La Famiglia Ristorante
8 South Front Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
La Famiglia Ristorante
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lafamiglia.com/
- Phone: (215) 922-2803
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm,
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Gino Sena
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: La Famiglia can accommodate large parties of 10 or more. Please contact the restaurant for further information.
- Private Party Contact: Manager 2159222803
A word from La Famiglia Ristorante
The Sena family tradition of culinary excellence dates back to early 1947 when Carlo “Papa” Sena began to cook in postwar Naples. The family carried this experience across the Atlantic and opened La Famiglia in 1976 in the shell of a Colonial tea warehouse. Today, La Famiglia stands as the finest Italian restaurant in Philadelphia and a major landmark on the city’s vibrant restaurant scene.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
La Famiglia Ristorante - Best Restaurants in Old City ›
La Famiglia Ristorante reviews from OpenTable diners
73 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
notable wine list (49)special occasion (46)romantic (45)neighborhood gem (35)fit for foodies (32)good for groups (17)late-night find (6)great for lunch (6)great for brunch (3)hot spot (2)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Not what it used to beAntonioDined on 11/15/2014Dinner experience and food was good. It was quiet with no rush by staff - which was a plus. Unfortunately however La Famiglia is no longer the caliber restaurant it once was. Service was good but not great overall. Better experiences, food, pricing elsewhere. Sorry guys...need to improve overall including your Italian.
- Favoite Italian Food PhiladelphiaTonyluvsfoodDined on 11/6/2014Best , food , service in Philadelphia !!! The atmosphere, food, presentation and staff outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/1/20143 visits over 10 years when we have visited Philadelphia. Super each time.Special Features:
- Best of PhiladelphiaAviatorDined on 10/31/2014La Famiglia is the very best restaurant in Philadelphia. Giuseppe and his great staff will makes sure your dining experience and fantastic meal, are second to noneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ChoiceBenvenDined on 10/27/2014Classic Italian fine dining in a subdued ambiance. Returned after 20+ years and it is as good as remembered.Special Features:
- All that!ZdotesDined on 10/25/2014Many years ago this restaurant was recommended, we finally go to go on Saturday night. The food is so good, everthing we ordered good rave reviews at our table. It was priced higher than we were expecting, but it was worth every penny!Special Features:
- outstandingBmonkeysDined on 10/25/2014Even after all these years still my favorite for so many reasons..service ,delicious and relaxing. Outstanding wine choices!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Olive BeanQueenLemonDined on 10/24/2014Great food, great service and a great time. The wine encyclopedia was exceptionalSpecial Features:
- Another fantastic experienceTapperVIPDined on 10/10/2014La Familglia is a Philadelphia treasure. When you combine a beautiful venue with outstanding food and world class service the result is one truly special place to dine. Every time I go I feel welcomed like an honored guest. The service is friendly and warm. Don't be surprised when some of that service comes directly from members of the family who own the restaurant. In fact, they treat you like you are a member of their family. Spend plenty of time with the wine list because it's extensive. I highly recommend starting with the octopus followed by the taglietini with porcini mushrooms. After that, all of the main courses are sure to please. Save room for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special OccasionkbmdineDined on 10/4/2014We were celebrating our 25th Anniversary and we had a wonderful time the staff, wine list, food and atmosphere was perfectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Above and BeyondStanleymanlyVIPDined on 10/2/2014We enjoy a quiet restaurant. We enjoy leisurely dining. We enjoy good food, a nice wine, friendly service. Do you know how difficult it is to find a restaurant that offers all of that? We finally found one, in Philadelphia, family owned, well-prepared Italian food, nice wine at fair prices, and service that goes above and beyond. After a long day that included shopping, a doctor visit, a fascinating movie, we drove to Front street and found a parking space right out front. Too good to be true. The parking kiosk would not accept either of my two credit cards. It then rejected two dollar bills. We finally gave up and took the two singles into the restaurant. When it came time to feed the meter, the waiter volunteered to do it, and he did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent food and servicefamilyluvs2dineDined on 9/26/2014Great spot for a a special family dinner. Order the veal medallions. Out of this world!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding PastaAbravadoDined on 9/25/2014This visit was a major improvement over a recent Restaurant-Week visit, when I had some very disappointing veal. Because of that visit, I opted for a pasta dish this time, which was wonderful. We ate in the wine cellar, a very nice spot. It is important to know that this is an expensive restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining ExperienceJackDined on 9/18/2014A Wonderful evening of great food, excellent service and friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You cannot go wrong at La FamigliaDeliciousDined on 9/15/2014We thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of our dining experience. I would recommend this to everyone as a "must eat here."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy, romantic. Food was awesome!JulioDined on 9/12/2014Great service and ambience. Food was absolutely great! Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RushedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014Food was good, nothing too spectacular for Restaurant Week... but our entire three course meal was completed in about an hour and we're a family of slower eaters. There was about a three minute break between courses, which was overwhelming. The wait staff were very attentive, but sometimes it was a bit much. They clearly wanted a quick turnover.
- We Are FamilyStanleymanlyVIPDined on 9/11/2014After a broken pipe turned our basement into a pool we needed a night out, a quiet, welcoming restaurant with good food and good service. Found it all at La Famiglia. Warm welcome, a table in a quiet corner, outstanding service throughout. We enjoyed everything about the experience, the food skillfully prepared and handsomely presented, the wine chilled and crisp. It was restaurant week and we both chose from the special menu. Wife had the eggplant appetizer and I had the beet salad, both excellent. We asked for time between courses and got it. Wife's veal piccante was tender and not smothered in sauce as requested. My chicken breast cesare was fine. Dessert was a sampler of tiramisu, cheesecake and cream puff . We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PhewDined on 9/11/2014Very disappointed! Food mediocre at best. Ambience high class, as was service, so those in need of kitsch would love it; foodies will not.
- DependableSmoothVIPDined on 9/10/2014Restaurant week or not this place is awesome. The whole staff makes you feel like your part of La Famiglia. No matter what you order it is always great!!!!!!!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OMG! GreatniceVIPDined on 9/6/2014From the minute you arrive and they open the door you know service is going to be the tops. All the staff work seamlessly together for a great experience. Food is equally the same. Yes, the decor is dated but that is part of the charm. no rap music blaring, just soft conversation. great service and food to die for. will be back!Special Features:
- DineDrinkMerryVIPDined on 9/5/2014The food quality, preparation and presentation were perfect. The service was elegant. It is nice to dine somewhere they let you finish your cocktail and not pushing the next course while you are finishing one. The atmosphere is a bit stuffy and dated. It's quiet for a romantic evening, but a little soft music would have been nice. It was quite empty which is too bad- maybe 3 tables filled- makes it feel a little less festive. Definitely lived up to it's 4 decades of accolades for the chef. Thank you for a delicious evening!Special Features:
- Always superb.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/5/2014Consistently excellent and professional service. All servings had been expertly prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service!PeacefulinNJDined on 8/30/2014The service and the food is wonderful! Great atmosphere! Beautiful marble floors and steps. Huge wine list and wine cellar. Very nice experience!!! Will revisit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Treated Like FamilyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/18/2014If you want a place where it is about food and service, this is the place. Food was prepared and served to perfection. Staff was friendly and attentive. Best Branzino I ever had. Had an issue with one of my children not feeling well so we had to take him outside for fresh air. The owner graciously sat with my son while I was able to go back inside and finish my meal. And, on top of that, they comp his dinner. Where else do you get that type of service. We felt like part of the family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FABULOUS Food!PatriciaDined on 8/16/2014We chose La Famiglia for our special anniversary dinner (we have dined here before) and were so happy we did. Both my husband and I had the ravioli special for an appetizer. I had the Vitello al Pistacchio and my husband had the Veal Chop special. Both meals were DELICIOUS with generous portions. I was tempted to clean up my plate with bread. I had a vanilla mouse cake and my husband had a banana topped ricotta cheese cake and both deserts were to die for. Our wine selection for the evening was selected by the an experienced waiter and we were very pleased with what he chose. We'll be back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/16/2014This is my second time at La Famiglia and it is greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RayLDined on 8/16/2014Over all, just one great restaurant. I have been there a few times, and it never let me down. Great food, great location to walk around Phili after dinner, and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable First Experience !OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/2/2014My wife and I dined at La Famiglia Saturday night for the first time. First, the location couldn't be better across from the water and right at the edge of Old Town. Parking was no problem.. Restaurant has significant old-world design and wine list that's about 8 inches thick. Lobster & crab ravioli's for her.. Veal medallions with proscuitto, fresh mozzarella and a dab of marinara for me.. Both outrageous! The eggplant appetizer with truffle oil is indescribably great but the deserts were truly the icing. We had what would be the equivalent of a Napoleon, but unlike any you've ever had before with an essence of almond. Beautiful! Service was amazing; Managers/owners very attentive and caring. We are going back!!Special Features:
- classic and classydowningtowndinerDined on 8/2/2014Excellent restaurant, haven't been there for 30 years, but just as good as always in some ways. Food great (portions could be slightly larger), service is top notch, ambience is great/romantic, just a bit pricey ($375 for 5 people before tip). Must have desserts! The only complaint is that being such an old school, classic Italian restaurant, it would be nice if at least one server was not Mexican but instead an actual Italian...a little disappointing only in that it makes it seem a little less "Italian".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- La FamigliaMoniqueDined on 7/31/2014Our table was ready and waiting. The service was impeccable. The menu is extensive. The wine list is very thorough. Our meal was outstanding. This was a perfect choice for an elegant dinner for two couples who needed to hear each other and catch up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AverageNickCDined on 7/24/2014Went during old city restaurant week. First course came almost immediately but the entree was nearly 30 minutes after we were done with the first course. The staff is friendly but since they work as a team they often forgot at what point in the meal we were. Also, the wine by the glass menu doesn't list which wineries are featured so you have to ask. The staff didn't know the answers so they had to go to the bar to ask the bartender for the bottles. Very disjointed service. Food is mediocre. I had the NY strip steak and it wasn't up to what I would have expected from a fine restaurant.
- The following 720 reviews are from the La Famiglia Ristorante reviews archive.
- Weak Restaurant Week MenuFirstCCDRestWkDined on 7/23/2014The food for restaurant week sounded good, but was fairly disappointing. It felt like they may have prepared it ahead of time to be able to handle an increase in diners, but quality really suffered.
- a great birthday celebrationsandlitDined on 7/19/2014I took a friend there for her special birthday. The waiters were most attentive, the food was delicious and the ambience was lovely. They even made a special birthday cake out of eclairs for her and I never asked. I just said it was a birthday celebration. It's the perfect place for a celebration and I would most definitely go back there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining experienceDepodineDined on 7/8/2014Our experience at this restaurant was one of the best,if not the best, we have ever had. Fantastic food, fantastic staff and a warm wonderful owner. I have dined all over North America and this is one of my most memorable experiences. Thank you for the recommendationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- THE FINEST IN ALL PHILADELPHIA!!!!cal1dineVIPDined on 7/3/2014THE OTHER NIGHT I HAD THE GRAND PLEASURE ON DINNING AT THE FAMOUS LA FAMIGLIA RESTAURANT IN PHILADEPHIA. WELL LET ME SAY THIS IVE DINNING IN EVERY MAJOR RESTAURANT IN PHILA. THIS RESTAURANT IS THE FINEST- PURE ROCK AND ROLL. ITS SO RARE THAT WHEN YOU GET THE FINEST SERVICE,AMBIENCE,AND FOOD THATS TOTALLY BANGING. UPON MY ARRIVAL TO THE RESTAURANT I WAS GREETED BY THE AMAZING STAFF VERY EDUCATED FROM THE MENU TO THE FINEST WINE LIST IN THE COUNTRY. HAD THE GREAT TOUR OF THE UPSTAIRS DINNING FOR PARTYS AND THEN TO THE DYNOMITE WINE CELLER- THE BEST IN ALL PHILA. NOW THE FOOD THE COURES WERE THE POLIPO ALLA SENA OCTOPUS,2ND WAS THE 3-DIFFERENT HOMEMADE PASTAS ANF FINALLY THE VEAL CHOP THE MOST STUNNING ITALION FOOD EVER IN MY LIFE LOVE LOVE!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Dinner at La FamigliaGuestDined on 6/30/2014We had an outstanding special occasion dinner at La Famiglia, a classic Italian fine dining restaurant that combined excellent food with knowledgeable and attentive service, and supported with an incredible wine selection!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience in Philly!DonnaVIPDined on 6/26/2014Although I grew up in Jersey, I had never been to La Famiglia. We are visiting family and celebrating my birthday..and we loved the quaint yet historic feel to the restaurant! Excellent service from start to finish, excellent Amarone wine choice, and the meal was the best! Really glad we made time to have a special dinner here!Special Features:
- First RateKarenrVIPDined on 6/21/2014This restaurant is a place we visit for special occasions. The service is attentive without being intrusive. I had the Branzino, which was prepared as a whole fish and deboned tableside - very flakey and flavorful. My husband had a special veal with eggplant dish which melted in your mouth. For desert, we had a fruit flan where the crust was so buttery and flakey it was delicious. A wonderful experience as always!Special Features:
- Pleasantly ReceivedSunny2004Dined on 6/20/2014We had to adjust our reservation time secondary to traffic and they were incredibly gracious. Also they noted it was my boyfriend's birthday (via the open table reservation site) and brought him cake and a lit candle even after he refused dessert. (They even gave him the option to refuse the singing which he happily declined.Special Features: