508 State Street
Salem, OR 97301Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.lacapitalesalem.com/
- Phone: 503-585-1975
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm, Saturday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Ricardo Antunez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact the restaurant for more details.
A word from La Capitale
French food, wine & craft beer fans alike visit La Capitale in Salem's historic downtown. La Capitale is named in honor of it's location near the capitol building in Oregon's capitol city of Salem.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
La Capitale reviews from OpenTable diners
- Great dinerLUCKYDINERDined on 3/8/2014The food was terrific and our waiter very attentive to our requests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfectly hot!smuhnzDined on 2/15/2014Our drinks, seasoned almonds, lovely caesar salad - all quite delicious but it was my seared salmon with ratatouille and caper cream that arrived hot, luscious and tender. Very memorable for our 16th wedding anniversary, thank you La Capitale !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Post Valintine's dinnerLeisuredinnerDined on 2/15/2014Searted on time; busy night at the restaurant, slight confusion on table responsibility but corrected by hostess. This was our second visit and the food was excellent.Special Features:
- Well-locatedluv23VIPDined on 2/15/2014We had tickets for a performance at a fine arts venue and it was just steps away from the restaurant so it was very convenient. Our food was very good, but apparently the restaurant had not anticipated the crowd because the bar was so backed up that we received our drinks in the middle of our dinner.Special Features:
- We were so disappointed ...OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/15/2014I have eaten at LaCapitale a number of times in the past, both for lunch and dinner with no complaints. The food was good and the service was certainly adequate. On our last visit, however, we received terible service. When the service is bad it doesn't really matter how good the food is. We had been seated more that 25 minutes without having our drink orders taken....this despite telling servers walking by our table no less than three times that we were attending a show and needed to get moving. Our food orders came after we had been there 50 minutes. At that point there wasn't time to enjoy it, and I never DID get a chance to order a drink.
- pleasant lunchmaxYYDined on 2/15/2014My friend and I were out to find a new eatery to celebrate her birthday. We arrived for an early lunch on a Saturday. It was nearly deserted which allowed choice of seating at least. Our wait staff were all very cheerful and attending. The small plates were perfect for what we wanted. We enjoyed roasted beets and goat cheese bread but the gem was the meatless French onion soup. As a vegetarian, a real treat. Wonderful flavor. To top the meal for birthday was the banana creme brulee. Yum. Later that evening we noticed they were full. I might add too, your view is of some of the beautiful older buildings in downtown Salem. I would recommend this to any friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Valentine's ChoiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2014Everything was nice - from the lighting, to the decor, to the great service. I would recommend this restaurant for dinner, if you have time to sit for a bit - which, thankfully, was the case for my wife and I. The food did take a bit to prepare and get to the table. If you are in a hurry, this probably wouldn't be the best choice. Overall, a pleasant evening and we will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/14/2014Great spot for Valetines Day dinner. Small plates and nice bar too boot.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood bistroKingryangDined on 2/14/2014This place has a diverse menu, not snobby, but not mundane. I would venture to say that there is something for everyone. Great place for a date or special occasion. I went with my wife for valentines day and we were both very happy. You will have to make reservations for a special occasion like valentines day because the restaurant is not large. This is a great place for a nice date with the spouse or a special occasion. Will hopefully be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls night outOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/30/2014Great food, the roasted Brussels sprouts appetizer was fabulous. Lot of "fun" foods. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Polar opposite of "fast-food"M2theTDined on 12/30/2013What La Capitale had as opposed to a quick or fast food place: - Servers who remember to ask whether there is a preferred serving sequence of your order (soup before quiche, for example). - "Sit down, stay a while" ambiance even when the place is full. - Detailed and clear menu that allows some modifications/substitutions. - Going there makes for a worthwhile story once you come back to work from lunch, this is a place you want to point to and say "I've dined there". - A plaque hanging above entrance to the banquet room pays homage to the history of the building in a way that matches the brasserie interior but is so very inseparably Salem at the same time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We tried La Capitale for ourJPWorschDined on 12/13/2013We tried La Capitale for our anniversary. I asked for a quiet, romantic (this IS a French restaurant, no?) and we were initially led to a table in the far room with no one else there, the lighting was blinding - certainly not romantic. For a Friday night, the restaurant was not very busy - should have been our first clue. Won't go back - typical "Salem" wanna be. We'll go to Portland for REAL experience.
- Nice Night OutLocalfoodieDined on 12/13/2013We had a tasty dinner. The chicken was tender and the steak was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic foodNixlplixDined on 12/12/2013My wife and I ate here for the first time on our first wedding anniversary. We were very happy with our choice! While it isn't what I would call romantic (no secluded booths...tables along wall run together), the food and service were fantastic. We went on a Thursday night and were the only ones there, so I don't know what they are like when they are actually busy. We both had the Duck Con fit, which was amazing. For such an apparently small dish, it took us awhile to eat because it was so rich (a good thing!). The cheese board was very tasty. For dessert we shared a Banana Creme Brulee, which was very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We came for a birthday lunch.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/20/2013We came for a birthday lunch. It was nice to have the restaurant be open earlier to meet our schedule. I loved the online reservations too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, attentive servicedinerDined on 11/6/2013We wanted a nice dinner but had limited time. Our waiter was understanding and did everything she could to make sure we had our meal quickly but did not rush us. Thanks to her, we even had time for a delicious dessert and still made it to our play. The food was very good; as the waiter explained, all dishes are based on fresh, local products. We want to return soon and have the time to explore the creative list of cocktails. .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was very disappointingPraveenDined on 10/25/2013It was very disappointing compared to previous experience there. The food was not as good as previous visits. The restaurant was too cold and service was poor.
- Nice eclectic menu. ReasonablyNooneVIPDined on 10/25/2013Nice eclectic menu. Reasonably priced. Super friendly and knowledgeable serversSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Off its game..DFCof3Dined on 10/17/2013We have always enjoyed dining at La Capital. This time the service tended to be slow on serving, but in a rush to take our plates. Also the menu use to be more "inventive" and now seems to be routine for frequent patrons.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was fair. Water wasbirthdayDined on 10/17/2013Service was fair. Water was always refilled, but our waitress seemed to disappear. Took long time to take order. Food was fair. Halibut sandwich seemed like a fish patty from a fast food place--very round and fried. Pumpkin soup was very bland. Lentils were undercooked. Just not as I have had there before. Mentioned in reservation it was my daughter's birthday, but no mention was made when we were there.Special Features:
- The bread was way to hard.Attorney08Dined on 10/5/2013The bread was way to hard. the roof of my mouth is still cut up :( Dinner was great! But even if you say the bread was too hard, the server will tell you that "this is how it's supposed to be". My friends and I have had crostinis before, and it didn't make our teeth hurt.Special Features:
- Great foodmlasherDined on 10/4/2013Wonderful food choices. French bistro with a twist.Special Features:
- The service was excellent.mkbucDined on 9/24/2013The service was excellent. Just the right amount of waitress intervention but not too much. The wine recommended was the perfect match to our meal. The meal excellent. We were there for our anniversary and would have liked a more private table, but other than that, a great place to dineSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OKOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2013We are regulars. Too quite for a Friday night. My lamb was tasty if a little sparse. My wife's cod was way under cooked. Maybe the regular chief was on vacation.Special Features:
- Maybe I Had High Expectations?OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/8/2013I was excited to try duck; I had had one bite elsewhere and thought it was really good. My dish at La Capitale seemed really small, dry, and not very tasty. I returned it and got sweet corn soup instead. The soup was very good. My friends' dishes were pretty good, pork and steak/fries. It was a little expensive considering the result, but it would be fine if it was really tasty!Special Features:
- Impeccable food & service.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/2/2013Impeccable food & service. Thanks for another wonderful meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Um?jaclacDined on 7/20/2013My wife and I have been wanting to check out this restaurant for some time now, but we were a little let down by the dinner entrees. The food was not up to the level of their reputation. The beer was good and so were the fries. We thought that this would be a good spot for that kind of stuff from now on. For the kind of reputation they have, I believe that they could step up and start producing some quality food that tastes fresh and exciting, give people a reason to recommend such a place. I guess I was expecting Wow, but I got Whoa....Special Features:
- Great Date NIght Meal!JohnDined on 7/20/2013We had a great meal at La Capitale! Service was attentive. Drinks were great. Only issue was food delivery order as salads came out after main course. We had a small outdoor table so that might have been the issue but had a very nice meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/15/2013Hello, I have been to La Capitale a number of times and always been very happy with service and food. This time I was very disappointed with the presentation of the food and the temperature of the cooked items. Usually food presentation is wonderful at your restaurant. This time the quiche and salad looked like they had been slapped down any ol' how and brought out in a rush. The quiche was tepid at best, not warm/hot as it usually is. The lemon tart was cracked and, again, the presentation was hap hazard and hurried looking. While the food tasted good, I was very disappointed in how it looked, especially since I brought out of town guests and wanted them to be impressed ;-/! I will return, but I hope all will be better in future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty options for vegetarian/veganNobodyDined on 6/22/2013The menu has a lot of fish and meat on it, but the meatless appetizers, soups, and salads can add up to a delicious vegan meal as well. Every single dish was interesting and appealing. Very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service & food at La CapitalemmmmDined on 6/6/2013Our first but not last visit was marked by great service and delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day PerfectionBabbieZDined on 5/12/2013Our experience at La Capitale was delightful. It was a righteous location for my mother's day visit with family. We had a quiet privacy that allowed us to visit in a perfect conversational tone we could have only matched at home, but the setting and service made it a great dining-out experience. Our food was outstanding; I had the Duck Hash and found it to be exactly what duck hash should be. Each ingredient complimenting the others, eggs, deliciously done to order, the potatoes perfectly cooked and crispy, the duck rich and tender and the pesto, a luscious balancing element in the dish. The Salted Caramel dessert we shared was scrumptious and the wine list, outstanding. Our waiter was cordial, helpful and added immensely to our occasion.Special Features:
- Delicious Dinner at La CapitaleOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/13/2013Best food in Salem. Inventive, locally grown, delicious.Special Features:
- Bar Magic!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/12/2013We sit at the Bar because we love to watch the Mixologist work his magic!Special Features:
- Absolutely delightful in everyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/12/2013Absolutely delightful in every way!! Great birthday celebration at Le Capitale with special friends! Enjoyed everything!! Thank you!!Special Features:
- gem in downtown SalemOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/4/2013We chose La Capitale on the recommendation of friends since we were going to be in Salem on our 42nd anniversary. They were lovely to us, and we enjoyed the food and service tremendously.Special Features:
- The food was very good, especiallyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/29/2013The food was very good, especially the potato chip appetizer. The spiced rum by Rob was very good. The restaurant was quiet and we lingered afterwards. It was a nice spot to talk and enjoy a good meal.
- The food was fabulous andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/22/2013The food was fabulous and the wait staff was exceptional. We were in a hurry to get to a concert and she really tried to accomodate our time frame and managed to get us out of there on time. She gave some helpful menu suggestions, one of which I tried, and it was very, very good! I would order it again. I was slightly disappointed to find there was not a single Riesling offered on the wine list.Special Features:
- Check this Out!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/22/2013Met here for an important business lunch. Very attentive service, fantastic menu with lots of carefully made local food. Service was quick even though they were pretty full that day.Special Features:
- Had lunch with a group ofOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/19/2013Had lunch with a group of people, but not all meals were served at the same time.Special Features: