1508 Walnut St
Berkeley, CA 94709Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Phone: 5108499995
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Entertainment: Live music every Friday and Saturday evening
A word from La Fable
A French Restaurant located in Berkeley, California.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
La Fable - Best Restaurants in Berkeley ›
La Fable reviews from OpenTable diners
21 reviews since April 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (10)great for brunch (9)great for outdoor dining (6)great for lunch (6)romantic (4)special occasion (3)kid-friendly (2)good for groups (2)fit for foodies (1)vibrant bar scene (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- great for brunch and lunchalexDined on 6/15/2014Was there for FATHER'S day. It was packed and service was a bit slow but it's understandable. Food is great, portions are generous and it is very affordable for brunch/lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014main dining room is fine - the upstairs where we ended up is very funky and not pleasant also ignored by staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed FeelingsHappyDined on 5/31/2014Charming location and decor. Wonderful music. Aromas and flavors were enjoyable. We arrived on time for our reservation yet waited to be greeted and seated. Table was not prepared. Once seated, we waited 35 minutes for anyone to speak to us. We tried eye contact and flailing arms only to be ignored. The guests at the next table were given their bill and they directed the server to assist us! Once food and drink were ordered it was another long wait to be served. If I were to return, I'd call in advance to verify if they are sufficiently staffed. I'll advise my friends accordingly. Lastly, a neighboring shop owner and his 2 kids used the area around and INSIDE the restaurant as a playground. Not pleasant. Overall, disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- La Fable needs workOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014Despite the classical French offerings, the food was just mediocre and in one case terrible. However, they were terribly understaffed and we had to wait for our food (which was cold) and we had to wait for our check 15 minutes. I would not recommend.
- a very lovely dinnercedarandeuclidDined on 5/17/2014La Fable was the perfect place for a mother-daughter dinner last weekend. Not too crowded, quiet and sweet, delicious food, and personable staff all contributed to an excellent experience. It seems like La Fable hasn't made a big enough name for themselves yet, because we had no trouble getting a reservation on a Saturday night, so go before it gets discovered. We asked for the scallops without the tomato sauce and they came in a perfect balsamic reduction, and the salmon salad looked and tasted beautiful. Nice wine, good coffee, hearty bread in the basket... everything was just what I hoped. highly recommend.Special Features:
- Folksy friendly French diningSerendipityUppityDined on 5/16/2014We have been here several times, often to see our friends play jazz (BabShad Jazzz usually plays once a month on a Friday evening). This is a great neighborhood restaurant; there's an outside deck upstairs and a small bar scene downstairs. The food is delicious and typical French fare but served in an unpretentious way. The setting is fairly plain and not at all fussy; families can bring children here without fear of wrecking the "atmosphere". The original Peets is just a few doors down and Walnut Square, which is where the restaurant is located, offers a small selection of charming shops. A great addition to the 'gourmet ghetto' scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service suffers with crowdPandDSnipDined on 5/11/2014The food and service really suffer with a large crowd. Mother's Day was quite bad, although we stuck it out. We never heard an apology for the long waits: 15 minutes to be seated; over 1 hour for food at the table. Most people had not been served. A couple left saying they had waited 1 hour.15 minutes. But at least we weren't any worse off than ALL the others seated on the top floor outside. The food is good, but the service awful when they're overwhelmed. We were served over 1 hour and 15 minutes after our reservation time. It's a hard business, so we appreciate the problems they suffer. BUT, a few apologies, especially from the proprietors, would go a long way to reduce customer anger & irritation. Our overworked waitress did apologize.Special Features:
- Wanted to like itRedbonemoDined on 4/25/2014Had a dinner with friends. When the onion soup came out I was worried about the rest of the meal. The cheese on the soup was not melted and the onion in the soup not carmelized. The salads where ok probably the best part of our meal. We ordered the beef stew served on puréed potato , the potatoes must have been instant so sad.
- The following 44 reviews are from the La Fable reviews archive.
- surprisingly goodElliotDined on 4/20/2014i couldn't get into the well known brunch places in berkeley, la note, venus cafe, etc.; was able to get in here, to my surprise. it was actually my surprise because the ambiance was great, the menu very good; as good as any of the other well known spots. the only down spot was that their service is spread too thin. they need more help. if they had that, their service would be better and i would have given them a 5 star ratingSpecial Features:
- Great little spotConnoisseur48Dined on 4/18/2014This is becoming more and more popular for good authentic French food at good prices, nice atmosphere, friendly owners and staff, nice light though the windows, cheery, above average food on top of that. Go there often, one of those "go to" places.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place, great ambienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/5/2014I had my girlfriend over, and we loved it! There were not that many people eating on a Saturday night, so it was really pleasant and quiet, we had a great, romantic evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall food was great, exceptLuv2eatDined on 3/30/2014Overall food was great, except certain sauces for the food was not served with the food ( I think they just forgot it). I love the caesar's salad, just perfect. The entrees were great too and so goes with dessert --- great macaroons and profitoles. I would surely go back to this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/30/2014Very very slow service. It seemed that they are extremely understaffed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A neighborhood gem tuckedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/29/2014A neighborhood gem tucked away off the beaten path. There are very few quality brunch places in the area that take online reservations, luckily this is one of them. The food is always wonderful. The service is a touch slow, but it's because they are always busy. The food is top notch, and not very expensive. It's a nice open space, my group got to enjoy watching the rain while we drank hot coffee. The city parking meters outside are weird, they only seem to give you about 20 minutes a time (yes, I pushed all the buttons). We'll definitely be coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely ambienceofftheboardDined on 3/9/2014this is a welcoming space with great outdoor seating on upstairs deck as well as downstairs in the shared courtyard. Service was attentive and there was none of the loud music others have mentioned. The salad (Caesar) was very good, just the right amount of dressing, crisp romaine (though cut, not torn); boeuf bourguinon was tasty and a satisfying portion. It was also served at the right temperature (hot). The rack of lamb was somewhat disappointing as it was lukewarm,, verging on cold, by the time it arrived at the table. Also, at the price, I had expected the chops to be a little more substantial. Would love to return and try for lunch or breakfast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thanks for making an excellentDisappointedDined on 3/2/2014Thanks for making an excellent croque monsieur! It's something that is difficult to find these days in the Bay Area. In addition, theEeggs Benedict were also quite good. We'll return for brunch in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Kid on the Block - Keep TryingUrbaneDined on 2/7/2014This open spacious and friendly venue was a pleasing destination on a rainy night. There weren't many other diners, which says either people hadn't discovered it yet, or the neighbors expect more. The bar was lively with patrons watching the opening ceremony of the Olympics. The penne pasta with pesto, sun dried tomatoes and a few prawns was good comfort food. My dining partner's entree was scallops with tomato sauce, but it was more like tomato paste without the seasoning. The vegetable gratin was very good though. The wine list descriptions gave a grape and region of France - in French, but the French don't use a single grape in their wines and the only thing the waiter could tell me was that he likes red with everything - obnoxious.
- A keeperOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/1/2014Fresh and delicious salad,tasty satisfying pasta. very pleasant ambience and thoughtful service. a real find in a neighborhood that has lots of good places to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming, light filled spacedDisappointedDined on 1/19/2014Charming, light filled spaced with great food. If you're looking for an authentic croque monsieur, look no further. This one's terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Major disappointment!EssieDined on 1/18/2014If you must go to this restaurant, be sure to find out if music is on the menu.....deafening live music that ruined an already dubious dinner. We were seated promptly but it took 45 minutes for bread to appear and a hour and 15 minutes for our food to arrive. And when it did arrive, it was only mediocre. The setting is very attractive, the prices are modest and our waiter was apologetic, but the evening was not a hit. I regret having to give such a negative review but we regretted setting foot in La Fable.
- Classic French BistroJazmineDined on 1/11/2014Oh la lah, the lamb chops were perfect, the zucchini side was fabulously light, the drinks were of a good size, and the music and posters gave a warm ambiance to a girls night out at the theater.Special Features:
- Just gets betterFoodieLesDined on 12/23/2013La Fable revamped their menu and improved many items...the File Mignon has 2 options for butter (yummy). The lamb chops are served with couscous and on the night that we attended, they served an excellent zucchini gratin. I also tried the goat cheese salad - excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Group dinnerAntonioDined on 12/16/2013We had a group dinner of 20 people. Every meal and drink arrived on time, very attentive staff and the food was very delicious. Will come back here for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Pet Friendly Brunch Spot!Elles26Dined on 11/16/2013I loved their roof top patio area and the food was great! The location is a bit further from the main Berkeley craziness so that was also really refreshing. We will definitely be back here with our pup and for more of the bread basket! Good coffee too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best small restaurantFoodieDined on 11/11/2013Have eaten here multiple times. Great food. Attentive service, and great atmosphere. Also kid friendly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A tasty changePlumDined on 11/6/2013La Fable is a much more pleasant restaurant than its predecessor. It's bright, clean, and inviting. I had a tasty filet mignon with peppercorn sauce, delicious zucchini gratin, and a nicely-dressed salad of baby greens for a very reasonable price. My partner had a salad of baby greens (which could have had a bit more dressing, but less is better than overdressed), shrimp with a lovely pesto sauce and sun-dried tomatoes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood & deliciousBerkeleyHIllDined on 10/11/2013Relatively newly opened, it's a neighborhood gem. In one week I went for lunch and for dinner (different days.) The cheese plate had very 5 generous servings of ripe and tasty cheese choices. We easily shared the Cesar salad. The onion soup was rich and delicious. Beef Bourguigon super tender with just about the best mashed potatoes I've tasted. Good wait staff. Moderately priced for repeat business. I'll be back.Special Features:
- Looks like a new fun spotfarpointdiveDined on 9/29/2013Looks like a new fun spot for brunches...excellent French style omelets and cheese...the only way I like omelets and cheese. =Looking forward to other experiences, like lunch and dinner.Special Features:
- La Fable is an intimate spotGotrock49Dined on 9/14/2013La Fable is an intimate spot with a sound level that will allow quiet conversation. The food was very good and the prices were reasonable. My wife and I shared the cheese plate, which was excellent. This would be a great place for a romantic meal in North Berkeley. Service was excellent, without being overbearing. A great find.Special Features:
- Good neighborhood placecharlieDined on 9/13/2013downstairs had music, upstairs quieter and great deck. Staff quite nice and attentive. Lobster bisque delicious, good cold Macon Village.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This restaurant can be goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2013This restaurant can be good and it can be mediocre. The owner is very nice and it is close to our home, which is nice. We have had a couple of mediocre to bad food there and will try it again as we would like to see it exceed.
- Fabulousninav364Dined on 9/7/2013Very intimate atmosphere, with music on the background and very attentive staff. Several options for sitting - by the bar, in the main dining room on the bench with pillows ,or low chairs around a coffee table; outside under umbrellas, or upstairs. We came early and did not get to listen to the full music program, only listen to the group rehearsal. Next time, will get the music schedule. Food was great, no long pauses between the dishes. I asked for a horseradish with my lamb chops, and our waiter gladly found it. They will gladly accommodate your choice of side dish or way of cooking your order. Friendly, non-starch environment on a quiet street (easy parking). Will be back to explore the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great evening!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2013Had a great evening at La Fable on Saturday night. Service was perfect--didn't feel rushed through the meal. My filet mignon was perfectly cooked and the french onion soup was delicious. My partner had the beef bourguignon with a salad to start and he said both were very good. There was an excellent jazz trio that really made the evening for us. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Great Saturday evening outingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2013The food was great, the staff friendly and the band was excellent. This place has become one of our favorites!Special Features:
- Nice Place For LunchVocalPelicanDined on 8/3/2013Loved the hot tea presentation! Service was a bit slow, but it could have been an exception -- not the rule. Definately a chick restaurant -- a fabulous place to meet a friend or two for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would give it another chanceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2013This was our first dinner at La Fable, and our experience was mixed. My husband and I shared a charcuterie and cheese plate: we both enjoyed the cheeses, but my husband, while enjoying some of the charcuterie, missed having some mustard, and couldn't get the waitress' attention to request some. I enjoyed the goat cheese and greens salad I selected as an entree, but my husband said that his steak, while cooked to his liking, was only lukewarm, and his fries were barely done. He did however particularly enjoy a glass of 2009 cabernet which he said was perfect with the steak. We'll definitely try this restaurant again, and will probably order from the pasta menu, which they have been serving longer than the meat entrees.Special Features:
- Love this placeNancyDined on 7/26/2013This is a lovely new place that we've been to 3x now. Really loved the French onion soup. Varied menu provides happy choices for all. Friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingMoxeDined on 7/10/2013Service with a smile, but incompetent.Food was mediocre,especially for the price. Had to send a dish back, the beef stew was super dry. It took 20 minutes for pasta to be served while we waited, not too bad, but was disappointed when, after only eating half of my meal, as everyone else had finished theirs, I asked for it to be wrapped to go...and they accidentally threw it out. I was charged for it anyway. That should never have happened.
- great if you know what to orderOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/6/2013We happily discovered that we can still order items that are not on the menu: 1) Sweet Cheese Crepes, and 2) Eggs Benedict. However, the availability of these off-menu items depends on which chef works that day (only Modesto knows how to make these items really well), and which waitress works that day (only Alma knows exactly how to order the items, and how to serve them best). This means we have to always call ahead of time to check on availability, and I wish those items were just put on the regular menu since they are the reason we come to this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Brunch Spot with Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/30/2013Made a reservation for a Sunday at 10am for our monthly ladies brunch (read: gossip session ;). We arrived early and were seated right away, even though one was running late. The menu was great; a nice selection of both standard breakfast and lunch entrees, as well as some specialty items. I had Eggs Florentine and was very happy. The mimosas were made with fresh squeezed orange juice and the coffee was great too; just strong enough, nice & hot, and my cup was never empty. The other ladies all ordered breakfast as well and were also happy with their meals. The real star here was the service. Always there when you needed something but never hovering. Even on a Sunday morning, they didn't rush us out and we were able to sit and gab away!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.