13565 Ventura Blvd
Sherman Oaks, CA 91423Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.lacavashermanoaks.com/Welcome.html
- Phone: 8189811517
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: T-Sa 11:30am-2:30pm
Dinner: M-Sa 5:30pm-10:30pm
Dinner: Su 5:00pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from La Cava
The LA CAVA concept is based on Armando's roots. Born and raised in Florence, he greq up learning that as a local, one would go dining in the little Osterias where everything was made fresh daily, prepared with basic ingredients, simple recipes, delightful flavors and lots of love, for a fantastic experience that was also "gentle" on your wallet.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
La Cava - Best Restaurants in Sherman Oaks ›
La Cava reviews from OpenTable diners
49 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (35)fit for foodies (18)great for outdoor dining (14)special occasion (10)romantic (9)kid-friendly (7)great for lunch (5)notable wine list (4)good for groups (2)Show More
- BETTER than mostMytaiDined on 10/3/2014Do not waste your money on restaurants in the Valley that get so much attention with food write ups...this place is the best, and they don't hide behind too much salt to make their food taste good! it's real food, done very well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/28/2014I took my wife to La Cava for her birthday. When I made my reservation, I specifically noted that on my the open table website. The restaurant did nothing special for her birthday. When I asked the waiter about it, he said that whoever sat us probably did not look at the open table reservation and that he was never informed and that it was too late and did not even apologize. We were surprised that the waiter did nothing to make it up to us. They do have really great food, but the experience was diminished because of this poor service.
- Great Food, but a bit pricey.SugoDined on 9/27/2014We enjoyed our dining at La Cava very much - and will definitely go back again. We felt it was a bit expensive - and corkage at $ 25 seemed a bit steep, but it was such a nice experience, that we overlooked the expense.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- La Cava Sherman OaksSDietVIPDined on 9/27/20141st time dining at La Cava, we sat outside but there was a lot of traffic noise from Ventura Blvd. I would recommend sitting inside. Although the food was very good and the server was pleasant, it didn't seem to flow as smoothly as I thought is should. But overall not a bad dining experience.Special Features:
- MehesesjayDined on 9/27/2014I hate to rate a place on one visit or one dish but there were 3 of us and we were pretty much in agreement. First, my Caesar salad--pedestrian at best. Some chopped Romaine (that tasted more like iceberg) a few croutons and some shaved parmesan. Nothing special. The spaghetti with sea food is supposed to be one of their best dishes. Good sauce but the sea food was over-cooked. I like pasta al dente but this was getting stuck in my teeth. I also like my savory dishes but this was WAY too salty. The ravioli with spinach and ricotta was 'okay', not great. Nice homemade pasta but soggy. The pasta with soft shell crab was also too salty. Nice enough atmosphere. Service, polite but nothing special. Overall I give them a 'C'.Special Features:
- Kr8tiv1Dined on 9/20/2014Service was amazing! Small intimate restaurant so would highly encourage reservations.Special Features:
- new2nhoodDined on 9/13/2014This is Italian dining without leaving So Cal...it took me back to my trips there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great local restaurant!ValleyfoodieDined on 8/26/2014We have dined at La Cava twice now. Both with Westside "snooties" that did not believe you could get a good, gourmet, fresh meal in the Valley. La Cava is fantastic and I believe "wowed" them. Perfect Italian food. Simple menu, but delicious!Special Features:
- Best Italian In ValleyOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/22/2014Love this spot. The food is consistently great, wine list is a blend of recognizable favorites and a few you have never heard of, and service is exceptional. Try anything off the specials menu as I have never been disappointed. Seafood is always good here. One of my favorite spots in the valley and definitely the best Italian spot around.Special Features:
- It's about attitude...GourmetSteveDined on 8/14/2014and a $25 corkage fee. 4 of us had dinner there and brought to bottles of wine. We shared some of each with our waiter, who was not familiar with Russian River Pinot Noirs. I was shocked when we got the bill and was charged $50 corkage. $50 corkage may be acceptable in a better restaurant but not this one. When I spoke to the waiter he went back to the owner who just "That's my policy". I'll never go back to La Cava again. Oliva on Van Nuys Bl has better food, friendlier staff and I don't pay corkage.
- Very slow lunch serviceJayTeaThreeVIPDined on 8/14/2014Had a business lunch last week. When we arrived there was only one other table seated but it took an hour to get a cheese pizza as an appetizer. We needed to rush through our entrees just to get get back to work in time. Owner never apologized or made any effort to make it up to us. Instead he explained that they only had 2 cooks and justified the delay stating "we're slow food made to order." That's fine, but most people don't have time for a 2-hour lunch. Regardless, none of our orders (a margherita pizza, salads, and a sauteed sole w/ picatta sauce that I cook myself at home from scratch in 10 mins) should have taken anywhere close to the nearly 90 minutes it took. The food was good, but not great. I couldn't justify returning.
- La Cava was OK but too $$$$$$OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/9/2014This is a standard, decent Italian restaurant but much too pricey for the average quality, and quantity of food. The price for three for dinner, including one inexpensive bottle of wine was $200.
- Best pizza in the ValleyBruceVIPDined on 8/4/2014The first time -- a few weeks ago -- that we ate at La Cava we noticed the family at the next table devouring what appeared to be an incredibly great pizza. So that's what we ordered this past Monday -- along with a Caesar salad -- for a quick, early dinner. We were NOT disappointed. The crust was super thin; the cheese was just right -- the sauce tasted as though it had been made in Florence. It was perfect for two people. And both the water and busboy were personable and very efficient. Great prices, too. (I should note that we loved the far more elaborate entrees we had the first time we were there; fabulous lasagna and fish.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just like Nona'sOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/23/2014Every dish tastes like home! Nothing beats Italian food!Special Features:
- A GemSteveDined on 7/8/2014great find and i have eaten there with the family twice in 6 weeks , only concern is how often they update the menu as so far thats the only concernSpecial Features:
- Good but inexplicably slowfrequentdinefamDined on 7/7/2014We ate at La Cava on a Monday night, we were a group of 7 and we were basically the only people in the restaurant except for one small table of people. The ambience is ok, a kind of storefront Ventura Blvd. restaurant, perfectly fine, though. But the service did not work for us. We ordered around 6:50 pm and we didn't get our meals until after 8 pm, which was just ludicrous, and there were no special orders or anything. The food itself was very tasty mid-level Italian food, not exceptional but exactly what was expected for the price, but the wait just kind of ruined the experience. We had a hungry 9 year-old in the group so it was really not the place to go for us.Special Features:
- Not as good the second time around.FoodyDined on 7/5/2014This was our second time at La Cava, but there will not be a third. The sauce on the seafood pasta tasted like it was canned; the lamb was not cooked as ordered; the broccoli was limp; and the cappucino was watery and cold. Too bad, because the staff is friendly and we like to support our local restaurants. The place was full, so maybe we just had bad luck that evening.Special Features:
- Holiday staff?OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/5/2014I've been to La Cava many times and always loved it. Other than two nights ago, my last time was as recent as six weeks ago. But Saturday (7/5/14)... real problem. Maybe it was a holiday staff, but the waiters were horrible. Service was really, really bad. Sad to see (and to say) because in the past I have really liked it and we took some "foodie" friends there who will not be back. Too bad. Again, I'm hoping it was just a case of a holiday staff covering and, unfortunately, blowing it!
- WarrenCWarrenCVIPDined on 7/2/2014Fun Italian and great gluten free pasta. Owner is on the floor and makes sure all is going well.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/1/2014THE BEST OF EVERYTHING: Food, Service and Ambiance....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 32 reviews are from the La Cava reviews archive.
- Superb service; wonderful foodStealth89Dined on 6/25/2014The staff was flawless: attentive yet unobtrusive. The food was artfully prepared and delicious. The wine list featured some lovely selections. My friends from Canada were delighted with this little gem of a restaurant, and we lingered over our meal for 2-1/2 hours with no complaint. The only caveat is that the inside restaurant (they also have a street-side patio) is very small; therefore, boisterous fellow diners can become irritatingly noisy, especially when the wine has been flowing for awhile. Other than that, I cannot recommend this restaurant highly enough -- especially the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Italian Sherman OaksOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/24/2014I dream of eating here at least once a week! Feels like home! Taglatelli Bolognese and Ricotta Cheesecake Pie....now there are other wonderful dishes but this brings me right back home...to my Nona and Nana making that Ricotta Cheesecake Pie....YUMMMM....no Pinot Noir but their Chianti is very nice and light!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love La CavaOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/17/2014Being an American Italian girl, I so appreciate Italian cooking that tastes like my mom's home cooking. EVERYTHING is wonderful and the service and the owner .... TOPS!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Italian restaurant in the 818IdontcookVIPDined on 6/13/2014I've dined at La Cava for over three years. It is the only restaurant in all of Los Angeles that I frequent on a regular basis because the food is consistently good and the service is easy and pleasant. The owner, Armando, is most always present, running around making sure everything is okay and gives the place authentic charm. Stand out dishes I enjoy: artichoke salad, tagiatelle bolognese, ravioli salsa rosa, gamberoni (butterflied shrimp in shell), fried calamari, any pizza (thin crust), any soup, desserts are amazing (tiramisu and creme caramel). Love the enclosed street patio on a warm night. I've heard people say it's expensive for being a neighborhood restaurant. My reply: you get what you pay for.Special Features:
- great little local Italian jointjlsphotoworksDined on 6/6/2014just had dinner for the first time here. now is my new favorite local restaurant. super friendly staff and the manager/owner? great great personality. loved our dishes and the service was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JabesDined on 6/6/2014The check was a little pricey for food quality/choice. Better options in neighborhood.
- Great findAndrewVIPDined on 4/19/2014Attentive service, gracious owner, wonderful artichoke salad (a bit lighter on the almonds and it would have been great), excellent cioppino, the custard desert was a bit dense and heavy or the food would have gotten five stars Even thevalet parking is wallet-friendlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre NightjackieVIPDined on 4/13/2014I usually love this restaurant but for the first time ordered off of the regular menu (pounded filet mignon) instead of the daily specials. Big mistake! I think I was eating horse meat. Very dry and past well done!! And it was expensive.
- Perfect Neighborhood Spotbellygrubs005VIPDined on 4/7/2014This small neighborhood spot is wonderful. The food was yummy good. The usual pasta dishes along with some new combinations. The salad was fresh and tastey and pasta was nice and hot! The waiter didn't miss a beat when we asked to move our table. The family seated behind us clearly was 'unaware' of their baby needing a diaper change---phew!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good Italian in the ValleyWineLoverVIPDined on 4/6/2014The homemade pastas are excellent. The entrees that we have tried have been uniformly very good. We have been here at least half a dozen times and have always had a very good dinner. The artichoke salad is also a standout. The deserts that we have tried have been good. The best that we have tried was the creme brulee. They are very good about spliting things. We usually get one of each course, and split everything. The wine list is small with acceptable prices. There is sufficient breadth to select an appropriate wine. La Cava can be rather noisy during peak hours, but off peak it is moderate. The tables outside get quite a lot of noise from Ventura Blvd. The dining room is a little tight, pleasant, withsimple decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it! Excellent service!SusanVIPDined on 4/5/2014Loved it! Excellent service! Had a romantic 2nd date. Atmosphere was perf.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Debbie Does La CavaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/29/2014This place is a gem in Sherman Oaks. It's not fancy, but the food and the ambiance is great with low lighting and candles. There are a few table outside and I prefer to be outside if possible. The Waiters are friendly and efficient.Special Features:
- Delicious and welcomingToboDined on 3/27/2014Remains our favorite all time neighborhood spot! Always come here with special friends as we know it is consistently delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/23/2014My favorite Italian restaurant in Sherman Oaks. I love the Taglatelli Bolognese and many other of their dishes. Their Pinot Noir vino is also tasty but never forget the dessert -- Ricotta Pie...tastes almost like my Nona's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but won't be backJetskizeVIPDined on 3/14/2014We've been to this small but quaint Italian restaurant numerous times. Good food and moderate prices. But this is the only restaurant we've been to that will not give you a taste glass for wine. Since glasses of wine vary in quality and are between $12-16 a glass, the restaurants refusal to accommodate a taste is really not appropriate. Even more so, to charge $2.50 for marinara sauce with your order of chicken? There are so many choices of restaurants that the customer unfriendly practices turned us off.
- Our Neighborhood FavoriteToboDined on 2/27/2014La Cava is in our neighborhood, it always has excellent dishes, a combination of old favorites and new additions, everything is fresh and tasty. Salads perfect every time. Fish and vegetables cooked perfectly. Willing to accommodate special requests and dietary needs. When we travel, we like to dine here before we go, and when we come home, we can't wait to go back to our spot. Consistently for years, a wonderful experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best new findValerieDined on 2/25/2014I'm actually excited i have found La Cava. I do so many things in that area. One of my regulars is hearing jazz at The Cap a few blocks away. Now I can include a Fab dinner and make Tuesday night a happening !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific food & serviceLovetotravelSFVIPDined on 2/17/2014We have dined here previously, each time having enjoyed a wonderful meal. We have been dining here since the opening, and always look forward to the daily specials, and the wonderful service. The servers are always well versed on the menu, offer suggestions and guidance when figuring out what you might enjoy. We are big fans of the fresh pastas, and of course the delicious Branzino when it's available. You can't go wrong with the delicious pizza, or the perfectly prepared bolognese. Can't wait to return.Special Features:
- Prepare to wait awhile...OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/15/2014The food was good, but the time it took to receive it,and the for the cost, not worth the wait. The appetizer came within 15 minutes, but the dinner took nearly an hour.The place wasn't extremely busy, so I don't understand the delay.
- Flip Flop!!MickDined on 2/15/2014The food was extremely adequate & the service was ploddingly slow, except when it came to removing our plates, etc. it made us feel as though they were in a hurry to flip our table. Nothing horrible, but certainly nothing to write home about. Wouldn't recommend it & probably will never go back.