202 West 14th Street
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.lacarbonaranyc.com/media/lacarbonara.html
- Phone: (212) 255-2060
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday – Friday 12pm – 4pm
Dinner: Monday – Sunday 4pm – 11pm
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday 12pm – 4pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Giuliano Matarese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Coming Soon!
- Private Party Facilities: Private back dining room is perfect for parties of up to (15) people.
The entire dining room is also available for private events.
- Private Party Contact: Angelo Nasti 212-255-2060
- Cross Street: 7th Aveuue
- Public Transit: A,C or E Train to 14th St. and 8th Ave., 1,2 or 3 Train to 14th St. and 7th Ave.,
L Train to 14th St and 8th Ave.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Metered Parking Available, Read Parking Restrictions
Indoor Garage located on 14th street between 7th and 8th Ave.
A word from La Carbonara
La Carbonara is the perfect place to go to for Italian “comfort” food at a really good price. – eat well and don’t worry about what you are spending. Keeping within the traditions of NYCRG other restaurants, La Carbonara has a casual, rustic look, tailored to its surrounding neighborhood.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
La Carbonara reviews from OpenTable diners
23 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (13)notable wine list (9)special occasion (9)great for brunch (8)fit for foodies (7)great for lunch (7)good for groups (6)great for outdoor dining (4)romantic (4)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (1)kid-friendly (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/29/2014While my pasta was adequate, my friend's trout was so dry as to appear stale. When I pointed to our server, he made no attempts to take it back. My friend kept saying that it was OK, so I let it go. When the waiter, however, spilled a glass of my red wine all over my friend's dish, her blouse and her coat hanging on the back of her chair. I certainly expected not only an apology but a substitute entree and another glass of wine, and perhaps an offer to pay the dry cleaning bill. The manager never came over to offer apologies, no offer for another entree was made and while the waiter did bring another glass of wine, it appears that we were actually charged for it. My friend who is 78 year old woman just paid the bill
- Cutest Italian Spot in the HoodRachelJoyVIPDined on 10/23/2014We love going to La Carbonara for dinner. The service is always warm, welcoming and friendly. The food is always delicious. If you're looking for a great meal without the hype of a lot of NYC spots, try La Carbonara.Special Features:
- Good food but....AnnaVIPDined on 10/10/2014I'd eaten at Carbonara many times for its good food, so when I had dinner w/a friend, I was surprised to see gratuity included in the bill. When I asked the waiter why they did that for a party of 2, his answer was because a lot of tourists tend to sit & stay a while. So I informed him that we weren't tourists & had eaten there many times, & gratuity was never included in the bill. His reply then was to question if I thought that their service was not deserving of the tip factored in; were we not happy with the service? That's not the point. I'd understand if we were a party of 6. And, did they do this to tourists who otherwise may not know? Anyway, this attitude was the only turn off in the dining experience, otherwise the food was good.
- Drag BrunchBarryBVIPDined on 10/5/2014The drag brunch is the reason to visit La Carbonara. When I arrived, I was the only table for 2 available was outside. Not only would I miss the show, but it was also on 50 degrees that day. They told us it would probably be a 30 -45 minute wait for a table inside. So I walked out and started looking for a new place to have brunch. About 5 minutes later, the waiter, not the host, came out to get us becuase a place at the bar opened up. So we got to eat and see the show, although most of what we saw of the show was from behind. If you are in a big group (5 or more people), you will have a great table for the show. There were no tables of 2 in the main part of the restaurant. The food was tasty and service was quick, once seated.Special Features:
- Beware of the specialsKneedeepDined on 10/3/2014Overall we had an enjoyable meal with the family, but fealt like they had extracted every last cent from us. Specials are 50-100% more than the mains with no mention. I also can't abide by 20% flat service charge being applied to the bill. I won't be back.Special Features:
- Fresh & deliciousJerseygirl2Dined on 9/7/2014Everything was very tasty,freshest veggies I've had all summer. Panna cotta-super! Nice breads.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!!!AlexBrazilDined on 9/7/2014You can never go wrong choosing La Carbonara!! I love love it!!!Special Features:
- Mostly greatAllieGatorDined on 9/6/2014I've been coming here for about 5 years, had a birthday in the back room. The food is delicious, the service is great and the prices are SUPER reasonable. HOWEVER... I don't know if it's new management or what, but the ambience has changed for the worse! The music was too loud and it was all Justin Bieber and like, the Hot 100 playlist, which is super inappropriate for a little northern Italian place. Also there were some loud and unruly (read: intoxicated) patrons at the bar and not once did any of the staff ask them to act their age and be respectful. I dont know if they're trying to attract different clientele, and it was Saturday night, but it was like 7:30pm... kinda too early to turn down the lights like a club.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable gem now even betternydinerVIPDined on 9/4/2014This place was always a reliable find in the neighborhood but a renovation and new owners 6 months or so ago have improved on even that. The food is more consistent and the service is attentive, appreciative and friendly.Special Features:
- Under new managementMaineguyDined on 9/1/2014I use to love this place, it was softly lit with wooden tables and felt like an authentic Italian enoteca. I was disappointed when I took guest there to find it brightly lit like a mall, white table clothes, horrible cheap flowers on the table, and rock & roll music blasting. I ask the waitperson why were the light up so high and he said it was new management? Luckily the food was still delicious but felt more like a food court.
- Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/17/2014The fresh pasta is delicious! They are clearly trying to cater to tourists with an "Italian" feel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 395 reviews are from the La Carbonara reviews archive.
- Very DissapointingbkfoodieDined on 7/27/2014Mediocre food. Limited menu. Terrible ambiance (drag queen on a Subday afternoon - actually). Loud music.
- Pasta dishes are a must!MorsVIPDined on 7/25/2014You must try their fresh pasta dishes, we had the pappardelle and the ravioli...excellent and literally made minutes before our dishes came out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best serviceLongshor12Dined on 7/25/2014The food was good, it has a small wine list, service was outstanding with the head waier directing traffic and paying attention to details, with a great sense of humor and very professional at the same time. He made the difference.Special Features:
- Love the Carbonara Staff!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/23/2014I took my boyfriend's family here. His mom lives in New Mexico and wanted an Italian experience. We couldn't have been happier with evening! Prices were friendly, options were plentiful. The staff went above and beyond to ensure we had a good time and stretched our dining experience to the max. Two of the people at our table ordered the prix fix menu which included appetizers and the other 2 didn't. Mama from the back sent out a bruschetta and zucchini chips on the house so none of us would be without, so generous! Thank you for making our family dinner a memorable one!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A *10* from start to finishOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/23/2014This has become a go-to place on our quarterly board trips to mid-town Manhattan. It HAS to be good to get a second trip in the culinary paradise of Manhattan... Thanks to Sammy you are Amazing ........Special Features:
- Great Find!WineNDineDined on 7/21/2014A friend and I were meeting for lunch and did not have anywhere in particular to go. I came across La Carbonara on Open Table, and I am so glad that I did! The prix-fixe lunch was $8.95, and included a salad and lunch portion entree! The food was wonderful, and I loved the wine selection! Very attentive service, and we even had a complimentary after-lunch drink of blueberry grappa! I will definitely be going back for another lunch, and now I am interested in trying it for dinner! :)Special Features:
- surprising price for dinner specialcjr2VIPDined on 7/18/2014two of us chose Carbonara to host a couple from out of town due to good service and correct pricing. We did not ask prices for specials and the guests liked the sound of the dover sole and both ordered it. We were not advised of the cost ahead of time and did not think to ask. Altho it was well prepared and delicious, We were taken aback at the $45.00 price tag!Special Features:
- Gone way downhillOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/17/2014Used to enjoy, but things have changed. Cheesier decor, cheap plastic menus and cheapo early bird per fixes. Food was just OK, but nothing memorable at all. Place had 4-5 tables full in whole place but still waiter service was abysmal. He was either on the phone or nowhere to be seen. Then he would walk back and forth to the kitchen and never look up. Ever. Had to literally stand up and wave and call out across the room to get his attention. Then came the 35 minute struggle to get the check after we told him we were done. Sent several busboys to tell him, another r to tell him, then...oh never mind, let's just say never again. Too bad, used to like it. Guess there is a reason it's now empty at 8 pm on a Thursday.
- love you SamuwsdinnerDined on 7/16/2014It was my birthday abd I decided to share it with my carbara family. Sam always me feel like a king and so special. The mussels were the best I have ever hadSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great value for casual diningcjr2VIPDined on 7/12/2014the attentive service is most welcome and food and wine just fine.... keep up the good work, folks...Special Features:
- Go-To Brunch SpotextremebrunchingDined on 6/29/2014We have been coming here frequently since a friend of ours began hosting Saturday and Sunday brunch parties here. Not only do they have bottomless mimosas for $20, but they really keep them coming for up to two hours! The music is pulsing and the diners are always entertaining. Around 4PM, the inebriated brunchers start dancing around the restaurant, doing "shows". Not the place if you are looking for a quiet morning spot, but if you like a brunch party, this is the place for you!Special Features:
- Attentive ServiceMMFoodieDined on 6/14/2014I've eaten dinner here five or six times, with one friend, with my husband and with small groups. The new owner is very attentive. Before there was only a hostess who odd little more than take you to a table. The other night I couldn't decide on a wine and the new owner Sam personally brought me one tast after another until he was sure I was happy. While he was busy he stopped by to make sure my friend and I were enjoying our dinner and to chat. He made us feel very welcome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- happy to report new managementcjr2VIPDined on 6/6/2014the $15.95 2 course prix fixe is a great joy ......glad to see they are back on track!Special Features:
- A real gem !!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/5/2014Every single person there went above and beyond to give some of the most unbelievable customer service as possible. Gave great recommendations for wine - we absolutely loved our Nero d'avola bottle. The owner read the specials to us for the night while they gave us complimentary bruschetta and grilled zucchini. We thoroughly enjoyed the fresh oysters and Buffalo mozzarella to start. We shared the special lobster ravioli which was unbelievable. My boyfriend had the special lamb shank and I had the grilled shrimp with stuffed seafood. They were absolutely amazing. Everything came out with a timely manner and there was never a point that I had to think that my wine glass or water glass was empty. They were extremely attentive the entire nightSpecial Features:
- A step above the restOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/4/2014Good solid food, great atmosphere but the service is what distinguishes this restaurant. They delivered 5 star service from start to finish. They don't bring a menu until you've had a chance to order a drink and appetizer. They bring a second tablecloth and roll it out after dinner before dessert. Impeccable love the complimentary After dinner drinks keep up !!!!!!!Special Features:
- Incredible TimemicrodriguezDined on 6/1/2014I came for brunch last Sunday (6/1) with some friends and we had an great time. There was a drag show going on and it was definitely fun entertainment. Mina the DJ was very good at feeling out the crowd and enough can't be said about the staff. Alejandro especially made sure that our drinks were always fill. This is my 3rd time at the restaurant and it definitely wont be the last!Special Features:
- Great meal and great valueOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/31/2014I was there with a dinner companion for an early-ish dinner. The restaurant was not very crowded, and it remained so for most of the evening. The physical setting is comfortable and space is ample. Service was very attentive, and the food was excellent. The calamari was fresh and crisp. We had the specials (veal and snapper) which were both delicious. We were treated to complimentary bruschetta and after-dinner drinks. Prices were very reasonable (specials, as usual in most places, were priced quite a bit higher than the regular menu items). We were not rushed at all. I will definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great valueHunryjackie1VIPDined on 5/13/2014The pre-fixe is great value the waiters are very helpful fun place to go toSpecial Features:
- a bad night?cjr2VIPDined on 4/23/2014been coming to this neighborhood restaurant for years and while never great always acceptable...my fresh pasta with clams was awful... large chewy cherrystones and pasta like glue...waiter explained gluey because of egg in pasta...then dont use this pasta with clams! wiater brought another dish with just olive oil and garlic, but it was still gluey! companion had pasta with tomato and eggplant ...all tasteless. shape up carbonara...we miss the good old days!
- A great place for a good time!AlexBrazilDined on 4/13/2014It is up to you, if you want a fun brunch, La Carbonara is great. Good music and a very funny drag queen! But if you want a romantic or quiet meal, La Carbonara is great at night time. Food has been very good and service is great. Love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We are from San Diego, thisOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/10/2014We are from San Diego, this is our forth visit. It was recommend by a local friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love itLaurenVIPDined on 4/5/2014One of my favorite Italian restaurants in the city. Only downside is its on 14th st but once you're inside the ambiance is great.Special Features:
- we were treated very welljackDined on 3/26/2014we were treated very well and enjoyed the birthday celebration.Special Features:
- Yummy, reasonable ItalianfmbnycDined on 3/24/2014Not my first time here. The food seems to get better every time. Definitely try the oven roasted leeks with goat cheese appetizer. Delicious!! Decent wine list and friendly service. Much more crowded train usual; glad we made a reservation as one doesn't seem required usually. There were two large parties going on this particular night, so the space was noisier than what I'm used to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Satisfied!ControlitDined on 3/19/2014This was my third time back to La Carbonara and as usual I was very satisfied. The food is fresh, tasty and does not disappoint. I live not far from the restaurant but didnt know if it until a friend who just moved to New York, started asking strangers in the street to recommend a good Italian Restaurant! I hung my head in shame as I explained "she just moved here"..I then made fun of my friend for bothering strangers with really lame questions and 'we don't do that here'...Of course the restaurant happened to be amazing and I've been eating there and my words ever since!Special Features:
- Brunch With Logan HardcoreOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/16/2014I went with a couple of friends because I heard Logan was performing there. Not only was Logan extremely entertaining as always, but the food and drinks were great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible place for brunchfitzyDined on 3/2/2014I'm all for drag queens and disco lights, but not when I choose to go to a quaint Italian joint in the West Village for brunch - the show didn't suit the venue, the music was far too loud and even the wait staff seemed uncomfortable with what was going on.. it just didn't make sense... I would try the place again for dinner during the week, perhaps..
- A friend on a hectic streetOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/1/2014I adore this place for the service, food and atmosphere, a true gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming neighborhood restaurantMarleneMDined on 3/1/2014A friend and I went here for an early dinner on a Saturday night. The ambiance was warm and friendly, and the food was very satisfying. I ordered an arugula salad and pasta with veal. The salad was very fresh, crisp, and perfectly dressed. The pasta was cooked well and the veal was tender with a lovely deep stewed flavor. While we waited for our food we were served bread with what I believe was a bean dip, and after dinner the waiter brought a plate of delicious cookies. I would highly recommend this restaurant for its comfortable surroundings and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.