114 Kenmare Street
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://esquinanyc.com/
- Phone: 6466137100x2
- Hours of Operation:
Brasserie Dinner: Daily: 6:00pm - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Erik Osol
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: No
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Cafe, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Entertainment: Selected DJs 10pm - 2am daily
A word from La Esquina
La Esquina is an authentic Mexican Restaurant, Taqueria and Tequila Bar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
La Esquina - Best Restaurants in NoLita ›
La Esquina reviews from OpenTable diners
123 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelEnergetic
hot spot (80)vibrant bar scene (58)good for groups (54)fit for foodies (51)late-night find (50)special occasion (44)romantic (41)neighborhood gem (35)great for outdoor dining (4)scenic view (4)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (2)notable wine list (2)Show More
- I liked IT a lot !In Spite being 63OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014A son of mine told me to come I tried since may 13 to go to La Esquina, But is Very difficult to book. Last year I phoned twice From Buenos Aires, and could not book IT I received Very Good service,and excellent Food !I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014If you can get a reservation you should really try the corn; it's the best I ever had! And have some tequila to get the night going - they really taste as good as they say. we tried 5 different dishes and they all exceeded our expectations and it wasn't pricy at all except for the drinksSpecial Features:
- Awesome find!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/12/2014From the outside, this looks like a corner stop for cheap mexican. But downstairs is an amazing gem in a formal dining room. The food was amazing and the service was good. We loved it!Special Features:
- Food is good, service is awful.ASNYCVIPDined on 9/12/2014From the moment you step in there are people trying to pushing you to order, eat and leave as fast as you can. Food is good, not amazing. Place is nice but it has a reputation that doesn't live up to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our First SpeakEasy - Amazing!debinbcDined on 9/7/2014We were looking for a speak-easy experience and La Esquina was recommended to us. The total experience was very memorable from finding the restaurant (not knowing what a speakeasy was) to walking thru the kitchen to the bar and then to the food. And tequila - amazing selection of tequila!! Food was so good - we thought the grilled octopus was the best and dessert was a coconut cake that was outstanding. Bring a sweater - the air circulates and can be cool depending on what corner you're in. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy Mexican foodAussiedancerDined on 9/7/2014The food here is outrageously yummy. I started off with the corn, whilst being a bit awkward to eat, is too delicious to even think about how you look. Then I got the soft tacos with chicken. While they look small, once you dig in you will feel full very quickly. I had the chocolate pudding for desert. Too big for one person to eat, this meal would be great shared. I tried to get through as much as I could because it was so tasty!! The waiters here are a bit pretentious but the food is worth all the hooplah. I got lost at first, as there is no sign or doorway that say 'La Esquina'. I found the doorman (!) and he told me to go downstairs, get m name checked off and wait at the bar. All in all it was a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a Good TimeTonyJVIPDined on 9/4/2014I love this place; the food, the drinks, and the people. Always my favorite place. Order the congrejo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/2/2014Strong and welldone food. Nice place and nice staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicous mexican food!AussiesinnycDined on 8/30/2014Had a great server who did the ordering on our behalf as we had never been before. We loved everything that he ordered. Would definitely recommend to other. Thank youSpecial Features:
- ExtexanOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/26/2014Great atmosphere and food! Will definitely go back!Special Features:
- IncredibleDined on 8/24/2014Been here once before and one of my favourite restaurants ever! The atomosphere is amazing, the staff are attentive and the food is delicious. Recommend to everyone of my friends who visits New York.Special Features:
- AwesomeKookyDined on 8/21/2014Great food and atmosphere. Loved the hidden aspect of the dining area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NYCtouristDined on 8/21/2014On a tight schedule so only sampled a small selection. Highly recommend the tostadas. Seating is very cosy, can listen to others conversationsSpecial Features:
- Best Mexican in NYCKaiTravelingBearDined on 8/20/2014Period. Nothing else to add, but that after 2 days I can still vividly recall the awesome taste of the food. Would move in, but I can't really afford it...Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/18/2014Food and margaritas were excellent! Great tacos and ceviches!! Loved the spicy margaritas! Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itLondongirlDined on 8/15/2014We managed to get a table for 6 at 6.30p last minute for a Friday night. The food was great, the place was really cozy in a trendy/fun style. They make quite an experience out of it sending you down the dark stairs where you find a great secret bar and restaurant. There is a private room for parties which I am sure would be great too!Special Features:
- Service appallingFoodie0000Dined on 8/14/2014The waitstaff were so rude, everything seemed so difficult for them even though all we asked them was for food and drinks aka what they are employed to do. I really loved the amount if eye rolls I got when asking for a drink . The bar staff were fabulous but the maître de and waiters were not.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- That quesoIlovecarnitasDined on 8/13/2014I came here for my birthday with a group of my best friends and it was perfect. I had a wonderful evening and cannot wait to come back again. I consider myself quite the Mexican food snob and this lived up to my crazy standards. The quest fundido and the pork shoulder tacos...I have had reoccurring dreams about since.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not your average Mexican restaurantCoogeeDined on 8/12/2014La Esquina. How can you not like a place that you have to enter through a taco take out joint? You go through the weighty metal door, down the stairs into a restaurant that is buzzing. No stodgy tacos and refried beans here. The food is fresh, light, and tasty.Special Features:
- SuperdrandresvDined on 8/11/2014I love the food, and I love the VIP level, the staff was amazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic experienceAnnaDined on 8/10/2014We went on our last evening of our vacation and it was a great visit. Fantastic food, good service and an exciting and cool downstairs. We were very pleased with our visit. The only negative was the requirement to confirm our reservation for which we had to call several times before coming through, however, this was just at the time of confirming, overall the visit at the restaurant was very very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- christelDined on 8/10/2014very nice place, i enjoy this restaruant to try it's famous, i really recommand this restaurant to the French touristSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go here every time I'm in NYCOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/8/2014Super loud so don't expect much conversation and very very jammed full. But the foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Mexican FoodFoodLoverDined on 8/8/2014This place has real authentic Mexican food, though it is really tough to get a reservation! Though it is worth to wait on the telephone ...Special Features:
- Hidden treasureElliDined on 8/5/2014Who could have guessed what was hidden underneath the bland facade? Well, I'd read about it but still didn't know what to expect. Amazing and cool restaurant with great service and food. One of a kind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool place and nice foodAnjaZDined on 7/30/2014Really love this cool place, with great food and drinks! However service is too fast!Special Features:
- Awesome ambiance, even better foodericjaffe99Dined on 7/29/2014This place is spectacular. From the minute you walk in, you're taken on a rememberable experience that provides delicious food, tasty drinks, and an energetic atmosphere that is bound to keeping you coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingKtsstarsDined on 7/27/2014Absolutely amazing - totally cool, quirky and one of the best restaurants I have ever been to. Staff are kind and friendly and the food is so tasty I could have eaten it again for breakfast - I loved it their!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Greatbb22Dined on 7/27/2014La Esquina has great food and such a fun atmosphere. Always want to go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- too cool waitressOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/21/2014Only thing I would chnage is the employees. They are too cool and seem like they don't want to work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingArlaDined on 7/20/2014One of my new fav restaurants in NY. Best Mexican food ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/15/2014Amazing good!! Best modern tapas style Mexican I have had (and I love Mexican). Great cocktails and staff are very friendly and helpful. Mood was awesome (dim lighting) and overall I loved it!! Definitely recommend :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So cool!StoneDined on 7/9/2014Amazing Mexican restaurant, one of my favorite places in NYC. The corn is outstanding and everything else on the menu is amazing! However, it is hard to get a table so make sure you book 21 days to the day by phone or 20 days to the day via opentable. A NYC must!Special Features:
- Don't judge a book by it's cover...Designdivaof3Dined on 7/9/2014When we arrived I wasn't sure what all the hype was about..but then we were taken downstairs to a magical dining room with amazing atmosphere, fantastic food and great staff. So glad we picked this restaurant, and you will be too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's like a speakeasy!kaneandlynDined on 7/6/2014Our good friends recommended this place to us - they told us about how confused they were when they arrived because it was a diner. It was a very novel experience for visitors coming all the way from Australia! Like them, we were directed through a door down to the basement past the kitchen and into a very happening scene. It's a little squeezy but the staff were attentive and they had a wonderful margarita range (I had the jalapeno infused one then the watermelon one!). I recommend the grilled street corn (because it's simply delish!), the chicken rotisserie tacos with cilantro, the ceviche blanco and the ribs. We had about 8 small dishes for four of us and they were all yummy! Beware - the desserts are huge!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/6/2014Great speakeasy experience and ambience once inside the restaurant. For a table of four on a Sunday night, the service and cadence with which courses were served was excessively slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Its a winnerkcb1Dined on 7/6/2014Amazing my favorite mexican, the food is so good, especially the ribs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sendelbeDined on 7/6/2014Good food, margarita was okay - have had better elsewhere. Server started out as friendly but basically tossed the dessert menu on our table without a word, and didn't return until we asked for the check. Started out as decent service but felt like we were on their timetable to flip the table and have had better waitservice from chain restaurants easily.Special Features:
- Love this place!!!SomeChickDined on 7/6/2014The drinks and food at La Esquina are some of my favorites. You are not going to beat their margaritas or tacos...ever. The atmosphere is amazing and it's my go-to for special celebrations in NYC. It is a little pricey (for me) but it's New York and the food is great so well worth it. Just make sure you make a reservation well in advance like a week & a half. Seriously.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Queso Fondito everTanyaTDined on 7/1/2014My husband and I loved the food. The dining is Tapas style, and so probably perfect place for 4 people to dine. We ordered too much for the two of us; so I would recommend starting off with a couple plates and add more plates if needed. I thought the Queso Fondito was the best i had ever had. Server was very helpful. Seating is a bit tight but comfortable enoughSpecial Features: