La Colombe d'Or
3410 Montrose Blvd
Houston, TX 77006Neighborhood:
Midtown / Montrose
EuropeanPrice: $50 and over
La Colombe d'Or
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lacolombedor.com/
- Phone: 7135247999
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European
- Executive Chef: Jeramie Robison
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact us for details.
- Private Party Contact: Roberto Lloret 7135247999
- Special Events: La Colombe d'Or is offering a special menu for Thanksgiving Day. We will be serving lunch from 11:30 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. Please e-mail sales@lacolombedor for the menu.
A word from La Colombe d'Or
Welcome to La Colombe d’Or Hotel, Restaurant, and Art Gallery. An award-winning restaurant, La Colombe d'Or specializes in modern European cuisine. A Texas twist on wild game and exotic dishes make this a truly unique dining experience. We look forward to serving you! Bon Appétit!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
La Colombe d'Or reviews from OpenTable diners
- Very good but priceychaupedroDined on 3/24/2014The restaurant used to be a wealthy person's home. The ambiance is very nice. The food is very good, but the price is definitely on the high side. However, $24 for a substantial chunk of foie gras (duck's liver) is not too bad, and there are a few "good value" wines among the expensive ones.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was not romanticEmmanuelVIPDined on 2/18/2014I made a reservation for dinner at this restaurant expecting a quiet, romantic dinner with my wife & I. They failed to inform me that they had scheduled a huge benefit party with 200+ people at the same time. Besides only having one harried waiter for the entire area because all the other wait staff was busy serving the party, the entire room was vibrating with the techno-electric music beats of their DJ. If I had wanted to eat in the middle of a nightclub, I would have gone to a nightclub. What was supposed to be a rare romantic dinner with my wife at a top notch restaurant was ruined by the frat house atmosphere of the party that was spilling out all over the grounds of the restaurant.Special Features:
- dissapointmentalexVIPDined on 2/15/2014Sorry to say that the Restaurant was less than satisfactory. Wait staff very impatient, food was less than appealing so overall would not go back. Lobster bisque was their "specialty". More like gravy than bisque with crawfish tails included but not very good. Chateaubriand was decent but presentation was lacking as presented to table direct from the kitchen with what appeared to be a femur bone on the plate with bone marrow. Not attractive nor was it tasty. Think a little attention to detail and more appetizing dishes would have changed my mind, but this impression was not good.Special Features:
- DisappointmentKatedidVIPDined on 2/15/2014Sat. 02/16/14 party of 4. Pedestrian food--why would one ever think of flattening, frying and ruining a perfectly good filet mignon rendered therefore tasteless as beef and negatively memorable only for it's over peppered coating? Best dish was smoked, but slightly woody textured, octupus tentacle as appetizer. Service mediocre for the exorbitant high prices. Have been to this restaurant on special occasions for 25 years. It has disappointed before and I'm afraid Mr Zimmerman's and his kitchen and front of the house staff's efforts again failed. We won't be back.
- Valentine's Day DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2014I had never heard of this restaurant, but the reviews looked good. I don't usually like to go out on a limb and try a place that is too fancy. I sometimes feel like the whole charade is so tiring. That being said, I thought it place was the real deal. I believe the manager, a German man I believe, had a lot to do with how much I enjoyed the meal. He knew how to "pace" the evening, and I didn't feel rushed to order. My girlfriend and I really enjoyed the food. I would definitely consider going back, on a regular night, as the manager suggested. Oh, and the menu is definitely organic enough for me, though it doesn't specify, if you know, then you know.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meals that ARE the CelebrationMarkGDined on 2/8/2014We have been going to La Colombe d'Or for 25 years and have never been disappointed. The food is unbelievably delicious from the appetizers forward. From the Heirloom Tomatoes with Buffalo Mozzarella to the Gulf Prawns it was exceptional. Love their Texas spin on European tradition.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food. We will beTejanoDined on 1/31/2014Excellent food. We will be back for the roasted pig.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Took clients to dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/24/2014The food was very good and the wine selection was pretty amazing. We had such a great time and attention we got from our waiter was amazing. I won't hesitate to come back in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ambiance, food was mediocreNatalieDined on 12/31/2013We are there for NYE, these issues may not be true on evenings with less people. Tomato salad was so sweet, couldn't eat it. Bread was homemade and delicious. Snapper dish was not good. Drowned in cream sauce with no flavor. Fish sat on top of burned cauliflower. Husband ordered chateaubriand and said it was good. So many amazing french restaurants here that serve amazing food. Probably won't go back, but glad we tried it.
- New Year's Eve 2013KmjlawDined on 12/31/2013Wonderful, romantic, delicious, beautiful, hospitable . . . what more is there?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tried their chicken friedTerryDined on 12/24/2013Tried their chicken fried filet and it was over breaded , dry and underwhelming. This entree was overpriced for such an unaccomplished result. I could have got a chocked fried steak at Luby's that would have been better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent all-aroundKML111111VIPDined on 12/14/2013We had another perfect evening at La Colombe d'Or. Service, food, wine, and setting were all fabulous. It is an expensive evening but worth every penny. It is so nice to have such personalized service and waiters/sommeliers who really try to help you make the right choice for what you are looking for. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romanticfoodlover86Dined on 12/14/2013We went for my husband's birthday and it was ideal. Such a precious atmosphere, very romantic, and the service was impeccable. I loved how quiet it was and that we could actually carry on a nice conversation and hear ourselves talk. Would definitely go back. It is a great spot as a venue as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Lunchcat5Dined on 12/4/2013It was a wonderful lunch..host met me at the door and called me by name....service was excellent....great drinks/wine...fine food....able to have a conversation.....beautiful surroundings.....would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went with good friends. PreJames1Dined on 11/8/2013Went with good friends. Pre ordered the Suckling Pig...sorry I cannot show pix on this site because it was beautifully done and excellent along with the Caviar Service and wine paring....don't wait too long to try try this wonderful restaurant. The owner Mr. Zimmerman gave us a tour of the art work and explained each piece..all and all a great evening....looking forward to next time.Special Features:
- Great Service!GlennCarinaDined on 11/2/2013The staff was outstanding and went out of their way to accommodate us and also acknowledged my wife's birthday. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very intimateOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/26/2013This dining experience was overall good but that was due to the ambiance of the restaurant. The food was fine but nothing to go back for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PhenomenalPopeyeVIPDined on 10/12/2013It was absolutely phenomenal! The new chef is doing a fantastic job- best dinner I have had in Houston in the last year! Very elegant decor- the perfect place for a special occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A special place in HoustonOpenTableDinerVIPDined on 10/2/2013La Colombe d'Or is a special place in Houston. The restaurant has excellent food and the dining room is romantic and cozy. I really can't say enough about the food here. It is truly outstanding and on a winter night, venison and a nice bottle of wine is just perfect. The wine list has plenty of well aged, pricey red wines but I really think it needs to include some more moderately priced, modern wines. They seem to have more $500.00-$5000.00 bottles than $50.00-$250.00 bottles on the list. I love to have the option of splurging on an old wine but more reasonable choices should be included. The service is hit or miss and I wish the servers were more knowledgeable about the food and wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food. Spotty serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/7/2013We had a nice, quiet birthday dinner but the service bordered on neglectful. They did surprise us with a free birthday dessert and cappuccinos in response to our complaints about the service. There were very few other people in the restaurant at the time, with the exception of a large group in a private room. Perhaps that's why we were overlooked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WENT FOR HOUSTON FOOD BANKjimlVIPDined on 8/31/2013WENT FOR HOUSTON FOOD BANK MONTH. SET MENU. EVERYTHING WAS GREAT AND HOT. SERVICE WAS VERY ATTENTIVE. BEAUTIFUL HOME WITH GREAT FURNISHINGS. HIGHLY RECOMMEND.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible Meal, Rude ServiceRichardVIPDined on 8/27/2013We dined for HRW. It's a lovely building, food was fair, service awful. We were treated like intruders, not worth the time of a place that usually sells pricey wine to patrons dining on inconsistent, overpriced food. They seemed put off that I asked for dark napkins rather than use white on dark clothes (something they should offer without being asked). The apps arrived almost as soon as ordered; the escargots tasted like it was already made and rewarmed. My filet was okay, nothing special. I had to ask for steak knife. Redfish was overcooked and bland. They literally delivered dessert as they cleared entrees. Then the waiter chased me down to confront me because he didn't like tip. In sum, the worst meal ever. You should never eat here.
- HRW menuRedvelvetDined on 8/27/2013Three ladies going out for HRW-/we loved the quiet dining room. There were a couple of large groups but still calm. I ordered the red fish which was the perfect serving size and beautifully dressed. My friends had the filet and said it was cooked perfectly and was also very good. The kale salad was overwhelmed by the dressing and the lobster bisque watery. I would go back again for the bread alone.Special Features:
- Very relaxed, intimate, elegant.EdHoustonDined on 8/24/2013Very relaxed, intimate, elegant. Great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was fantastic. The staffryanDined on 8/16/2013Food was fantastic. The staff was attentive. Owner came over to welcome us. We had a group of 4 and everyone loved their food. Overall, a very enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing Restaurant Week MenuGhobVIPDined on 8/10/2013My husband loved the escargot and I enjoyed the kale salad but we both were disappointed with our entrees. I had a petit filet mignon and he had the redfish. The filet was a chewy grade of meat and the redfish seemed overcooked. Not a particularly good showing for restaurant week, especially given the increased $45/person versus the typical $35/person restaurant week menu. The wine selections were also not particularly good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- restaurant week menuwinoDined on 8/8/2013The lobster bisque was amazing with large pieces of meat. The entree of braised goat was a little tough but deliciously flavored. The bread pudding dessert left something to be desired. Overall, I recommend it.Special Features:
- UpscaleFoodieVIPDined on 8/8/2013We enjoyed our meal. This is not one of the premier places you think of going to for a elegant meal in Houston but it should be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed the food and service.OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/8/2013Enjoyed the food and service. I left very satisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch at Colombe d'OrOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/8/2013Lunch at Colombe d'Or is really lovely - the food, the room, everything. However, there are no people there. I was at a table for 3 and there was one other table for 2. It is a shame because it's a great, quiet place for lunch. We were brought champagne when they found out we were celebrating birthdays. I would prefer a little more variety on the lunch menu - a little more like the dinner menu. I hope more people find this lovely restaurant so it will be there for many more years for us to enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old World Charm with great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/5/2013This restaurant is in an old Oil Barron Mansion turned hotel. We were offered and took a tour of some of the rooms and the art gallery on the 3rd floor. Very impressive indeed. We went for lunch and it was very quiet, we were well attended but not hovered over. The Maitre' D and Waiter were personable, knowledgeable, and professional. The food was excellent and presented with loving arrangement, I had the quail while my wife had the seafood pasta. We shared an Escargot pastry appetizer unlike any I have experienced before. Strongly recommended for those who fancy themselves foodies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Raising the Bar on Exquisite DiningGermdoctorVIPDined on 6/28/2013My wife and I were celebrating our anniversary and wanted to do something special. The restaurant is in an old home and is also a small hotel. The food was simply amazing. To start, I had the veal sweetbreads, which is likely not to everyone's liking but I had no fear of trying it, knowing it would be wonderful. My wife had the jumbo crab tower-huge and delicious. For main courses, I had the red snapper special-delicate piece of fish served over chanterelle mushrooms and my wife had the sous vide buffalo, served over tiny, tender grilled okra. We ordered sides of grilled spinach and roasted brussel sprouts made with house cured Texas pancetta. Everything was fantastic. Oh, and the piping hot crusty bread-yum. A memorable night out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic Get AwayRUSSELLSMITHDined on 6/21/2013This is a perfect place for a quiet romantic dinner. They do a great job treating you like royalty. Example: I ordered an Arnold Palmer to drink. They do not usually serve that drink. Instead of telling me no, they went into the back made homemade lemonade and came out with my Arnold Palmer. By the way, the best Arnold Palmer I have ever had. The food was good and the experience was great. If you are new to Houston or never tried this restaurant, it worth a try. You are surround with a lot of Houston history and great customer service. It is very private and quiet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service, food prep notoreojackDined on 6/20/2013We recently visited this restaurant for my mother's birthday. She's always preferred the old school way of dining where all factors, service, ambiance, food, play an important role in the dining experience. This restaurant is located in a small hotel that was very inviting, and charming. We actually had two waiters who obviously were experienced in fine dining service; attentive, but no pressure. As this is a very expensive restaurant, our expectations were high, but the food prep lacked some basic features. We had the filet, the scallop special, the braised goat, and the duck. Wonderful presentation on all dishes, but the steak was not cooked to proper temperature, a cold side dish, and the scallops lacked flavor.
- Great Ambiance .. unflavorful foodSaraDined on 6/18/2013Went there for my birthday celebration with my fiance. The ambiance and service were outstanding. The appetizers were good. The main courses were very bland. The desserts less than mediocre.Special Features:
- From drinks at the quiet barOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/13/2013From drinks at the quiet bar (great martinis) to a nicely paced, elegant dinner, everything was delicious. Thanks to the staff and chef for making this a "must return".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice change of pace for Houston!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/18/2013Very enjoyable dining experience. Reminiescent of many meals that I have had in Europe where they do not rush the meal to turn your table; you can't hear the noise from the tables around you, and the waitstaff was attentive but not hovering. A great place for a special meal. The decor is well done ecletic mix of classic and contemporary. Would like to see a more extensive wine list but it was sufficient. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Joy & Ambiance - May 11, 2013OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/11/2013Food must be fresh, hot and flavorful. My scallops were served cold and tasted more of cold oxidized butter rather than the flavor of the scallops themselves. Conveying immediate attention of concerns with the waitstaff would have been irrelavant because quality begins from the food market to the Chef. Even the idea of requesting a second try at resending the scallops for warm up is evidence that this restaurant's reputation stands alone. The abscence of this fundamental requirement of fresh, hot and flavorful food is most unfortunate. Unless one is soley guided by ambiance I do not recommend this establishment. When we first arrived the valet was not accessible. Although I will never return, the joy of my company was most excellent........
- Special anniversaryBobB59Dined on 5/9/2013We ate here for our our thirtieth anniversary. It was also where we had our wedding reception. We no longer live in the area so this was a special return trip. It was quite a wonderful sentimental journey. The champagne, food and ambiance were great. They created a special dessert for us. It was extremely memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My wife and I enjoyed a niceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/15/2013My wife and I enjoyed a nice quite elegant dinner to celebrate our one year anniversary "Loved it" . The food and service was excellent.Special Features: