La Cigale French Bistro
1961 W. 4th Ave
Vancouver, BC V6J 1M7Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: CAN$30 and under
La Cigale French Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.lacigalebistro.ca/
- Phone: 6047320004
- Hours of Operation:
tuesday to friday lunch 11.30am - 2.30pm
tuesday to sunday dinner 5.00pm til late
Sat & Sun Brunch 10:30am - 2:00pm
closed on monday
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
- Special Events: Secret Science Cafe 4th Thursday Each Month, a lunch time event.
A word from La Cigale French Bistro
La Cigale French Bistro, serves french cuisine and is located along 4th Avenue, in Vancouver's Kitsilano neighbourhood. Formerly Bistrot Bistro.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
La Cigale French Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
75 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (57)fit for foodies (53)special occasion (30)great for lunch (19)great for brunch (18)romantic (18)notable wine list (11)good for groups (7)hot spot (2)great for outdoor dining (1)late-night find (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- customerDined on 10/18/2014I do recommend La Cigale. Great service, good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ServiceSABCgirlDined on 10/14/2014This small but well designed French Bistro offered good food (not incredible), a decent wine list and excellent, unhurried, knowledgeable service. It was a lovely evening but at over $430 for 5 meals and one bottle of wine I don't think I would come again.Special Features:
- Lovely food; friendly servicefoodnfriendsDined on 10/11/2014This was my second visit in a two weeks. I love the food and the feel of being in a neighborhood restaurant in Paris. Families, couples, friends, all enjoying the food, wine and conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SGranvilleguyDined on 10/5/2014La Cigale offers a limited but enticing menu supplemented with daily special dishes which are often excellent. Likewise, the wine list is short but includes some very pleasant selections to supplement a delicious meal. The prix fixe three-course dinner in the evening is good value for the high quality cuisine and relaxed but pleasant service. My partner and I live in the general area and, after three visits, consider this restaurant a favourite when we want a special treat. Reasonably priced for a French restaurant.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/1/2014It was our second time there and it didn't disappoint. We had the 3 course menu - and we enjoyed them all - it was very busy and our waiter "lost us for a while" - other servers were very attentive. Would go back there again.Special Features:
- Excellent eats and great serviceFoodiesDined on 9/25/2014Wonderful meal at this busy restaurant in Kits. Food and service were outstanding and we will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent and energeticpaulsDined on 9/23/2014An excellent French Bistro. The informal room is attractive; the service friendly, prompt, and accommodating; the menu not long, but just right; the food and its preparation authentically French and very good; the wine list is short, but adequate and appropriate for the place. The noise level is extremely high, and conversations can occur only with shouting: the very energetic ambience may suit some people, but be a real turn off for others.Special Features:
- BlueyDined on 9/19/2014Have had lunch and dinner at La Cigale a few times, and they always provide delicious food, excellent service, it was a Friday night and the restaurant was full to capacity, a bit noisy for me but otherwise everything was perfect! I live on the North Shore but it is definately worth the drive to dine there!Special Features:
- Moule Frites!tomatopotatoDined on 9/2/2014The staff here are extremely warm and friendly. While my friend and I tried to answer with limited (and poorly pronounced) french, they were still encouraging and patient as they shared about the menu features. The daily specials written on a chalkboard, that they bring around from table to table, is a cute touch. This restaurant is a true neighborhood gem and the atmosphere is not pretentious. The French Onion Soup, Onion Tart, Mussels and Fries and Plum Tart were all fresh, authentic and absolutely delicious! The portion sizes are just right. The prices are very reasonable. The service is outstanding! Visit the washroom, too! Very clean! We love this place and will be back again soon!Special Features:
- Dinner & a showdinner42Dined on 8/29/2014We stopped here before the Bard performance. The menu was excellent, very creative. Unfortunately they had nary a bottle of Rhone wine in the house. It was a Friday & we were told they had sold them all the night before. The owner was going to get replacements but.... That said the waitress was superb. She had some samples which she gave us then discounted another bottle of wine that we thoroughly enjoyed. Would dine there again.Special Features:
- Great restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2014Owner Brigitte makes a evil effort to be most welcoming. Food and service excellent!Special Features:
- Lovely French BistrocatwfoodieDined on 8/21/2014This place has a lovely romantic ambience with candlelight, open windows and delicious smells. Our waiter was energetic and attentive. The food was delicious (braised endives, duck confit, and vanilla creme brulee from $32 prix fixe menu- pretty good value!) and the portion sizes were perfect- not too big, but very rich food to be fair. They were accommodating as well as we had to move our reservation to an hour later with not very much notice. The appetizers took a little long to come out, but the restaurant was very busy and we were a table of 5, so pretty understandable. I'll definitely be going back.Special Features:
- best French Restaurant in VancouverOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/21/2014Amazing food! A little crowded, as the restaurant is very popular and very tiny in size. But the food is well worth the wait!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findlauraDined on 8/16/2014We found La Cigale on the internet and were a bit anxious that it would live up to its reputation, but the food was excellent, the wait staff very nice and the atmosphere welcoming. We enjoyed their fresh mushroom tart - the pastry flaky and the mushrooms cooked in a cream sauce with a bit of parsley and parmesan - as well as their green bean salad (with avocado, tomatoes, apples and basil), the moules et frites were wonderful and the seafood vol au vent was excellent. We had a Chablis that perfectly complimented the food. The blueberry clafoutis was also good. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:
- surprisingly goodyummVIPDined on 8/15/2014We were totally smittened with our server. Great food, service and ambience!!! thank you for a perfect evening. will return soon.Special Features:
- Great traditional bistroOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/13/2014Very well prepared, thoughtful bistro food. Outstanding value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love no corkage TuesdayOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/5/2014We had a great time at (or second visit in a month. Wonderful food both times and no corkage night on Tuesday makes it an even better value!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RickDined on 8/5/2014Service was great! They was no Duck Confit that night.. so I had the Steak Frites, was a little over done BUT still quite tasty! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As good as usual.borgergalDined on 8/3/2014Great service. I didn't particularly like the rabbit fricasse, but everything else was great, including the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect, and modestAlexhutchDined on 7/31/2014From the outside, it doesn't seem overly fancy of extravagant, however it is exactly that! A modest French restaurant, with genuine French owners, servers, and chefs, the food is a amazing add you would expect. The staff are amazingly focused, on task, yet not overwhelming and in your face, as many North American staff can be. The food is amazing, and is not overly expensive. Favourite restaurant in the area by far.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CharmingSuzieDined on 7/25/2014Small but comfortable. Good food. Just a great little restaurant with a casual atmosphere and a European feel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Le Cigale C'est bongrubbyDined on 7/23/2014The owner and staff of this local, (for us), Kitsilano bistro are excellent at accepting us into their family. we enjoy the menu, with their blackboard of rotating special dishes on a daily basis. On a summer day having the "garage" type glass doors open provides a feeling of dining al fresco.Special Features:
- Neighbourhood French Food GemJoelDined on 7/20/2014We arrived at 6.30 for dinner and our table was waiting. We were greeted by the owner Brigitte. The service, the food and the evening overall was excellent. My wife had the duck confit and I the salmon and lentils. Both prepared superbly. The salad came in a martini glass - green beans, avocado, tomatoes marinated in a vinaigrette. Wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/12/2014Always great- local spot but would go out of my way to go. Service is good, nice good and a great evening all around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- veronDined on 6/28/2014Good appetizers; main courses are fair (selection & quality).Special Features:
- Five times excellent2criticalVIPDined on 6/25/2014I eat at many restaurants and have thoroughly enjoyed La Cigale five times, both for lunch and dinner, for pleasure and business. If you are not into high-commercial glitz, and quiet, high-quality dining with attention to excellence is your priority, this charming, informal place is for you. The food has always been outstanding, in terms of unique flavours and presentation. The friendly service has been unprecedented and accommodating, with customization for specific tastes or even difficult food restrictions never being a problem. I will be back five more times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 130 reviews are from the La Cigale French Bistro reviews archive.
- Neighborhood gemLeenDined on 6/20/2014One of our favorite neighborhood restaurants. Consistent, fabulous food and great ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousslamDined on 6/20/2014As always La Cigale "delivers" in both food & service. Brigette is always the gracious hostess & never had bad service in all the times I've been there. My very fav entree is the seafood vol-au-vent. A must try winner. Absolutely delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- okOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/13/2014Not bad. But not outstanding either. French onion soup had a great cheesy crust yet the broth could not compare to other French bistros in Vancouver.. Entrees were tasty but can't say they were memorable enough to entice me to return. Good service.
- We had another great lunchontheroadDined on 6/13/2014Thank you Brigitte for another wonderful lunch experience!! We'll be back again and again.Special Features:
- Better French restaurants out thereOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/8/2014I rated the food as "good" since there were some dishes that were good and others that lacked or had an over-bearing taste. For example the tapenade and the tarte dessert were really good. The escargot lacked a bit of taste, while the white sauce for the rabbit entree was too strong. The service was ok, but be prepared to feel like they expect you to order more food or drinks. My baby bump was definitely showing and yet the owner commented on how our table was missing some wine.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/1/2014After enjoying a couple of excellent French wines by the glass we started with the Cigale salad and braised endives and went on to main dishes of boeuf Bourguignon and salmon a la Basquaise. My husband's dessert of rhubarb and strawberry crumble was extremely sweet but my intensely flavoured apricot tart was excellent. Service on a moderately busy Sunday evening was friendly and unpretentious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little bistroLuvfoodVIPDined on 5/29/2014We had been to this restaurant a couple of times and liked it. This time I went with two girlfriends and the service was not up to par. We found that the salmon portion was very tiny for the price but it was good. A bit expensive for what you get.Special Features:
- Very good overallsteveportmoodyVIPDined on 5/24/2014Went for lunch, place was empty so I guess good service was almost guaranteed. It was a Saturday brunch menu but we asked for a selection from their regular lunch menu and it was done. Excellent sauvignon blanc for $35. Food was good, white linen napkins nice, cutlery very ordinary and china a bit of a mis- match. Thought the prices were high for a brunch/lunch menu. $19 for moules and frites. $8 for a dessert. Total bill for 3 with the wine, 3 desserts, taxes and gratuity was $140.I would recommend this to a friend.
- great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/21/2014Had a great time. Food was Excellent. Highly recommend to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findReviewerVIPDined on 4/17/2014First time here. Busy but service was still excellent. Fair enough prices. Food quality excellent - some nice authentically French choices. Good choice of wines as well by glass or carafe. A little taste of Paris without the attitude.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bistro diningBlueyDined on 4/2/2014I have eaten at La Cigale for lunch and this was my first time for dinner, both meals were excellent, the prix fixe is a very good deal and good value for money. It did get a little noisy but that was because the restaurant was full when we left. Overall I great dining experience and will certainly go back again!Special Features:
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/29/2014Four of us for dinner and everything ordered had positive reviews. I can absolutely recommend the halibut! A great comfort food menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extremely DisappointedUnimpressedGuestDined on 3/29/2014Had the French Onion soup which was very good. My duck confit however was terrible. The duck, potatoes and onions were far too overcooked as evidenced by my charred potatoes and onions. By far the worst duck confit I've ever had. Then, our incredibly rude waiter harassed us to order desert. I mean HARASSSED. He kept telling us that we didn't spend enough and that we shouldn't be so cheap. He went so far as to get another waiter to try and convince us. When that didn't work, he got the OWNER to try and tempt us. It was absolutely ridiculous and I was incensed. I'm never going back here ever again and if you do go, make sure you "spend enough money" there.
- What a lovely lunch that was!WealthCopDined on 3/28/2014It's not often that I find more than one entree of interest on a restaurant menu, but at La Cigale, we were spoiled for choices between the regular lunch menu and the specials. But who can resist duck confit, served with a side salad and frites? And it was perfect. Even though the restaurant was very busy, service was prompt and attentive. Will be back!Special Features: