La Famiglia Ristorante
8 South Front Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
La Famiglia Ristorante
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lafamiglia.com/
- Phone: (215) 922-2803
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm,
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Gino Sena
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: La Famiglia can accommodate large parties of 10 or more. Please contact the restaurant for further information.
- Private Party Contact: Manager 2159222803
A word from La Famiglia Ristorante
The Sena family tradition of culinary excellence dates back to early 1947 when Carlo “Papa” Sena began to cook in postwar Naples. The family carried this experience across the Atlantic and opened La Famiglia in 1976 in the shell of a Colonial tea warehouse. Today, La Famiglia stands as the finest Italian restaurant in Philadelphia and a major landmark on the city’s vibrant restaurant scene.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
La Famiglia Ristorante - Best Restaurants in Old City ›
La Famiglia Ristorante reviews from OpenTable diners
74 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
notable wine list (49)special occasion (47)romantic (46)neighborhood gem (35)fit for foodies (33)good for groups (17)late-night find (6)great for lunch (6)great for brunch (3)hot spot (2)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- It's been twenty years!BlackandblueDined on 6/17/2014I used to frequent LaFamiglia with a boyfriend from out of town. It was very romantic, the service was impeccable and we even got greeted by each of the waiters each time we went there. Well, the boyfriend is long gone and I now live in Delaware. My niece came to Philly for dinner and I suggested LaFamiglia for a get together! We had a fabulous meal with shrimp appetizers, bread, wine, and we each had the seafood fradiavolo. We even split a to die for berry, chocolate tarte! I would recommend this restaurant to anyone celebrating life!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/14/2014Our entire dining experience Sat nite was great in celebration of our 40th wedding anniv. Having travelled many times to Italy, we don't like to be rushed between courses. The staff got a curve-ball by our not ordering all of our courses at once, but they graciously went w/the flow. They were attentative, upbeat, and, true professionals. The food was delicious. Fava beans were a special treat - very well prepared with thin slices of cheese & pancetta; paccheri pasta, perfectly al dente w/an unctuous red sauce; salt crusted branzino w/ lemon/caper sauce, perfectly cooked; grilled veg terrine w/smoked mozzarella, paired nicely with the fish. Cream puffs, spnge cake - decadent . Thank you for making this a very special evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Experience!Strwbre13Dined on 6/14/2014The service and attention at this restaurant were amazing! The head waiter(manager?) made sure to come over and speak with us , told us about the great history of the place, how summer is slow for them but still good, and even comp'd my husband's dessert for graduating this weekend! The food was also spectacular. Homemade pasta, bread and desserts - you can't get much better than that! The shrimp ravioli was amazing and so was the walnut Napoleon - definitely recommended! And if you want to have a good laugh, or be in awe, ask for their wine list ;)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great ambiance!ACE1970Dined on 6/7/2014My wife and I came down to celebrate our anniversary, and we were not disapponted. The food was fantastic, the service was outstanding, and the overall experience exceeded our expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DominicDined on 6/6/2014The best italian i have ever had excluding my grandmothers cooking. The service and the showmanship of the waiters was exemplary. We will absolutely be making a tradition to go there for each anniversarySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding first time experience.UBSfoodieaDined on 6/5/2014What a great place. The food was outstanding, the service excellent, and the portions were not too big. We picked this restaurant on a whim for a special occasion and the four of us could not be happier. The lamb chops, the ravioli, the scallops, wow! Even all of the appetizers and desserts were terrific. Four food lovers give this place an A+. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun. Great Philadelphia ItalianTecpartnerDined on 5/31/2014Fantastic wine selection, the somalier was fantastic, and service was good despite a 40 minute wait, (even with a reservation).
- Birthday DinnerBdaydinnerDined on 5/31/2014Was everything I wanted it to be definitely will come back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverPricedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/31/2014Did not think the price was commensurate with the quality of the food. It was not bad but it was also nothing special.
- A Memorable 35thegodocDined on 5/20/2014Wanted a great place for our 35th anniversary dinner and this was perfect...impeccable, attentive service, excellent meals, lovely atmosphereSpecial Features:
- DisappointedDQuatVIPDined on 5/17/2014An hour and 30 mins from the time our entree was ordered until it was served. The long time was never acknowledge by the staff until I brought to their attention. Once they realized it was an issue we were ignored until they brought us our meal. A more attentive staff would have noticed this issue before we did It is unfortunate because the food and atmosphere were great. Based on the service experience I couldn't recommend the restaurant.
- Fantastic!SnigsDined on 5/17/2014A wonderful night with my family. The food was exquisite. The ambiance was unfounded. Definitely on my redo list.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/17/2014outstanding. perfect in almost every way. if I had to suggest something for improvement, I would say that the desserts could have been a little more varied, a little more interesting, a little more decadent. But frankly, everything was close to perfection: service, menu, food, ambience. I will go back -- and will highly recommend.Special Features:
- Wow!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/17/2014Went here with my wife for our anniversary. The food was beyond fantastic, the service was excellently personalized, and the atmosphere was quiet and romantic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian StallionOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/16/2014One of the best Italian meals I have had. The wine list is a book and quite extensive. This is a can't miss!Special Features:
- An Old FavoriteAl4UDined on 5/14/2014An intimate Italian restaurant owned by the Sena family, with an experienced wait-staff who are attentive but not overly so. The food is well prepared and tastefully presented. The Branzino, when available is a special treat, baked in salt and filleted artfully at the table. The Penne ala Famiglia is our favorite. A great meal and in our mind great value for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodIconoclastDined on 5/10/2014Up-scale with people who can drees. Patrons must not realize they are in a nice place.Special Features:
- Fantasticmkod121Dined on 5/10/2014It is always amazing at La Famiglia. The food is delicious, the wine list impressive, the scenery romantic, and the service impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delish!ValleyGirlDined on 5/9/2014My husband and I enjoyed a great dinner at La Famiglia. Dined there on Friday night; we had a reservation and were seated immediately. Staff was professional, knowledgeable and attentive. Food was very good, perfect portions. I had a pasta special and my husband had veal special - both excellent and we were given a complimentary after dinner aperitif. Great ambiance and background music.Special Features:
- Superb experiencePaulVIPDined on 4/26/2014La Famiglia lived up to its reputation. If you enjoy classical dining with great Italian food, this is the restaurant for you. All of the courses were excellent, BUT make sure you leave room for desertSpecial Features:
- La Famiglia NotAnthonyastromanDined on 4/24/2014Very nice entrance, reminds me of several great restaurants from days gone. It ended at the bar. We were constantly interrupted by a waiter that zero sense of timing. The noise level was such that I could not hear a casual conversation next to me. The bread on the table was stale. I had the veil special and found it like leather. Desert was not offered until we bludgeoned our waiter to tell us what was on the menu then after we ordered he forgot to bring it too us! Since I did not pay the bill this one time I cannot comment on the price but as l like to say "if it is not good I don't care what I paid" and this was not a place I would return to.
- Always excellentluv2eatDined on 4/24/2014Civilized. A place for lovers of beautifully prepared food. My it never change.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wine Lover's ParadisePalmer3465VIPDined on 4/19/2014Wine list is a thing of beauty. The wine cellar is a wonderful place. The food was very good.Servers were decent. The place is small and can get a bit loud. The lamb chops were very good. The wife liked the scallops. I guess I expected more from this grand old place. My son and his girl liked the filet.Pasta dish was perfectly prepared.The dessert's were decent. The wine list and the cellar are worth the visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most enjoyable!HarlowDined on 4/12/2014We had dinner at La Famiglia this past Saturday. The menu is varied and has something that will appeal to all. I had the veggie towers as a appetizer and they were to die for.......grilled veggies layered with smoked mozzarella and drizzled pesto. I had a pasta dish for my entre - why not in an Italian restaurant?? Mussels, crab, shrimp, clams in a white sauce over home made pasta - delish! Creme puffs drizzled with chocolate and a cappuccino for dessert and I was a happy gal! This is a wonderful place to celebrate a special occasion. We will definitely be returning.Special Features:
- Touring the wine cellar wasxxxxVIPDined on 4/11/2014Touring the wine cellar was a plus to the dining experience Wonderful service by the waiterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!ChuckVIPDined on 4/5/2014Simply put, La Famiglia Ristorante is the best Italian restaurant in Philadelphia. This is a true, high quality, high end rendition of authentic Italian cuisine. La Famiglia Ristorante is a great choice for special occasions--that celebratory "deal closing" dinner, important business guests, a birthday, or a special dinner with a group. Service, decor, and stand-outs like the Dover Sole, veal, and first class pasta dishes are all excellent. You will definitely pay for the privilege of dining here but it's so worth it. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Other than the pricing, youLoralsterDined on 3/22/2014Other than the pricing, you can't find much to complain about in this upscale restaurant. Food, service, atmosphere are all very good. Pricing for most on the main course dishes are what you would normally see as prices for "specials" in other upscale restaurants. Stay away from the "roll in dessert tray." Although delicious, the $12.00 price tag for a small slice of Tiramasu is way too much money to pay. For me, this is a special place for a special occasion. You will leave this restaurant with a full stomach and an empty wallet.Special Features:
- Old schoolM1narco1Dined on 3/22/2014During my search I was told by others that have visited that that the core was slightly dated but it was exactly what I was looking for. It was old school Philadelphia Italian restaurant. Our first contact was with the women behind the small bar as you entered they were helpful courteous and engaging. Afterward we were greeted promptly given a variety of foods to choose from and made our selections we were very impressed with the service and the food. The maître d' took time out of his busy schedule to talk to us about our visit what we expected what we like and how they could accommodate us. All in all very nice restaurant I would definitely recommend it againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great final night in Philly!AustinDined on 3/22/2014Edamame dumplings and tea soaked ribs would be enough by themselves, but add a bento box of desserts and a "Joy" cocktail, and we were beyond happy. This is a really cool place with great service, and I'm glad we found it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/15/2014Point blank was the best dining experience of my life!Special Features:
- Not For SeniorsHarryRVIPDined on 3/15/2014As patrons of La Famiglia for several decades, we were unpleasantly surprised by the slowness of the service our party of six experienced during this visit on 3/15/14.. We were in the restaurant for 90 minutes before receiving our first course, and spent a total of three and a half hours having dinner. Seniors should be warned that they might not make it all the way to dessert. The pricey wine list is also an issue. I believe it would be well to add some moderately-priced wines to the list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great choicePhillybrendaDined on 3/8/2014Really great restaurant!! Delicious food and nice relaxing meal. Nice setting. We happened to be near a loud table but overall a nice place for romantic dinner or small groups of diners. Not for kids.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Italian in PhiladelphiaBPDalVIPDined on 3/7/2014We recently returned from a 4 day trip in Philadelphia. We love Italian cuisine, so made a point of visiting as many Italian places as possible. La Famiglia was certainly the highlight of all of the restaurants we visited ! unbelievable wine list. The service was fantastic. We'll definitely be back on the next trip to Phil.Special Features:
- Poor service, average foodphillyfoodVIPDined on 3/7/2014The wait staff was unattentive. Waited nearly 15 mins before our table was approached and the waiter was seldom seen through the night. Some of the meals were cold when served while the others we right. In consideration of the prices for entrees at this establishment the expectation is much higher.Special Features:
- would returnMaggieDined on 3/1/2014We were given a table upstairs in a quiet place. Everything was perfect. The wine list was amazing. The waiters were very professional. Our only negative comment was that the service was a bit slow. Since we were in no rush,we didn't mind, but other diners might. we would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As usual everything aboutOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/1/2014As usual everything about the evening at La Famiglia was fantastic. 5 stars for everything from the service to the food.Special Features:
- La Famiglia Restaurant wasEllieDined on 3/1/2014La Famiglia Restaurant was superb. It has it all. Ambiance, excellent service and of course the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!peanutDined on 3/1/2014Our dinner at La Famiglia was truly amazing. All of the servers were very attentive, polite and professional. The food was so very delicious. We had an appetizer, entrée and dessert, and all were note worthy. The wine is expensive (and the wine BOOK daunting), but we were celebrating and decided to splurge. I would dine here often if I lived closer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/28/2014Wonderful experience overall. The food and presentation were top notch. Wine list was overwhelming but great for groups who love their wine! Will definitely be back!Special Features:
- An elegant and delicious dinner!BethDined on 2/26/2014The food was certainly absolutely delicious, but there are many restaurants in Philly where you can get really good food these days. What you can't find as easily is truly elegant service and ambiance. The service was perfectly timed. They were attentive, but not intrusive and everything, down to the beautiful candle on the table was perfect. We joked that we felt like we were in a restaurant the family of Downton Abby would have been pleased to visit. And the wine list - well - I think it's the longest of any restaurant in Philadelphia. This was truly an exceptional dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.