La Famiglia Ristorante
8 South Front Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
La Famiglia Ristorante
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lafamiglia.com/
- Phone: 2159222803
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm,
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Gino Sena
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: La Famiglia can accommodate large parties of 10 or more. Please contact the restaurant for further information.
- Private Party Contact: Manager 2159222803
A word from La Famiglia Ristorante
The Sena family tradition of culinary excellence dates back to early 1947 when Carlo “Papa” Sena began to cook in postwar Naples. The family carried this experience across the Atlantic and opened La Famiglia in 1976 in the shell of a Colonial tea warehouse. Today, La Famiglia stands as the finest Italian restaurant in Philadelphia and a major landmark on the city’s vibrant restaurant scene.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
La Famiglia Ristorante - Best Restaurants in Old City ›
La Famiglia Ristorante reviews from OpenTable diners
71 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelQuiet
romantic (46)special occasion (46)notable wine list (43)fit for foodies (27)neighborhood gem (23)good for groups (7)late-night find (4)hot spot (3)great for lunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Great food and service!PeacefulinNJDined on 8/30/2014The service and the food is wonderful! Great atmosphere! Beautiful marble floors and steps. Huge wine list and wine cellar. Very nice experience!!! Will revisit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Treated Like FamilyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/18/2014If you want a place where it is about food and service, this is the place. Food was prepared and served to perfection. Staff was friendly and attentive. Best Branzino I ever had. Had an issue with one of my children not feeling well so we had to take him outside for fresh air. The owner graciously sat with my son while I was able to go back inside and finish my meal. And, on top of that, they comp his dinner. Where else do you get that type of service. We felt like part of the family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FABULOUS Food!PatriciaDined on 8/16/2014We chose La Famiglia for our special anniversary dinner (we have dined here before) and were so happy we did. Both my husband and I had the ravioli special for an appetizer. I had the Vitello al Pistacchio and my husband had the Veal Chop special. Both meals were DELICIOUS with generous portions. I was tempted to clean up my plate with bread. I had a vanilla mouse cake and my husband had a banana topped ricotta cheese cake and both deserts were to die for. Our wine selection for the evening was selected by the an experienced waiter and we were very pleased with what he chose. We'll be back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/16/2014This is my second time at La Famiglia and it is greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RayLDined on 8/16/2014Over all, just one great restaurant. I have been there a few times, and it never let me down. Great food, great location to walk around Phili after dinner, and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable First Experience !OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/2/2014My wife and I dined at La Famiglia Saturday night for the first time. First, the location couldn't be better across from the water and right at the edge of Old Town. Parking was no problem.. Restaurant has significant old-world design and wine list that's about 8 inches thick. Lobster & crab ravioli's for her.. Veal medallions with proscuitto, fresh mozzarella and a dab of marinara for me.. Both outrageous! The eggplant appetizer with truffle oil is indescribably great but the deserts were truly the icing. We had what would be the equivalent of a Napoleon, but unlike any you've ever had before with an essence of almond. Beautiful! Service was amazing; Managers/owners very attentive and caring. We are going back!!Special Features:
- classic and classydowningtowndinerDined on 8/2/2014Excellent restaurant, haven't been there for 30 years, but just as good as always in some ways. Food great (portions could be slightly larger), service is top notch, ambience is great/romantic, just a bit pricey ($375 for 5 people before tip). Must have desserts! The only complaint is that being such an old school, classic Italian restaurant, it would be nice if at least one server was not Mexican but instead an actual Italian...a little disappointing only in that it makes it seem a little less "Italian".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- La FamigliaMoniqueDined on 7/31/2014Our table was ready and waiting. The service was impeccable. The menu is extensive. The wine list is very thorough. Our meal was outstanding. This was a perfect choice for an elegant dinner for two couples who needed to hear each other and catch up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AverageNickCDined on 7/24/2014Went during old city restaurant week. First course came almost immediately but the entree was nearly 30 minutes after we were done with the first course. The staff is friendly but since they work as a team they often forgot at what point in the meal we were. Also, the wine by the glass menu doesn't list which wineries are featured so you have to ask. The staff didn't know the answers so they had to go to the bar to ask the bartender for the bottles. Very disjointed service. Food is mediocre. I had the NY strip steak and it wasn't up to what I would have expected from a fine restaurant.
