114 Kenmare Street
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://esquinanyc.com/
- Phone: 6466137100x2
- Hours of Operation:
Brasserie Dinner: Daily: 6:00pm - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Erik Osol
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: No
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Cafe, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: email@example.com
- Entertainment: Selected DJs 10pm - 2am daily
A word from La Esquina
La Esquina is an authentic Mexican Restaurant, Taqueria and Tequila Bar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
La Esquina - Best Restaurants in NoLita ›
La Esquina reviews from OpenTable diners
126 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelEnergetic
hot spot (83)vibrant bar scene (60)good for groups (55)fit for foodies (47)special occasion (44)late-night find (44)romantic (38)neighborhood gem (33)great for outdoor dining (5)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (3)scenic view (3)notable wine list (1)Show More
- ExtexanOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/26/2014Great atmosphere and food! Will definitely go back!Special Features:
- IncredibleDined on 8/24/2014Been here once before and one of my favourite restaurants ever! The atomosphere is amazing, the staff are attentive and the food is delicious. Recommend to everyone of my friends who visits New York.Special Features:
- AwesomeKookyDined on 8/21/2014Great food and atmosphere. Loved the hidden aspect of the dining area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NYCtouristDined on 8/21/2014On a tight schedule so only sampled a small selection. Highly recommend the tostadas. Seating is very cosy, can listen to others conversationsSpecial Features:
- Best Mexican in NYCKaiTravelingBearDined on 8/20/2014Period. Nothing else to add, but that after 2 days I can still vividly recall the awesome taste of the food. Would move in, but I can't really afford it...Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/18/2014Food and margaritas were excellent! Great tacos and ceviches!! Loved the spicy margaritas! Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itLondongirlDined on 8/15/2014We managed to get a table for 6 at 6.30p last minute for a Friday night. The food was great, the place was really cozy in a trendy/fun style. They make quite an experience out of it sending you down the dark stairs where you find a great secret bar and restaurant. There is a private room for parties which I am sure would be great too!Special Features:
- Service appallingFoodie0000Dined on 8/14/2014The waitstaff were so rude, everything seemed so difficult for them even though all we asked them was for food and drinks aka what they are employed to do. I really loved the amount if eye rolls I got when asking for a drink . The bar staff were fabulous but the maître de and waiters were not.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- That quesoIlovecarnitasDined on 8/13/2014I came here for my birthday with a group of my best friends and it was perfect. I had a wonderful evening and cannot wait to come back again. I consider myself quite the Mexican food snob and this lived up to my crazy standards. The quest fundido and the pork shoulder tacos...I have had reoccurring dreams about since.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not your average Mexican restaurantCoogeeDined on 8/12/2014La Esquina. How can you not like a place that you have to enter through a taco take out joint? You go through the weighty metal door, down the stairs into a restaurant that is buzzing. No stodgy tacos and refried beans here. The food is fresh, light, and tasty.Special Features:
- SuperdrandresvDined on 8/11/2014I love the food, and I love the VIP level, the staff was amazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic experienceAnnaDined on 8/10/2014We went on our last evening of our vacation and it was a great visit. Fantastic food, good service and an exciting and cool downstairs. We were very pleased with our visit. The only negative was the requirement to confirm our reservation for which we had to call several times before coming through, however, this was just at the time of confirming, overall the visit at the restaurant was very very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- christelDined on 8/10/2014very nice place, i enjoy this restaruant to try it's famous, i really recommand this restaurant to the French touristSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go here every time I'm in NYCOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/8/2014Super loud so don't expect much conversation and very very jammed full. But the foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Mexican FoodFoodLoverDined on 8/8/2014This place has real authentic Mexican food, though it is really tough to get a reservation! Though it is worth to wait on the telephone ...Special Features:
- Hidden treasureElliDined on 8/5/2014Who could have guessed what was hidden underneath the bland facade? Well, I'd read about it but still didn't know what to expect. Amazing and cool restaurant with great service and food. One of a kind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool place and nice foodAnjaZDined on 7/30/2014Really love this cool place, with great food and drinks! However service is too fast!Special Features:
- Awesome ambiance, even better foodericjaffe99Dined on 7/29/2014This place is spectacular. From the minute you walk in, you're taken on a rememberable experience that provides delicious food, tasty drinks, and an energetic atmosphere that is bound to keeping you coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingKtsstarsDined on 7/27/2014Absolutely amazing - totally cool, quirky and one of the best restaurants I have ever been to. Staff are kind and friendly and the food is so tasty I could have eaten it again for breakfast - I loved it their!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Greatbb22Dined on 7/27/2014La Esquina has great food and such a fun atmosphere. Always want to go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- too cool waitressOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/21/2014Only thing I would chnage is the employees. They are too cool and seem like they don't want to work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingArlaDined on 7/20/2014One of my new fav restaurants in NY. Best Mexican food ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/15/2014Amazing good!! Best modern tapas style Mexican I have had (and I love Mexican). Great cocktails and staff are very friendly and helpful. Mood was awesome (dim lighting) and overall I loved it!! Definitely recommend :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So cool!StoneDined on 7/9/2014Amazing Mexican restaurant, one of my favorite places in NYC. The corn is outstanding and everything else on the menu is amazing! However, it is hard to get a table so make sure you book 21 days to the day by phone or 20 days to the day via opentable. A NYC must!Special Features:
- Don't judge a book by it's cover...Designdivaof3Dined on 7/9/2014When we arrived I wasn't sure what all the hype was about..but then we were taken downstairs to a magical dining room with amazing atmosphere, fantastic food and great staff. So glad we picked this restaurant, and you will be too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's like a speakeasy!kaneandlynDined on 7/6/2014Our good friends recommended this place to us - they told us about how confused they were when they arrived because it was a diner. It was a very novel experience for visitors coming all the way from Australia! Like them, we were directed through a door down to the basement past the kitchen and into a very happening scene. It's a little squeezy but the staff were attentive and they had a wonderful margarita range (I had the jalapeno infused one then the watermelon one!). I recommend the grilled street corn (because it's simply delish!), the chicken rotisserie tacos with cilantro, the ceviche blanco and the ribs. We had about 8 small dishes for four of us and they were all yummy! Beware - the desserts are huge!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/6/2014Great speakeasy experience and ambience once inside the restaurant. For a table of four on a Sunday night, the service and cadence with which courses were served was excessively slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Its a winnerkcb1Dined on 7/6/2014Amazing my favorite mexican, the food is so good, especially the ribs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sendelbeDined on 7/6/2014Good food, margarita was okay - have had better elsewhere. Server started out as friendly but basically tossed the dessert menu on our table without a word, and didn't return until we asked for the check. Started out as decent service but felt like we were on their timetable to flip the table and have had better waitservice from chain restaurants easily.Special Features:
- Love this place!!!SomeChickDined on 7/6/2014The drinks and food at La Esquina are some of my favorites. You are not going to beat their margaritas or tacos...ever. The atmosphere is amazing and it's my go-to for special celebrations in NYC. It is a little pricey (for me) but it's New York and the food is great so well worth it. Just make sure you make a reservation well in advance like a week & a half. Seriously.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Queso Fondito everTanyaTDined on 7/1/2014My husband and I loved the food. The dining is Tapas style, and so probably perfect place for 4 people to dine. We ordered too much for the two of us; so I would recommend starting off with a couple plates and add more plates if needed. I thought the Queso Fondito was the best i had ever had. Server was very helpful. Seating is a bit tight but comfortable enoughSpecial Features:
- Really happyHenkeDined on 6/23/2014A fun and nice experience, we didn't know what to expect when we arrived. They have a somewhat unusual entrance but it only increased the good experience. The food was awesome, the best restaurant during our 10 day visit to New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- meboDined on 6/20/2014Our Server Melissa was not friendly. She rushed us to finish. We came to town from Toronto for a 30th birthday and it was not made special for us in any way. She was pushy, rude and impatient. We were forced to leave our table as soon as we finished our dessert. Instead of having a nice, relaxing celebatory meal- we had cocktails, appies, mains and dessert in one hour flat. When Melissa was taken off our table and our new server brought in, he was great! Made it as comfortable as possible- considering our time restriction. Overall- the environment and food prevailed. Service was not upto snuff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Late Night Scene, Good Foodsarg10VIPDined on 6/14/2014We went as a group of 6 having heard from a local New Yorker about the restaurant. We went late night around 11:30pm and the bar was completely packed. After grabbing a drink, our table was ready. The place is very small but every table is a great one. We each had delicious margaritas and got some of the tacos. The food was so delicious and atmosphere is a party. This is not a family place, stick to the adults-only night and go enjoy amazing food and great drinks.Special Features:
- Food great, Service mehGiacomoDined on 6/10/2014We were there on a tuesday night (11pm). Food was great but somehow the service was kinda weak. Immediately after we had eaten they just brought us the bill. Like they were in a rush.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/5/2014Went to celebrate a friend's return to the city. Though our reservation was for 9pm, we didn't sit until 10pm which irked some people in the large party that I brought along for the ride. Once we started eating, everyone stopped complaining. The food was great, the staff was attentive, truly had a blast as did my friends.Special Features:
- Excellent MealjrnycVIPDined on 6/3/2014Great food at fairly reasonable prices. Restaurant was an unexpected surprise after walking through the kitchen - nice ambiance and not too noisySpecial Features:
- Fantastiskt.AnderssonDined on 6/1/2014Fantastiskt ställe :) Hela restaurangen, maten servicen allt var jättebra :) Hög ljudnivå får man gilla om man går hit.Special Features:
- Highly recommend!OutAndAboutDined on 5/31/2014The best passion fruit frozen margarita, beautiful ambience and tasty food. Delicious bread pudding to complete the experience.Special Features:
- Great ambience, experience so soTorontoFoodieDined on 5/30/2014I'd been here once before, and loved it, so I wanted to take my friends back. The reservation process was painful. Tried calling the specified # of days before! could never get through to anyone. Booked through open table, and could only reserve for 6:00 pm which was earlier than I wanted. Got a note saying the I had to reconfirm the day of. As we were in transit on the day of, I tried calling from Canada before heading down. On hold for over 20 minutes, then got a message advising they could not take my call, and the call was terminated, could not leave a message. Spoke to concierge at hotel to reconfirm, they said not to worry. Got there, and the restaurant was empty. When we finished, still many open tables. Frustrating process.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.