653 9th Avenue
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://lacarafenyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 333-5300
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, French
- Executive Chef: Al Rineh
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Piped music, T.V
A word from La Carafe
French Mediterranean cuisine, La Carafe has full service bar, with an extensive all around the world wine list. Free Wi Fi, TVContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
La Carafe reviews from OpenTable diners
43 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (24)great for lunch (9)fit for foodies (8)late-night find (8)romantic (6)great for brunch (5)good for groups (5)notable wine list (4)special occasion (3)kid-friendly (2)vibrant bar scene (2)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/22/2014The owner is the most charming woman that you could ever meetSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed bagPastaloverVIPDined on 11/22/2014We were a party of two with reservations at 5:30pm. We were greeted warmly and seated at a table for 4. The service was attentive until the restaurant started to fill up.This is a small place and patrons were packed in.The food was good but when we were on dessert we asked for a refil on one cup of coffee. We were eventually bought 2 cups. We were billed for 2 extra coffees.Also we had some personal belongings on a spare chair.we were suprised when the waitress tried to take the chair and the extra table to seat another group.We were almost done.I felt they could have waited another few minutes until we got up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine for neighbors to drop inUptownScribeVIPDined on 11/19/2014It's rustic but that doesn't mean it's Provençal cozy. I ate skewers of shrimp for an entree. Though there were many on the skewer they were small and tasteless. We shared a large cheese platter between two of us, at the recommendation of the server. We love cheese but couldn't come close to finishing the plate. Who wants to waste cheese? It's an odd place. Categorized as French, but I don't know about that.
- Nice lunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/5/2014This is a great place for a pre-theater lunch. We tried the assortment of ten small dishes to share. each and every one was delicious! The waiter could not have been more helpful or more pleasant, adding to the nice experience. Definitely would do again, and would recommend to friends!Special Features:
- I'll Have Another, Pleaseczechmate1954Dined on 11/4/2014Carafe is small in space but so big in affability and atmosphere. We were welcomed from the moment we walked in to this lovely French restaurant. There were only about six other people in the space, which is small to begin with. So my colleague and I had time to talk comfortably and enjoy some delicious drinks before dinner --- an apple martini that tasted as if it was just off the tree! The service was always attentive, and yet never hovering. They paid attention to us and understood when we might need something. The food was delicious and in very big portions. A bottle of wine was reasonably priced. The desserts was simple and delicious also. Plain and simple: a great time for a moderate amount of money.Special Features:
- Just what we neededHVKsOnTourDined on 10/28/2014Lovely little spot near our hotel. Food was good and service very quick. Although not an extensive wine list, the choice was good.Special Features:
- small but enjoyablenightoutDined on 10/24/2014small place had the app tasting & it was great! small place had the app tasting & it was great! small place had the app tasting & it was great!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worked Out WellTheaterCrowdDined on 9/26/2014Needed a last minute reservation with out of town visitors before a show. Loud table due to traffic outside but food was quick, deals on mini-carafe wines are good, and food is solid enough to impress guests. Some say service is slow but they really just give you space, and are quick if you look like you want attention.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food great, service excellentjulieVIPDined on 9/13/2014We took friends of ours and my 23 year-old daughter and her friend too. Everyone enjoyed it and the service was wonderful. At the end of the meal they gave us a complimentary bottle of champagne and though it was not Dom Perignon, it was quite good! We will definitely return; it is an excellent pre-theatre choice but i would go anytime!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice little place with french touchcjr2VIPDined on 9/11/2014interesting menu with correct pricing....and very reasonable long happy hour....nice alternative for broadway theatre going...food a bit too salty otherwise nice and fresh ...worth the visit.Special Features:
- great pre theaterdedeDined on 8/30/2014not too expensive very good food wait staff very attentive great for pre theaterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre theater MealSallyDined on 8/30/2014Great Value. We had the pre fix meal and it was very good. Lots of food (3 courses for $20.99) The service was good, but the bathroom ( only one )was very slow. Ended up washing my hands in the sink at the bar. Bartender was great.
- Pre-theater diningOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/28/2014We enjoyed a quick pre-theatre dinner. The staff was accommodating and friendly. I was disappointed only in the Chicken Beignets - they were really chicken tenders.Special Features:
- foodieafficianadoVIPDined on 8/27/2014Food was delicious. Well prepared, nicely presented and reasonably priced. We enjoyed every morsel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable eveningjrjrDined on 8/16/2014My choosy little brother, who lives in the neighborhood and has tried his fair share of restaurants, said "I usually order a steak to-go from [another place nearby] when I get home late from work - now I will order it from here!" My mother, who nearly always finds something lacking with the service anywhere we eat, found both the waiter and the hostess "positively charming!" I was happy to have found, for once, a restaurant that everyone enjoyed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NOISY!JBeeDined on 8/13/2014I love this restaurant but frankly the noise is eardrum blasting and I'm not sure I will return.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/13/2014Strange place put out as French, but had bolognese and other very non-French in the menu. The veal was excellant that I had, bolognese was very pedestrian. Others in party barely finished their food.
- EWHelenDined on 7/31/2014Went with a party of 5. Everyone enjoyed their food and thought the restaurant wasa good value. The only problem was that one of the dinners went unordered and the server had to be reminded that it was missing. The owner was very pleasant and we all agreed we'd be back again. Great location for the theatre.Special Features:
- The following 128 reviews are from the La Carafe reviews archive.
- good for pre-theatrededeDined on 7/26/2014excellent mussels always have a good meal pre-theatre house wine is fine.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/5/2014What a find!! Best service we've had in NYC! Charming atmosphere, food was very good but the staff really made the experience. We will definitely be returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Two In a RowJGCTDined on 6/21/2014We ate at La Carafe a last Tuesday and then again this Sunday with different friends. We ordered quite differently each time. We were eminently satisfied each time with the presentation, the taste and the ambience of this restaurant. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Wine was GoodJGCTDined on 6/17/2014We had a broad range of appetizers and small plates. They were each distinctive. They were each tasty and well presented. The only item that was not superior was the Mojito one of us ordered. Mine are better. Of course a mixed drink in a wine bar is silly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok foodilesinaVIPDined on 6/10/2014We got fried calamari & the spicy scallops as appetizers- both a bit bland, scallops not spicy at all. Entrees were better but nothing out of this world. The grilled salmon was good. The pot of mussels seemed to be a popular dish- comes with a side & a glass of wine for $19, not a bad deal. Service was ok- i had my bowl for seafood shells removed quickly which i likes but not replaced, and i was not done shelling out my food so i had to ask for another one. The lunch specials looked decent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but very poor serviceakshVIPDined on 5/24/2014It looks like the restaurant is in a cost-cutting mode...there was only one waitress looking after the whole restaurant. We ordered the unlimited drinks option for the brunch and it took her 30 minutes to bring the first glass! Maybe a trick not to give too many drinks?? We ordered some tapas to start with and instead of coming first, everything arrived at the same time together with the main course! Very poor experience... Fortunately the food tasted good. Also, they have no high chairs so keep that in mind if you have infants.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the effortIluvnyDined on 5/14/2014We had to hunt down this tiny spot and what a disappointment! It was an ok looking restaurant but it didn't have much to offer food wise. The service was fine but slightly off key. Not everyone spoke to us. The Caesar salad was good . The escargot were weird. The shrimp beignets were just fine. The wine was pretty good. That describes the entire experience. Nothing out of the ordinary
- We always come back hereDianePVIPDined on 5/6/2014I happened upon La Carafe a few years ago in search of a place for quick drinks and apps before a show, and I keep going back. The small plates are delicious. A few portions, like the spicy scallops and shrimp beignets, could be a little bigger, but most others are reasonable in size. And the calamari is great -- crispy and not greasy or rubbery! Dinner selections are very good, esp the pasta dishes. Nice wine selection and decent pours. The staff may not be as attentive when the place get busy, but they do their best and are always courteous. One of my faves in Hell's Kitchen.Special Features:
- Enjoyed it very muchvgirl745Dined on 5/1/2014Staff was very attentive. Many choices in food. Something for everyone. Everyone enjoyed the food. Would absolutely return againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceevie646Dined on 4/27/2014We were held up and arrived late, but I called to explain our delay, and we were greeted warmly and told the delay was not a problem. The food was delicious, and we especially enjoyed the desserts. Our waitress, Tonya, was adorable, and despite looking very young, was a real pro who gave us spot-on recommendations and took care of us completely without being intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Place!LauraDined on 4/5/2014I found this wonderful restaurant on the internet. It was perfect for dining before going to a show. Everyone was friendly, the service was fabulous and the food was great. We ordered small plates to share. I will definitely go back. It's a great find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local gemavivac75VIPDined on 4/1/2014This is a return visit. Each time I come.. with friends.. we have a tasty meal, some of which comes with wine.. good service, good value, great locationSpecial Features:
- Have visited La Carafe manyBCBXDined on 3/30/2014Have visited La Carafe many times. It always pleases. Ideal for a pre-theatre weekend brunch or after-show supper. I recommend it highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/28/2014We had a variety of small plates - it was delicious!Special Features:
- Moderately priced, excellentgrownupVIPDined on 3/15/2014Moderately priced, excellent service, and overall a good deal.Special Features:
- Nice FindPipeboyDined on 3/6/2014I loved the space, upon entering we were immediately met with a warm welcome, our table was ready but we were also offered getting drinks at the bar. There was a fabulous wine selection, and we able to sample before deciding on a choice. The food is what we were looking for, lamb lollipops are worth going back for alone, musssels very nice and deserts were delish and a nice finish to the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedNYCFoodieDined on 3/3/2014I chose this restaurant for it's location and pre fixe dinner option. I regret bringing three of my close friends for dinner. One friend had to send her glass of wine back because it tasted like it was corked. Another sent her very watery soup back. Servers brought the wrong food to our table three times, including someone else's leftovers. When the wrong entree arrived, and we asked that it be corrected, the food runner didn't apologize and slammed the replaced plate on the table when he returned. His behavior came across as very rude. Overall, the food (when the food we actually ordered arrived) was mediocre. Our waitress was friendly, and the quality of the food was certainly not her fault. I will not return to this restaurant.
- We went there for Valentine'sOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/14/2014We went there for Valentine's Day dinner, and La Carafe far exceeded our expectations. It's French, but not stiffly formal as at really expensive, glitzy French establishments. The service was attentive and friendly, the food was very good and, for a New York restaurant, the prices were very reasonable. The restaurant has bare brick walls and subdued lighting that give it an Old World ambiance. We thought it was perfect for a Valentine's Day celebration. It's a moderate-sized space, so it probably is a good idea to have a reservation on weekend evenings. We'd certainly go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gift certificateTvr410VIPDined on 2/8/2014Had a gift certificate......not really impressed with food. Service was very good...attentive and energetic.Special Features:
- The friends I ate with enjoyedOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 1/30/2014The friends I ate with enjoyed their burger and shrimp dishes; however the mussels I had were unseasoned and undercooked. Not how I like my seafood!
- Great BrunchSusanneDined on 1/26/2014We came to New York for a Broadway Show and decided to try La Carafes Brunch Special. We were not disappointed!! It truly is the best deal in the city! We'll come back again soon! Our waiter was lovely and the service was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- La CarafeGeeGeeVIPDined on 1/23/2014Bartender is great. Very nice and makes you always feel welcomed. Always interactive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.