653 9th Avenue
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://lacarafenyc.com/
- Phone: 2123335300
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, French
- Executive Chef: Al Rineh
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Piped music, T.V
A word from La Carafe
French Mediterranean cuisine, La Carafe has full service bar, with an extensive all around the world wine list. Free Wi Fi, TVContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
La Carafe reviews from OpenTable diners
29 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (16)fit for foodies (8)great for lunch (7)notable wine list (4)late-night find (4)romantic (3)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (2)good for groups (2)special occasion (1)scenic view (1)hot spot (1)vibrant bar scene (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- food great, service excellentjulieVIPDined on 9/13/2014We took friends of ours and my 23 year-old daughter and her friend too. Everyone enjoyed it and the service was wonderful. At the end of the meal they gave us a complimentary bottle of champagne and though it was not Dom Perignon, it was quite good! We will definitely return; it is an excellent pre-theatre choice but i would go anytime!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice little place with french touchcjr2VIPDined on 9/11/2014interesting menu with correct pricing....and very reasonable long happy hour....nice alternative for broadway theatre going...food a bit too salty otherwise nice and fresh ...worth the visit.Special Features:
- great pre theaterdedeDined on 8/30/2014not too expensive very good food wait staff very attentive great for pre theaterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre theater MealSallyDined on 8/30/2014Great Value. We had the pre fix meal and it was very good. Lots of food (3 courses for $20.99) The service was good, but the bathroom ( only one )was very slow. Ended up washing my hands in the sink at the bar. Bartender was great.
- Pre-theater diningOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/28/2014We enjoyed a quick pre-theatre dinner. The staff was accommodating and friendly. I was disappointed only in the Chicken Beignets - they were really chicken tenders.Special Features:
- foodieafficianadoDined on 8/27/2014Food was delicious. Well prepared, nicely presented and reasonably priced. We enjoyed every morsel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable eveningjrjrDined on 8/16/2014My choosy little brother, who lives in the neighborhood and has tried his fair share of restaurants, said "I usually order a steak to-go from [another place nearby] when I get home late from work - now I will order it from here!" My mother, who nearly always finds something lacking with the service anywhere we eat, found both the waiter and the hostess "positively charming!" I was happy to have found, for once, a restaurant that everyone enjoyed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/13/2014Strange place put out as French, but had bolognese and other very non-French in the menu. The veal was excellant that I had, bolognese was very pedestrian. Others in party barely finished their food.
- EWHelenDined on 7/31/2014Went with a party of 5. Everyone enjoyed their food and thought the restaurant wasa good value. The only problem was that one of the dinners went unordered and the server had to be reminded that it was missing. The owner was very pleasant and we all agreed we'd be back again. Great location for the theatre.Special Features:
- good for pre-theatrededeDined on 7/26/2014excellent mussels always have a good meal pre-theatre house wine is fine.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/5/2014What a find!! Best service we've had in NYC! Charming atmosphere, food was very good but the staff really made the experience. We will definitely be returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Two In a RowJGCTDined on 6/21/2014We ate at La Carafe a last Tuesday and then again this Sunday with different friends. We ordered quite differently each time. We were eminently satisfied each time with the presentation, the taste and the ambience of this restaurant. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Wine was GoodJGCTDined on 6/17/2014We had a broad range of appetizers and small plates. They were each distinctive. They were each tasty and well presented. The only item that was not superior was the Mojito one of us ordered. Mine are better. Of course a mixed drink in a wine bar is silly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok foodilesinaVIPDined on 6/10/2014We got fried calamari & the spicy scallops as appetizers- both a bit bland, scallops not spicy at all. Entrees were better but nothing out of this world. The grilled salmon was good. The pot of mussels seemed to be a popular dish- comes with a side & a glass of wine for $19, not a bad deal. Service was ok- i had my bowl for seafood shells removed quickly which i likes but not replaced, and i was not done shelling out my food so i had to ask for another one. The lunch specials looked decent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 123 reviews are from the La Carafe reviews archive.
- Good food but very poor serviceakshVIPDined on 5/24/2014It looks like the restaurant is in a cost-cutting mode...there was only one waitress looking after the whole restaurant. We ordered the unlimited drinks option for the brunch and it took her 30 minutes to bring the first glass! Maybe a trick not to give too many drinks?? We ordered some tapas to start with and instead of coming first, everything arrived at the same time together with the main course! Very poor experience... Fortunately the food tasted good. Also, they have no high chairs so keep that in mind if you have infants.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the effortIluvnyDined on 5/14/2014We had to hunt down this tiny spot and what a disappointment! It was an ok looking restaurant but it didn't have much to offer food wise. The service was fine but slightly off key. Not everyone spoke to us. The Caesar salad was good . The escargot were weird. The shrimp beignets were just fine. The wine was pretty good. That describes the entire experience. Nothing out of the ordinary
- We always come back hereDianePVIPDined on 5/6/2014I happened upon La Carafe a few years ago in search of a place for quick drinks and apps before a show, and I keep going back. The small plates are delicious. A few portions, like the spicy scallops and shrimp beignets, could be a little bigger, but most others are reasonable in size. And the calamari is great -- crispy and not greasy or rubbery! Dinner selections are very good, esp the pasta dishes. Nice wine selection and decent pours. The staff may not be as attentive when the place get busy, but they do their best and are always courteous. One of my faves in Hell's Kitchen.Special Features:
- Enjoyed it very muchvgirl745Dined on 5/1/2014Staff was very attentive. Many choices in food. Something for everyone. Everyone enjoyed the food. Would absolutely return againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceevie646Dined on 4/27/2014We were held up and arrived late, but I called to explain our delay, and we were greeted warmly and told the delay was not a problem. The food was delicious, and we especially enjoyed the desserts. Our waitress, Tonya, was adorable, and despite looking very young, was a real pro who gave us spot-on recommendations and took care of us completely without being intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Place!LauraDined on 4/5/2014I found this wonderful restaurant on the internet. It was perfect for dining before going to a show. Everyone was friendly, the service was fabulous and the food was great. We ordered small plates to share. I will definitely go back. It's a great find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local gemavivac75VIPDined on 4/1/2014This is a return visit. Each time I come.. with friends.. we have a tasty meal, some of which comes with wine.. good service, good value, great locationSpecial Features:
- Have visited La Carafe manyBCBXDined on 3/30/2014Have visited La Carafe many times. It always pleases. Ideal for a pre-theatre weekend brunch or after-show supper. I recommend it highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/28/2014We had a variety of small plates - it was delicious!Special Features:
- Moderately priced, excellentgrownupVIPDined on 3/15/2014Moderately priced, excellent service, and overall a good deal.Special Features:
- Nice FindPipeboyDined on 3/6/2014I loved the space, upon entering we were immediately met with a warm welcome, our table was ready but we were also offered getting drinks at the bar. There was a fabulous wine selection, and we able to sample before deciding on a choice. The food is what we were looking for, lamb lollipops are worth going back for alone, musssels very nice and deserts were delish and a nice finish to the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedNYCFoodieDined on 3/3/2014I chose this restaurant for it's location and pre fixe dinner option. I regret bringing three of my close friends for dinner. One friend had to send her glass of wine back because it tasted like it was corked. Another sent her very watery soup back. Servers brought the wrong food to our table three times, including someone else's leftovers. When the wrong entree arrived, and we asked that it be corrected, the food runner didn't apologize and slammed the replaced plate on the table when he returned. His behavior came across as very rude. Overall, the food (when the food we actually ordered arrived) was mediocre. Our waitress was friendly, and the quality of the food was certainly not her fault. I will not return to this restaurant.
- We went there for Valentine'sOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/14/2014We went there for Valentine's Day dinner, and La Carafe far exceeded our expectations. It's French, but not stiffly formal as at really expensive, glitzy French establishments. The service was attentive and friendly, the food was very good and, for a New York restaurant, the prices were very reasonable. The restaurant has bare brick walls and subdued lighting that give it an Old World ambiance. We thought it was perfect for a Valentine's Day celebration. It's a moderate-sized space, so it probably is a good idea to have a reservation on weekend evenings. We'd certainly go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gift certificateTvr410Dined on 2/8/2014Had a gift certificate......not really impressed with food. Service was very good...attentive and energetic.Special Features:
- The friends I ate with enjoyedOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 1/30/2014The friends I ate with enjoyed their burger and shrimp dishes; however the mussels I had were unseasoned and undercooked. Not how I like my seafood!
- Great BrunchSusanneDined on 1/26/2014We came to New York for a Broadway Show and decided to try La Carafes Brunch Special. We were not disappointed!! It truly is the best deal in the city! We'll come back again soon! Our waiter was lovely and the service was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- La CarafeGeeGeeVIPDined on 1/23/2014Bartender is great. Very nice and makes you always feel welcomed. Always interactive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were very disappointedJaniceDined on 12/21/2013We were very disappointed in LaCarafe. The French fries tasted as if they were frozen, the steak portion was small. The escargot was acceptable but not great. We had to beg for bread. We would not return to this restaurant.
- a neighborhood gemavivac75VIPDined on 12/19/2013I keep returning to La Carafe... excellent location midtown, good value, good food, pleasant atmosphere and service, excellent winesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real cafeLaureenDined on 12/11/2013A most enjoyable evening. The food was delicious and served hot. Certainly we'll worth the moderate pricing. The only blemish of the evening was the plastic menues.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great causal pre-theater dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 12/7/2013This is an nice, casual restaurant. Great for a pre-theater dinner.I would recommend this to a friend.
- C'est Magnifique!!oldaggie51Dined on 12/7/2013We discovered this place on line, and decided to take a chance sight unseen. A peak experience in every respect. Terrific streak pommes frites, perfect wine. Warm, welcoming, intimate service-- we felt we were guests of our host.Special Features:
- great musselsdedeDined on 11/22/2013terrific place pre-theatre never had a bad experience here good value the mussels are terrificSpecial Features:
- Hells Kitchen GemKMo1VIPDined on 11/19/2013We have been here before and continue to go back. Prices are reasonable - they have great specials - and their Frittes are delicious whether with mussels or steak! The service is great and the staff so friendly. We continue to come back here whenever we are in this area of the city.Special Features:
- Loud and ColdOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/9/2013The food was okay for the price, but the environment left a lot to be desired. It was very cramped and loud, and they seated us right next to the door, and then the hostess kept the door wide open, which gave us frequent blasts of frigid air sometimes with cigarette smoke mixed in. Not very considerate service.
- Great food and serviceAdamRDined on 11/4/2013We dined there after the NYC marathon. The food was great and the service was amazing. Will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.