- a great birthday celebrationsandlitDined on 7/19/2014I took a friend there for her special birthday. The waiters were most attentive, the food was delicious and the ambience was lovely. They even made a special birthday cake out of eclairs for her and I never asked. I just said it was a birthday celebration. It's the perfect place for a celebration and I would most definitely go back there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining experienceDepodineDined on 7/8/2014Our experience at this restaurant was one of the best,if not the best, we have ever had. Fantastic food, fantastic staff and a warm wonderful owner. I have dined all over North America and this is one of my most memorable experiences. Thank you for the recommendationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- THE FINEST IN ALL PHILADELPHIA!!!!cal1dineVIPDined on 7/3/2014THE OTHER NIGHT I HAD THE GRAND PLEASURE ON DINNING AT THE FAMOUS LA FAMIGLIA RESTAURANT IN PHILADEPHIA. WELL LET ME SAY THIS IVE DINNING IN EVERY MAJOR RESTAURANT IN PHILA. THIS RESTAURANT IS THE FINEST- PURE ROCK AND ROLL. ITS SO RARE THAT WHEN YOU GET THE FINEST SERVICE,AMBIENCE,AND FOOD THATS TOTALLY BANGING. UPON MY ARRIVAL TO THE RESTAURANT I WAS GREETED BY THE AMAZING STAFF VERY EDUCATED FROM THE MENU TO THE FINEST WINE LIST IN THE COUNTRY. HAD THE GREAT TOUR OF THE UPSTAIRS DINNING FOR PARTYS AND THEN TO THE DYNOMITE WINE CELLER- THE BEST IN ALL PHILA. NOW THE FOOD THE COURES WERE THE POLIPO ALLA SENA OCTOPUS,2ND WAS THE 3-DIFFERENT HOMEMADE PASTAS ANF FINALLY THE VEAL CHOP THE MOST STUNNING ITALION FOOD EVER IN MY LIFE LOVE LOVE!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Dinner at La FamigliaGuestDined on 6/30/2014We had an outstanding special occasion dinner at La Famiglia, a classic Italian fine dining restaurant that combined excellent food with knowledgeable and attentive service, and supported with an incredible wine selection!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience in Philly!DonnaVIPDined on 6/26/2014Although I grew up in Jersey, I had never been to La Famiglia. We are visiting family and celebrating my birthday..and we loved the quaint yet historic feel to the restaurant! Excellent service from start to finish, excellent Amarone wine choice, and the meal was the best! Really glad we made time to have a special dinner here!Special Features:
- First RateKarenrVIPDined on 6/21/2014This restaurant is a place we visit for special occasions. The service is attentive without being intrusive. I had the Branzino, which was prepared as a whole fish and deboned tableside - very flakey and flavorful. My husband had a special veal with eggplant dish which melted in your mouth. For desert, we had a fruit flan where the crust was so buttery and flakey it was delicious. A wonderful experience as always!Special Features:
- Pleasantly ReceivedSunny2004Dined on 6/20/2014We had to adjust our reservation time secondary to traffic and they were incredibly gracious. Also they noted it was my boyfriend's birthday (via the open table reservation site) and brought him cake and a lit candle even after he refused dessert. (They even gave him the option to refuse the singing which he happily declined.Special Features:
- It's been twenty years!BlackandblueDined on 6/17/2014I used to frequent LaFamiglia with a boyfriend from out of town. It was very romantic, the service was impeccable and we even got greeted by each of the waiters each time we went there. Well, the boyfriend is long gone and I now live in Delaware. My niece came to Philly for dinner and I suggested LaFamiglia for a get together! We had a fabulous meal with shrimp appetizers, bread, wine, and we each had the seafood fradiavolo. We even split a to die for berry, chocolate tarte! I would recommend this restaurant to anyone celebrating life!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/14/2014Our entire dining experience Sat nite was great in celebration of our 40th wedding anniv. Having travelled many times to Italy, we don't like to be rushed between courses. The staff got a curve-ball by our not ordering all of our courses at once, but they graciously went w/the flow. They were attentative, upbeat, and, true professionals. The food was delicious. Fava beans were a special treat - very well prepared with thin slices of cheese & pancetta; paccheri pasta, perfectly al dente w/an unctuous red sauce; salt crusted branzino w/ lemon/caper sauce, perfectly cooked; grilled veg terrine w/smoked mozzarella, paired nicely with the fish. Cream puffs, spnge cake - decadent . Thank you for making this a very special evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Experience!Strwbre13Dined on 6/14/2014The service and attention at this restaurant were amazing! The head waiter(manager?) made sure to come over and speak with us , told us about the great history of the place, how summer is slow for them but still good, and even comp'd my husband's dessert for graduating this weekend! The food was also spectacular. Homemade pasta, bread and desserts - you can't get much better than that! The shrimp ravioli was amazing and so was the walnut Napoleon - definitely recommended! And if you want to have a good laugh, or be in awe, ask for their wine list ;)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great ambiance!ACE1970Dined on 6/7/2014My wife and I came down to celebrate our anniversary, and we were not disapponted. The food was fantastic, the service was outstanding, and the overall experience exceeded our expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DominicDined on 6/6/2014The best italian i have ever had excluding my grandmothers cooking. The service and the showmanship of the waiters was exemplary. We will absolutely be making a tradition to go there for each anniversarySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding first time experience.UBSfoodieaDined on 6/5/2014What a great place. The food was outstanding, the service excellent, and the portions were not too big. We picked this restaurant on a whim for a special occasion and the four of us could not be happier. The lamb chops, the ravioli, the scallops, wow! Even all of the appetizers and desserts were terrific. Four food lovers give this place an A+. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun. Great Philadelphia ItalianTecpartnerDined on 5/31/2014Fantastic wine selection, the somalier was fantastic, and service was good despite a 40 minute wait, (even with a reservation).
- Birthday DinnerBdaydinnerDined on 5/31/2014Was everything I wanted it to be definitely will come back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverPricedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/31/2014Did not think the price was commensurate with the quality of the food. It was not bad but it was also nothing special.
- A Memorable 35thegodocDined on 5/20/2014Wanted a great place for our 35th anniversary dinner and this was perfect...impeccable, attentive service, excellent meals, lovely atmosphereSpecial Features:
- DisappointedDQuatVIPDined on 5/17/2014An hour and 30 mins from the time our entree was ordered until it was served. The long time was never acknowledge by the staff until I brought to their attention. Once they realized it was an issue we were ignored until they brought us our meal. A more attentive staff would have noticed this issue before we did It is unfortunate because the food and atmosphere were great. Based on the service experience I couldn't recommend the restaurant.
- Fantastic!SnigsDined on 5/17/2014A wonderful night with my family. The food was exquisite. The ambiance was unfounded. Definitely on my redo list.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/17/2014outstanding. perfect in almost every way. if I had to suggest something for improvement, I would say that the desserts could have been a little more varied, a little more interesting, a little more decadent. But frankly, everything was close to perfection: service, menu, food, ambience. I will go back -- and will highly recommend.Special Features:
- Wow!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/17/2014Went here with my wife for our anniversary. The food was beyond fantastic, the service was excellently personalized, and the atmosphere was quiet and romantic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian StallionOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/16/2014One of the best Italian meals I have had. The wine list is a book and quite extensive. This is a can't miss!Special Features:
- An Old FavoriteAl4UDined on 5/14/2014An intimate Italian restaurant owned by the Sena family, with an experienced wait-staff who are attentive but not overly so. The food is well prepared and tastefully presented. The Branzino, when available is a special treat, baked in salt and filleted artfully at the table. The Penne ala Famiglia is our favorite. A great meal and in our mind great value for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodIconoclastDined on 5/10/2014Up-scale with people who can drees. Patrons must not realize they are in a nice place.Special Features:
- Fantasticmkod121Dined on 5/10/2014It is always amazing at La Famiglia. The food is delicious, the wine list impressive, the scenery romantic, and the service impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delish!ValleyGirlDined on 5/9/2014My husband and I enjoyed a great dinner at La Famiglia. Dined there on Friday night; we had a reservation and were seated immediately. Staff was professional, knowledgeable and attentive. Food was very good, perfect portions. I had a pasta special and my husband had veal special - both excellent and we were given a complimentary after dinner aperitif. Great ambiance and background music.Special Features:
- The following 691 reviews are from the La Famiglia Ristorante reviews archive.
- Superb experiencePaulVIPDined on 4/26/2014La Famiglia lived up to its reputation. If you enjoy classical dining with great Italian food, this is the restaurant for you. All of the courses were excellent, BUT make sure you leave room for desertSpecial Features:
- La Famiglia NotAnthonyastromanDined on 4/24/2014Very nice entrance, reminds me of several great restaurants from days gone. It ended at the bar. We were constantly interrupted by a waiter that zero sense of timing. The noise level was such that I could not hear a casual conversation next to me. The bread on the table was stale. I had the veil special and found it like leather. Desert was not offered until we bludgeoned our waiter to tell us what was on the menu then after we ordered he forgot to bring it too us! Since I did not pay the bill this one time I cannot comment on the price but as l like to say "if it is not good I don't care what I paid" and this was not a place I would return to.
- Always excellentluv2eatDined on 4/24/2014Civilized. A place for lovers of beautifully prepared food. My it never change.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wine Lover's ParadisePalmer3465Dined on 4/19/2014Wine list is a thing of beauty. The wine cellar is a wonderful place. The food was very good.Servers were decent. The place is small and can get a bit loud. The lamb chops were very good. The wife liked the scallops. I guess I expected more from this grand old place. My son and his girl liked the filet.Pasta dish was perfectly prepared.The dessert's were decent. The wine list and the cellar are worth the visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most enjoyable!HarlowDined on 4/12/2014We had dinner at La Famiglia this past Saturday. The menu is varied and has something that will appeal to all. I had the veggie towers as a appetizer and they were to die for.......grilled veggies layered with smoked mozzarella and drizzled pesto. I had a pasta dish for my entre - why not in an Italian restaurant?? Mussels, crab, shrimp, clams in a white sauce over home made pasta - delish! Creme puffs drizzled with chocolate and a cappuccino for dessert and I was a happy gal! This is a wonderful place to celebrate a special occasion. We will definitely be returning.Special Features: