Food and wine were superb-service was just as good.Special Features:
- Great food, service, presentationEntertainingClientsDined on 9/29/2014Absolutely every part of this meal was outstanding! Excellent service staff was very polite as they brought each course out, explained the ingredients, and even recommended how to eat it! Wine list and expertise was top-notch. Expensive, but worth it for the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Felt like I was back in ParisOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/24/2014This is one of the best French restaurants I've experienced in this area. It's a family-run business; after you dine you get to meet the chef, who comes to your table and asks how you enjoyed it. The servers explain the various dishes and how to enjoy them. The entire experience is more of a tasting: they present an impressive array of items in small portions. One of my guests, a priest from Versailles, very much enjoyed the Nouvelle Cuisine as a "taste of home" as well as the conversation with the chef and his brother, who serves the wine. It was a beautiful evening for everyone.Special Features:
- Amazing MealjtwurthDined on 9/23/2014La Folie was recommended to us by a friend stating that it was his favorite French restaurant in San Francisco. Did I mention our friend is a French Master Chef and a winner of the JBA. It lived up to our expectations. The food was perfection. Service was excellent. They were attentive and helpful. A dinner here will cost you but this was for our wedding anniversary so well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazinglovelyladyDined on 9/22/2014I went to la folie with my mother when we had a long weekend in San Fran .... I found it through tripadvisor ... It was a great restaurant! Everything was delicious, the service was awesome and everything in betweenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Alex C.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/20/2014I had an amazing time celebrating my wife's birthday. The service was impeccable and the food delicious. I really appreciate the attention to detail as we had food restrictions. It was a nice way to celebrate and will remember this night for a while.Special Features: