35 Lafayette Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11217Neighborhood:
CreolePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lacayebk.com/
- Phone: 7188584160x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Wednesday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm
Thursday - Friday: 4:30pm - 12:00am
Saturday: 11:30pm - 1:00am
Sunday: 11:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Caribbean, French, Creole
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Catering available
A word from La Caye
La Caye brings authentic Haitian cuisine to the heart of Fort Greene, Brooklyn. Its signature flavors hailing from lime, tomato, thyme and habañero, Haitian cuisine is flavorful, aromatic and healthy.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
La Caye - Best Restaurants in Fort Greene ›
La Caye reviews from OpenTable diners
28 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (16)great for brunch (13)neighborhood gem (13)fit for foodies (12)good for groups (11)late-night find (10)hot spot (10)romantic (9)special occasion (9)great for lunch (9)vibrant bar scene (9)kid-friendly (7)notable wine list (5)scenic view (4)Show More
- amazingdeliciousDined on 8/29/2014The owner, Ralph is a gem. He was very helpful in my plot to surprise my boyfriend for his birthday, by allowing me to bring his birthday cake the night before. The food is always delicious, with flavor and awesome seasoning. Our dinner party included myself, a couple of my girlfriends and my boyfriend with his friend and cousin. The guys were known to be picky eaters, and surprisingly, they loved the food; especially my boyfriend and his cousin. LaCaye is a staple restaurant in my book.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Haitian foodfluffVIPDined on 6/28/2014i am Haitian and love going here. the vibe and atmosphere are create and cozy. its a must try if you have not experienced Haitian cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved that meal!SweetchellyDined on 6/26/2014It added up! 195$ for a family of four. This I our second visit here. We waited 40 min for our table even with a reservation. There was a live entertainment. They should have been placed in the back near the window so the customers outside could hear as well. Idk if there are outlets there or if windows open, but it wouldve been nice. Atmosphere was nice. Haitian music kompa would b ok. Food was great and came quickly. Cons: They didn't offer any salads and only two deserts. Patte, cake or cremas would have been nice. Our server took forever to bring check and collect money and didn't check on is much but was nice. There is only one bathroom for everyone to use including staff. Overall Id come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Pearl of BKBKcynicDined on 6/22/2014Though making a last minute group reservation at this restaurant the day before and calling with requests the morning of, I was well accommodated. The ambiance was perfect, service flawless and we managed to combine having a private family dinner with watching the World Cup game at the bar. The entire family felt 'at home'. Though all the dishes we ordered were excellent, I highly recommend the conch. The outdoor area is definitely fitting for a nice summer brunch spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/17/2014Came here with my friends. Inititally we were not received well by the waitress even though we had a reservation but the manager and the second server was great once we were seated. The food was excellent and plan on returning here.Special Features:
- Nice BAM findGogoGrubsterDined on 6/8/2014AMBIENCE: Very welcoming backyard-quiet, spacious & surrounded by trees. Post matinee dinner for 7. We stayed 3 hours & no hassles from staff. Very laid back. Not sure about inside. SERVICE:Very island-slow, happy, nonintrusive. Don't know if that's usual or they sensed we weren't in a hurry. If you are you'll need to say so up front (maybe more than once). FOOD: Delicious. Ordered entire dinner menu except white potatoes & desserts. Conch a bit tougher than usual, but overall we got prime ingredients with tasty sauces. Only complaint: Legume D'Aubergine & the creole sauce in other dishes were too mild for some. If you like spicy you won't get it here without insisting. Sangrias & mojitos too sweet for all of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a great timeDivineDined on 6/5/2014Even though it was last minute I was able to get a table and The food is usually on point but I must say the Black rice was a little salty and dry. the cook is usually on point, who knows things happen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very friendlySachaDined on 6/2/2014The restaurant is very friendly clean and well located. It is a must visit place. Also the songs are appropriate for the place. Keep up the good work. The service is very excellent. I went for the first time I was impressed. And I am going to come more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/24/2014Wish the service was a little better. It was polite but energetic would have been great. Didn't receive a cocktail menu. If there is one then we didn't get it and if there isn't one it should be created for vibe and type of setup the restaurant has.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Somewhat dissappointedKreyolDined on 5/24/2014Personally I have had better but this is only based off one 1 meal (Tilapia Fritay) I had there. Workers r quite friendly but the service was poor. A party of 4 & so anxious & excited about their brunch menu which starts at 1pm-3:30pm. We had reservation for brunch @ 1pm but we arrived @ 2pm & they had nothing available on their brunch menu. The restaurant decided not to have brunch that day but y was this not advertised on the site or said during the the call? So I ordered my Tilapia & then we were ready for dessert. Of course that was not available either! Now we r ready to pay w/ cc but the machine was not working for 30min & magically worked. The next day we looked at our bank statement & some of us got charged 3 times. Total NIGHTMARESpecial Features:
- The following 34 reviews are from the La Caye reviews archive.
- DeliciousBonmangeDined on 5/13/2014The food there took me back to when I was young and would live to eat Fritay! This is a very good spot to visit!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's DayhaitianmomsrockDined on 5/11/2014My boyfriend and I took our Haitian mothers to LaCaye and they absolutely enjoyed it . The food is amazing and caters do all . My mother has diabetes and I loved the fact the food didn't have too much salt or oil and they both enjoyed the wine selections . Good thing they weren't driving because they DRINKED !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!JoebibiDined on 5/11/2014I went there on Mother's day with my family and was absolutely delighted.The place is small,but was cleaned and elegant.There is also a beautiful outdoor dining. The food was very good and the service impeccable, but they need to reduce the time after ordering your food.This is my second time there, and definitely I will return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- frequentdinerVIPDined on 5/8/2014Fun Haitian food right across the street from BAM. What could be better beforehand. Main portions are large and delicious: kingfish, mixed seafood. Great creole sauce. Nice wine list by the glass. Live music as we were leaving. We have to come back.
- amazing timeDivineDined on 5/3/2014The food was delicious, the servers Cynthia and Lewis were extremely exceptional and courteous. We didn't have to ask for refills, they knew when to refill. Excellent service. Not even the rain could have ruin our dinner. My friends and I had an amazing time at Lacaye Restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodWiningandiningDined on 4/26/2014I had a pretty good experience at La Caye. Pros: food was tasty/fresh ingredients (I know a good black rice when I taste one...that one was on point for sure) Server was knowledgeable and spoke creole food came pretty fast Drinks were good Server was super nice Cons: The poisson Gros sel wasn't what I expected...good but not the Poisson Gros Sel that I know. No Haitian music :-( I was disappointed with that. (give us the experience!) Servings were a hint on the small side. My hungry husband wasn't too keen on that. All in all we had a nice experience and would certainly return.Special Features:
- Adorable Haitian RestaurantWithoutTheNVIPDined on 4/22/2014It's hard to find a Haitiain restaurant with good food, good ambiance and polite service, but La Caye has all three. As a Haitian American I'm proud to be able to take non-Haitians to this restaurant and be garaunteed good service. However, the food does feel a little rushed and under seasoned. When compared to the real thing made at home, the food lacks some character and complexity, but the ambiance more than makes up for it.Special Features:
- Excellent service!Barbie17Dined on 4/18/2014I took my mom out for her birthday and all I can say is our server Cynthia was amazing and she made out evening wonderful. Thank god for her because I wasn't impressed by where we sat it was next to a large party in the back by the wall across from the bathroom. It was very uncomfortable. But that was pretty much the bad part but the service would be the only reason I come back. Food was good but my rice came out and it wasn't hot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/17/2014Never ate Haitian food before. Very tasty. Especially enjoyed the red snapper. Servers were lovely and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem in BKBKcynicDined on 4/6/2014This restaurant is a gem that has been in demand for some time, but no one else has pulled off this concept. It has a relatively young, but mature and upscale clientele. After making the reservation, our table was already prepared with menus on arrival. I wasn't pleased with the dessert and before complaining, management noticed and it was changed immediately. The food is good and authentic Haitian cuisine. The outdoor atmosphere is amazing with BAM being across the street and indoors looking very calm, but colorful. Overall, I will definitely frequent this place again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale Haitian RestaurantNaimaDined on 4/5/2014The food was really good and tasted like authentic Haitian food (I'm Haitian btw). Nice ambience! I suggest they work on he Pain Patate (bread pudding dessert), though. Check with grandma on the receipe. Overall really good for a pleasant introduction to Haitian food. Our group had the Seafood Creole, Beef Fritaye, Pork Fritaye (Excellent!!), King Fish. The black mushroom rice, yummy! For appetizers, the arkas is a must!Special Features:
- A rare Haitian RestaurantNYCsocialitedinerVIPDined on 4/5/2014As a Haitian American, it is hard to find Haitian restaurants in NYC, especially good ones. Le caye was great! The best I've ever had! The decor was very nice. The service was friendly and very efficient. And the food was amazing! I plan on taking my friends there! I had gone for brunch with my family and loved the sangria too!Special Features:
- Yummy fooodFoodieeeeDined on 3/29/2014We had a little issue with our server who was a bit snappy but we got a new one and everything was fine. My food was great and so was everyone else's. The meat tastes like it was seasoned for days it was delicious. Definitely coming back, wish they had konpa playing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AuthenticAnnaDined on 3/29/2014Tasty, authentic, Haitian cuisine served by their friendly and attentive staff. Ladies who served us made sure we had everything we needed. We had the pumpkin soup, akras, chikaty, lambi boucane. lambi la caye and a poisson rose. If you like spicy, ask for side of pikliz. Portions were just right and service was prompt. Cute restaurant with upbeat Haitian music, each visit I experienced was delicious and inviting. Gets pretty packed for weekend dinners. Nice cocktails too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasant first visit.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/29/2014Very pleasant first visit. Menu has nice variety and food was very tasty. Although spicy, nothing was overly hot and all was within proportion. Enjoyed Poulet Creole, Black Mushroom Rice, acras, grilled conch, and spicy wings. Fish special was a little fishy. Desserts were yummy (sweet potato pudding and red velvet cake). Definitely would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and great serviceBrookJCDined on 3/22/2014Food is fantastic! A broad menu so there is something for everyone. Delicious salads and yummy cocktails. The service was great as well, very friendly. The location is perfect for BAM or TFANA. Got this restaurant off of Open Table and knew nothing about it before hand. Left the restaurant a very satisfied customer who expects to return many times.Special Features:
- Very nice theater spotDMSNYCVIPDined on 3/18/2014Very nice spot for a pre theater meal in the BAM area. Service was very pleasant and food was very tasty.Special Features:
- Delish!KateDined on 3/15/2014I had kingfish, my companion had the plate of misc. fried foods. Both were delish! The service was wonderful, the cocktails were fabulous. All in all, a very nice visit to La Caye
- Good Haitian food.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/9/2014Nice spot good food good atmosphere good service. Just a little too small. Had a group nice people it was very tight. Other then that great spot.Special Features:
- The food was good. I maybeChefsKidDined on 3/5/2014The food was good. I maybe biased because my father is a chef who specialized in Haitian and Spanish cuisines, but the food wasn't excellent. The ambiance and drinks were great. One of the managers was very courteous and even provided my mother with a free dessert. There was a very loud group of women there celebrating a birthday, so it was hard to talk and hear at times. But it's a nice restaurant overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- La caye experience was divineDivineDined on 2/27/2014Cannot wait to go back. Had an amazing time with my friends, it was one of the girls birthday and she states she had an amazing time and the food was delicious and the staff was courteous and welcoming, mad us feel right at home, the food was to die for and the Sangria was tasty and complement to the CHEF. It was even more amazing when the band sang happy birthday to my my friend, they made her night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- greatKevinDined on 2/14/2014Went on Vday so was a lil crowded.. but overall experience I had a good time and that food was excellent loved itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was expecting a wide selectionAL512Dined on 2/14/2014I was expecting a wide selection of food but instead I was subject to choose from a valentines day menu so I couldn't get what I wanted
- Awesome place!SaramaryamDined on 2/14/2014La Caye was amazing. I was there with my boyfriend for valentines day and it was everything I imagined it would be. I loved the staff and especially the food. The lobster soup is so delicious it's a must try! The leg space is very tight and cramped. But that didn't take away much from my wonderful night. I recommend this place to anyone whose looking for good authentic mushroom rice and at a romantic setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My proposalobsessedwithmine5Dined on 2/14/2014Friday I came to the restaurant. They were pretty busy we had to wait about 40 minutes to be seated. While I waited at the bar the manager gave everyone a round of drinks. Within a half an hour I was laughing and enjoying my time. Then it happened my boyfried finally PROPOSED yo me after being together for 15 years. We share 3 kids and a lifetime together!! Thank you for such a wonderful experience. They gave us free drinks and champagne all night. A magical moment to remember. .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We went there for Valentine'sOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2014We went there for Valentine's Day, didn't know what to expect. But it definitely exceeded our expectations, the setup was very romantic and cozy. The food was excellently prepared, the lobster soup is to die for, everyone should try it. We will definitely be returning soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantastic waitressemacDined on 2/13/2014I ordered the fish and my husband ordered a kind of meatball dish in cajun sauce. My fish was tasteless--so over-cooked as to be in fact inedible. I did what I can never remember doing which was, when the waitress asked how we were doing, to say "I'm not loving the fish." She immediately said, "Oh, I'm sorry, can I bring you anything else?" I was pleasantly taken aback by how matter-of-fact she was about it. I had tasted my husband's meal, which was great and asked for another order of that. She brought it fairly quickly considering that the restaurant was full by that time and it was a great meal for me. We tipped her well--that was, as far as I'm concerned an unimprovably good way to deal with an unhappy customer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What's Not To Love?CaribeDined on 2/4/2014Took my brother here for a surprise birthday dinner. Success! Arrived early, attended by wait staff immediately. Friendly, energetic, & speedy team. Food was perfection. Drinks great. Desert great. Tryna find something wrong but...I can't. Just incredible.Special Features:
- Close to BAMGrillVIPDined on 1/31/2014Across the street from the BAM opera house, this Haitian restaurant is a haven in bad weather. Service is polite and helpful; food rustic and hearty. Very c lean rest room. A good alternative to the heavy German fare and dour service next door.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Warm welcomeBethDined on 1/21/2014It was snowing like crazy and a blessing to be greeted at the door by a lovely Haitian gentleman whom I assume is the proprietor, or manager–and I mean SUCH a gentleman. This place has casual class, relaxed yet sophisticated, and the staff are solicitous and knowledgeable. The perfect pre-show place just across from BAM Opera House. The food is interesting and well-prepared. Will definitely go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.