LA Costa Mission Restaurant
21337 Pacific Coast Hwy
Malibu, CA 90265Neighborhood:
Mexican / SouthwesternPrice: $30 and under
LA Costa Mission Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lacostamission.com/
- Phone: 3103170110
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Daily: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
Saturday & Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican / Southwestern, Mexican, Latin / Spanish
- Executive Chef: Geno Bahena
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, BYO Liquor, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Dancing, Delivery, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: At La Costa Mission, we have a single goal: Each guest's experience must be memorable, unique—whether it's a regular customer in for a quick bite, a couple commemorating an anniversary or a family celebrating Grandmother's birthday. We can translate that unique experience into an off-site gathering through our Catering with Executive Chef Geno Bahena. We can create the La Costa Mission experience in settings away from the restaurant—from homes and galleries to cultural institutions, you name it. Though we specialize in working our magic at smaller celebratory events, we've orchestrated all.
- Private Party Facilities: It all starts with you! What is your vision? How many guests, when and where? There is no set structure when it comes to La Costa Mission Events from a backyard barbecue to a five (or more!) course chef's tasting menu with expert wine pairings we can do it all. We build from a thorough understanding of your desires and dreams, weave in the uncompromising quality of our food and service, then bring it all to life in an imaginative setting.
- Private Party Contact: G M. Gustavo Oroxon 3103170110
- Entertainment: All Starts with you!! You can bring a Mariachi band, a trio or we have our own system for your enjoyment.
- Cross Street: Las Flores Canon
- Public Transit: We are located just a few steps from the bus stop 534 on PCH, in between the Malibu Healing Center and the Old Court House on the Hill side.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Free Parking lot for La Costa Mission Customers, we have two lots adjacent to the restaurant for you to park your own car, when lots are full valet parking is available.
A word from LA Costa Mission Restaurant
Our Exeutive Chef Geno Bahena Just receive an award BEST CHEF OF AMERICA. The newest La Costa Mission Restaurant, specializes in authentic regional cuisine served in an elegant, upscale setting. Our Patio at La Costa Mission serves authentic Mexican Food in a fun, casual & relaxed atmosphere. La Costa Mission takes advance reservations for all parties.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
LA Costa Mission Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
- Great placeDonCVIPDined on 4/5/2014Hate to tell the truth about this place, tables will get scarce, but it truly is great. Food was amazing, great service, great margaritas and at the end of the night the owner was out front chatting with us and the other guests. Give it a try, you won't be sorry.Special Features:
- Malibu GemOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/1/2014Great food and ambiance with unique and memorable dishes with a personal touch.Special Features:
- outstanding mole sauces, vibrantCavaliermomVIPDined on 3/22/2014outstanding mole sauces, vibrant Margaritas ~ we had the lemon mint and blood orange, awesome appetizers, fabulous guacamole & chipsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gourmet Mexican Dining in MalibuGiftgalDined on 3/15/2014We love La Costa Mission. It is in a historic building with lovely old California tile. There is a fountain outside and a fireplace inside. We brought are friends from out of town & everyone enjoyed their meal. My husband had duck which was very lean & delicious. The portion was not huge but he loved it. I had Salmon which was cooked perfectly. Our friend had chicken enchiladas which was yummy and a large portion. All in all the meal was terrific! We had great service. They aim to please & will make whatever changes you ask them too for dietary needs. We will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic servicesamdDined on 3/8/201410 of us went there on the suggestion of a friend for my husbands birthday. They sat us in the 'outdoor' area which isn't really outdoors but it was great for our purpose. The service was fantastic - very attentive which is great for group since everyone is talking and not really paying attention to ordering etc The food was great especially the lemon mint margarita! I was hesitate on the noise rating since we were the loudest group there so I rated it as if we were not there.Special Features:
- Outstanding MexicanOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/23/2014Really enjoyed our dinner - all if us felt it was the best Mexican we'd ever eaten. Well prepared, wonderful tastes, great menu. And the margaritas are fabulous. A little pricey with most entrees between 25 and 30 but we didn't feel cheated. All in all it was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food excellent.MandanaDined on 12/29/2013We are visiting Malibu and had friends visiting in Santa Monica, so I looked up restaurants half way and found LA Costa. It had excellent reviews on Trip Advisor, so we decided to book there. On arrival there was no one to greet us, so we found our friends ourselves at the bar. We took a seat so we could get a drink, but there wasn't anyone at the bar to serve us. Waited about 5-6 minutes then decided to look for someone to take us to our table. Service improved after that, thankfully. The food was excellent and would highly recommend it. Home made chips - delicious - and the crab enchiladas were divine. Would go again for the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty averageBevisDined on 11/29/2013The food was mass market fare and pretty average. Not bad but not good. Reminded me a little of school canteen food.
- This is real Mexican food.MandBVIPDined on 11/6/2013This is real Mexican food. Everything we ate was fabulous -- on par with Rick Bayless's Topolobampo in Chicago. The best Queso Fundedo we've ever eaten. The stuffed jalapenos were amazing. My wife had the lamb chops in an outstanding mole and I had the chile relleno stuffed with seafood - also wonderful! This is an extremely accomplished chef capable of raising Mexican food to new levels. Drinks were also excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great choiceTW41VIPDined on 10/12/2013I can see why the La Costa Mission is so well thought of, as the food is excellent, and the service impeccable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely Fantastic!CarlDined on 10/5/2013From the time we walked into the door until we left we were pampered and made to feel like royal guests. The wait staff, managers and owner(s) made us to feel like we were special. There was teamwork and no detail to make our experience exceptional was left to chance. Thanks for an evening that will keep me coming back and referring you to all my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mexican Gemteddy11Dined on 9/18/2013The food was truly outstanding. Everything was fresh and unique. The service was excellent.Special Features:
- Lovely find!Happy1Dined on 9/14/2013We had family visiting and staying in LA. We live in Thousand Oaks so this awesome restaurant was somewhat half way for both of us! What a delicious find! I can't wait to go back. The halibut special was amazing. The other diners had beef, chicken or cheese enchiladas, which they all loved. And dessert? Yummy! I can't wait to go back. Sorry I didn't mention the chips and salsa......fresh fresh fresh!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique MexicanMalibuLocalDined on 8/25/2013Understand this unique restaurant in advance to enjoy it. If you think you are booking a "Mexican restaurant" you may be disappointed. This is high end cooking by a very dedicated chef where the food happens to be authentic Mexican. It is not much like the neighborhood places for burritos or fajitas. You will definitely find dishes you have never seen before and much attention to detail, down to the tortillas made on the premises.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Class MexicanOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/23/2013Definitely not your average Mexican Restaurant. Very creative, excellent cooking and warm and professional service. Very attractive dining room and small outside patio. Lively Happy Hour. Worth a drive to Malibu. Don't miss.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BonitaOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/9/2013This little restaurant is a beauty, little pricey but the overall experience is really lovely. Food is excellent, margaritas are good, you won't be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent MealOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/19/2013Great food, margaritas and excellent friendly staff!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a treat to be at thisOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/12/2013Always a treat to be at this fine restaurant. Our friends always thank us for suggesting it. Consistently excellent food and presentaion. We look forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A secret gem in MalibuCavaliermomVIPDined on 7/4/2013Notable MARGARITA list - we loved the Strawberry Basil Margi ~ LAMB Mole heavenly, chile rellenos had a big kick, handmade delicate corn tortillas, even the rice & beans were gourmet first class.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great upscale Mexican on PCHRussVIPDined on 6/30/2013While PCH can be a little noisy, this is a small, charming with great food and service. Check it out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So sad Malibu is stuck with these..CircusdogVIPDined on 6/27/2013I took my daughter, age 14 and her friend, to dinner to this place last week. The waitress did not bring one of the starter dishes I had ordered. No biggie, as the waitress was so sweet and was trying so hard. They 'forgot' to bring the starter, according to the waitress. But wait... it gets better. I asked my girls if they wanted virgin margaritas to which they replied 'yes'. Then the girls asked if they could split one of the entrees. Then the bill came. I am a single mother, living on a very limited budget. I was billed FULL PRICE for the virgin margaritas at $12 each, with a split plate fee to boot. HELLOOO? I hope you will understand that WE are NEVER, EVER, getting back together.
- Check out the chocolate tamaleDinerLuvVIPDined on 6/22/2013Check out the chocolate tamale for dessert! Decadent and so delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/22/2013My husband is not a Mexican food fan but I made him walk to this neighborhood restaurant. He was pleasantly surprised when he read the menu. This is fine Mexican food. We started with the ceviche and guacamole, both delicious. Best margarita I've had in a long time. I had a shrimp dish which was generous and perfectly cooked. My husband had the mole trio, duck, shrimp and chicken. He found the chicken bland but that was only because the other two moles were outstanding. We finished with the decadant chocolate tamale. The diners at the table next to us commented on the amazing smell wafting to their table. The service was very attentive and friendly. Many restaurants have tried to make a go of it at this location, I hope these guys succeed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Experience!dessertloverDined on 6/18/2013My dad and I were visiting Malibu and were so glad to discover this place! The restaurant was beautiful, the staff attentive and welcoming, and our enchiladas delicious. I'd recommend getting the chocolate tamale for dessert! The brownie-like filling paired with vanilla ice cream was divine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice atmosphereTalosbadDined on 6/15/2013The food had good flavors and on par with my expectations. My only complaint was that the Sea Bass was overcooked, unless it actually was halibut. The staff was very attentive and I like the decor and indoor/outdoor feeling. It's very easy to miss if you are driving quickly because it looks like a little house covered in plants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great addition to neighborhood!cathychouVIPDined on 6/10/2013Lovely old building, good Mexican cuisine, great staff. What a lovely spot. I hope this restaurant makes it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great mexican in Malibu!malibudiningDined on 5/25/2013Authentic high-end mexican food in an intimate setting with outstanding service and phenomenal specialty margaritas. The chips are fresh and bursting with flavor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and even better servicevalvDined on 5/24/2013For appetizer we had the shrimp ceviche and corn tamales. The ceviche had a twist to it with some green olives. very different but good. I enjoyed the sweet corn tamales even more so. I had the duck in a mole sauce with pineapple and plantains, very tasty but was a lil cold but still good. The margaritas were awesome and the Michelada was good and spicy. We had the churros for dessert and I was slightly disappointed since they were way too crunchy and hard. It was a friend's birthday and they forgot and both the waiter and Manager apologized and gave us a round of drinks. That's awesome customer service. Overall was a great experience and I will go back!Special Features:
- Great taste and colorful!JatachinDined on 5/19/2013I was surprise for the presentation and creativity, Nice place and excellent food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Mexico in MalibuTunaCanyonDined on 5/5/2013From the intricately designed floor and hand painted wall tiles, to the impeccably dressed and coiffed service team, La Costa Mission spares no detail in providing the most authentic and refined New Mexican dining experience available outside the original "Sunshine State". In an industry that has in many cases sacrificed one for the other, refined design or quality service, La Costa Mission offers a dining experience few others are capable of today. Service in this case graciously compliments the well manicured design, and by the time the food arrives, it is as though the main attraction overwhelms the remaining senses! Ordering the simplest dish on the menu, Tacos al carbon, demonstrates once again superior quality in every aspect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice surprise!gailDined on 5/4/2013Found this restaurant on Yelp. Looking for a nice Mexican place in Malibu and this was it! Parking is great, large lot, park yourself.None of that valet parking that charge you to park 5 feet away. Food was not your typical Mexican, much more authentic. Everything was delicious. We sat at a large table towards the back next to the flaming fireplace. All in all a great experience. Just one suggestion, cook the over easy eggs a little less. Other than that, great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Cuisine, warm &OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/29/2013Authentic Cuisine, warm & welcoming service, easy to make changes per my no dairy and no gluten regime...a must-do place to go.Special Features:
- Our server, May, was verywesthillsdinerVIPDined on 4/27/2013Our server, May, was very friendly, attentive and helpful. The food was very good and the atmosphere was really nice. We will be back.Special Features:
- This was our second visitOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/20/2013This was our second visit to La Costa Mission and it did not disappoint. We took my mother there for her birthday and it was fantastic. The sauces in all of our meals had such great depth that simple chicken and meatballs became phenomenal. My mom, the birthday girl, upgraded her carne asade to the porter house special of the evening and it was the main event; we all ended up eating some of it! We will definately be going back for more!Special Features:
- Top dollar for far less thanJEGJRDined on 3/22/2013Top dollar for far less than top rated food, skip it.
- Good Mexican FoodGoodFortuneDined on 3/3/2013Good food, comfortable restaurant with fireplace going and friendly waitstaff. Shrimp were fresh and delicious. Green corn tamales were dry. Salad w/ chicken was enjoyed. Would return--especially for the margaritas...Special Features:
- Stop the Upsell!!bayheadVIPDined on 2/22/2013Food and service is always very good. I don't mind the upsell but they are consistently too aggressive with it. Pounded us for Patron in the Margarita's. Who knew it would be $16. Also, aggressive with botttled water. We ordered tap but they poured bottled and charged us for it
- So thrilled to have this restaurantmoodymomVIPDined on 2/16/2013So thrilled to have this restaurant in our neighborhood! It has everything, great food, a cute bar, beautiful decor with a fireplace. We LOVE it!Special Features:
- Excellent!sas75VIPDined on 2/16/2013We love this place! The food is amazing. Very gourmet and modern twist on classic Mexican. The Margaritas are fantastic. All their Mole sauces are very delicious. My only complaint is that they are quite stingey when it comes to guacamole (1/2 the bowl is lettuce on the bottom and 1 order barley enough for 2 people) - and the tortillas that come with the carne asada - they only give 2 tortillas and you have to keep asking for more. Also - when we asked for more chips with the guacamole they charged us for the chips. When it comes to mexican food - rice, beans, chips and tortillas are as inexpensive as it gets. So its a bit hard to digest being charged so much for such items. Aside form that - this place is the bomb!Special Features:
- OUTSTANDING IN EVERY WAY!OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 2/16/2013La Costa Mission is my favorite new find! We had the most incredible dining experience, not just because the food was so good (outstanding regional Mexican cuisine and delicious unique margaritas), but the staff couldn't have been nicer. We were so well attended to by our server, and the manager came to say hello, and then the owner came by to say hello! We loved everything about La Costa Mission and will definitely be going back soon!!!Special Features: