2813 M Street, N.W.
Washington, DC 20007Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lachaumieredc.com/
- Phone: 2023381784
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am – 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday – Saturday: 5:30pm –10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Patrick Orange
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Two private rooms: Terrace/front room seats up to 14 guests, and upstairs/2nd floor seats up to 40 guests. Customized menus available upon request.
- Private Party Contact: Martin Lumet 2023381784
A word from La Chaumiere
La Chaumiere is as close as it gets to dining in a French country inn. Now entering its 37th year, La Chaumiere features traditional dishes like escargots en coquille, boudin blanc, quenelles of pike, cassoulet and Grand Marnier souffle. Chef Patrick's specials reflect a modern approach to seasonal produce, seafood and game with favorites like baked oysters, Dover sole and rabbit. La Chaumiere has won the "100 Best Restaurants" award 29 times since 1978!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
La Chaumiere - Best Restaurants in Georgetown ›
La Chaumiere reviews from OpenTable diners
192 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (124)romantic (121)fit for foodies (97)neighborhood gem (90)notable wine list (73)great for lunch (31)good for groups (15)great for brunch (11)late-night find (7)hot spot (5)kid-friendly (4)great for outdoor dining (3)scenic view (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Horrible servicePJA1Dined on 8/23/2014On a positive note the food and ambiance were excellent. However the service was amongst the worst I have experienced in memory. After delivering our appetizer in a timely manner, our entrees were provided with some delay. Unfortunately that was the last time we we're provided with any service the remainder of the evening. No water refills whatsoever with empty glasses, and then sitting for approximately 45 minutes with our finished entree plates and no sign of our waiter. We finally got his attention and requested the check, only to have him disappear for another 10 minutes. We then approached the host to provide our check, or we may still be in the restaurant. The restaurant manager was as much to blame as the waiter given the issues.Special Features:
- Cannot give feedbackOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014We attended a performance at Blues Alley from 8 PM to 9:30 but the restaurant was closed right at 9:30 and we cannot have dinner.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/20/2014La Chaumiere is one of our family favorites for special occasions. Having been away for a while, my recent visit there last week reminded me of two things: first, why it is one of our favorites, and second, not to stay away so long again. Dinner was masterful, service flawless, and all in all an impeccable evening.Special Features:
- French ambianceyoyoVIPDined on 8/16/2014One of the few real French atmosphere and cuisine. Love the souffle !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bartender WAY off his markOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2014stick with wine or simply drinks. the bartender's make of a manhatten and old fashioned was way off!Special Features:
- MimiDined on 8/16/2014This gem has been great ever since the first time I ate there in 1979.Special Features:
- Romantic dinner for twoBeatriceDined on 8/16/2014We hadn't been at la Chaumière in a long time: we should visit more often! Dinner was excellent, (very traditional French: ah, those sauces...), portions not too big (so we each could have a three-course dinner without feeling stuffed), service attentive, décor a bit kitsch. My only issue was that the tables were a little crowded and it was hard not to overhear loud talkers... We want to go back for their couscous night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Secluded table?mimoDined on 8/16/2014Maybe it was because it was restaurant week on a Saturday night, but all we could get was a 6 pm reservation for 2, rather than 7 pm. We were seated right next to the waiters' station by the fireplace. We had asked for a secluded table worthy of celebrating an anniversary. A French woman I know told us this was the only place for excellent French food. The food was excellent but we were very rushed by the waiter, finished and presented the check and out of there by 7 pm. Not exactly a French dining experience which is more leisurely. I don't know if I will return.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/16/2014Was there during restaurant week and would love to return on a normal evening but nonetheless our meal was delicious and the service was very good. The restaurant is charming. We did find our table to be lacking some privacy as many of the smaller tables are against the wall and very close together. But regardless, we would return and recommend. The veal is superb.....very tender and beautifully prepared.Special Features:
- InmanEaterDined on 8/16/2014We enjoyed our dinner here overall but didn't feel that it beat out our current favorite date-night restaurant in DC. There were some really great parts of the meal - the duck was cooked well and the salmon in puff pastry was very tasty. Also, you can't beat the souffle. However, the sides were very bland (steamed veggies and rice). And, our table was very close to the ones next to us. So much so, that you can't avoid chatting with your neighbors to avoid the awkwardness. It was good, but I don't know if we will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- martydlmartydlDined on 8/15/2014Very nice selection for restaurant week. The food and service were excellent. A nice friendly neighborhood restaurant and a good choice in Georgetown.Special Features:
- Great Food, Good ServiceSeaCrisVIPDined on 8/15/2014I have been dining at La Chaumiere for 30 years. Always a great meal. We went for restaurant week. The portions were smaller, of course, but still delicious. The service was a bit off. The hostess barely said hello. Our waiter was appalling slow and inattentive, but this is the first time I have had less than stellar service. Another waiter noticed our impatience and quickly took our order in a pleasant and efficient manner. I will continue to dine here and write this off as one night of less than great service. I would still recommend La Chaumiere to anyone and everyone.Special Features:
- Great FoodUptonDined on 8/15/2014We had lunch here, our first time at this restaurant, food was very good and so was the service, well definitely go back and try dinner!Special Features:
- Always ExcellentnickVIPDined on 8/14/2014We have eaten at La Chaumiere often and it is always an enjoyable evening with consistently excellent service and food.Special Features:
- Really great main coursesAppppplepieDined on 8/13/2014Every main course is super amazing. Pastry salmon will be strongly recommended. And for dessert, puff with vanilla ice-cream is perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CharmingsquasherDined on 8/13/2014This place is still wonderful after so many years. Food service ambiance terrific. Smiles, helpful just so comfortable. Portions are not overwhelming but never skimpy. Will always continue to go there when I feel jaded and need a reminder that lovely spots still exist in fast modernizing loud DC.Special Features:
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/13/2014Wonderful dinner, great food, service and ambience. We'll be back!Special Features:
- Not badfoodieVIPDined on 8/12/2014I visited La Chaumiere for restaurant week. The food was good and the atmosphere was really nice. However, the seating was not the best because everyone was packed so close together which really took away from having a romantic dinner for two. On a positive note, the restaurant week menu was really good. It was our first time so it would have been nice to have received more interaction from our waiter. All in all, a nice experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/12/2014We love le chaumiere but the noise level was very very highI would recommend this to a friend.
- Had high hopeslovestodineDined on 8/12/2014Having lived in France, I had high hopes . . . The food was relatively good, but not memorable. Also, I felt extremely rushed as my plate was almost removed before I finished eating. I understand that Restaurant Week can be quite busy, but guests are still coming who will likely be back during a regular week if the experience is positive.
- Fine French food in GeorgetownMyReviewVIPDined on 8/12/2014... hard to beat, especially during Restaurant Week.Special Features:
- Great except for appetizersAngeleyesDined on 8/12/2014The restaurant was wonderful. Coming in from the rain everyone was warm and inviting.. The waitress was very nice but somewhat overworked due to it being restaurant week and crowded. The baked mussels were overdone. However the trout was wonderful as was the Peach Melba.Special Features:
- Fabulous French DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014We always try to have a meal at La Chaumiere when we are visiting DC. It never fails to impress. We celebrated an anniversary and birthday this past visit. The Cucumber soup, Dover Sole, Steak au Poivre, Chocolate Soufflé, Tarte aux Pommes, red wine, service and ambiance were all stellar. We are looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- Very professionalChrisphilDined on 8/8/2014As one who does not afford the chance to eat out often, I wanted to pick an anniversary spot carefully. Was very happy with the choice. Escargot and Grand Marnier-flavored soufflé were each amazing (better than the chocolate soufflé). Asked for guidance in choosing a wine and the waiter picked a great one for me. Very enjoyable experience with very polite and accommodating staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A traditional French ambienceGourmetteDined on 8/8/2014We found out about La Chaumiere only a few months ago, unfortunately, a place with genuine French traditional cuisine. The ambience is that of an auberge de campagne, with jovial and competent staff who will serve you a Kyr Royal with the right color, right fizz champagne and no lemon twist. Superb baguette. The traditional dishes, sole meunière, divinely prepared calf's liver, tasty salmon en croute, tender steak-frites, tripes like my French mother used to prepare, and many a dish with flavors and origins that take you to France. The desserts are redoubtable, particularly the soufflés. The owner will come to your table to make sure that you are/were satisfied with your choices, the service and the ambience. Very homey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CaptinbobDined on 8/5/2014Best French Restaurant and I just returned from France... It rivals the best in Paris... WOULD RECOMMEND HIGHLY !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1st Anniversary Meal to RememberBexLovesFoodDined on 8/2/2014Celebrating our 1st wedding anniversary we wanted something that we wouldn't normally treat ourselves too. The atmosphere wasn't romantic for an anniv. per say, but it was comfortable, intimate & we were definitely able to talk to each other without feeling like having to share space w/the next table. The food was wonderful, flavorful and fresh! To start we had the soup du jour, cucumber soup & it was pretty special! We also had the escargot, which was traditional w/butter & herbs & was great. For the main dishes, we had the rabbit, & rack of lamb (ROL) and both were amazing! I'm not one for brown sauces but loved it on the ROL! The presentation was beautiful for both! You MUST save room for the apple tart & souffle, both worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb French FoodLarryVIPDined on 8/2/2014All of our food was expertly prepared. The baked mussels were outstanding, so was the soft shell crab and the venison and the soufflé.Special Features:
- Excellent.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014Great food. GREAT wine list -- a 2010 Sainte-Estephe for $74? How can you complain? The calve's liver is wonderful! Crowded room, but not stuffy. New York noisy. NO music, which is great. The owner/chef is there carefully watching everything, so all is well in the world...Special Features:
- LesDCVIPDined on 7/30/2014My wife and I first met at La Chaumiere 35 years ago (we were seated next to one another at a dinner hosted by a mutual friend). We later forged our own friendship, followed by a romance and eventually marriage. Suffice it to say, therefore, it holds a special place in our hearts; we celebrate almost every anniversary (31 so far), and many birthdays (number not revealed!), there. And we do so not just because of sentimental reasons, but because it is simply one of the best restaurants in town. The food is excellent, the service always attentive and pleasant, and the ambience charming and comfortable (although situated at the eastern edge of Georgetown, one feels is if in a small French cafe). We recommend it highly.Special Features:
- Great Food, but Crowded AtmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014The only reason I cannot give a full 5 stars was due to the crowded room. My wife and I decided to spend our 1 year anniversary at La Chaumiere, and the reviews online made us very excited to try it. However, we were seated between two other tables (a 2-top and a 4-top) that were within 6-10 inches of our table. I could have touched the food on their plates without fully extending my elbow; it made the entire experience less romantic and enjoyable. It is partly my fault for not requesting a secluded table, because there were 3-4 tables that were sort of by themselves. I would recommend the restaurant, and I would definitely go back! Just remember to ask for special accommodations if you are looking for a quiet, romantic, atmosphere.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerRobertDined on 7/25/2014We enjoyed celebrating our wedding anniversary at La Chaumiere. The food was excellent, the service was exceptional, and the atmosphere was perfect for a special event dinner. We had our first dinner date at La Chaumiere 37 years ago and it was important that everything about this special dinner should go well. It did and we will be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a favorite!JS3rdDined on 7/25/2014I've been a regular since the mid 1970s--for almost 40 years! La Chaumiere has consistently exceeded my expectations with all types of crowds. Food is superb and the service is excellent. I'll be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- greatauntDined on 7/23/2014We recently were in Marseilles and Provence. La Chaumiere can not compare to the restaurants there.
- nice, not outstanding foodulysseDined on 7/23/2014My wife and I decided to try the restaurant again for our anniversary (we came three years ago). The service was good and the restaurant quiet. We ordered the roasted mussels and the daily catch as main course. The mussels were obviously reheated (!) and the fish (swordfish that day) although fresh and cooked as required (rose à l'arête) - was not properly dressed: the sauce lacked this little bit of something that makes a difference. The duck foie gras as a starter was good. For the desert, the warm apple tart was excellent, but unfortunately, the choux of the profiteroles were not freshly baked.Special Features:
- Why we love the classicsKateInDCVIPDined on 7/22/2014Yes -- pre-order the apple tart. This simple looking, fine pastry confection is worth planning ahead for. Drizzled with caramel and topped with just the right size little ball of ice cream it is the perfect ending to a lovely meal. La Chaumiere continues to be a reliable favorite for us with classic preparations of some of our favorite French dishes and a cozy atmosphere.Special Features:
- La Chaumierej8926Dined on 7/22/2014We enjoyed our dinner at La Chaumiere that offers classic French cuisine that is not often found in today's restaurants. The pike quenelle appetizer and veal sweetbreads were a special treat. The chocolate souffle was tasty but a little drier than it should be.Special Features:
- Memorable French dinnerMomandteenDined on 7/19/2014Charming and authentic French atmosphere in Georgetown. The service was impeccable and warm. The mussels were delicious as well as the profiteroles. They accommodated a specific menu request easily and with lots of options. Ask for the prices of specials - one fish special we ordered was double the price of the fish on the regular menu! Portions were generous and beautifully plated.Special Features:
- Always goodLocalFoodieDined on 7/18/2014Classic French. Don't really need to say more. This time our server forgot one app and one port but were not charged for either. We ordered a lot of items so we could try lots of the things you simply cannot get elsewhere. Great service otherwise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceHatchetJackDined on 7/11/2014Our server really enhanced the experience with his knowledge, patience and suggestions, including sharing an appetizer and dessert. Although the room can be loud we had no difficulty enjoying our meal and conversation. Of you enjoy French cuisine, you won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.