400 W 2nd St
Austin, TX 78701Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.lacondesaaustin.com/
- Phone: 5124990300
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday-Friday 11:30am-2:30pm Dinner: Sunday-Wednesday 5:00pm-11:00pm, Thursday-Saturday 5:00pm-11:00pm Brunch: Saturday & Sunday 11:00am-3:00pm La Condesa Austin will be closed for dinner service on Monday, February 13th from 3-10PM for a private event. If you are interested in booking a private event or reservation for a party of 5 guests or more, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Rene Ortiz
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: For off-premise catering information, please contact email@example.com
- Special Events: For special events information, please contact PDR@lacondesaaustin.com
- Cross Street: Guadalupe
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Meter parking is available throughout the downtown area. Garage parking is available directly in the AMLI on 2nd building or in the City Hall garage across the street. Complimentary valet parking is available for on 2nd Street between Guadalupe and San Antonio.
A word from La Condesa
Helmed by Executive Chef Rene Ortiz and Pastry Chef Laura Sawicki, La Condesa was recently nominated for a 2010 James Beard Foundation Award for 'Best New Restaurant' in the country and ranked the '#1 Restaurant in Austin' by the Austin Chronicle Restaurant Poll. Inspired by the hip, bohemian Condesa neighborhood of Mexico City, La Condesa serves contemporary Mexican cuisine with traditional regional influences. La Condesa also features Austin’s largest premium tequila selection with over 100 varieties of 100% blue agave tequila as well as a host of innovative specialty cocktails. Drawing on the bold flavors and vibrant colors of Mexico City, La Condesa provides an energetic atmosphere with creative, accessible cuisine in the heart of downtown Austin.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
La Condesa reviews from OpenTable diners
- We had a wonderful evening.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/29/2013We had a wonderful evening. The food, service, beverages, and hospitality were all top notch.Special Features:
- The food is always tasty atOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/17/2013The food is always tasty at La Condesa and I have never met a margarita I did not like there! Wait staff is always professional and courteous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small plates were great, esp.mhill157Dined on 3/12/2013Small plates were great, esp. venizon tacos and the ceviche. Service was friendly and informative Drink menu seemed worth return visits too. Sadly, we were just visiting Austin.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really left a bad taste!2bigeatersVIPDined on 3/11/2013Our short experience with the restaurant was most unpleasant from the beginning. The hostess was curt and too busy to do much more than point to a booth. Our order was taken immediately and everything, from drinks, appetizers and entress was delivered at once, immediately. Never, never tell the waiters here that you are ready to order unless you're ready to eat and drink everything at once. The salsa were just o.k. and the guacamole was pedestrian. Turning the tables is their main purpose.
- Excellent food. Unique dishesOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/9/2013Excellent food. Unique dishes with fresh ingredients. The brussel sprouts were amazing. the Would go back in a heartbeat the next time I visit Austin.Special Features:
- La Condesa was a terrificOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/7/2013La Condesa was a terrific dining experience. The food is Tex Mex inspired and carries some of the traditional names for dishes, but that's where the similarity ends. There were three in our group, we ordered a lot and shared -- and we didn't have one bad bite! Lots of interesting flavors. The atmosphere is festive, with both large and small groups, but not overwhelming for a smaller group like ours. We were visiting for business and felt we had made the right decision on finding a restaurant that would give us an authentic Austin experience.Special Features:
- The food was very good asFoodieDined on 3/3/2013The food was very good as was the service. We ate inside but the outdoor dining looked good. It was very noisy inside which I do not enjoy. There is nothing to absorb the noise!Special Features:
- La Condesa never dissappoints.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/1/2013La Condesa never dissappoints. My wife's favorite also, therefore we keep this as our ace in the hole! But we do miss the beef short rib w/molé. Bring it back please!?Special Features:
- The cocktails and salsas wereOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/28/2013The cocktails and salsas were especially inventive and interesting. All of the ingredients were very fresh.Special Features:
- Exemplary Austin Hot SpotLongtimeCustomerDined on 2/28/2013Excellent food; exciting and lively atmosphere. We arrived at 6:15; by 6:30 the restaurant was full of happy people.Special Features:
- Loved it. The the Leche dessertPattieVIPDined on 2/27/2013Loved it. The the Leche dessert was to die for. Our server was fabulousSpecial Features:
- We absolutely loved this place.OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/23/2013We absolutely loved this place. Everything we ate was outstanding and my dining companion's steak was one of best either of us have ever tasted. The style, furnishings, etc...were also fabulous!!!!
- The food at La Condesa isOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/23/2013The food at La Condesa is amazing! The service is fast and friendly.Special Features:
- Fantastic. Some of the mostOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/22/2013Fantastic. Some of the most interesting Mexican food i have hadSpecial Features:
- Didnt get it.Better yet:Dont get itOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/22/2013We're foodies who eat out a lot. I don't get the hype about La Condessa. SHORTENED review: It's certainly a hip place to go: The wall mural is very interesting & the ceiling multi-string light system is cool, BUT overall ambiance is really weak & cold. The lighting was too dim to read the menu. Iced tea had soap in it, my alternate Coke was totally flat. Store bought, average-tasting tortillas.(Come on, this is Austin...the food scene here demands homemade!) Even Serranos & Pappasitos do it well. Carne asada was tough, carnitas were spicy, but avg. Street corn boiled 1st, avg. flavor. Guac. sampler underwhelmed. (apple & crab guac? Really?) Waiter nice, but absent. Dulce de leche was THE lone star! $92 w/ no alcohol for that? Never again.Special Features:
- Disappointing choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/17/2013Very disappointed! Waitstaff was impersonal and not very welcoming. They did not try to make us feel special or appreciative of our business. Food was sub par. We discovered there were many different guacamoles to choose from, but when we ordered our waiter did not ask us which one we wanted. They were out off the fish that I was hoping to order. The entress arrived before we were done with our appetizer and they were lukewarm and tasteless to boot! With so many great restaurants to choose from in Austin, I am sorry we decided to dine at La Condesa.
- Proven GemOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/15/2013My boyfriend and I recently treated ourselves to dinner and had a wonderful time! We ordered (in order) Hongos y Huitlacoche (a must!), Aguichile with cobia, Trucha, Borrego, and Pollo Rostizado. We loved the lamb (Borrego) and ordered it medium rare but were advised by the chef it would be better served as medium. However, when it came we were secretly tickled it was medium rare and relished every last bite! My boyfriend is Peruvian and he said it tasted like home! It was absolutely amazing. Only thing we would have done differently would be to start with the taquitos, not end with them. We sipped on Pisco Sours (made by hand, not a blender-hard to find and delicious), Mojitos and El Cúbico. We wrapped up with espresso and dessert. A+Special Features:
- WOW!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/15/2013I had a friend come in from out of town and we were looking for notable vegan places to go during her stay. This place (though not vegan) came recommended to her, so we tried it out. I was told they had vegan options, but was floored by just how accommodating and creative they were! We had a wonderful appetizer of a corn based flat bread (I'm also gluten free, so this was excellent) w/really nice mushrooms on top and for the entree, an amazing & hearty cauliflower steak. After our meal, we were treated with an all vegan dessert. Coconut based ice cream w/nuts & chocolate syrup. My friend was also able to indulge in the vegan brownie bits, as well & she really liked it. This place is wonderful.Special Features:
- delicious and unique offerings,luschoenDined on 2/14/2013delicious and unique offerings, a twist on traditional mexican food. Will definately go back. Great location for a bite prior to a show at ACL Live Moody Theatre.Special Features:
- My wife and I thoroughly enjoyedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/13/2013My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed the food and the atmosphere. We will be back.Special Features:
- Wasn't impressed with theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/13/2013Wasn't impressed with the service and ability to recommend food and drink to customers. Too expensive for poor service. Don't think I'd go back unless somene else paid for it.Special Features:
- La Condesa stands aloneOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/13/2013I'm a regular of this fabulous place. Probably one of my favorites in Austin. Exceptional food, service is always top notch, and the signature drinks are incredible. Try the watermelon martini!Special Features:
- Yum yum yum!AngieDined on 2/9/2013My husband and I ate here while on a "kid free" trip to Austin. We don't often eat out because of the kids so we wanted to find something that would provide good food, service, vibe, etc. And not a place that we would ever take the kids! And that is what we found! I was eating dinner and realized I was so happy. This was SUCH a good meal. We had the guacamole sampler and the salsa sampler. Both were delicious and unique. For my entree I had the cauliflower steak - so good. Who would have thought that a cauliflower steak would be special or delicious. It was both. For dessert I had the beet cake and that was also amazing. It was just SUCH a good experience. A definite must try.Special Features:
- I have always loved this restaurantBrittaniDined on 2/9/2013I have always loved this restaurant. It is one of my go to places for a special night out that won't cost an arm and a leg. On the most recent visit though, the portion sizes on the entrees were much smaller, and didn't include much of any side items like in the past. Plan on spending a bit more to get the street corn, brussel sprouts, and the queso flamedo. The El Cubico is a must have drink.Special Features:
- Really delicious and uniqueOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/8/2013Really delicious and unique food! A fusion of favors, wonderful presentation, and we didn't feel stuffed like other Mexican food. Yummy! My out of town guests thoroughly enjoyed.Special Features:
- Ian was awesomeHaroldVIPDined on 2/8/2013Ian was an excellent server. He made great suggestions.Special Features:
- Everything was good, especiallyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/7/2013Everything was good, especially the salsa assortment.Special Features:
- Food is excellent! ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/6/2013Food is excellent! Service was attentive, which worked well since we were there for a business lunch (we were on a bit of a time crunch). The ambiance is okay during the day - I imagine it's better in the evening. Definitely will go back!Special Features:
- La Condesa was excellent indavidhDined on 2/2/2013La Condesa was excellent in every way. The food was quite good and very innovative yet traditional foundation of dishes. We wanted to try everything, so we'll be back! I think it is one of the best restaurants in Austin.Special Features:
- While I had been to the restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/30/2013While I had been to the restaurant for brunch on several occasions, it was my first time for dinner. Everything from the cocktails to the food to the service was first class. Can't wait to go back again.Special Features:
- I didn't think the sangriaOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/27/2013I didn't think the sangria was all that great but the food was very good. Very small portions to keep the waistline in check.Special Features:
- Noisy place, but good food,tapperDined on 1/26/2013Noisy place, but good food, even if it was a little pricey. Food service seemed to be confused, they seemed to have a hard time getting us our order correctly, and got the drinks wrong, but it was worked out relatively quickly. Fish tacos were good, albeit small. I would go back. Guacamole sampler was very good. I would go back.Special Features:
- Lunch for 3 girlfriends wasartloverDined on 1/23/2013Lunch for 3 girlfriends was superb!!! Friendly and knowledgeable, wonderful food/ beautifully served! I'll go back as often as I can.Special Features:
- The food was, as always, mouthOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/11/2013The food was, as always, mouth watering. We started with guacamole with chipotle and toasted almonds along with three salsas. It's hard to believe these dishes can stand out in Austin, but they definitely do. Then on to the chicken tacos, which exploded with flavor, and the vegetarian dish of the day. We ended with the desert of the day - a baked apple & quince dish with home made ice cream. Unbelieveable.Special Features:
- My second time there and thoroughlyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/11/2013My second time there and thoroughly enjoyed La Condesa. I would recommend it to anyone, any time !Special Features:
- We are vegan & to find a placeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/10/2013We are vegan & to find a place of this caliber is a treat. Great place to go with my meat eating friends & perfect fir special occasions
- I had dinner at La CondesaHungry123Dined on 1/9/2013I had dinner at La Condesa with a friend. The food at La Condesa was excellent. The street corn did not disappoint. The dessert managed to be both innovative and delicious. The scene is very hip and the wait is long. Thankfully, I had made reservations.Special Features:
- Superb in every respect--oneOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 1/7/2013Superb in every respect--one of the most creatively-prepared, well-presented meals I have enjoyed over the past year or more. This venue gets my strongest possible recommendation!Special Features:
- had the wagyu tacos with manchego.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/7/2013had the wagyu tacos with manchego. did not like that the manchego was melted to a crisp. it was just one conjealed, hard blanket of cheese. could not even taste that yummy manchego taste. why is it cooked that long? i think manchego is best when it's just barely melted by the heat of the steak.
- Always fresh, tasty favors.KeeKeepmrDined on 1/7/2013Always fresh, tasty favors. You get a lot for your money. Go to Happy Hour, have some drinks and appetizers and then share various dishes at dinner. You get to taste many things and a great value. You are also not so stuffed at the end of your evening! La Condesa does it right!Special Features: