35 Lafayette Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11217Neighborhood:
CreolePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lacayebk.com/
- Phone: (718) 858-4160
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Wednesday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm
Thursday - Friday: 4:30pm - 12:00am
Saturday: 11:30pm - 1:00am
Sunday: 11:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Caribbean, French, Creole
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Catering available
A word from La Caye
La Caye brings authentic Haitian cuisine to the heart of Fort Greene, Brooklyn. Its signature flavors hailing from lime, tomato, thyme and habañero, Haitian cuisine is flavorful, aromatic and healthy.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
La Caye - Best Restaurants in Fort Greene ›
La Caye reviews from OpenTable diners
33 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (19)great for outdoor dining (16)fit for foodies (14)good for groups (8)romantic (7)late-night find (7)special occasion (6)great for brunch (5)hot spot (4)great for lunch (4)vibrant bar scene (3)notable wine list (3)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Dinner for twoChefsKidDined on 11/22/2014My boyfriend and I visited La Caye this past weekend. We've both been here numerous times. It was very crowded upon entry, so we couldn't be seated for our reserved time. Luckily, we found two open seats at the bar and decided to have drinks and eat there. The pomegranate sak passe mojito was really great. I had the tasso fritaille and it was a bit dry. My boyfriend had macaroni and cheese and wings, he thoroughly enjoyed it. We are both avid believers in supporting establishments that we share similar cultures with. We will continue to support La Caye!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little cold but great night!NadineDined on 11/21/2014We had reservations and was celebrating my boyfriend's birthday. The whole evening was good from the food to the ambiance. Our seats were great because they were to the front of the restaurant so could see the beautiful lighting display of BAM as it's across the street...prime spot! However because the reserved tables are by the front door every time the door opened the cold air came in and made it really cold. Usually restaurants have the velvet curtains at the front door to block the incoming wind but I guess they had not out up theirs yet! Other than that the night was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EntertainmentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/20/2014Great to have live music. Would suggest relocating stage so that singers and musicians can be seen by all diners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- La Caye Restaurant - welcome home ;-)YummayDined on 11/16/2014It was good man. Crowded cause it's small but like da name means, felt like ya coming home. Service was a bit slow in the beginning, but really sweet, apologetic waitress. They were VERY busy. Met da owner n he was a class act. He's been in restaurant biz over 24yrs. But La Caye for only 2yrs I think? He gave us complimentary cocktails after din, as well as b'day cake/ice cream. It had 4 separate b'days in there all happening n everytime one got surprised with their cake, the entire restaurant -- all parties, sang it out loud for everyone! Hey, I did say it felt like home...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- noromoDined on 11/13/2014Have been here several times-food is quite good, but service ranges from excellent to poor, depending on the server. Atmosphere can be almost oppressive during pre-theater hour (noisy and crowded) but otherwise is a great place. Wish they served liquor (just wine and beer).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Experience at LaCayeSM123Dined on 11/6/2014Interesting samples from haitian cuisine ,prepared to suit all palates . Our group consisted of people from various ethnic backgrounds ,including 1 haitian and we all enjoyed our meal . We especially appreciated the music provided by the 4 people band : music variety with a carribbean undertone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So bad it was comical.EmilyVIPDined on 11/2/2014Waitress was the most disengaged server I've ever had. It was brunch. My friend asked for a bloody mary, she looked at him like he was insane and said, perfectly seriously, "we don't have anything bloody." Turns out they only have a beer/wine license, which would have been of course fine -- but working brunch and not knowing what a bloody mary is? When my other friend asked for a coffee refill, I swear she was about to just say "No." But 10 minutes later she did turn up with the coffee pot. 2 of us ordered french toast. The other 2 guests' dishes came out first and she said the french toast would be just a minute -- it was 9 minutes. Nine. Took 3 tries to get the check. Oy! Food was unremarkable.
- noromoDined on 10/25/2014Food is really tasty, and atmosphere lively. Service was very good. Would be great if you also served liquor (only serve beer and wine).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/18/2014Everything was very nice. I would have liked for the music to have been a bit softer though.Special Features:
- Better than BeforeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014This was my third visit to La Caye. I come back because the food is great but the service is sub par. This most recent visit I have to say our server was very polite which actually shocked me because my previous two visits they were so bad. I'm not sure if they are understaffed but no one come around to refill your glass of water or make sure everything is to your liking. For me, that's the only thing missing to make this restaurant the perfect place to add to my list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice enoughRarelyoutDined on 10/8/2014Food, presentation, decor quite good and nice; good backyard space and typically intimate indoor space. Service was friendly and helpful, but very slow for us, although others seemed to get attended to more quickly. Very convenient to BAM. We had over 1 1/2 hours until curtain and just made it!Special Features:
- Great for a meal before BAMGandangaDined on 10/7/2014The service was great and waitstaff was sensitive to the time constraints of people wishing to catch a show at BAM. The food and wine were both very good. It was a super night out.Special Features:
- NJBillDined on 9/28/2014We had tickets to see a show at BAM and La Caye is right across the street. The ratings were fairly good so decided to give it a try. We were seated inside and there were a lot of people out back. The wait staff could not handle the crowd. We ordered a bottle of wine and it didn't come out until the main course. The waitress tried to serve the main course without clearing the appetizers. The food was fairly good but the menu is limited.
- Location, locationKatrielVIPDined on 9/27/2014My reservation was for 6pm on a Sat night. Restaurant was a third full, but hostess declined to seat me outside (said it was only for large parties; I checked later--not so); she offered me a small table just in front of the door. I declined. Grudgingly, she offered another option. Warm roasted veg salad and the tilapia were assertively spiced and flavorful--portions generous. If you are going to arts venues in Ft Greene, this is an ideal location, but leave yourself plenty of time to dine--restaurant quickly becomes noisy and chaotic--but I'd return for the food.Special Features:
- pleasant staffBKFoodieDined on 9/20/2014Waiter and bar tender were very pleasant. Owner stopped by our table to check on us. Customer service was great. Food was also brought over within a decent time frame.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!!Luv2CriticDined on 9/14/2014The food is great but the service was a shock. We waited half an hour for our waitress to take out order. I like La Caye.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazingdeliciousDined on 8/29/2014The owner, Ralph is a gem. He was very helpful in my plot to surprise my boyfriend for his birthday, by allowing me to bring his birthday cake the night before. The food is always delicious, with flavor and awesome seasoning. Our dinner party included myself, a couple of my girlfriends and my boyfriend with his friend and cousin. The guys were known to be picky eaters, and surprisingly, they loved the food; especially my boyfriend and his cousin. LaCaye is a staple restaurant in my book.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 43 reviews are from the La Caye reviews archive.
- Amazing Haitian foodfluffVIPDined on 6/28/2014i am Haitian and love going here. the vibe and atmosphere are create and cozy. its a must try if you have not experienced Haitian cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved that meal!SweetchellyDined on 6/26/2014It added up! 195$ for a family of four. This I our second visit here. We waited 40 min for our table even with a reservation. There was a live entertainment. They should have been placed in the back near the window so the customers outside could hear as well. Idk if there are outlets there or if windows open, but it wouldve been nice. Atmosphere was nice. Haitian music kompa would b ok. Food was great and came quickly. Cons: They didn't offer any salads and only two deserts. Patte, cake or cremas would have been nice. Our server took forever to bring check and collect money and didn't check on is much but was nice. There is only one bathroom for everyone to use including staff. Overall Id come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Pearl of BKBKcynicDined on 6/22/2014Though making a last minute group reservation at this restaurant the day before and calling with requests the morning of, I was well accommodated. The ambiance was perfect, service flawless and we managed to combine having a private family dinner with watching the World Cup game at the bar. The entire family felt 'at home'. Though all the dishes we ordered were excellent, I highly recommend the conch. The outdoor area is definitely fitting for a nice summer brunch spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/17/2014Came here with my friends. Inititally we were not received well by the waitress even though we had a reservation but the manager and the second server was great once we were seated. The food was excellent and plan on returning here.Special Features:
- Nice BAM findGogoGrubsterDined on 6/8/2014AMBIENCE: Very welcoming backyard-quiet, spacious & surrounded by trees. Post matinee dinner for 7. We stayed 3 hours & no hassles from staff. Very laid back. Not sure about inside. SERVICE:Very island-slow, happy, nonintrusive. Don't know if that's usual or they sensed we weren't in a hurry. If you are you'll need to say so up front (maybe more than once). FOOD: Delicious. Ordered entire dinner menu except white potatoes & desserts. Conch a bit tougher than usual, but overall we got prime ingredients with tasty sauces. Only complaint: Legume D'Aubergine & the creole sauce in other dishes were too mild for some. If you like spicy you won't get it here without insisting. Sangrias & mojitos too sweet for all of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a great timeDivineDined on 6/5/2014Even though it was last minute I was able to get a table and The food is usually on point but I must say the Black rice was a little salty and dry. the cook is usually on point, who knows things happen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very friendlySachaDined on 6/2/2014The restaurant is very friendly clean and well located. It is a must visit place. Also the songs are appropriate for the place. Keep up the good work. The service is very excellent. I went for the first time I was impressed. And I am going to come more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/24/2014Wish the service was a little better. It was polite but energetic would have been great. Didn't receive a cocktail menu. If there is one then we didn't get it and if there isn't one it should be created for vibe and type of setup the restaurant has.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Somewhat dissappointedKreyolDined on 5/24/2014Personally I have had better but this is only based off one 1 meal (Tilapia Fritay) I had there. Workers r quite friendly but the service was poor. A party of 4 & so anxious & excited about their brunch menu which starts at 1pm-3:30pm. We had reservation for brunch @ 1pm but we arrived @ 2pm & they had nothing available on their brunch menu. The restaurant decided not to have brunch that day but y was this not advertised on the site or said during the the call? So I ordered my Tilapia & then we were ready for dessert. Of course that was not available either! Now we r ready to pay w/ cc but the machine was not working for 30min & magically worked. The next day we looked at our bank statement & some of us got charged 3 times. Total NIGHTMARESpecial Features:
- DeliciousBonmangeDined on 5/13/2014The food there took me back to when I was young and would live to eat Fritay! This is a very good spot to visit!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's DayhaitianmomsrockDined on 5/11/2014My boyfriend and I took our Haitian mothers to LaCaye and they absolutely enjoyed it . The food is amazing and caters do all . My mother has diabetes and I loved the fact the food didn't have too much salt or oil and they both enjoyed the wine selections . Good thing they weren't driving because they DRINKED !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!JoebibiDined on 5/11/2014I went there on Mother's day with my family and was absolutely delighted.The place is small,but was cleaned and elegant.There is also a beautiful outdoor dining. The food was very good and the service impeccable, but they need to reduce the time after ordering your food.This is my second time there, and definitely I will return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- frequentdinerVIPDined on 5/8/2014Fun Haitian food right across the street from BAM. What could be better beforehand. Main portions are large and delicious: kingfish, mixed seafood. Great creole sauce. Nice wine list by the glass. Live music as we were leaving. We have to come back.
- amazing timeDivineDined on 5/3/2014The food was delicious, the servers Cynthia and Lewis were extremely exceptional and courteous. We didn't have to ask for refills, they knew when to refill. Excellent service. Not even the rain could have ruin our dinner. My friends and I had an amazing time at Lacaye Restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodWiningandiningDined on 4/26/2014I had a pretty good experience at La Caye. Pros: food was tasty/fresh ingredients (I know a good black rice when I taste one...that one was on point for sure) Server was knowledgeable and spoke creole food came pretty fast Drinks were good Server was super nice Cons: The poisson Gros sel wasn't what I expected...good but not the Poisson Gros Sel that I know. No Haitian music :-( I was disappointed with that. (give us the experience!) Servings were a hint on the small side. My hungry husband wasn't too keen on that. All in all we had a nice experience and would certainly return.Special Features:
- Adorable Haitian RestaurantWithoutTheNVIPDined on 4/22/2014It's hard to find a Haitiain restaurant with good food, good ambiance and polite service, but La Caye has all three. As a Haitian American I'm proud to be able to take non-Haitians to this restaurant and be garaunteed good service. However, the food does feel a little rushed and under seasoned. When compared to the real thing made at home, the food lacks some character and complexity, but the ambiance more than makes up for it.Special Features:
- Excellent service!Barbie17Dined on 4/18/2014I took my mom out for her birthday and all I can say is our server Cynthia was amazing and she made out evening wonderful. Thank god for her because I wasn't impressed by where we sat it was next to a large party in the back by the wall across from the bathroom. It was very uncomfortable. But that was pretty much the bad part but the service would be the only reason I come back. Food was good but my rice came out and it wasn't hot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/17/2014Never ate Haitian food before. Very tasty. Especially enjoyed the red snapper. Servers were lovely and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem in BKBKcynicDined on 4/6/2014This restaurant is a gem that has been in demand for some time, but no one else has pulled off this concept. It has a relatively young, but mature and upscale clientele. After making the reservation, our table was already prepared with menus on arrival. I wasn't pleased with the dessert and before complaining, management noticed and it was changed immediately. The food is good and authentic Haitian cuisine. The outdoor atmosphere is amazing with BAM being across the street and indoors looking very calm, but colorful. Overall, I will definitely frequent this place again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale Haitian RestaurantNaimaDined on 4/5/2014The food was really good and tasted like authentic Haitian food (I'm Haitian btw). Nice ambience! I suggest they work on he Pain Patate (bread pudding dessert), though. Check with grandma on the receipe. Overall really good for a pleasant introduction to Haitian food. Our group had the Seafood Creole, Beef Fritaye, Pork Fritaye (Excellent!!), King Fish. The black mushroom rice, yummy! For appetizers, the arkas is a must!Special Features:
- A rare Haitian RestaurantNYCsocialitedinerVIPDined on 4/5/2014As a Haitian American, it is hard to find Haitian restaurants in NYC, especially good ones. Le caye was great! The best I've ever had! The decor was very nice. The service was friendly and very efficient. And the food was amazing! I plan on taking my friends there! I had gone for brunch with my family and loved the sangria too!Special Features:
- Yummy fooodFoodieeeeDined on 3/29/2014We had a little issue with our server who was a bit snappy but we got a new one and everything was fine. My food was great and so was everyone else's. The meat tastes like it was seasoned for days it was delicious. Definitely coming back, wish they had konpa playing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AuthenticAnnaDined on 3/29/2014Tasty, authentic, Haitian cuisine served by their friendly and attentive staff. Ladies who served us made sure we had everything we needed. We had the pumpkin soup, akras, chikaty, lambi boucane. lambi la caye and a poisson rose. If you like spicy, ask for side of pikliz. Portions were just right and service was prompt. Cute restaurant with upbeat Haitian music, each visit I experienced was delicious and inviting. Gets pretty packed for weekend dinners. Nice cocktails too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.