16A W Main St
Freehold, NJ 07728Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lacipollina.com/
- Phone: 7323083830
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm;
Sunday: 1:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian
- Executive Chef: Matt Higgins
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, BYO Liquor, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Takeout
A word from La Cipollina
Zagat review: Now at the quarter-century mark, this dependable (if hard-to-find) Freehold Italian BYO maintains its old-world ways with a classic menu of quality items served by an excellent tuxedoed team. The elegant decor lends it special-occasion status and bargain prix fixe specials keep costs under control.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
La Cipollina - Best Restaurants in Freehold ›
La Cipollina reviews from OpenTable diners
18 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
romantic (9)special occasion (9)neighborhood gem (9)fit for foodies (8)great for outdoor dining (6)good for groups (3)notable wine list (2)late-night find (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Enjoyable meal !CherDined on 8/23/2014We were a group of four and we were all happy with the service and our meals . We will definitely come back .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!SkewmanDined on 8/16/2014A Freehold gem for sure. Great food and presentation. BYOB which adds to the pluses. The chef is really good at inventing unique dishes. Check out the specials.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful ExperienceAudreyVIPDined on 8/8/2014It's been years since our last visit to La Cipollina. It's a rare day that a restaurant stays in business for decades. There's a good reason for that...great food, service and an added touch of entertainment. At first we were escorted to the exterior courtyard where we ate under a tent.There was a guitarist/singer entertaining us throughout our meal. The waiters couldn't do enough for us. BYOB I highly recommend for that special evening with friends or a romantic date.Special Features:
- SpecialwineanddineDined on 8/1/2014We took friends for their anniversary because we wanted them to have a special dining experience. The food was delicious and the service just as good. We had a nice surprise when we were all treated to a dish of tortellini which was fabulous. At the end of the dinner my friends were presented with a piece of cake with a candle. Our friends said they would definitely return.Special Features:
- FANTASTICFredDined on 7/25/2014First time and I will not be the last!! Food and Service top rate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GeorgeGeorgeDined on 7/25/2014Food and service was very good, we had friends from out of town staying with us, we decided to try La Cipollina we read the reviews, menus and we were not disappointedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- service suckslove2eatDined on 6/29/2014It took so long before they serve food. Waitwrs were too young and inexperienced. its not cost effective. The food is median okay nothing spectacular.Special Features:
- RelaxingwineanddineVIPDined on 6/28/2014I have been going to La Cipollina for more than 20 years. They have always had better than average food as well a attentive wait staff. They have never rushed us and we have always experience fine dinning here. A very good spot to spend time with friends and family. If you are in a rush don't come here, not a fast food establishment, this is truly a place where you spend an evening dining.Special Features:
- Disappointed.Food4goodDined on 6/15/2014This was our third and most likely the last dining experience. The first time we absolutely loved the food and the service. Exclusive deserts and the atmosphere was outstanding. The second time, the food was so-so but the service was great. The last time, on the Father's Day, we had reservations. When arrived, we were seated at the small table on old, cracked chairs. When asked to be moved to another, larger table, we were denied as there were reserved tables. We were 6 people and a baby in a car seat. Appetizers took about 25-30 min. Should be noted that there were 3 tables with 12 people total in the restaurant. The good was way too salty. Chilian see bass over cooked and salmon too dry. One entry was not delivered. Bad experience.Special Features:
- Fantastic FoodrockyDined on 6/15/2014Went for Father's Day. Ordered the special homemade mozzarella appetizer. Over thr top !!! Wished I lived closer would go back today. We also had the Ossobuco which was done perfectly and two of us had the best roasted salmon EVER.Special Features:
- Luv 2 dineOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/13/2014Another wonderful evening As long as Anthony us on the floor and Matt is cooking this is the premier Minmouth Cty eaterySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 43 reviews are from the La Cipollina reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/11/2014Food, ambiance, noise level very good but had the same service problem again from last time and at the same time - after dinner. Getting the waiter's attention for coffee and again to pay the bill. There's too much "kitchen door socializing" later in the evening at the neglect of the customer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service good, food not as expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/10/2014Despite a huge menu, three out of four in our party didn't care for their meals. Although the restaurant tries very hard to excel, the taste of the food fell short. Perhaps it's the quantity of selections? I prefer a restaurant that has a smaller selection and concentrates on executing each dish well.
- Impecable service and amazing foodlaracasper11Dined on 4/20/2014My husband and I went to La Cipploina for Easter dinner. We both opted for the 3 course $39 tasting menu. The Gruyere topped French onion soup with French grilled cheese was wonderful. That was followed by unique and salacious Caesar salad. And my entree was a butternut squash raviloi in a saffron cream sauce with craisins. The food was fantastic. Andrew, the server was wonderul as well. The executive chef, Matt Higgins, came out to introduce himself and tell us about the food preparattion and ask how we enjoyed dinner. It was an amazing expereince and they even boxed up some desserts for us to try at home!Special Features:
- As regular customers of LaDaveDined on 4/11/2014As regular customers of La Cipollina we are consistently thrilled with not only the quality of the meal but the entire experience. It is far too rare in these times of corporate restaurants to find a team of owners, managers, and staff who each care about every aspect of your dining experience. Matt has grown into an incredible chef, and his creations speak for themselves. . On this occasion I had a guyere and prusciutto stuffed veal chop that was just incredible. For a pasta course we had a torellini that was one of the best pasta dishes we've ever had, bar none. For dessert we had the napoleon and house made biscotti, with a nice cappucino - a great ending! If you miss La Cipollina, you miss a truly fine dining event!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kudos to Matt Higgins forOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 4/3/2014Kudos to Matt Higgins for correcting a wrong. We revisited La Cipollina restaurant on April 3. We were happy to say the meal was delicious. It was served hot and timely. We had attentive service ( thank you Paul). We would definitely go back and bring friends. Thank you .
- A DisappointmentTeryDined on 3/22/2014We have been here before, and we're usually pleased with the service and the food. Saturday night was a very different story. Food service was extremely slow though the management apologized and sent us appetizers and desserts to make up for the kitchens slow preparation of our food. Unfortunately, I found the food to be quite salty. I had the veal scallopini which were tough and like hockey pucks. I will not be returning.
- Great FoodBarbPDined on 3/22/2014The best Oysters Rockafeller I have ever had. Others raved about the wild caught salmon and the Chanterel ravioli. I have been there often and have never been disappointed. The chef just gets better and better.Special Features:
- bad experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/16/2014Food was salty, and served cold. It was 31/2 hours before we left there. Service was lacking. We knew we were in for a less than up to par dinner when bread came out ( after 1/2 of sitting there) ice cold and stale. Pricey menu and totally not worth it. would never go back or recommend anyone else there.
- very niceseaandyDined on 2/27/2014Great tasting food in a charming brick walled dining room. Highly priced menu. BYOB. Romantic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentines DayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014The special holiday menu included a wide variety of options. We opted for the 3 course prixe fix and were pleasantly surprised with our choices. The presentation was beautiful, the quality of ingredients was high, and the taste perfect. We enjoyed a full range of dishes together including our main courses of seafood and filet and were equally impressed across the board. If this is how gracefully they handle a traditionally crowded holiday, I can only imagine what they would do on a normal evening. We look forward to dining at la Cippolina again very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food - great atmoshpereOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2014We have only been to La Cipollina for a charity function so it was our first time dining there. The atmosphere is very nice & although they had a price fixe menu for V-day, the food was fantastic! Service was very good as well. On such a busy night, we did not feel rushed in any way either which I liked very much. Would definitely recommend & look forward to going back.Special Features:
- Amazing like always!AmazingDined on 1/31/2014Great food, great music, amazing service. Andrew really makes you feel like you're at home!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for a leisurely mealFunandreservations30Dined on 1/18/2014The food at the restaurant was delicious but it is definitely a place for you to sit and enjoy your good. Our reservation was at 7:30 and we didn't get out of the restaurant until 11:30. I would recommend this restaurant to friend but be advised it will not be a fast meal. Everything I ate was delicious. If you order from the 65 dollar price fix menu they are very flexible. Mozzarella cheese is made at the restaurant and it was phenomenal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Once again we had a TERRIFICCGDGDined on 12/31/2013Once again we had a TERRIFIC time, our table was ready for us when we arrived and the service was outstanding. I enjoyed the menu and everyone in my party loved their meals. The seating was comfortable, we didn't feel cramped which added to an enjoyable evening. I recommend this restaurant to all my friends. Great job!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Where did it goGrobeVIPDined on 12/27/2013This was a nice restaurant so I'm told. Here's my experience. The entertainer was too loud for a small group of patrons: however, he 2 good. The staffing is slight. Attention to things like bread, water were less than that of diner. Though when they do arrive, they are pleasant and exclusive to their intent ; so don't ask for things. It only confides them. The food was plain and either cold or unevenly cooked. Filet isn't served cool and pork is not send tough. While this is not the worse time, it does get a poor rating because they don't even try to do a good job but they say all the right things. So they are not conceited which is good but it doesn't justify the price for the evening's entertainment..
- One of Freehold's BestwineanddineVIPDined on 12/23/2013I think so. A great Monday night dinner from the gnocchi ( house-made ) with pork shank ragout followed by the roasted chicken breast. There was plenty of food and all very good; 4 to 4 1/2 stars on both the food and the service. Paul, my server, gave me quite a bit of details about the restaurant as well as some very helpful advice about the food. Can't say that one has experienced the best in Freehold until dining, here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An intimate celebrationTeacherDined on 12/13/2013I reserved a table for my graduate students and their spouses and some faculty and their spouses. When we arrived everything was ready, and the guests were warmly greeted. We brought wine and so we enjoyed it until everyone arrived. Our host Mike was great. I had planned for the prix fix menu so he brought it over and explained everything. We ordered, there were no mix ups and the food was excellent. I had gifts and a special dessert for them. The staff was great. They took the dessert when I arrived and plated it beautifully after our meal and served it. We enjoyed the live music and the service. My students were very impressed and felt "treated". It was a nice way to end their academic journey. I will definitely do this again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food great atmospheregourmetchefVIPDined on 11/27/2013when we walked in the room was very inviting. The service met the high expectations that we heard about and all of our dishes from appetizers to entree's were very well prepared and very good. We had not been back to the restaurant in many years but after this last visit we are sure this will be come one of our regulars.Special Features:
- WonderfulLeonardDined on 11/9/2013I couldn't have asked for a better Saturday night restaurant experience. The food was excellent and the staff... all were friendly, attentive and Top Notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely a place to come back toOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/8/2013This was our first time here, and it was wonderful. We had a 6:30 reservation on a Friday night, and it we were only 1 of 2 tables in the restaurant at that time, but it did fill up quite a bit by the time we left at 8:30. The service was great, attentive but not overbearing. The food was fantastic. And they had live music that evening, which we weren't expecting, but ended up being a wonderful touch. I would definitely recommend you give it a try.Special Features:
- Wonderful!AdyleeDined on 11/7/2013Delicious food and great atmosphere! Wonderful service!Special Features:
- Always ConsistantGrandemanDined on 11/2/2013My wife and I have been going to La Cipollina for years. The service is impeccable as is the food. Paul always visits us when we dine and it makes us feel like family. We are often given new menu additions to taste, and we have never been disappointed. This has become our 'Italian Restaurant' that we will always call home.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceJoeMVIPDined on 10/19/2013We had not been to La Cippolina in years and had heard great things recently with the addition of a new chef. We were met by Andrew who showed us to our table. Andrew was engaging and friendly. He immediately made us feel welcome and as if we were regulars. The food was absolutely fantastic. We had previously avoided this place in the past as we felt it had gone down hill. The changes have brought the restaurant not back to its original glory, but to even higher heights. Good job by all the people who were working on Saturday. And a special thank you to Andrew who started our experience and made sure that our experience was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romance in FreeholdYanYanDined on 9/7/2013This restaurant is great for couples and a romantic night. Great service, food was great and not busy at all. Definitely a must go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConsistencyCosmoVIPDined on 9/4/2013It has been many years since my husband and I dined at this restaurant. After all these years, the food, service and ambience has remained outstanding. The waiter was super friendly and his recommendations were right on. We will definitely recommend this restaurant to our friiends and will visit often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly underwhelmedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/24/2013Under seasoned food, underwhelming visit. Broccoli rabe, escarole and sausage lacked flavor. Onion soup was mediocre and didn't taste like gruyere. Salmon and raisin/onion ragout was very good, but eclpsed by the not creamy under-seasoned risotto. Filet was the biggest disappointment. Cooked as ordered, but lacked any flavor and no sear. Additional salt required. Servers were young and lacked experience. The waiter was bewildered when asked for an ice bucket and glasses when I motioned to the bottle. He asked what kind of glasses we would like, "umm, wine glasses". The bottle sat on the table, warming, for ten minutes before this exchange and 5 after. Entrees were served to the wrong person as was the silverware to go with it.
- Wonderful hidden gem.vivicatDined on 7/6/2013Although pricey, the food was spot on and cooked to perfection. This is a hidden gem in Freehold and definitely worth a visit.Special Features:
- Fine DiningfoodfanDined on 6/13/2013It had been several months since we visited. The menu which was delightful to begin with. had been upgraded. We particularly appreciated the variety of prix fixe categories and selections. We visited on a Thursday evening and experienced a quiet enjoyable special occasion dinner for two.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favorite BYOB restaurantMrsRezVIPDined on 5/25/2013One of our favorite BYOB restaurants in the area. Food is always delicious with a menu that changes regularly to keep it interesting. Waiter Paul is awesome as is the rest of the staff. Valet parking is a plus as parking in the area can be difficult.Special Features: