489 Third Street
San Francisco, CA 94107Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.labriciola-sf.com/
- Phone: (415) 512-0300
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Mon-Fri 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday-Monday 5:30pm - 10:00pm; Friday-Saturday 5-10:30
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, European, Italian
- Executive Chef: Gian Luca Toschi
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: We have a semi-private room that can accommodate up to 25 guests. In addition, we can accommodate larger parties in our main dining room. Please contact us to plan your event here!
- Private Party Contact: Rhiannon 415-512-0300
A word from La Briciola
Authentic Italian restaurant located in the heart of SOMA. Enjoy Northern Italian food in a cozy & intimate environment. We specialize in Tuscan and Piedmontese cuisine, serving a variety of home-made pastas in addition to traditional dishes Dalla Terra & Dal Mare.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
La Briciola reviews from OpenTable diners
56 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (41)romantic (24)fit for foodies (22)good for groups (18)special occasion (15)notable wine list (13)great for lunch (6)late-night find (3)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Wow, great find!Raybo22Dined on 11/1/2014After perusing through open table Italian restaurant reviews, I found this menu and wine list for my wife's 44th birthday....we arrived with 2 friends at the appointed time and the maiter'd found us a great table....the menu is phenomenal and very deep in Italian roots....we tried 6 appetizers and they were all fabulous, their pastas were wonderful and by the time we even thought about a main course, we were full! Desserts were off teh charts, and the homemade limoncello was the icing on the cake! The wait staff was so very attentive and really made us feel special! My Italian is "ok" and we had fun conversing with the staff in Italian....such a great night, we will be back for sure!Special Features:
- ExcellentslipDined on 11/1/2014Briciola was a surprising find SOM. The food was excellent. We each had a pasta (tagliatella con cace & pepe) and liked each one. The wait staff was outstanding, friendly, helpful. The environment was pleasant, relaxing, and not loud, a definite plus these days. I thought one of the better Italian restaurants in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great first experience CaliforniaPetraDined on 11/1/2014We had a special dinner planned for a first night on vacation. We had a birthday and 5 college kids. The staff, the owner, the kitchen were very accommodating. Our guests were not all sophisticated diners, but were helped through the experience. They all enjoyed the night immensely. We also enjoyed everything. If we lived in San Francisco we would be regulars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Attentive, attention & attractiveOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/31/2014From the moment we walked in our evening at La Briciola was destined to be a dining experience rather than just another meal. The food was very good. As I ate my meal it was somewhere between , "Mmm, this is so good!" to, " This reminds me of something my grandmother would've made." We walked from our hotel in Union Square to this unassuming storefront in the middle of nowhere. It took 18 minutes. But once inside we felt like we'd been transported to a fine restaurant at Piazza Navona, the guests of the Italian Prime Minister. So the food was delicious, the service was fabulous and then, to top it off? When the bill came we almost forgot we were in San Francisco - what a value! What a gem! Try to resist the bread!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian food in SOMAEricVDined on 10/26/2014I went for dinner with my Fiancee and a friend I hadn't seen in a year. I was looking for a place where we can enjoy good food, drink some wine and definitely cath up. I'm glad I found La Bricciola. The place was great!!! The ambiance was adequate, noise level mininal (we were able to talk without having to scream). Service was excellent. The menu include classic italian dishes. We had Octupus as appetizer and it was delicious! I strongly recommend this place for anyone who looks for an excellent dinning experience.Special Features:
- Quality Italian Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/18/2014Authentic Northern Italian food with very attentive serviceSpecial Features:
- Our first date spot...NVVegVIPDined on 10/12/2014But that's not why we will always eat here when in San Francisco. The food is amazing and the services could NOT be any better! I ate here a lot when I lived a few blocks away and the owner would kindly run out to my car and fearlessly give my dog food. I always have trouble deciding what to order...plenty of vegetarian options, but so many selections beyond that. Everything we have had has been wonderful and this is truly one of my all time favorite places to eat.Special Features:
- Great place if y'know what you wantSujitPalDined on 9/29/2014The service and food is great. However, the menu titles are in Italian so people ended up looking for familiar words and ordering that. I got lucky because I ordered the same thing as someone else who is a regular there, but most of the others in the group were a bit disappointed with what they got. Overall the place is great, the food (at least my food) was delicious and our waiter really took care of us.Special Features:
- Good find for convention goers.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014Walked over from Moscone center. Nice neighborhood. Quaint restaurant with good food. Worked well for group lunch on Tuesday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wine and Pasta Star hereBeachyGalVIPDined on 9/13/2014We were well received here by the very Italian proprietors- flashed me back to Italia watching their animated conversation at the reception stand. The menu offers some enticing if not terribly innovative dishes. The pasta special was a good, toothy tagliatelle but the pecorino sauce was lacking that sheepy, salty punch for such a simple dish to really shine. The carpaccio was nicely done but my dining partners ate most of it, alas. The weakest aspect of the menu was in secondi- my lamb was far from the requested rare. The peppercorn sauce was kind of mundane and only relieved the lamb from its dryness. The waiter made great wine recommendations so this raises their score in my book. Worth a visit if you are in the SoMa/3rd St area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SRQfoodieVIPDined on 9/12/2014Well prepared food; not just before/after AT&T events. Good as any NY Italian restaurant. Service is outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/11/2014While La Briciola is one of my favorite places and it usually doesn't disappoint, this time, it missed (for me). My dining companion had the swordfish that was excellent, fresh and cooked just right. I had the rabbit. The cut did not seem to be done by a professional butcher as there were small bones in the sauce. Though it was tasty, the sauce overpowered (in quantity and taste), the tender taste of the rabbit. The meat fell off the bones which is an indication that it was braised too long. Next time, it'll be pasta or gnocchi for me, which La Briciola does so well.Special Features:
- Delicious!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/10/2014Some of the best Italian food in The City. It's almost as if I was back in Italy.Special Features:
- An Excellent FindRamblerVIPDined on 9/7/2014Heading to the ball park or the Yerba Buena district? I recommend La Briciola. On a Sunday evening it was quiet and pleasant. Portions were generous, the food was delicious, and the service was attentive. While it is on a major thoroughfare, it feels "tucked away." A gem.Special Features:
- 8-31-14SFAdventureDined on 8/31/2014We went here for dinner our last night in San Francisco.The food was good, with fresh pastas and large portions. Service was attentive, but not smothering. We had a very private table in a nook in the front of the restaurant near the sidewalk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014The food was great! Ample proportions. Wine was very good! Great ambiance and very romantic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great authentic Neighborhood spotcloudy1VIPDined on 8/25/2014A must for dining in a quiet place with great foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find in Somakenmin5VIPDined on 8/22/2014This to our delight was one of the best meals and most reasonable after eating at quite expensive other locations. The food was everything our waiter said it would be and better bSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as expectedVHung08VIPDined on 8/21/2014I've been here many times but this time the food was not as good as I remember. The ravioli was not as chewy and the sauce did not add enough flavor
- Old Country ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/21/2014The outside does not reflect the quality of what is inside. One in our party spoke Italian to the server, and our evening was off to a great start. The food was excellent and service was the same.Special Features:
- Great experienceOlivierMDined on 8/10/2014We were 14 and the service was impecable. The food was tasty and refined. We had a visiting Italian in the group and he was very happy with his meal. Need to say more ?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bland with a touch of bitterness...AlexismynewBFFDined on 8/9/2014I posted this on Yelp and the owner Alex S. responded with personal insults. So I thought I'd share it here too. The food was mediocre at best. Uninspired and unoriginal menu, I'm shocked it has so many positive reviews. Vegetables looked and tasted like they came frozen in a bag. Cannelloni (crepe? I was told it was a crepe but I'm still not convinced) filling looked like it came out of a blender and was meant for baby food. Tomato sauce was watery and tasted like it was from a can. Very weird mix of people (not good weird, just awkward weird). Perhaps if you don't go out to eat often and are in town for a Giants game this will pass for a "fancy" dining experience. Otherwise, avoid.
- Good SOMA locationGrnMtnsDined on 8/5/2014Food was fine, not remarkable. Service good. Food came promptly. Good location for a nice meal before going to AT&T park. I'd go there again and expect to leave satisfied but not excited.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place near ATTAlfieDined on 8/5/2014This is a good place to stop by before an ATT park concert or ball game. Much more relaxed than the crowded places closely. Tasty food choices. Good service.Special Features:
- We keep coming backrudysfDined on 8/3/2014This is one of our favorite restaurants. Great food! Great Service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 530 reviews are from the La Briciola reviews archive.
- Wonderful Pasta, A Great FindStampwifeDined on 7/26/2014I come from a big Italian family and rarely am pleased with the pasta in US Italian restaurants but I was very pleased with this lovely little restaurant. The service was terrific, the bread was the best we had in 5 SF dinners, the pasta was delicious and cooked just right. We will make it a point to go back anytime we visit SF!! Make a reservation and enjoy!Special Features:
- Completely disappointedBmxfoodieDined on 7/24/2014I saw this restaurant on yelp and decided to try it with my boyfriend after work for dinner. The only good part about the restaurant was the environment which was very quiet and calming. However, the food was a complete disappointment. I ordered the seafood risotto that consisted of squid ink, squid, and scallops. When the dish came out, it was very clear to me that the texture did not resemble a risotto at all. It tasted like they literally took rice and poured the squid ink over it... Awful. Also, the risotto consisted of only two small pieces of scallops. The dish was basically just rice. My boyfriend was equally as disappointed in the dish. We are definitely not going to recommend this place to our friends
- Delicious!SH1234Dined on 7/13/2014We had a party of 8 and everyone thought their dish was excellent. I had the Ravioli stuffed with ricotta and spinach. They were light and flavorful and the sauce was a perfect compliment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic home made pasta!LazyflamingoDined on 7/7/2014Warm welcome, friendly & professional service and delicious home made pastas and sauces! Recommended a very nice (and inexpensive) wine to accompany our dinner, and the Zuppa Contadina (tomato broth, chick peas, italian sausage and broccoli rabe) was one of the best soups I've ever had. Already reserved again for this weekend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT!italiangemVIPDined on 7/4/2014found this place on Open Table and took a chance: It was worth it! In an unlikely location (3rd St) we found this gem. I'll go back and take friends!Special Features:
- Fresh ideasJB100VIPDined on 7/4/2014Finally, a restaurant that offers something a little different! I had the seafood lasagna with swordfish, salmon and scallops. Delicious! Each of the four of us tried something different. The only disappointment was the scarcity of eggplant in the eggplant pasta dish. Overall, wonderful evening with excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too Much SaltPlanetOfTheGrapesDined on 7/1/2014Although the restaurant was mostly empty, we were seated next to a large, noisy party, and had to ask to be reseated. Both my date and I had (different) salads that we didn't finish. The dressing on mine tasted like olive oil with tons of salt. My date's salad was a large bowl of greens with 1 TINY cherry tomato cut in half. He commented that the only thing on his salad was oil. (No parmesan, no pepper, no herbs.) The gnocchi special was okay (I split them with my date, and he shared his chicken with me), but the veggies that came with the chicken were COATED in salt and were inedible.) We did not stay for dessert. The only part of the meal I would recommend is the dipping oil served with the bread. It was great!
- Great dinner!!DinnerVIPDined on 6/26/2014Excellent pastas. Wonderful homemade flavors. The buratta cheese for an appetizer was incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average ItalianbelzschDined on 6/24/2014Average Italian food, with a focus on seafood. Nice wine list with Italian wines. Ambience is OK. Not too bad, but not spectacular either.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Now a favoriteGreatVIPDined on 6/21/2014There are just so many fine restaurants in San Francisco that choosing one for a weekend dinner becomes very difficult. But after our second visit here, this is now one of our go-to favorites. The vitello valdestano was excellent as was the chicken, but finishing them after the excellent charcuterie board (Le Briciola has an italian name for iy) became difficult. The service is attentive, quiet and non-intrusive. The wines are excellent and not expensive, and the panna cotta desert was excellent as well. We really enjoyed iy again and now we will most certainly return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/13/2014Overall, the food and the service were very good. The two pasta dishes that we shared (the taglitelli with porcini mushrooms and black truffles & sea bass ravioli) were outstanding. The arugula salad was also quite good.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/8/2014Service and ambiance were excellent. Food was good.Special Features:
- Nice Neighborhood find!JanBDined on 6/7/2014We stayed at the Intercontinental and needed a place on the way to AT & T Park for dinner. What a nice find for the 4 of us! Great service, excellent food and wine. They seated us in the window and it was fun watching the Giants fans walk by. Will definatly return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Northern Italy in SFChicagotoSanFranChickDined on 6/6/2014Very impressed with quality of seafood here. Greatly reminds me of Milan, Italy. Don't go here for sloppy sauce and noodles. You might be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Ball Park dining find!Flowergirl53Dined on 5/26/2014After a Monday day game my husband and I were looking for a great place to eat near AT&T Park. We found a delightful place in La Briciola. The food was delicious and the service friendly and attentive. We had the salumi plate which was outstanding. The olives and peppers had an incredible flavor. The bread is not to be missed. My husband had minestrone and it was full of fresh vegetables and very flavorful. I had the filet with black truffles and it was tender and delicious. My husband had halibut and the ravioli with lobster sauce. We were so thrilled to find a new place to go after games and can't wait to share this place with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.