8150 Cabrillo Highway
Montara, CA 94037Neighborhood:
Half Moon Bay
PeruvianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.lacostanerarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6507281600
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: Open at 5:00pm
Bar and Lounge Happy Hour (no reservations) Tuesday-Friday 5-7pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Peruvian, Latin / Spanish
- Executive Chef: Carlos Altamirano
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact Eric Canupp for more details.
- Entertainment: New Events Coming Soon.... Please Check Back
- Special Events: Please contact Eric Canupp for more details.
A word from La Costanera
Experience the culinary richness of Peru at La Costanera, a modern Peruvian fusion restaurant opened its doors October 2, 2009. The scenic California coast in Montara, overlooks the Pacific, just a short, beautiful drive from San Francisco (21 miles). The space is grand, with floor to ceiling windows, three stories, and 10,000 square feet of oceanfront space, beach views and sea breeze every dinner is garanteed an ocean view.Continued
We also offer a full bar, domestic and imported Peruvian beers and a hand selected wine list. Come try our Pisco Sour – a classic Peruvian cocktail – and experience all that La Costanera has to offer...
We also offer a full bar, domestic and imported Peruvian beers and a hand selected wine list. Come try our Pisco Sour – a classic Peruvian cocktail – and experience all that La Costanera has to offer...
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerPeruvian
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
La Costanera - Best Restaurants in Half Moon Bay ›
La Costanera reviews from OpenTable diners
215 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (201)special occasion (148)fit for foodies (132)romantic (124)great for outdoor dining (120)good for groups (71)hot spot (46)vibrant bar scene (42)neighborhood gem (42)notable wine list (31)great for brunch (21)great for lunch (19)kid-friendly (17)late-night find (9)Show More
- wonderful dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/29/2014This restaurant is a wonderful dining experience. Excellent service, delicious food, and wonderful views.Special Features:
- Like a VacationGourmetGalVIPDined on 8/29/2014Montara seems like another world and further removed from the rest of the Bay Area than it really is. Costanera helps you feel that you are on a mini vacation. The beach setting is stunning and the food is unusual and delicious. Best to order small plates to sample a variety. Everything is good except our calamari was very tough and chewy. Beware of waiters trying to up sell at every opportunity but otherwise service is excellent. We also noticed that drinks and wine pours were much bigger in the bar than in the restaurant. There was music the night we were there. The outdoor seating is really great with fire pits and plenty of heaters along with a fantastic view and the sound of the ocean.Special Features:
- creative menu, variable executionRADmanDined on 8/29/2014The location is great, overlooking the ocean in Montara. Service is attentive and helpful. The menu is creative; many items you don't see in other places, which makes selection difficult: which of the things you've never had should you choose? Some things you try because you never have and find they aren't to your liking (yucca) because the base ingredient is odd flavor or texture. That's just experimentation. Other times, it's the execution: quinoa coated shrimp in sauce atop some vegetable puree. Just not well done. Other items, the ubiquitous calamari, are as expected, and the ribs are good. Overall variable. We will likely return and try other items on the menu. A solid B experience.Special Features:
- Our food and service were great!SarabooDined on 8/29/2014My husband and I had a shrimp appetizer that came with a spicy aioli, excellent. For mains we had the Adobo pork and the tuna. Both were so tasty that we ate really slowly to enjoy them longer. I also had a Passionfruit Pisco sour, super yummy. The wines recommended by Ivonne were all lovely. To top it off we shared the Dulce de Leche stuffed Churros, which were served with a cup of hot chocolate. Good thing they were on the small side! So rich and delicious!Special Features:
- Big menu with a lot of choicesOpentableDinerVIPDined on 8/24/2014We tried to sample a dish from each section on the menu but got too full and have to skip the big plates. We like the beef empanada the best.Special Features:
- MagicaltriziaDined on 8/23/2014Loved the creatively curated food served with love and sophistication. Devoured this meticulously delicious food along with the breathtaking view. A perfect place to feel inspired.Special Features:
- Favorite Romantic Dinner SpotCoastsideDutchDined on 8/22/2014My wife and I live near by. We love the ambiance, unique food options, energy and service. The views of Montara State Beach are incredible. La Costanera is a must! Go tonight! Go this weekend! Make that reservation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- beautiful view and different foodLisaSDined on 8/21/2014The small plates are a lot of fun, different and very tasty. Right over the beach in Montara. There is a lovely patio but we chose to sit inside. We watched the surfers while we enjoyed the food.Special Features:
- ShirleyDined on 8/17/2014A fine addition to the Bay Area dining scene. Interesting food not readily available elsewhere. Attentive service.Special Features:
- Another great eveningBeachwalkerDined on 8/15/2014Brought a friend from Germany to enjoy the amazing food and views of la Costanera. The Pisco sours are our favorite drink and the food is always outstanding. Service was attentive and not at all rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional find!malakesfDined on 8/15/2014I definitely will be going back - I love this place! We took our daughter for a special night out before she left for school - excellent dinner - excellent drinks - beautiful location - not overly fancy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not great2much2eatDined on 8/12/2014I want to love it. The view is outstanding. The building is beautiful. Then you have the food. You want it to be great; to go along with the feeling you get of being on the coast of Lima when you look into the ocean view. The anticuchos corazon ... it was covered in basic bbq sauce, the macaroni and cheese was soupy, and the bruschetta with short ribs was full of bones and I almost cracked my tooth. All of the small plates we ordered (about fifteen) fell short/ It just didn't meet the expectations you have of a michelin star restaurant.Special Features:
- Wonderful!ClergyfleaDined on 8/10/2014We went for the beach setting but will return for the food and service. Restaurant is really neat (ambiance and decorations) and is terrific to take out-of-town guests. Food surprisingly terrific but a little pricey. Will return for sure!Special Features:
- all around amazing place!flash442Dined on 8/8/2014We got there at 8pm just as the sun was setting and they gave use a table near the window to view the sun setting. Alex was very helpful and great with recommendations. The food was great we both had paella, one seafood and one verde. The seafood was cooked to perfection. The sangria was great, we ordered a pitcher and it was perfect for both of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Peruvian cuisine in bay areaOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/8/2014On our way home from work, we stopped over for dinner. Loved every item we ordered (though, the flan we ordered didn't scale heights compared to the rest of the dishes). Loved the service (Ricardo). Had a great table on the entry level looking at the sunset. Wish this place was closer to the city (Ocean Beach?).Special Features:
- Wonderful Peruvian RestaurantLarryDined on 8/8/2014La Costenara is a great find. Yes, it is out of the way, but the setting next to the ocean, the wonderful Peruvian food, and the very good service makes this a very special place to visit. We dined here for our anniversary, and we were not disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dine by the fire pitEddieDined on 8/7/2014We had a formal reservation, but noticed (due to the colder weather) that the outside fire pit(s) were unoccupied. With the flames, the environment was warm with no jacket required. It was a wonderful way to have dinner and watch the sunset. Great food, fun staff. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Occasion SpotrealfoodpeopleDined on 8/7/2014I took my wife for our 10 year, we had been once before. We we're seated promptly at the best table. I had asked for a nice table in my reservation because of our anniversary and hoped for the best. Once seated, two glasses of complimentary champagne came out with congrats on our special occasion. The Ahi tuna Ceviche' was the best thing we had that night. The grilled skewer of fillet's were a bit small for the price, but had good flavor. I wasn't happy with the Calamari Chile Relleno, it was a bit on the chewy side. Otherwise, fantastic view, great service and very good food. Two glasses of wine, six small plate dishes, $125 with the tip. Not horrible, but a little to expensive for a weekly place for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit disappointedLaurelDined on 8/2/2014The restaurant is beautiful - the location stunning - - I saw it on "Check Please Bay Area" so my expectations were high with all the photos of the food and beautiful presentations..... Some of the small plates were nothing like presented on the show - and I felt they were overpriced. The restaurant is very noisy - touristy. I would suggest going down stairs to the "lounge" area - with the great outdoors and fire pits. I will definitely return and go to the lounge.Special Features:
- Fabulous!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/1/2014Great mixing of flavors. Every dish was fantastically composed.Special Features:
- Went here for my birthdayMarHeWannaEatDined on 7/30/2014I had to come here, because I wanted to see what changes had occurred since it was the Chart House... On the reservations, I mentioned that it was my birthday, and at the end of dinner I received a printed card from the staff, wishing me a happy birthday! VERY sweet... Now the food...many of us enjoyed the flavors, but noticed an overall lack of seasoning (read "SALT"), and the portions were more modest than we had expected for the price point. Clearly, this is quite the date spot, as well as special occasion destination, but this wasn't the place for Chifa Peruano, despite the presence of some Chinese ingredients...Special Features:
- Spot OnPeterMDined on 7/30/2014Been here 3 times now, every time it's spot on. Beautiful view, great food, very accommodating. Even got parking this time in lot because of early start.Special Features:
- Perfect no more...MercouriFanVIPDined on 7/29/2014I've written several glowing reviews about La Costanera. This was my 7th visit in 10 months, and the previous 6 were all outstanding. Not this one. When I made the reservation, I told the restaurant it was my wedding anniversary and I wanted one of the front tables with the great view. When we arrived, they told me those tables were on a first-come basis, but they told us (twice) that they could give us one in 10-15 minutes. They sent us to the bar with a couple of free drinks. About 20 minutes later, another person came to tell us no front-row table would be available for at least an hour. We begrudgingly accepted a regular table, but fortunately it was in Yvonne's section. Yvonne saved the evening with her fantastic service.Special Features:
- beautiful viewredheadDined on 7/29/2014The view was beautiful, service good but not attentive. We arrived 6 pm before big crowd but sat outside to avoid the noise level already present; it was some distance to check on us. I liked the small plates items; great idea to share lots of tasty goodies. Don't order Tuna Tartar; sweet and can't taste the tuna. Three plates served so promptly after we ordered they had to already be prepared; food was cold by the time we finished those three. Ordered two more but one was bland and the other dry with nothing interesting about the seasoning. Will go again on another gorgeous day to sample other items on menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- La Costanera July 27 2014jeannekDined on 7/27/2014So EXCITED to dine at La Costanera-so we booked a reservation (good idea) to celebrate my daughter in laws 30th!. We love the coast, love great food and stellar service. La Costanera does not disappoint. Beautiful Pacific view -fresh fish, spicy/ sweet dishes, homemade desserts all phenomenal. Order Tapas style or larger plates or a combination. There wasn't 1 dish we ALL did not share & love! Our tab ran about $50 per person -well worth every delicious morsel.(we don't drink) We dined at 6;30pm on Sun. Imagine volume and patronage are higher on Fi-Sat There's a full bar with a club ambience downstairs w/ fire places -Super romantic location with the stairs to the beach outside the door. We are already talking about our NEXT TIME-Special Features:
- great tasting foodNatereviews2Dined on 7/27/2014This is a great restaurant with a great ocean view and food. Waiters and hostesses are welcoming. I have eaten here many times its has never dissapointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best ceviche in the bayAmazingfoodDined on 7/26/2014We picked this location for our anniversary dinner. All was great from the beginning to the end! Just be prepared as the weather is unpredictable, we left a super hot Dublin at 95 and drove into half moon bay to a 55 cold weather, just be prepared when going there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedMaggieDined on 7/26/2014We were here before, and was really good, but this time.... The noise from the party downstairs was too loud. They called and let me know there was going to be a party going on, but it was still way too loud. The food was ALL spicy. We had to beg for water because after half hour our drinks were still not ready, and the apetizers were already served and as I said, spicy. The waiter was really bad. We wasn't helping at all, even whan I was asking very simple questions. I was a fan of this place after my first time, but I'm not going back again after this experience.Special Features:
- AmazingJosiDined on 7/26/2014We were stuck in traffic and they kept our reservation for 30 minutes. We celebrated 3 out of 4 birthdays and were given mini treats, too. The food was delicious.Special Features:
- Amazing Food!!!CaliChris1VIPDined on 7/25/2014You will not regret coming to this amazing place. Usually places on the water with views can disappoint, but this place can hold its own with some of the best restaurants anywhere. You want the highest quality of food with creativity and something a little special, this is your place. Oh and the view is to die for but I promise you that will be secondary. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Every travelor should experienceOklahomaDined on 7/24/2014I have been traveling to the Moss Beach, CA area for over two years. I have driven by La Costanera on my way to and from Seal Cove Inn and SF State. It is the "happening" place. I have learned the SF way is to support local versus chain restaurants. However, I am not a foodie. I am very particular about the food I eat. A close friend and I have dinner once a week when we are both in town. The rule is - something local, something new. Our last dinner together before she heads out to Hawaii, and I head back home was at La Costanera. I went in with the attitude, "I am going to take one for the team". I did not expect to love the food. The wait staff was friendly and extremely knowledgeable about every detail of the food! Amazing..Special Features:
- Stunning setting, high-end chowSnarkzillaDined on 7/22/2014Went here for a birthday dinner date. Absolutely breathtaking views over Montara beach with the sun setting and surfers bobbing in the waves. The food was meticulously prepared, each dish showcasing some cool aspect of Peruvian cuisine. We had the ceviche sampler, skewers of grilled beef heart (super tender and perfectly seasoned), pork adobo and swordfish with aji amarillo sauce. The servers were friendly and helpful without being cloying; our waiter brought us a side dish of rocoto paste so we could taste it by itself as well as how it was used on the beef heart and the adobo. Pisco sours very fresh and tasty; the passionfruit one blew my mind. One caveat - the setting sun gets very, very hot if you are by the huge picture windows.Special Features:
- goodtastegoodtasteDined on 7/20/2014The food were very good. Very nice ocean view, especially in the sunset. Parking lots were not big enough for all the guests. I had to parked across the street and ran across the Highway to get to the restaurant, kind of dangerous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it here!MtViewCaliCatDined on 7/19/2014I was first introduced to La Costanera while attending a friend's birthday party there. It was so much fun! I knew I had to take my husband there, but it is out of the way so it took a while for me to get him over there. (We live in Mountain View) It was 'date night' and he was absolutely delighted by the "hidden gem" I had found in La Costanera. The food is fantastic. The view is gorgeous. The service is spot on. Who could ask for more?Special Features:
- What a great restaurantrun2eatDined on 7/19/2014Wow what fantastic restaurant. My two sons and I took my wife for dinner this past Saturday. Boy were we surprised. Every single dish was outstanding and better than the previous one. We ordered 6 small plates each one different and unique. Presentation was spot on, sauces were flavorful, colorful and spiced to perfection. In fact we had to reorder beard 4 times to insure that every plate left our table sauce free. Entrees were delicious. Cocktails innovative and tasty. Churros for desert simply demonic. We are already planning our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing views and foodkitana76Dined on 7/19/2014Wife and I love this spot. Last visit our server was great.. very helpful and friendly. I can't say enough about the food.... so good!Special Features:
- Fantastic dining experience!tapbirdsDined on 7/18/2014La Costanera had it all! Great food, excellent service, and fantastic ocean views. We started with the spicy caesar salad, which had a unique sauce (delicious!) and some of the tastiest and lightest croutons I've ever tasted. The Calamari Relleño filling was good, but the calamari was a bit tough. The Camarones al Curry small dish was my favorite, along with the Costillitas spare ribs. The large plates were excellent, though we were a little disappointed that Lomo Saltadoused traditional fries instead of something more uniquely Peruvian, however the meat was very tender and flavorful. The drinks (Pisco Sour) were good, and the wine selection was also fun. Our wait person was very helpful, and willing to accommodate. And the view!!Special Features:
- I came expecting a great experiencemoschefDined on 7/15/2014I know the Michelin star was taken away but Omg I didn't think it would've been this bad. Everything starting from the hostess when we first arrived to our waitress and finally the food. Overall it was a bit disappointing and that's an understatement.Special Features:
- Fantastic!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/15/2014This is out favorite "local" spot and I almost hesitate to advertise it because it's so popular as it is. The food is always delicious and beautifully presented. The drink selection (with and without alcohol) is outstanding. Don't get me started on the view :) We go regularly and have yet to be remotely disappointed. It's a bit pricey but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I wasn't disappointed.PickyEaterDined on 7/13/2014Excellent food. Delicious churros. The pisco sours alone are worth the drive. The view at sunset makes it the closest one comes to a religious experience in this part of the world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.