Quebec, QC G1R3X4Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.cremaillere.qc.ca/
- Phone: 4186922216
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30 AM - 2:00 PM;
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00 Pm - 11:00 PM, Saturday - Sunday: 5:00 PM - 11:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, French
- Executive Chef: Jacques Le Pluart
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, BYO Liquor, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from La Cremaillère
La Crémaillère fête ses 40 ans. Depuis 1971 le restaurant la Crémaillère a toujours été au centre de la gastronomie de Québec et un repas à La Crémaillère demeure un classique incontournable lors d’un passage dans la Vieille Capitale. Aujourd’hui la cuisine est confiée à Jacques Le Pluart. Figure importante de l’histoire gastronomique de Québec son style raffiné et authentique saura vous combler. Beppino Boezio le propriétaire n’as rien perdu de sa passion. Personnage haut en couleur et très connu a Québec, il vous accueillera avec classe et simplicité. Beppino a vu passer bien des personnalités. Il importe ses vins directement des producteurs et avec son associé Michel Antoine ils ont concocté une offre de vin unique et remarquable. Les expositions de peintres et les choix musicaux font qu’un moment à la Crémaillère sera une expérience culinaire et artistique qui enchantera vos cinq sens.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
La Cremaillère - Best Restaurants in Quebec City ›
La Cremaillère reviews from OpenTable diners
27 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
romantic (19)special occasion (15)fit for foodies (12)notable wine list (11)neighborhood gem (8)good for groups (4)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Great service good foodAlimentariDined on 9/16/2014Food was good but dessert disappointed. Service was outstanding-our waiter Solomon went the extra mile. Very quiet and intimate. Unfortunately, there was a party of four in the corner who spoke very loudly and overpowered the room making it hard to enjoy conversation at our table.Special Features:
- Nice rediscoveryOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/15/2014Selected this restaurant with Open table and surprise I had been there before and did not remember until I entered the lobby. Located in an old house, this restaurant has a lot of character and nice ambiance. We were three people and we all were very happy with the choice. The food was French and the service was excellent. The server even took pictures for us. All in all very nice evening with good wine. The price was reasonable for the table d'hôte that we all choose. Quite a pleasant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverratedshowargVIPDined on 8/25/2014Mediocre food. Service was abysmal, and when pointed out to the manager that meals were mixed up and not delivered in anything like a timely manner, nothing but a half hearted apology was offered. We were seated in "Siberia," an area that was clearly understaffed (which the manager later admitted). Side dishes delivered were not those described on the menu. In short, DON'T GO!
- Nice time great serviceSteakloverDined on 8/24/2014We enjoyed a fabulous meal and attentive service. Large restaurant and delicious food, crepes suzettte prepared table side. Yummy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JohnmarthaDined on 8/23/2014We were somewhat disappointed in the overall experience for two reasons. One they had no rose wines on the wine list. What French restaurant ignores a wine that is a main wine in Provence? Second our wait staff did not seem pleased that we did not speak fluent French. Overall it has a nice atmosphere. The chateaubriand was pretty good but if you don't speak fluent French there are many other restaurants that will welcome your business.0
- Classic in Old Quebec CityKevinSDined on 8/23/2014I used TA to look for some of the top restaurants in the old city and La Cremaillere was one that was highly rated (and expensive). We got there early but were seated immediately. My wife was set on having Chateaubriand for two and it was really excellent and done perfectly. The staff was very attentive although we did have a change in waiters. But there must have been 4-5 people that provided service throughout the meal including the maître d. As was the case in Le Continental wine glasses were replenished frequently and breads filled as we finished off a particular type. Dessert was Crepes Suzette done tableside and was excellent as were the salads. It was a very enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- InevitableRobertDined on 8/21/2014Je suis montréalais; mais J'y retourne régulièrement depuis près de 20 ans pour souligner des événements particuliers. Un grand classique. Beaucoup de classe.Special Features:
- Nice!DebzdreamDined on 7/27/2014My husband and I dined here for our 30th wedding anniversary while we were vacationing in Quebec City; we both selected the prix fixe menu. I had the snails prepared in saffron cream which was tasty, although a little bland. The cream of carrot soup had been prepared with too much salt. The rack of lamb was very good and the accompanying side dishes were excellent--a wonderful augratin potato and root vegetables-- both of which were seasoned perfectly. My husband enjoyed his selections which were the smoked salmon, fish stew (which was more of a stock--it was void of fish or vegetables), a steak which he said rivaled any of our Chicago steak houses. The creme brulee was wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful EveningmcmsfVIPDined on 7/23/2014Great food, outstanding service, very professional, beautiful dining room, all w excellent value. I had to wild mushroom pasta, my friend had the rack of lamp. We enjoyed a lovely wine. Can't wait to return.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/12/2014My dinner was delivered and as she set it down, she said it wasn't my dinner and took it away, and then rebrought it. Thoght that was in poor taste and woudln't reccommend restaurant.
- Quebec City GemAgodavaDined on 7/4/2014We got way from the kids for a romantic dinner while on vacation. The staff was expert, helpful and friendly. The wine suggestions were spot on. The table side preparation of the steak tartar was masterful. Best foie gras my wife has had in years. The seafood was fresh and perfectly prepared. Yes, it's pricey, but the quality is evident. A lovely mealSpecial Features:
- a great first night in quebecMichaelVIPDined on 6/28/2014our waiter was very good (40 years at le cremaillere) the meal was delicious and we very much enjoyed the restaurant. it was one of many good stops in old quebecSpecial Features:
- MagicalPurpleHeartDined on 5/28/2014My wife and I (from Texas) celebrated our anniversary in this restaurant. The service was superb. The server was friendly and funny. Was very balanced on all service. Nothing was overdone. The food was incredible. Very tasty! All the courses were cooked to perfection. The ambiance was romantic and quiet. We were able to talk, listening to each other was effortless due to the quietness. The restaurant displays art from different Quebec artists. Very tasteful and the art enhances the experience. I recommend this restaurant to all those looking to share a special dinner with their significant other. You will be happy you went.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 78 reviews are from the La Cremaillère reviews archive.
- Elegant, unhurried diningwindsendDined on 5/9/2014Excellent food, attentive but unobtrusive service, quiet, music-free atmosphere. My meal started with the salmon tartar appetizer which was perfectly spiced and wrapped in gravlax, and the filet main course with wine reduction sauce was tender and flavorful and cooked just to my liking. My companion started with mussels in a mild cream sauce and went on the rack of lamb, also perfectly cooked, which was separated into chops by our waiter at table-side. We paired the meal with a sangiovese. Our waiter decanted the bottle into a carafe and recommended we let it air for a few minutes - an excellent plan as the wine improved with each glass. We agreed it was a wonderful dining experience in great part because it was so unrushed.Special Features:
- an evening eventAnnandDavidDined on 4/29/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner, however, it was a full evening. Something definitely happened with our dessert order; it was 30 minutes between our entries and dessert. We suspected a problem when our waiter came back after 15 minutes and asked if we wanted coffee; he had already asked that. Despite this delay I would go again; just have lots of time and moneySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedUnhappyDined on 1/30/2014We have frequented this restaurant and possibly it was an off night. We were the only table there that evening and perhaps my selection was not the best. However, our waiter could have warned us. I do not think we would go there again. Some elements of our meal were good.Special Features:
- Wonderful Dining ExperienceLillybearDined on 1/24/2014My husband and I dined here last weekend. We experienced traditional Quebec dishes in a welcoming, attractive environment. Décor is white table cloths, and creamy walls off set beautifully with a selection of large, colourful, contemporary paintings. It was a very cold night and we were lovely and warm in this restaurant. Service was courteous and friendly - even a little humourous :) . Perfect place to meet with friends or for a romantic dinner with someone special. Would highly recommend. We had a very enjoyable evening overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Years EveWinterwhiteDined on 12/31/2013My family and I had a lovely dinner at la Cremaillere on new Hears Eve. The atmosphere was festive and our waiter was excellent: friendly, but not too friendly. Just right. Dinner was very tasty and nicely served.Special Features:
- An exceptional experience.PhilVIPDined on 12/31/2013An exceptional experience. Impeccable food and service. Made for a very enjoyable, festive & extraordinary evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed Experience, but never againTellitlikeitisDined on 12/28/2013My expectations were high given the price. Service was slow--there was over an hour between entre and main course, so I wasn't hungry anymore. They ran out of the appetizer we ordered and switched our appetizer order without asking what we would prefer instead (we arrived at 7pm). The white wine options are minimal and VERY disappointing for the price--that includes the French white selection. The lamb was outstanding. The pork medallions uneventful. Poor choices for kids--the $20 'cheap' spaghetti option is better at East Side Marios. Amazing red wine selection.
- Christmas dinner treatOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 12/25/2013For two years in a row we have enjoyed the 4 course Christmas dinner at La Cremaillere. Veal medallions and the rack of lamb were particularly good.Special Features:
- Christmas DinnerDonaldDined on 12/25/2013I was alone and still got a good table, and the waiter flamed crepe Suzette at my table. The steak was perfectly done. and the wine was excellent. all in all the meal was well worth the $100,00Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/16/2013The whole experience from start to finish was amazing! The waiter was was wonderful, so helpful and funny! The food was so delicious. The steak tartar was well prepared at our table and quite tasty. It made our dinner out a very special occasion and will return if ever in Quebec City again. The only complaint was the Caesar which was far too strong to drink and I was never asked why and charged for it all the same. Otherwise it was fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Traditional French restaurantFuzzyBeaverVIPDined on 11/7/2013The staff are extremely friendly and add enjoyment to the meal. The service is extremely good and they made perfect recommendations for the wines to go with the meals. All the appetizers, main courses and deserts were very good. The daily soup and duck were outstanding. They have a fixed price menu that includes three courses. These are the same ones available a la carte. Very traditional French cooking. The pricing is very low for what you get. Wines are also modestly priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and good serviceJMACDined on 10/27/2013We visited in late October so most places we ate at were 1/2 empty. This was also true of Le Cremalierre. The service was very attentive as you might expect and the food was excellent. I had the smoked salmon app and the veal striploin, daughter had crabcake and fish stew and my wife had a salad and the duck. The salmon, veal and duck were some of the best i've ever tasted and even the crabcake was way above average. The veal is brought to the table in the roasting pot and served table-side btw. The restaurant was out of the wine i choose so they suggetsed another, which was less expensive, and quite good. Definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnernordineDined on 10/14/2013Absolutely perfect dinner - celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary - outstanding service, food and ambience - they surprised us with sparklers in our dessert in recognition of our anniversary - everyone was lovely - it was by far one of the best dinners ever!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what we expectedBostonfoodieVIPDined on 10/13/2013We were looking for the nicest restaurant we could get a last-minute reservation at. This place was just not good. The server was attentive when there was no one there but then very distracted. The food was old-school, like 1950s fancy. My duck was tough. My companion's lamb was undercooked. Food was kind of fancy basic, if that makes sense, and not well executed. Space is like an old house, dining room open to the entry, which does not work. I would not go back. Very very expensive too, I should note!
- Overall good, not perfecttatecgDined on 10/12/2013We arrived on time and were seated promptly and courteously. We elected the price-fixe menu-- appetizers, soups, and entrees were tasty, well prepared, served at a comfortable pace. After dinner, it felt like we were ignored for the next thirty minutes or so. This was fine, as we had wine and lots to talk about, but it did seem out of place with the rest of our visit. We were never asked what we wanted for dessert, when a delicious lemon creme brûlée was unceremoniously tossed in front of us, without a word. We ate it, because we were ready for dessert and it was good, but it did seem very odd that we were never asked what we wanted. It was a strange and mildly unpleasant end to an otherwise enjoyable meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingchriscalabogieDined on 10/5/2013Fantastic food, service and ambience. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- DisappointingJaredDined on 9/28/2013I had dined at this restaurant back in April of this year and it was amazing. It's on the pricey side. 4 people with one bottle of wine $450 but you don't mind the price if everything is great. This time the experience was quite the opposite. We continually had to ask for the waiter. Sat down and waited 30mins for the waiter to show just to get water. It didn't improve from there. We definitely got the impression it was short staffed. When the food finally arrived the plates had been under the heat lamp for some time as they burned to the touch. We only had one bottle of wine but would have had more if only we had a waiter to serve us. Incredibly disappointing. Won't be going back.Special Features:
- A Tale of Two MealsDossVIPDined on 9/27/2013It was the best of meals it was the worst of meals. My wife had a good meal . Her Foie Gras was a good starter. Her Filet of Beef was good, flavorful and cooked to order. Her Crème Brulée was good. My Crab Cake was more of a Croquette than a Crab Cake. The duck was tough The brought it out with a serrated knife and trust me even with the serrated knife it was hard to cut the thinly sliced breast. Except for the sauce it was tasteless. I got much better duck on a cruise ship 3 days later. The Iced Nougat was good. I would never return. I should have sent the duck back but I listened to my wife who said “Just never return”. For the price I expected excellent food, I good bad duck and a mediocre crab cake. The service was excellent.
- They have the "joie de vivre"JBoudrotDined on 9/20/2013Food was amazing and dining experience with staff was so personal and warm we felt like friend by the end of the night. We had 4 adults and a 4yr old and a 3yr old and I was worried about how the kids would behave. The staff was so friendly and engaging with the girls I was happy I had decided to take them. The atmosphere was upscale, fine dining with a very relaxed "joie de vivre" personality. The crepes Suzette made table side is mouth watering. A must try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant in upperRickVIPDined on 9/19/2013Great restaurant in upper Quebec City, simple, quaint, fine dining. Great food, nice wine list to complement menu, good service. All the ingredients for a nice enjoyable dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine French!CraigVIPDined on 9/3/2013This is why I came to Quebec. Yes, the view from the Hilton is amazing. Yes the old city is charming. But the food! The moment you walk in you know you are in a special place with cozy quarters, formal service, real art work, and aromas which prepare you for the treat I'm store for you. I will let my pictures speak for themselves. The food and experience are as good as my iPhone could capture. The favors and the saucing are as only French cuisine provides.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A French Restaurant in Quebec CityChocolatelarryDined on 8/27/2013La Cremaillere lies in the heart of the Old City of Quebec and was a very good culinary experience although quite expensive. We had a salad appetizer that was excellent and entrees of veal and steak that were tasty and elegantly served. The venue was, clean, pleasant and gave you the impression you were in someone's dining room. The service was a bit slow at times but the wait staff responded quickly when signaled. The wine list was very expensive, couldn't find a decent wine below $ 70. Overall a very good meal in a nice French Restaurant in Quebec City but would reserve this place for special occasion's only due to expense.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service! Fine Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/9/2013SO impressed with high level of service offered - this is the type of place to go for a quiet atmosphere, classy surroundings and subtle but wonderful attention to details....at least 4 staff attended to us the entire evening without overwhelming us which is an art in itself! The food was very good and beautifully presented, generous portions and super hot plates! Another gem in charming Old Québec City!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- La Cremaillere is a must visit...inthebizVIPDined on 8/7/2013Whether you are visiting, or if you live in Quebec City, make sure you have La Cremaillere on your list of restaurants to dine in. An absolutely outstanding meal from top to bottom! The restaurant is charming, the service is professional, and the food is amazing. The next time we are visiting Quebec City, we will definitely return to La Cremaillere!Special Features:
- Service makes the differenceEngagedVIPDined on 8/4/2013This is a very nice restaurant in a pretty spot. It is quiet and the food was good, though not memorable. What really sets this place apart is the service starting with one of the owners who was made it a point to talk about the food, the specials, and engage in a welcoming way. He did a wonderful job helping pick out the wine. The rest of the staff followed his lead. We would recommend it for a special occasion where you want this kind of high level attention.Special Features:
- Superb, memorable mealOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/31/2013Fantastic meal. Our party of four had one of the most enjoyable meals we're ever had. Not only was the food superb, but the service was beyond spectacular. At the end of the evening, the chef, maitre d' and most of the staff sang three songs. They transformed a memorable meal into an unforgettable one. Our dinner was the highlight of a terrific trip. One of the best dining experiences of my life.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- such a wonderful experience.gaglVIPDined on 7/30/2013such a wonderful experience. too bad we live far from quebec in new jersey. we even got a tour of the beautiful art work by the ownerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.