La Caraquena Latin American Cuisine
300 W. Broad Street
Falls Church, VA 22046Neighborhood:
Latin AmericanPrice: $30 and under
La Caraquena Latin American Cuisine
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lacaraquena.com/
- Phone: 7035330076x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday & Wednesday - Sunday 12:00pm - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday & Wednesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Venezuelan, South American
- Executive Chef: Raul A. Claros
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Cocktails, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wine
A word from La Caraquena Latin American Cuisine
At La Caraqueña, the taste of Latin America is alive in every dish. Chef and owner, Raul Claros, shares his heritage by combining over 20 years of family recipes with the authencity that comes from his travels through Latin America.Continued
This is comfort food served in a relaxed atmosphere where our guests can experience the best in Latin American cuisine and culture.
This is comfort food served in a relaxed atmosphere where our guests can experience the best in Latin American cuisine and culture.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
La Caraquena Latin American Cuisine reviews from OpenTable diners
41 reviews since July 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (30)fit for foodies (19)great for outdoor dining (13)great for lunch (11)special occasion (7)kid-friendly (7)romantic (6)late-night find (3)hot spot (2)great for brunch (1)good for groups (1)Show More
- Small portions, high pricesTericoDined on 10/15/20142nd time visited. First time about 3 year ago or so. Left disappointed & hungry. Paid $15 or so for two small arepas. I recently returned at the invitation of a friend. The service was good. Had Pabellon ($16) and it was very good. But, the price in relation to the moderate portion of main dish and dessert was very high. The ingredients for most dishes in the menu are inexpensive and the cooking is fairly simple.
- Nice dinnerTraCruDined on 9/28/2014The service, food, and atmosphere made for a wonderful birthday dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Treasure!RachandBobsReviewDined on 9/27/2014We love the comfortable and clean atmosphere in this quaint treasure, and the service was spectacular! Our first choice was from the arepas menu and was called JP's favorite. It was excellent! We also shared Yuca Frita, a superb choice. For lunch we split the El Sabroso sandwich which came with French fries and it too was delicious. We are margarita conoisseurs and typically can't find a good margarita outside our home. Theirs were outstanding and were made with fresh squeezed lime juice and simple syrup prepared in their own kitchen. I overheard the people next to us saying how wonderful their drinks were too. One was a mojito and I'm not sure what the other one was. We can't wait to return, even though it's an hour drive for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Latin FoodMcLeanMomVIPDined on 9/11/2014Love the arepas and the black bean soup. You cannot go wrong. My friend and I lingered until closing and no one bothered us at all. (We hadn't seen each other for a long time.) Good service, good food. You can't go wrong.Special Features:
- Mojito + MealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/1/2014Neither will let you down. Time and again we are impressed with the quality of the food and beverage...nothing fancy-jsut fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hidden gemOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/30/2014i've been wanting to try this place from the reviews. finally did! it was great! all the food we ordered was delicious. the quatro leche cake was great too.
- Must try the black bean soup!KBandLMDined on 8/23/2014Consistently excellent food and exceptionally friendly staff. Raul has taken a menu of modest length and established a neighborhood must in the middle of Falls Church. Our biggest challenge is to decide whether one arepa will suffice...or whether to opt for a second and go straight home for a nap!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a lovely evening in Falls ChurchegurianDined on 8/21/2014We ordered many small plates and only one etree and it was perfect for two. Each of the plates perfectly done and presented very beautifully, I like that every person on the waitstaff waits on your depending on who is free. It is very effecient and they are all charming. The creme caramel is very special as are the plantainsSpecial Features:
- Venezuela in Falls Church!Foodie4FunDined on 8/16/2014Arrived at 8pm on a Saturday night and the dining room was empty, but the patio was packed (pleasent summer weather)! Was informed by wait staff that the big dining push was at 6:30pm, so lots of patrons had just left when we arrived. Food and service was excellent. Everything on the menu is fresh and tasty. The worst thing this restaurant has going for it is the crappy motor lodge around it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Has not failed to please!PickyDined on 7/26/2014Been going here since 2007; ate here twice a week for the 8 months we remodeled the kitchen. The food has never failed to delight, the service is always professional, and the recent remodel is amazing! This is my favorite date place with my husband.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the ArepasgoodeaterVIPDined on 7/12/2014The arepas are worth the trip here. We loved each type we tried: chicken salad, ham and cheese, carne mechada. The plantains and yuca are both well-prepared, but portions seem a bit small for the price.Special Features:
- Great New RenovationVelendineDined on 7/3/2014The new renovation looks great! The new seating is far more comfortable and the updates to the decor are a significant upgrade. I never really cared about the decor because the food was so amazing, but the new decor makes the experience that much better.Special Features:
- The following 463 reviews are from the La Caraquena Latin American Cuisine reviews archive.
- Delicious!fdwgDined on 7/3/2014Husband and I really enjoyed our dinner. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- AwesomeGatorNationDined on 6/21/2014The food was outstanding! Been twice and have not found anything on the menu I didn't like!Special Features:
- Delicious!SteakisgoodVIPDined on 6/20/2014Truly delicious! We ate outside but it's on the corner of two busy streets so next time, i'd opt to sit inside because it looked quaint. We tried a lot of different things, including the most popular appetizers (yuca, plantains and something with cheese inside), and then we all had variations of the National Venzualian dish. Food was outstanding! We went there because we saw it on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives with Guy Fieri and our whole tab for 4 people would have been a lot less without the 2 drinks each we had, but it was worth it. Food prices are very reasonable, but definitely not diner/dive prices. Go there, you won't be disappointed!Special Features:
- Great RestaruantAnnaOMGYumDined on 6/18/2014I always love visiting La Caraquena. Last week I visited it for my birthday and it didn't disappoint. The food is on point :)Special Features:
- Good but not greatFCLocalDined on 6/6/2014We went in with pretty high expectations based on the Washington Post review. Sadly, I forgot that Tom Sietsema had given poor marks to the tilapia/shrimp combo, and I selected that as my entree. The shrimp had no flavor, and the lemon-caper sauce was ok but not exciting enough to compensate. The tilapia seasoning would have been great had there been less of it. Bites of the fish were so salty that they bordered on inedible. My husband had the pabellon completo as his entree and said it was alright. On the plus side, I thought the peanut soup was excellent. And the arepa we had as an appetizer made us wish we had just ordered a couple of those as our entrees. Glad we tried it but probably wouldn't go out of our way to do it again.
- Mixed emotionsQueenHoney4Dined on 5/31/2014I was a little disappointed with the overall experience. The music changed from 1 min. to the next between 90's hip hop and 90's latin music. The food price was a little steep. I'm not sure I would come back again for the price it has. I've been to South Florida and arepas do not cost that much. My kids normally eat 2 arepas easily... but with a price of $8.99/arepa - I had to let them snack on my meal after they were done with their 1 (one). My meal, Pabellon, tasted more like bbq style american pulled beef then carne mechada - should be able to taste all the fine ingredients of aji dulce (banana peppers) garlic, onions, tomatoes, bell peppers (green/red/yellow) adobo - it didn't taste the same. Will wait to make it at home.Special Features:
- Another Wonderful Meal!CharlestonFanDined on 5/25/2014We'd been away too long. This is a gem. One of our favorite restaurants in the area. FANTASTIC service, great food and fabulous prices especially given the food quality. The chicken salad arepa is excellent...so good we can't not order it to try other things. Drinks are excellent and wine list though limited is well matched to the food. Steak is good as are both chicken preparations and the shrimp. Good desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love itMRdinningDined on 5/24/2014Very good food and nice service... Since they opened up their doors the food has been excellent and customer service is very warm and kind.. Keep up the good jobSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, worth the tripOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/24/2014After seeing La Caraquena on DDD, we've been looking forward to eating there. Food and service was great. We chose to sit outside as the noise level inside was too loud. If you choose to side outside jeep in mind the patio side on Board Street so there road traffic to contend with; it still was better on Memorial Day weekend outside. Definitely will go there again and treat friends to there wonder full food. Need to try the Arepas next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/17/2014When you walk in to La Caraquena, you are welcomed like family. There's an informal but energetic vibe, and you know right away that the food is going to be good. Authentic Venezuelan dishes (especially the unique "arepas") and well crafted classic cocktails make this the perfect local spot for a casual dinner with friends or a night out with the kids. And sometimes you can even get a personal salsa dancing lesson from the charming owner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Latin flavors in Falls Church CityleQueenVIPDined on 5/16/2014Although we live just down the street, this was our first visit to La Caraquena for dinner. We were happy to have missed the early dinner rush that was apparently partly spurred by Food Network re-running the 2010 episode of "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives," and we were seated inside right away. For an appetizer, we split an arepa and then we each ordered an entree. I had the Pabellon Criollo, and my fiancee had the Pollo La Carequena. He prefers white meat to the leg that was served, but still seemed to enjoy the moist chicken and BBQ-style sauce. The restaurant also has a patio for dining when the weather is nice. It's quite popular, so an OpenTable reservation is quite helpful.Special Features:
- fun with pretty good foodcasualdiner9Dined on 5/14/2014enjoyed the energetic salsa lesson, Food was pretty good. Service was friendly. Great Margarita.Special Features:
- Delicious Venezuelan Foodrolo76Dined on 5/14/2014I dined again at la Caraque~na and was very pleased. The Venzuelan arepas we tried were very delicious as was the fried yucca. For the main course I had the Pabellon Completo con Baranda. I was thinking this dish would be something like the Colombian "bandeja paisa" and it had some similarities, but was also different. This dish had delicious pulled beef, perfectly prepared white rice, avocado slices, black beans, and an egg sunny side up on top of the rice. The portion size was also reasonable, and not so much that I couldn't save room for dessert. To top off the meal, I had 4 leches, which is a variant of the tres leches dessert many have tried. The version I had here was delicious and I recoomend it.Special Features:
- We love it!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/12/2014I would definitively come back to this restaurant. The location is not very convenient but the food and the service is really great. Don't hesitate to ask for the "tequeñones" that are ful of cheese!!! Yumyyy
- True Venezuelan foodVenezuelan2heartDined on 5/11/2014My husband and I love this place, we come all the way from gainesvilles and every time food is deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- limitedfoodfindsDined on 5/10/2014Menu limited to variations of 1 meat dish & a fish dish. Have had better Latin American food that was less pricey. Savi ngs grace was their excellent service. FSpecial Features:
- Great Food, Relaxed AtmosphereDonBacDined on 5/7/2014We enjoyed our meal at La Caraquena immensely. The food was excellent and came quickly, delivered with a smile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality Food with Good ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/5/2014The service staff was very friendly, combined with the small size and location making us feel like the restaurant was a neighborhood gem. Relatively quiet dining experience with a good size patio adding extra space to an otherwise small restaurant (although it was raining when we were there). The food was good and there were quite a few authentic or otherwise unique Latin American dishes that we did not recognize - the Lomo a La Plancha and the Lomo Borracho were both excellent, although they were out of mashed potatoes and had to substitute.Special Features:
- pennsgrooverVIPDined on 5/3/2014We'd been wanting to try La Caraquena ever since the Diners, Drive-ins and Dives episode a few years back. It did not disappoint! The food and drinks were terrific, the staff very accommodating. Well worth the drive from Bethesda!Special Features:
- Great Arepas!goodfoodfollowerDined on 5/3/2014We had a very enjoyable dinner at La Caraquena last weekend. Especially good -- all the arepas. Big chunks of chicken, full of flavor, wonderful cornmeal -- cooked just right. Well seasoned beans and rice. The only dishes we had that were not outstanding were the beef dishes. All very tasty but the meat was a little too tough and chewy to be perfect, even the steak cooked medium was tough to chew. That's the only reason I don't give this place an outstanding for food. I would go again and order the arepas as a main course.Special Features:
- Pabellon CriolloLWoodDined on 4/19/2014I don't need the menu anymore because I always order the same thing. Why mess with greatness? 1) Order a beer, 2) order the Pabellon Criollo, 3) enjoy your meal. It is spectacular - every single time.Special Features:
- Success hasn't gone to their headORDlayoverVIPDined on 4/5/2014It seems to be the case that great reviews and lots of publicity can be the kiss of death for a small restaurant. Not for La Caraquena. The quality of the food and the attentiveness of the wait-staff has not diminished in the least over the years. Owner, Raul Claros, is visible and vigilant in preserving the experience at his very special restaurant that's well on its way to becoming a classic.Special Features:
- Latin American FlairArlingtonDinerVIPDined on 4/5/2014This was our first time at La Caraquena, a well-kept secret in Falls Church city. It was kind of strange to enter from the parking lot of a motel, but once inside, the tiny space reminded us of some small restaurants we've been to in Latin America. The food was quite authentic and very good. The wine list is short, but the prices are reasonable. We had excellent service, although, surprisingly, the wait staff didn't speak Spanish. The atmosphere was friendly and lively, with tables squeezed very close together. It was a fun place to go, and we will return.Special Features:
- Great Food, Local FeelDannnnyDined on 3/24/2014This was just a pleasant experience. Don't go in expecting a five star experience. The food is delicious and the wait staff friendly. It is a great place to go if you want an affordable meal and have a drink or two. I would recommend getting the Arepa's and ordering 2 as an entree instead of a sandwich on the menu. I will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The weathermanOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/22/2014Due to quickly falling temperatures, the patio quickly lost its appeal and the demise of the extra seating seemed to be fraying the nerves of the waitstaff. However they were very accommodating when they could be, and despite the slightly slower service, the food was worth it. Looking forward to nicer weather and Mojitos!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Been there before, but...RedwinewolfDined on 3/22/2014My wife and I had been there about a year ago and loved it. We've been meaning to get back ever since. This time week took our two sons. Everything was great through the apps. Then we had to wait 30 minutes until the main course. At first we just received the kids sandwiches. And we thought they just had to go back for our. Five minutes later they bring my wife's dish. She ordered the steak med- rare, it came back so well she couldn't cut through it! We sent it back. My meal came after the kids were done, and her second order placed, - it was pulled beef, rice, and beans. But too salty. I started to get salty! We got out as fast as we could. We'll be telling stories about this for awhile - and laughing. But not in a good way.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceGoodfood123Dined on 3/21/2014The arepas were delicious!!!! Grilled may be healthier but you have to get them fried! Also, the service was fantastic! Our waitress was very helpful and friendly. We are definitely going back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fourth time we have been backBruiserpDined on 3/16/2014Fourth time we have been back and always good. Seemingly plain dishes are wonderfully tasty. Venezuelan food with E. European service and it works well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.