La Collina Restaurant
37-41 Ashland Avenue
Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
La Collina Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lacollina.us/
- Phone: 6106681780
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:30pm-9pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Dancing, Entertainment, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: La Collina is the ideal setting for private parties or special events, offering a variety of options for your social or business affairs. Our spectacular wine cellar offers a charming, casual elegance, with accommodations for up to 70 guests. Our main dining rooms comfortably seat 110 guests in elegant surroundings reminiscent of Italy.
From intimate dinner parties to larger receptions, La Collina will create an unforgettable experience for you and your guests.
- Entertainment: We provide the best live entertainment on the Main Line in our beautiful Ca" Nova Bar. Thursday nights offer the sounds of Joey on the Piano. Fridays we have Giorgio on the violin or the American classics by George Sinkler. And Saturdays we have the beautiful voice of Elizabeth with the always entertaining Pasquale.
A word from La Collina Restaurant
La Collina has delighted diners with world-class cuisine, service, and ambiance for more than 25 remarkable years. Classically-trained staff serve a selection of the finest old-world recipes in an atmosphere of casual elegance, while attending to every detail. Located just off the Schuylkill Expressway in Belmont Hills, La Collina boasts spectacular hilltop views. The bar offers a unique atmosphere with live entertainment and dancing on weekends. This gem is known as one of the most romantic restaurants on the Main Line. La Collina specializes in fresh seafood and veal dishes. Its signature dish, Dover Sole, is a delicate, tasty fish that is uniquely grilled, and served tableside. In addition to our Dover Sole, our daily fresh-fish specials include Branzino, Norwegian Salmon, Pompano, Orata, soft-shell crabs, Langostina, and other delights from the sea, depending upon availability. We are also known for our veal sirloin, veal porterhouse, ossobuco, and chops. Buon Appetito!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
La Collina Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Bala-Cynwyd ›
La Collina Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
41 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (26)neighborhood gem (17)romantic (16)scenic view (13)good for groups (11)notable wine list (10)fit for foodies (9)vibrant bar scene (4)great for lunch (3)late-night find (2)hot spot (2)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- DependableSmoothVIPDined on 8/18/2014This time I had the Dover Sole which was excellent, a little pricey, but I guess you're enjoying watching them filet the fish at the table which I guess is considered entertainmentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentDrewbaccaDined on 8/18/2014Been here a few times over the past few years and its always incredible. Evertime I leave thinking 'why don't I come here more often?' Took a date and we had the saltimbocca alla romana & veal chop which were both outstanding! Great atmosphere & great wine too ... always a perfect gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, good experience.LookingforYumsDined on 8/13/2014This was our first time at La Collina and we met a few friends there to catch up. We'd always seen the restaurant sitting up on the hill from 76 so we were excited to finally get there. Ultimately we enjoyed it; food was great, very friendly, free valet experience, and it was easy to chat. We thought the service was a little stiff, perhaps given the difference between us and the other clientele (we were in a slightly lower age demographic) but they we're not rude by any means. Overall, good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it used to be.Food4thoughtDined on 8/13/2014We frequented this establishment quite a number of times over the last 20 or so years. The service and attitude of the server was poor. The food was ok, vegetables underdone. Trying to get a decent glass of red wine was an undertaking that was most unusual. The four of us decided it wasn't worth returning. Too bad.
- Another Great DinnerPadreDined on 8/9/2014I love to frequent this restaurant because the staff is friendly, food is great, it is a nice place to bring a guest or friend. Never had a bad experience here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- iwolfiwolfVIPDined on 8/9/2014For many years I drove by what I hoped was a gem tucked away in the hills overlooking the river. I finally decided to take the family for dinner, thinking that the prices would reflect cuisine. The good news - the service was outstanding. Old world charm and elegance that prepared me for a special evening. The bad news - the food. Let's start with Italian bread that lacked any crust. The salad - the croutons in the Caesar salad tasted like they came from stale bread and the lettuce was presented as a collection of chopped greens that had been soaked in a mediocre dressing. My osso bucco was presented on a bed of overdone rice and the meat lacked seasoning. My wife's salmon was overdone. My son's pasta primavera was swimming in olive oil.Special Features:
- Always reliableFredDined on 8/9/2014Menu doesn't change much which is good and bad. The items on the menu are always extremely good. Might be nice to have some more variety in the specials which are always the same. The only thing that has changed over the years is the price which has consistently gone up. Still would go back in a heart beat. The consistency of the menu means my wife can also count on getting dover sole which she swears is better than any other place she has ever gone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/12/2014when i made the 5:30 reservation it stated i would be receiving 1000 points. when you sent me my confirmation it was only 100 points. NOT NICE!Special Features:
- the bestmrmontcoVIPDined on 6/20/2014Been going there for years and each time I go I am not disappointed. Enzo the owner is a real gentleman. Great appetizers and the sauce is terrific.Special Features:
- Consistently great foodSherDined on 6/13/2014We get to La Collina about once a month and have never been disappointed! The food is always delicious, service is always very attentive and the bartender, Maurice, always charming. We enjoy the live music at the bar and then we're home in 8 minutes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/11/2014I've driven past this place for years and wondered what it was like, up in the hills above I-76 looking down on the likes of you and me. I decided to try it out for a night. It was like dining out in the past. Older clientele - live show tunes from the bar; it felt like I was dining on the set of Goodfellas - everyone seemed to know each other. Great Italian. Definitely fancier fare than most Italian places. The ossobucco was like butter. Fantastic deserts. Great view of Manayunk. Good place for a date. Good place to go for a really nice night out.Special Features:
- MichalDined on 6/7/2014We were 8 people on a Saturday night . Food was okay . The Porterhouse veal was great . Everything else was average . The deserts were horrible . Everyone of them ( coconut cake , flan , tiramisu ) . The waiter was unfriendly and didn't answer some of the questions we had .Special Features:
- Bad serviceJc36VIPDined on 5/27/2014The waiters were wearing white jackets, so you expect a certain level of service. Nope, you don't get that. We had to wait at the hostess stand for awhile to get seated and the place only had 5 tables filled at lunch. Once they sat us, they didn't bring the menu for 5-10 min. They didn't remove the side dish salad that came out first til the end of the meal when they cleaned all the plates. Asked for water during the meal and didn't fill the glass until we were paying the bill.
- DisappointingPhillyVIPDined on 5/24/2014We hadn't been here in quite sometime and it will be a very long time before we return. My salad was not fresh, veal parm was dry, soup was just adequate, veal steak was good, but the vegetables were not flavorful and dry. It's a lovely room and server was pleasant, but food was disappointing.Special Features:
- Food with viewmediafoodieDined on 5/20/2014There's a great view out the dining room windows across the Schulylkill to Manayunk. The restaurant is on top of a hill. Food is delicious. People are friendly. A restaurant has been here forever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, very accommodatingLDWPGHDined on 5/17/2014The staff was outstanding! We were welcomed even though we were late because graduation went a lot longer than scheduled. The service was wonderful and the food was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Un Impressedhmc4Dined on 5/13/2014Been there before but had been awhile was very excited because I had seen a sign that they had soft shell crabs my favorite. Well I have cooked them better at home .... Very Disappointed....Now my husband had a veal chop , first one they brought out was the wrong chop. So I ate my dinner and he sat there and then he had gotten his dinner and I sat and watched him eat.....Special Features:
- La CollinaLCSBVIPDined on 5/12/2014Food is consistently good and the service is always top notchSpecial Features:
- Old favorite still pleasesMarseatoatsDined on 5/12/2014We used to go here with my parents in the 80's before Philadelphia was flooded with loads of bright new restaurants. La Collina has held its own and still serves delicious italian meals, Loved it then, love it now.Special Features:
- Mixed experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/10/2014What could have been a lovely experience was not because we were seated in the bar- I think we should have been asked if we wanted to be seated there rather than assuming it was ok. When I asked about the music set up upon being seated- the maitre D said it would start later and be background. It started almost immediately and was not. The waiter was inattentive, forgetful, rote and went about things as if it was all an effort. The food was very good and had a good plate presentation. I have dined here several times before to a great experience each time so perhaps this was just an off nite. Hope so.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/4/2014It is always a pleasure to eat at this restaurant. The noise level is just is perfect for hearing your table mates and the servers are terrific. We had a great meal (they do the whole fish and filet it table side - always good) and enjoyed the company of good friends. Our friends were from out of town and commented on how much they enjoyed the restaurant.Special Features:
- The following 206 reviews are from the La Collina Restaurant reviews archive.
- Hidden GemPadreDined on 4/26/2014I always love coming to La Collina. Staff is always friendly and helpful, food is good, great place for a night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodoutfiordinnerDined on 4/26/2014We so enjoyed our dinner at La Collina restaurant with my family. The service was outstanding as the food was. We had the veal special. The desert cart was a gem of goodies hard to choose one. So we picked 3 and shared. The wait staff was on spot and filled every our every need...Special Features:
- Not impressed.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/25/2014Despite reservation, had to wait for a table. Restaurant was not crowded. Directed to the bar. Bartender was inattentive and unfriendly. Shocked that a small glass of house cabernet cost $10. Restaurant is way overpriced, and the food isn't anything to rave about. The waiter (Mike) was very friendly and attentive. This and the valet (Anthony) were the only saving graces for the evening. After dinner, we listened to some live music in the bar. Again, the bartender was very inattentive and downright unfriendly. You would think he would have cracked a smile and asked us if we would have liked anything. He seemed more interested in socializing with his friends than paying attention to customers.Special Features:
- Nice RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/20/2014This is the first time we dined at La Collina and we would return. The portions were a bit small but the food was delicious and the dining atmosphere was quite pleasant.Special Features:
- Convenient location, food OKMaryPVIPDined on 4/18/2014Convenient location & free valet parking. We dined during restaurant week so menu options were limited since doing restaurant week deal. My gnocchi was delicious however the appetizers and dessert were average at best. My spouse's entree of veal was nothing special either hence the 3 rating. Venue was fairly loud. Lounge had decent live music though. Server was frazzled when it got busy but was well versed on menu.Special Features:
- Closing a DealRbusDined on 4/10/2014I brought 2 people who I am trying to do business here for lunch. It was quiet, the service was excellent and the food was great. The people I brought continued to rave about it when we got back to my office. Great place for a business lunch.Special Features:
- Italiano At It's BestZManVIPDined on 3/28/2014Never disappoints.........as enjoyable as ever. One of my favorite restaurants. This is "Real Italian" food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great business dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/26/2014Brought business colleges for dinner. I have been to La Collina a number of times, the food and service was FANTASTIC as usual. Tony C. added some special touch that my out of town business friends raved about. I'm sure the next they are in town, they will be back!
- evening with friendsalfieDined on 3/15/2014Wonderful evening with friends that we hadn't seeing for a while, we love the wine, the food, the atmosphere. Lovely evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerstupendousDined on 3/15/2014Had a very nice dinner, fish was yummy but the desert was subpar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice restaurantLarrydermVIPDined on 3/14/2014The food and service were very nice. Unfortunately, the add-ons that were not obvious on the menu made for an expensive dinner.Special Features:
- Fun for allFrompusVIPDined on 3/10/2014This place is truly traditional Italian. It's been years since I was there with locals, but decided to go for my birthday. It is as good or better than I remembered. I can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good niteAfoodEVIPDined on 3/8/2014i've been here several times and each time this place has not let me down, good food, good service, great ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great service,marcrobertVIPDined on 3/8/2014Great food, great service, quiet and comfortable. What more could you ask for? La Collina is consistently a wonderful dining experience, but don't tell anyone. I wouldn't want to ruin one of my favorite places.Special Features:
- Exceeds ExpectationsTwandaVIPDined on 3/7/2014I live near La Collina and drive past every day. Finally, on a night when my friends wanted to take me out. I suggested it. What a lovely meal. It is old world in a good way. Everything we ordered was delicious and came out quickly. I had seafood gnocchi in a blush sauce followed by Pollo Collina. Both excellent. The dessert cart was great too!Special Features:
- very favorable dining experience!selsamDined on 3/1/2014Time and again we turn to La Collina as one of our favorites! And we are never disappointed. It has become one of our frequent 'go to' places that still offers a great menu selection, and a touch of 'old world' service and ambiance. Looking forward to a return visit soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good but not good enoughSiggDined on 3/1/2014Good menu but the food was not good enough for the high cost. E.g., a veal dish lacked flavor & my arancini far surpass those we had here. Also, our server seemed annoyed or bored; he reluctantly answered questions; he also interrupted our conversation too often to inquire how everything was, and seemed to want us to hurry up and leave. I also don't like restaurants where I'm told a list of specials without also told the cost (it's embarrassing when out with friends to have to ask) and where menu items lack any description (to know what's in a dish named for the restaurant, one must ask the server - slowing down the ordering process and annoying the server on a busy night).Special Features:
- Surprisingly GoodLarrydermVIPDined on 2/28/2014There is a traditional Italian menu with well-prepared food. The cocktails are generous and well-made. The service is excellent.Special Features:
- Best EverBrieDined on 2/22/2014I recently had mt 40 th birthday party there and the staff was very accomadating to all my special requests. My waitress was name Milley and she was like in my head when she decorated my table for the party and was very attentive thru out the evening. My guests expressed how it was a 5 star restaurant and are definetly going back. I have an awesome time and will never forget my experience there. If you are looking for top notch I suggest you go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.