La Cenita Steak
409 West 14th Street
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
La Cenita Steak
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.emmgrp.com/restaurants/la-cenita-steak/
- Phone: 6462893930x
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steakhouse, Mexican, Latin / Spanish
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: A full-service event space, La Cenita offers a variety of settings to accommodate groups of 2 to 240 for seated dinners, as well as the ability to host cocktail style events, entertaining anywhere from 15 to 550 guests in private and semi-private spaces throughout the venue.
- Private Party Contact: Events at EMM GROUP 8887684908
- Special Events: For event inquiries please call 646-289-3930 or visit our website at http://emmgrp.com/restaurants/la-cenita/book-an-event/
A word from La Cenita Steak
Executive Chef Chris Leahy leads La Cenita Steak, a Latin-influenced Steakhouse featuring an array of specialty small plates and an extensive selection of steaks and chops. Combining seasonal produce and locally sourced, dry-aged beef La Cenita’s menu embraces pan-Latin spices and cross-cultural classics, stepping outside the lines of both traditional Latin and standard Steakhouse cuisines to create a complete modern dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
La Cenita Steak reviews from OpenTable diners
- Great experienceMichael527Dined on 5/24/2014took my boyfriend here for his birthday. The service was excellent, friendly as well, even sent us a free round of shots. The food was delicious; the shrimp and grits were a yummy spicy delight and the raised pork... Fell off the bone. Will definitely come back for my birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will be backGirlsNightOutDined on 5/22/2014I was really surprised to see the reviews stating bad service. Our experience was great! From a warm hostess, friendly and helpful waiter to the manager stopping by to see how everything was and offering a recommendation. The portions are not large but the food was excellent and the drinks even better!Special Features:
- Meatpacking disappointmentFoodieVIPDined on 5/21/2014When we got seated at 7pm, the restaurant was almost empty. It still took about 10min until our server finally came by. At the end of the meal, we had to defend our dessert at least 5 times so they wouldn't rip our unfinished plate away from us. The music is way too loud to make it a classy restaurant. The couple next to us didn't even attempt to have a conversation. My friend's margarita was good, but my drink mainly consisted of ice.
- What a surprise....CraigDined on 5/20/2014We went for a walk on a Tuesday night looking to grab dinner and stumbled on La Cenita and decided to give it a try.....and we were glad we did. Nothing is unusual on the menu except the way they combine flavors. The Spare Ribs is a must with a nice kick of heat at the end. It's a nice casual environment suitable for grabbing a drink after work or for a large group. We are planning to go again, but this time with a few friends. Music is playing so this is not the place for a quiet dinner....Special Features:
- Not worth the price tagFoodloverVIPDined on 5/10/2014The food was good. Tuna tartare tacos were tasty. $12 for a small bowl of guacomole. Service was terrible. Food was taken off the table twice while we were still eating it. Busboys hovered ready to clear and wait staff was barely visible. Very loud but very cool looking place.Special Features:
- Will be backBigKorVIPDined on 5/9/2014This use to be my favorite steak house, Abe and Arthurs..and I must admit the food is just as good! From the apps to dessert...just amazing!Special Features:
- Great AtmosphereCottonMouthVIPDined on 5/8/2014This restaurant will be come/has become a hot spot definitely a great place to relax and unwind with friends or associates. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- AWESOME!AwesomeDined on 5/3/2014One of the best night time dining experiences I have ever had in NYC. So fun! Awesome service & extremely friendly staff - highly recommend!Special Features:
- Wonderful dinner, but a little darkOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/3/2014This was a group dinner for friends that had taken a trip to NYC for the weekend. It was a first time to the restaurant for the entire group. The restaurant is in a nice location, well decorated and appears to have plenty of room for guest. When we were first sat (on the second floor), it was very dark. To the point of using our flashlights on our cell phones to see the menu, each other and our server. Management eventually turned up the lighting, but not until more tables were sat. Our server guided us to pick our fantastic meal - Tomahawk Rib Eye for two, Filet, roasted corn, mac & cheese and brussel sprouts. All parts of our meal were well prepared and the desserts are just as good. I would recommend this to friends & associates.I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingthedoncartaDined on 4/16/2014Love this place. Went there again within a 2 week period. Had to go back for the side of mac and cheese and corn. The food and wine is deeee-lish!!! Desert is even better...s'mores empanada is a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- take steak out of the name!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/12/2014The best Guac I ever had but the food ends there. When the only person at the table who enjoyed her steak had a skirt steak you are in trouble. The meat was tough. The other aps were okay but a disappointment following such good guac. The service, however was good. The vibe in the room is good, as well as the music. I would simply only go back for drinks and guac. The restaurant has potential. Please work on your menu. If Steak is in your name then the steaks need to be top quality!!Special Features:
- Accommodating facilityluv2dineDined on 4/12/2014Staff was very accommodating for our party, when a few members were a little delayed. Bar gave a great selection while waiting for the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceTJH1229Dined on 4/8/2014Many thanks to Billy, Walter and Roxy for contributing to a wonderful dinner. Delicious food, exceptional service. Will return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than average MexicanAndiulmerDined on 4/5/2014Visiting from out if town and prebooked restaurant online. Waiter was amazing and friendly. They were extremely attentive to allergies. The Queso dip was unreal and the S'mores Empanada was to die for. Highly suggest this place for upscale casual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great birthday dinnerfoodie11VIPDined on 4/2/2014I celebrated my birthday with a group of friends here. We all had an amazing time and the food was delicious, we even got a complimentary dessert because of my birthday. (The guacamole is great!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!BarbaraDined on 3/28/2014Met up with my college girlfriends at La Cenita for dinner and we had the greatest time. Love the energy level, music and delicious food! Would definitely recommend!Special Features:
- Great food, terrible wait!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/22/2014Loved every bite. The guacamole was some of the best in the city. The mac and cheese was phenomenal. However, it was my best friend's birthday and I made a reservation for 9:30pm. We didn't end up getting seated till 10:15pm. That's 45 minutes of waiting even though we had a reservation! We asked the waiter if he could comp something for our 45 minute wait and he said "yes", but when we received the check nothing was removed. I would like to go back but am hesitant for fear of making a reservation and not sitting for another hour. I wouldn't even be writing this if one item was comped for our long wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced and UndertrainedChelseaLocalVIPDined on 3/21/2014The food is overpriced. Not even Bridge/Tunnel meatpacking gawkers will pay $89 for butter-poached lobster. They may well go for the $38 pork chop (which in our case had a heavy slice of fat and a generous chunk of gristle. Nine bucks for a double espresso is obscene, particularly when it comes in a single-shot cup ("it was all the bartender said he could fit in the cup"); the second single-shot cup arrived after 10 minutes and was tepid. The server might well have been on her first day on the job; although she was certainly trying, she misidentified Romesco sauce, wondered if we wanted "cream" with the espresso and (as described) was baffled by the concept of prompt after-dinner coffee service. Walk to Empellon Tacqueria instead.
- DisappointingKumailVIPDined on 3/14/2014Food was barely mediocre, service left much to be desired, prices are obnoxious.
- Great weekend dinner spot!TeeGeeDined on 3/8/2014We went to La Cenita with friends we had visiting! Everything from the service, to the drinks to the food was absolutely great! The bar scene was buzzing and seemed like the place to be on a Saturday night! The food was incredible, everything we ordered was amazing, no one left disappointed.Special Features:
- Great foodRichieDined on 3/8/2014This place was really good. The inside is very nice. Nice for either a date or crowd of friends. The guacamole was our starter. Definitely recommended. Then we moved on to small plates with the langosta tacos being the highlight. For entree the duck chimichanga was delicious. It was a nice variation on a Mexican Classic. Desert was also good with the hazelnut flan. Cocktails were also excellent. Definitely check this place out. I'll be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointingIreneDined on 3/6/2014We were looking forward to dining back at this restaurant. Boy were we disappointed! They shortened the menu, the food was bland, the portions were small, the service was poor and the kitchen was slow ( even though the restaurant was half full).The waiter put the menu in front of my husband ahead of me, forgot to order one of our dishes and was rarely around. She did apologize profusely for all. The bus boys changed our forks and plates frequently, even when the kitchen hadn't brought out any dishes. Staff really needs re- training. What a waste.
- Regular margaritas were saltyOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/6/2014Regular margaritas were salty but other cocktails were outstanding. Food was good quality and delicious. Excellent restaurant week experience!
- Loved it!BarbaraDined on 3/5/2014The lobster tacos and branzino were really delicious! Such a fun, lively place...Service was spot on!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week 2014MattVIPDined on 3/4/2014I thoroughly enjoyed my experience here. The cocktails were spot on and the services were the perfect size. Although everyone in my party got their own entrees, I could completely see them in a sharing/tapas style as well. We went for the restaurant week menu which was great and had a wide variety of food options. I had the skirt steak which was perfectly cooked and just the right size for one person who is relatively hungry. My one issue was, we were originally served guacamole and chips and not advised that it was NOT included in the menu for restaurant week. It was only because I brought that the salsa was the chip option included with restaurant week that we were not charged. Be sure to check what's included in the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome foodmderoDined on 2/28/2014Went for restaurant week. All the food was incredible. Drinks were delicious. Loved all the different salsas. Definitely want to go again!Special Features:
- Restaurant WeekMontanaVIPDined on 2/28/2014Had doubts regarding their restaurant week menu- it didn't seem representative of their regular menu which sounded delicious and the options were limited. However, the food was outstanding. The salsas to start were all interesting and different. My friend and I each had the fish tacos and the chicken which was so moist and amazing, we were disappointed we couldn't take the leftovers home. The two desserts were also delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FusionLateeDined on 2/28/2014I loved the fusion of traditional Mexican food with unlikely nuts and sauces. It excited my palate was excited after my first bite of lobster tacos. The mixture of nuts in the guacamole was also a hit. The ambience enhanced my dining experience, the music selection made it less 'stuffy' as restaurants of that caliber can be. The service staff were very friendly, informative and helpful, our server Ron was very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week FailuredeezertVIPDined on 2/27/2014Foodie 4 restaurant week The food was really good. I had the chips w diff dips. We had the Kale Caesar (that was just ok) .. Lobster Tacos ... I had the steak w coconut rice and my friend had the fish. I had 1 Margarita and she had 1 glass of wine. We each had tea and had the yummy dessert. Restaurant Wk is supposed to be $38 pp minus tax/tip and any additions. We only ordered the 2 drinks and the 2 teas as an addition and our bill came out to $170 not including tip. When we asked about the bill which I normally never do, we were told some of the things we ordered off the menu, were extra $$ - not cool.Special Features:
- Good strong drinks, awful foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/21/2014Worst steak I have ever had in NYC. Overcooked and lacked any distinct flavor. Drinks were creative and strong. Make no mistake, you are paying to the neighborhood and not the culinary experience here.Special Features:
- Valentine's DayBknativeDined on 2/14/2014La Cenita was accommodating, hospitable, respectful and a upbeat location. My girlfriend and I were running late due to the heavy traffic from rush hour, so we call and ask if our reservation can be delayed. They were able to hold something off for us until we got there, on one of their busiest nights. When we arrive 30 mins late to the restaurant they remembered us from the phone conversations and quickly served us. The staff was amazing especially Roxy who was on top of things making sure the environment and our needs were quickly pleasing and enjoying. The food was amazing to say the least from appetizers to the desserts are the most delicious i had in NY for a while. Thanks for a great evening La CenitaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good quality food, awesomeSandeepDined on 2/12/2014Good quality food, awesome guacamole and black bean fundido ,great Margarita choices ( Pineapple Express was my personal favorite ). Nice ambience, a bit too loud to have a conversation. Very good vegetarian choices in appetizers but could have used more choices for main course. Very helpful and courteous staff, from the bar to table service. .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Refreshing take on MexicanOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/1/2014La Cenita had excellent service, delicious reinventions of classics, and a fun atmosphere! Put it on your short list!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Underwhelming. Food ok. DrinksLorrislootVIPDined on 1/31/2014Underwhelming. Food ok. Drinks better. Service too into themselves.
- The food was hit or miss.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 1/25/2014The food was hit or miss. The Guac was delicious. But main items were not as impressive. But, they play fun music and it's pretty lively. Margaritas here were not as good as I would have liked but the other cocktails were pretty good.
- Great choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/25/2014Someone recommended this restaurant to me for my trip to NY and I would absolutely do the same now. we had booked a table for 9pm, but jet lag had kicked in and so we got there at 1830 and asked to be seated early. This was not a problem, and although it was fairly empty, there was still a great atmosphere. we were waited on beautifully, given great recommendations with the food, and just had a lovely evening over all. the food was delicious (some of the best tacos I have ever eaten) and the octopus...to die for! As we were leaving it was starting to get really buzzy. i would definitely have loved to be there for a late sitting if i wasn;tso tired. go go go before it gets too cool for schoolSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time!AndrewVIPDined on 1/25/2014We had a reservation for 6:45 on Saturday, got there 10 minutes late and were seated immediately. When we got there it was pretty empty but filled up as the night went on. Everything was great, I wouldn't order the Duck Enchiladas but even so they were still good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointmentSeabassDined on 1/24/2014Tiny tables packed one on top of each other. The place had no real lure to it and the food was Par at best for NYC. The atmosphere was undefined and the service was not what i have come to expect from this management group. You basically end up paying money on the pretenses of the management group's otherwise great reputation. I was very disappointed with my overall experience and expected better.
- A little disappointedNYCfoodieDined on 1/24/2014First time dining, heard great things, I guess I expected more. It was good, not great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The place is too loud andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/17/2014The place is too loud and over priced for what they are actually severing.Special Features: