732 E Market St
Louisville, KY 40202Neighborhood:
East Market St - NuLu
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.coopbistro.com/
- Phone: (502) 410-2888
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Contemporary French
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine
A word from La Coop
La Coop offers French comfort food with a modern twist. Located inside the award-winning Green Building in Louisville's NuLu district, guests will be greeted with classic bistro fair paired with well chosen French wine list, European inspired cocktails and a nice selection of French/Belgian ales.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
La Coop reviews from OpenTable diners
63 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (44)neighborhood gem (29)romantic (28)special occasion (28)notable wine list (20)hot spot (15)great for outdoor dining (10)vibrant bar scene (4)late-night find (4)good for groups (2)scenic view (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Bravo!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014Best overall dinner exsperience we have had in a long time. We took a close friend and her mother out for her birthday. The food was absolutely fantastic and because service was impeccable, I think it tasted even better! Eric gave us, hands down the best service in town! Coming from a 15 veteran of the service industry, I know great service from good service. See you soon LaCoop.I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best meals we have ever had!MichelleDined on 11/14/2014The beet salad will not disappoint! The cocktail selection is unique and delicious! Service was perfect. We weren't bothered too much but well taken care of. It is a small venue so you should make reservations. Although there are a lot of tables in a tight area, the noise level was acceptable. The price point is high so I consider this a special evening or celebration restaurant. The Steak Frites are incredible! A must order! The short ribs dissolve in your mouth. Great flavor and super tender. We all enjoyed every thing we order. Not a complaint or neutral viewpoint. EXCELLENT.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Louisville FindJoshieDined on 11/13/2014La Coopo Was everything it was purported to be. Cozy, warm and friendly. The service was first rate, the food remarkably good and varied, and the wine list was delightfully varied and complete, with moderate prices. All in all, A place for a romantic evening, a great family meal or simply wonderful for appetizers and a glass of wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KYsailorDined on 11/8/2014As usual another memorable meal at Le Coup, very lively on a Saturday evening, great service wonderful food.....Special Features:
- TremendousDBMwinoDined on 11/5/2014I'm terrible about never taking the time to write reviews, but the experience/service we received most definitely deserves one. Don't overthink the menu, go with the steak frites and take comfort that no one in Paris is eating a better rendition. Tiger shrimp app was also killer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealMmmmmmmmDined on 10/28/2014Fantastic food, very enjoyable evening. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Amazing food!Diner1outDined on 10/24/2014Our Friday evening dinner at La Coop was a mixed bag. The food was absolutely wonderful, as it has been every time I have visited. The staff are friendly. But, The pre dinner cocktail had so little bourbon in it, you could not taste it, when I asked for an additional shot in each because they were so weak, they did it, at full charge, no apologies or inquiries. And, it was in the wrong type of glass. Our food server was not overly accommodating either. The vegetables were served several minutes after the entree, extra utensils were not brought immediately for shared items, etc. Nothing major but many little things that I would hope can be corrected because the food is outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We loved our mother/daughter dinnerMaryDined on 10/21/2014La Coop was an excellent choice for my "foodie" daughter and me. We split the Brussels spouts appetizer, which were cooked with pork belly and delicious! The look of delight on my daughter's face when she took her first bite was priceless. I also enjoyed the pecan salad with blue cheese ice cream. I was skeptical of the ice cream, but our waitress Lauren said this dish was very popular, and hasn't changed in the 2 1/2 years since La Coop has been open. It did not disappoint... the blue cheese flavor was very subtle and I could have munched on this salad all day. My coq au blanc was spectacular and my daughter enjoyed her mussels. They have a good French wine selection along with some fun special cocktails. Our server Lauren was delightful.Special Features:
- Couldn't have been better!GaboVIPDined on 10/18/2014This was our second visit: the first, several months ago, was wonderful, and this was even better. We are from out of town so can't go every week, but surely would go quite often if we lived in Louisville! The food was excellent, as was service. WE WILL BE BACK.Special Features:
- About the mussels...OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/15/2014Sorry to say, but as for the mussels, the shells were about normal size but the mussels inside were microscopic. The "sauce" tasted like milk that had been slightly warmed. No flavor at all. The bread delivered with the meal was all very large holes, with only the crust available for eating. Maybe the next time will be better. Hope this is taken as constructive criticism intended.
- Quality has slippedDatenight28Dined on 10/11/2014Menu items have slipped in quality and not as French based.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- each dish was spectacularadamjayDined on 10/8/2014our table had escargot, ratatouille, and frites, with Beef bourguignon, cassoulet, and mussels as entrées. The dishes were moderately priced for their qualities and flavors, and the wait staff was very professional and helpful. We can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great NightRoyaldinerDined on 10/4/2014My husband and I took my daughter to dinner at LaCoop. this was her first visit. Love this place. I had the special halibut which was delicious. My husband and daughter each ordered a salad with the blue cheese ice cream. I was glad they gave me a bite. My daughter ordered the mussels and enjoyed them. We split two desserts. I've never had a bad meal here. Good place for a special occasion or just meeting up with friends. Great drinks too.Special Features:
- Great, as alwayslovelacoopDined on 9/30/2014One of my top 5 restaurants in town, no question. We tried eating outside for our most recent visit - it was fine, but not anywhere near the great ambiance of inside, of course. I do wish it felt a little less thrown together out there, though I can understand the reasoning. That being said, the food was terrific. I brought an out of town guest from Atlanta who was not expecting such a cosmopolitan spot with such amazing food. He was really blown away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricy but not worth itRocketgirlVIPDined on 9/18/2014$18 for a shrimp cocktail? Not a well balanced menu. Prices did not match the offerings.
- DisappointedSmp101363Dined on 9/12/2014La Coop was one of our favorite places to go for good French wine and food. The wine is still great but the food was a big let down. Everything we ordered had to be sent back as it was not edible. We started with the mussels and had to send them back when we realized they were not cooked at all. Basically they were mush. Then we ordered the beneits (which we were told were like a hush puppy) and they were like hockey pucks. So hard we couldn't bite into them. We were given a free dessert for our horrible experience. What bothered me so much on our visit, was the owner sat down late night as our disasterous meal was ending and every employee in the restaurant hovered over his table. I bet he didn't get mushy mussels or hockey puck beneits!Special Features:
- Eat what the staff eats!davidrfrickDined on 9/12/2014We ordered the shredded pork taco appetizer, and split the Ratatouille as well as the pork chop with spiced mashed sweet potatoes. Each dish was brought out by a different staff member and each came with a glowing recommendation that this was either their favorite dish on current menu, or that it was what they ate before their shift. I didn't hear them say that to any other table. The food was outstanding, as was the overall experience. I will be back soon for sure!Special Features:
- Best scallopsScallopLoverDined on 9/12/2014La Coop had the best scallops I've ever had. They were perfectly seared. The steak frites were also very good. I will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little spotsnufari1Dined on 9/5/2014This was the first time we have eaten here. Other than having a small dining room this restaurant was a wonderful experience. Great food and great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/3/2014the meal i had here was one of the highlights of my trip to louisville. incredibly delish!Special Features:
- DisappointmentPam2Dined on 8/27/2014It was our 3rd time at this restaurant; 2nd time to order coq au vin. It was not good. I had one piece of carrot and two pearl onions and the chicken had lots of small bones which had to be spit out. Great coffee and the waitress was pleasant. Too expensive for bad food. Won't return.
- La Coop DinnerLouDinerDined on 8/23/2014I took my wife to La Coop for her birthday. The service was first class and most of the food was excellent. The Ham Beignets were a good appetizer. The salads were very good and the desserts were fabulous.. My wife's barbecue shrimp was very good but my short ribs left a little to be desired but still good, just not as good as the rest of the meal. I would recommend this and will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love the new BBQ shrimpfitfoodieVIPDined on 8/9/2014The Saturday night special, the BBQ shrimp was amazing!!!!! I can't wait to have it again. But remember, its only on Sat night.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/7/2014Enjoyable meal, good service, good wine. The veggie entre had very little in it. The ratatouille could have been called "zucchini in tomato sauce". Good tomato flavor, though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/2/2014I've been to Le Coop 4 times & the food has always been great, while the service inconsistent. This visit, the food was "meh" & the service non-existent. I found myself feeling stressed, as I'd brought a guest & wanted him to have a good experience. "Your food will be out in a minute," the server says, then we didn't see her again until after someone else brought *one* of our entrees 25 minutes later; the second entree followed 5 minutes after the first. No information/explanations/apologies were offered. When I raised an issue (very politely), the server didn't respond at all & walked away, seemingly confused. We didn't see her again until she literally dropped the check. There seemed to be a lack of training in responding to basic issues.
- ThanksrandomdinerVIPDined on 8/1/2014I always have a great time when bringing friends here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- superb!majorfoodieDined on 7/31/2014Everything I had was wonderful! It always is! Hat's off to chef Bobby!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 300 reviews are from the La Coop reviews archive.
- service was impeccable!heatherDined on 7/26/2014Our server was Eric, we had him last time. He was great before and even better this time. He was very knowledgable about the entire menu and really gave us a dining experience we would never forget.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChrisDined on 7/25/2014Ate outside on a perfect evening, excellent and attentive service, delicious apps and entrees, tasty cocktails, chef even sent out an extra order of fries just becauseSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/19/2014My wife and I had dinner at La Coop recently. Everything we ordered was fantastic. The BBQ shrimp were amazing and our server was fantastic as well. Highly recommend to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was very poorOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014Our food was good and interesting, but the service was so poor that it ruined the evening. We were obviously not wanted there and we were made to feel very uncomfortable.Special Features:
- Good, but not GreatBirthdayDinerDined on 7/16/2014The quality of food has declined since eating here a year and a half ago. The food was tasty, but not as outstanding as first tried.Special Features:
- Night out with HusbandjdubkyDined on 7/5/2014Table was immediately available upon arrival. Mixed greens salad was excellent. Husband really enjoyed the French Onion soup. I ordered the Steak Frites medium and my husband ordered the Coq au Vin. I saw the same order go to a neighboring table. Their meat was a nicely cut flank steak. My steak looked like an end cap of beef, it was rare and fatty. Duck fat fries were great. Husbands chicken had an overpowered flavor. Service was very good. Mixed review because parts of the meal was fantastic, others not so great.Special Features:
- Great Spot Can't Wait to Go BackCaryDDined on 7/5/2014We finally made it to La Coop and its now one of our local favorites... The food ,service and location are Great.. A must do spot in Louisville's new Nu Lu neighborhood....Special Features:
- Good celebration but....OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014My first glass of wine was flat. They told me well it was only opened yesterday. My second glass was worse. Since it was a celebration I didn't want to make a scene. Make sure you check out the wine.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice!Foodie64Dined on 6/27/2014This was our first visit and we were very pleased with the food and service. We will definitely visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Felt like I was in France!PepperridgeVIPDined on 6/26/2014Found this restaurant through trip advisor. Was looking for someplace different, small and close to our hotel. It was a short cab ride but not too expensive. Would definitely go back. One bad point was that they cooked the French onion soup too much and it wasn't the best I have tasted. Then the waitress said she would take it off of the bill but didn't.. :(Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Divine food, cozy atmosphereOutandaboutDined on 6/21/2014The food was delicious! The house salad and the salad with blue cheese ice cream were both good choices. My husband had the scallops which were perfect, and I had the polenta with roasted vegetables. Amazing! Earthy flavors with creamy polenta, yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful, but smell like fish.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/21/2014The Escargot is AMAZING!! The only negative we have is when there are lots of fish specials the restaurant has an open kitchen and it smells VERY strong. So much so, our clothes the next morning still had the odor to it. I would always go back no matter what though. I love the cocktails as well. Scallops are fantastic! (so yes I was part of the problem with the smell since we ordered that ;)Special Features:
- DessertOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/17/2014The highlight of out meal was definitely the bread pudding. It is a must have!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.