La Chaya Bistro
4537 Nicollet Ave South
Minneapolis, MN 55419Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
La Chaya Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lachaya.com/
- Phone: 6128272254
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday thru Friday 5-10pm & Saturday 5-10 pm
Lunch: Monday thru Friday 11am-5pm
Brunch: Sunday 9am-3pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Caribbean, Mediterranean, Mexican
- Executive Chef: Tony Panelli
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please contact the restaurant at 612.827.2254 or see our website www.lachaya.com for more information.
- Private Party Facilities: La Chaya can host your next private party!
- Private Party Contact: Stephen Schweckendieck General Manager 6128272254
A word from La Chaya Bistro
We specialize in food featuring flavors from the Caribbean, Mediterranean and Mexico. We use the freshest organic and local ingredients available to offer healthy, delicious food made from scratch. Join us for simple, yet elegant food in a Minneapolis neighborhood bistro! We have a fantastic selection of wines and beers from all over the world! Happy hour Monday - Friday from 3 p.m. until 6 p.m. Brunch on Sunday from 9 a.m. until 3 p.m.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
La Chaya Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
- Local eateryDonnaDined on 12/12/2013Small and intimate with excellent service and outstanding food.Special Features:
- Fabulous food!MarimarDined on 12/7/2013The best reason to try this place and come back is their excellent cuisine! I recently visited Seattle and the crab cakes at La Chaya were better than those on the West Coast! The scallops I ate were buttery and flavorful, though not rubbery. We had this wonderful beet carpaccio with gorganzola and the wine selection was really great. It's the best meal I've had in the Twin Cities in a while! I went for a romantic dinner but the tight spaces and open room structure didn't feel quite so romantic, however, it was very cozy on a very chilly night. Not sure they have room to accommodate large groups, at least inside, but a group of four works well. Great place to take out of town guests!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night, great foodCharliebDined on 12/6/2013We were listening to a friend's band play down the street and popped over to LaChaya afterward, so we got there at 8. Got right in, had a table for 4. Got some appies, and waited for a bit in case our band friend and his wife and daughter popped over. They did,we were met with a smile and they switched up the tables. The mahi mahi was awesome, we all got a cup of tomatillo chicken soup (awesome), and everyone loved their food. my husband and I shared the spicy risotto and they even put chicken on mine, and shrimp on his half. They were super accommodating and joked with us and we all had a wonderful night. I used to live down the street from there and had only been once when they first opened, and it was great then, too. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best date night dinning in Mpls!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 12/3/2013Excellent food, top-notch service, and amazing ambience! La Chaya is a S. Mpls neighborhood gem, and definitely our favorite dinning location in the Twin Cities!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!HungrybobVIPDined on 11/23/2013We loved the relaxed atmosphere and decor. Service OK but not as attentive as expected for a place at this price point. VERY spicy risotto overpowered the scallops, otherwise food was excellent and well balanced.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedhackensackDined on 11/16/2013We have been to La Chaya 5 times in the last 3 years. We had the "Char" special on 11/16 and found that the quality for the price is not good. Check was around $90. Dined at "Good Earth" on 11/17 and had much better food for $30 total check.Special Features:
- A terrific Friday evening dinnerFoodwandererDined on 11/8/2013Four of us had a great time on Friday evening. The menu was intriguing and we had a hard time choosing among items so we agreed to try different things and share. No one was disappointed! We who hadn't been there for a while were kicking ourselves for that omission and our friends - who had never been - were delighted to find a new restaurant treasure. We are all looking forward to our next visit. Kudos to the La Chaya team.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food at La ChayaOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/8/2013Reservation was on time - no waiting. Food was very good - the Risotto was too spicy for me and seemed a little over cooked - but the halibut and scallops were great. We weren't rushed - which I really appreciated. The server was friendly and knowledgable - but perhaps served too many tables. We went quite a while before our food was brought out. I'd definitely recommend eating there and will try it again soon. (especially for the Halibut!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wish we'd tried it earlierAmanduhbDined on 11/8/2013I've driven past this restaurant many times but never been in, so when we wanted something different, we decided it was time to try this one out. I wish we'd gone there before now because we both really enjoyed it. The interior felt warm and comfortable, the service was good, the food was all very tasty and well-made (especially the hominy soup - I forget the dish's name but if they have it when you're there, GET IT). Like many people nowadays, we're not eating out as much, but the next time we decide to go out, La Chaya will be at the top of our list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodSeim1978VIPDined on 11/7/2013Oddly, we were the only ones in the restaurant for a Thursday night. I don't get that. It's not the cheapest place, but the food was wonderful. Ambiance was great too. Really enjoyed it and definitely recommend if you don't mind spending a bitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always delightful...ceejVIPDined on 11/1/2013We have dined at La Chaya a few times and have always found the food and service top notch. We try to go there in the warmer months since their patio is so wonderful, especially if you can be seated near the fountain. But this time, there was a chill in the air so dining indoors was appropriate. Our server was informative and helpful, our dinners were delicious...all in all it was another delightful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our experienceRitaDined on 10/22/2013Very nice, food was great. Very quiet at first, got pretty loud very last part of our dinner due to large group, we were glad we came early, but all in all a great evening and great service!Special Features:
- AWESOME!Rebeccajc2Dined on 10/8/2013We went here on my birthday based on the excellent on-line reviews and we were not disappointed! The tortilla soup had a bright flavor with a bit of kick, the pepita encrusted halibut was amazing, the risotto flavorful, and the dulce de leche cake dreamy! It's a small place, so make reservations - YOU SHOULD GO. NOW.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed our meal!SweetmanVIPDined on 9/27/2013It's been a couple of weeks since we dined at La Chaya Bistro for the first time. I can't even remember what we ordered. I'll just say that we really enjoyed our meal and will definitely return!Special Features:
- Always AmazingFoodieVIPDined on 9/20/2013The calamari is the BEST here. I love all the seafood, very flavorful. Service is always good and they had live music this time, very fun! I love the flavor, it is great to have food not covered in butter.Special Features:
- A great spotAfoodieDined on 9/17/2013La Chaya's is a perfect choice for almost any type gathering. The food is well thought out, expertly and delicately prepared, and the service is friendly and very accomodating. The only downside to this neighborhood bistro is the size of the parking lot. Street parking is available but sometimes a bit of a walk.Special Features:
- La Yummy at La ChayamorninggloryDined on 9/14/2013I love the food and the wine at La Chaya. This most recent visit I dined on the light side. The Mexican Caprese-style salad was beautifully presented, fresh and delicious; the guacamole was very fresh and delicious, as well. My preference would be lighter chips- less dense, but they were fine. The service was excellent and the ambiance and decor is always enjoyable- tastefully refined, yet relaxed. Thank you for another wonderful dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was wonderful,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/14/2013Everything was wonderful, the food, the wait staff and we had a wonderful night out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Caribbean - Hispano fusetheshofferDined on 9/6/2013Very rich and unique food. Ask the waiter's first recommendations and stick with it. A little pricy, but a date could consist of one appetizer and one main course and it would be plenty. Waiter was enthusiastic and correctly described the comedown dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excessively spiceyEmporioVIPDined on 8/26/2013Menu does not hint at how excessively spicey many of the dishes are. Be certain to inquire if the spice factor is a concern.I would recommend this to a friend.
- La Chaya continues to delightjandj67VIPDined on 8/21/2013La Chaya continues to delight us. A new chef, from Puerto Rico, has brought new flavors to the menu. The tostones appetizer (mashed and fried plantains) is a great starter. Sea bass, seafood paella, beef short ribs, and red bean cassoulet all have subtle flavors of both the Mediterranean and Caribbean. The wine list is affordable, especially during happy hour with $8 off per bottle. It has its own parking lot. This is one of the best neighborhood restaurants in the Twin Cities.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's always impressive whenStreganonaVIPDined on 8/18/2013It's always impressive when the waiter knows the preparation of the dressing to the extent that they can recite it as a recipe, upon request, without notes and with appreciation of the chef's quest for the final taste experience. Especially when that recipe has more than 11 ingredients and the stages of it's design are critical. This remains a gem in South Minneapolis for those that appreciate the fusion of Mexican and European cuisine.Special Features:
- HIDDEN GEMOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/17/2013If you like Cafe Ena - then you will rave about La Chaya. Fantastic food, service and ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On of my favorite locationsscspDined on 8/9/2013On of my favorite locations used to be El Meson and the food here was just as good.Special Features:
- Surprisingly QuietgfveggieDined on 8/4/2013I've been wanting to try this place for awhile. I'm not sure why it was so quiet. The food was good, portions were moderate - like I was definitely not "full" afterwards, but satisfied. A little pricier than a lot of other nearby places & with smaller portions maybe it does not attract lots of people. However, the ingredients are all very high quality & the food presentation was also very good. The coffee was good & service was great. I will say our food didn't arrive immediately, but when I am dining out, I like that - then I do not feel so rushed & can enjoy the conversation & the atmosphere. I loved the interior of this place & the patio dining looked nice too. I guess the only thing that was missing from the ambiance was more people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently a great experienceceejVIPDined on 7/25/2013Met a friend for lunch at LaChaya. The weather was a little iffy, but we still opted to sit on the patio next to the fountain...so relaxing. Our server was attentive and informative but not intrusive. My friend had the fish tacos which she enjoyed. I had a bowl of gazpacho, which was very spicy but delicious. We shared an order of tostones. The food at this restaurant is creative, fresh and delicious and the atmosphere, especially on the patio is delightful. Always a great experience!Special Features:
- Always a great experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/20/2013Four of us went to dinner for my sister's birthday. Husband had the paella which was pretty good but not as good as it was at the now closed El Mesan (boo hoo!). At $30 for a single dish, kinda expensive but we love paella. I had the scallops which were excellent. The portion included 4 large very sweet, tender scallops with jasmin rice and some mango (I think) sauce. My sister had the chicken pasta which was nice and B-I-L had the special skewers with steak and shrimp. All very good. Apps with plantains and guac were good but could use more guac. They brought out a key lime dessert for the birthday which was a nice touch. I have had many excellent lunches and dinners here and I highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Great Food, Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/19/2013We had a great evening. Food was excellent from the appetizer through dessert. Service was attentive, but not over bearing which was perfect. Very knowledgeable staff, with food/wine pairing suggestions that were on the mark.Special Features:
- Lovely food and atmosphereMstasiaVIPDined on 7/18/2013This is a wonderful spot. The food is amazing. Everything is so beautiful on your plate and in the restaurant. The waiter was great. We will be back!Special Features:
- Everytime I visit this restaurant,OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/13/2013Everytime I visit this restaurant, the experience has been wonderful. The food is fresh and delicious. The menu changes daily with an assortment of dishes to please everyone. The presentation is spectacular. And, the wait staff is very friendly. I recently took a party of 5 to the restaurant on Saturday evening and we were able to be seated immediately. I wish we had a restuarant like this in the western suburbs!Special Features:
- Unique dishes, with latinOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/12/2013Unique dishes, with latin flair, exceptionally well executed. Delicious, and a beautiful patio as well. Friendly servers that are thoughtful and professional. Very much enjoyed it.Special Features:
- The food was very well preparedOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/12/2013The food was very well prepared and the wait staff very attentive. A true neighborhood gem. Definetly plan to go back mid week to try some of their Mon-Thur dinner specials.Special Features:
- What a find!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/6/2013We just loved it! I could hardly get in the door as I was admiring the beautiful landscaping outside! It is a very pretty restaurant with great food. We will go again and again and again....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice evening on patio; greatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/3/2013nice evening on patio; great service; not crowded; offered us half price bottle of wine; comfortable place with great scallopsSpecial Features:
- Fantastic fund!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/29/2013They have a chef from Trinidad and the four dishes that our table had were so good and different than anything we have had in Minnesota. Fresh and beautifully prepared food. The service was good, and the outside patio is pleasant despite being close to Nicollet. I would highly recommend this neighborhood gem! I hear they have a nice Sunday brunch too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- La Chaya is always a good experiencTomSVIPDined on 6/15/2013We have dined at La Chaya several times and never had anything but great food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerFirstDined on 6/14/2013Great for a big group w reservation. Food is delish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/13/2013We had a great meal- and really enjoyed the beautiful space and attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodCjonesVIPDined on 6/11/2013The food here is always creative and well prepared. We enjoy our dinners here each time we visit Mpls.Special Features:
- Excellent seafood and fishSteveofoto1VIPDined on 6/7/2013Salmon and scallops were outstanding. Pork special with yucca was super. Short ribs were just fair. Nice atmosphere. A little on the loud side. We'll go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.