124 Broadway St.
Somerville, MA 01245Neighborhood:
ContinentalPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.labrasasomerville.com/
- Phone: (617) 764-1412
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am - 3:30pm;
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 10:00pm,
Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm;
Late Night: Tuseday - Saturday: 10:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental
- Executive Chef: Daniel Bojorquez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Entertainment: Live music every Sunday from 2pm-5pm by the B3 Kings
- Special Events: Stay tuned to our website and social media for special events!
A word from La Brasa
Chef Daniel Bojorquez and Chef Frank McClelland are excited to open La Brasa in Spring 2014. The food at La Brasa has culinary influences rooted in the same countries as many of the residents of East Somerville: Mexico, Peru, the Middle East to name a few. The heart of La Brasa is the wood on which this food will be cooked. Most people associate the smells of a wood-burning stove and an open fire with family, friends, and community.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
La Brasa reviews from OpenTable diners
136 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (99)neighborhood gem (86)good for groups (77)hot spot (59)special occasion (30)vibrant bar scene (28)romantic (15)late-night find (13)kid-friendly (10)great for brunch (9)notable wine list (9)great for lunch (5)Show More
- A menu designed for sharingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/21/2014I enjoyed the food, and really like being able to sample a number of different plates. Each plate arrives from the kitchen as it is ready, so it is a menu designed for sharing. We added a couple more plates as the evening progressed. Our server was excellent, made great suggestions and I never felt rushed. It is a bit loud. We arrived at 6:30 on a Friday night to a mostly empty restaurant, by the time we left at 8:15 it was packed. There was plenty of on street parking when I arrived.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Your Average Eating ExperienceBetsyLenoraDined on 11/16/2014The food was interesting, unique, new flavor combinations, yummy! Good choices for vegetarians and meat eaters. I recommend going in a group of 4 at least in order to share more tastes. Everyone in MY group of 4 was happy with everything we ordered. I would go again, and recommend it to my friends (already have). Bon appetite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant in surpising placeLloydVIPDined on 11/11/2014Who'd have thought it was now necessary to come to East Somerville for a great meal. La Brasa is a spectacularly good restaurant that's actually fun to go to. My friends had hanger steak, which they loved, but my juicy, tender, delicious roast leg of lamb was the supreme choice. This is as good a lamb dish as I've had anywhere. The carrots in mole sauce were great as always. The desserts included sublme butterscotch pudding and amarvelous hazel-nut ice-cream doused in espresso. East Somerville, here I come!Special Features:
- Fantastic food but needs managing!WillreturnDined on 11/8/2014The food was great and the drinks tasted great. Problems with management of wait staff were pretty bad. Everyone was super kind and pleasant but we had at least 7 people wait on us so of course it wasn't coordinated. Either we were asked the same question 5 times or were forgotten because someone assumed someone else had our order. My drink had double the ice of my wife's drink and my dinner came 10 minutes before her dinner. We still loved it and want the best for the restaurant. You don't need 30 people on the floor if tables are assigned and everyone has specific jobs. Management seems the problem. The waitstaff and hosts seemed to wonder around throughout our whole dinner. Hope you fix this but we will be back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/8/2014Everything about this restaurant was great, the prices seemed a little much for what you actually got but that's probably more my problem for not making more money.Special Features:
- Great Place in SomervillebostongirlDined on 11/8/2014We live in Somerville and it is so great to see awesome restaurants like this popping up. This place is quirky and wonderful, the kind of place people will drive to go to. We loved the décor, the bread was awesome (if not free), and our food was great. We especially liked that our server was able to make great recommendations about the menu and drinks list; so many places we go the servers haven't even tried the food! I also liked that the menu had a small number of excellent options. Overall it was great- definitely a new spot for us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a second try?ChocolateMousseDined on 11/8/2014I enjoyed the atmosphere of my first visit to La Brasa (Nov. 2014), which is somewhat loud and casual. Waitstaff couldn't have been nicer. The option to have roasted beef (pork?) carved tableside was intriguing. However, my my cod entree with couscous and saffron mussels was lackluster. My friend greatly enjoyed the hanger steak, which was a larger proportion than my cod. Desserts stood out: my flan was dense and topped with salt- maybe the best I have ever had. My friend's coconut rice pudding with ginger compote was delicious. Menu seems to change frequently, so I may return.Special Features:
- Mediocre at bestOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/1/2014Lots of anticipation, great service, pretty cool room and terrible food. For a destination location this team better up their game as doesn't compare to most of what's out there.
- Atmosphere nice - Food not so goodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/1/2014The place is very nice. I loved the atmosphere. The staff tried to be attentive. They ran out of the prime rib before 7:30pm on a Saturday night (after offering it to us as a "snack" 2x). I had informed them I was ordering the prime rib as my main course and would prefer to order when the others in my party did. The vegetables arrived about 20 minutes before the main dishes. They informed me my order of prime rib was no longer available about 5 minutes before delivering the table's other main dishes. I was very disappointed. They substituted another main, at the spur of the moment, and did not charge me, though. The rice was bland. The chicken was excellent. The beet salad lacked something. The bar is limited. The staff were gracious.
- Very good service and foodfoodforthoughtDined on 10/25/2014Delicious food made by people who love what they do, clearly. Many delicious meat dishes. Service was very good. The bread and the butter with sprinklings of vegetable ash on it were out of sight. If I could make two suggestions, add more vegetarian or fish options and also, don't charge for bread, as amazing as it is.Special Features:
- Bland foodDinerVIPDined on 10/25/2014Over hyped. The food was bland my chicken and dplings were terrible and soggy. They bring the food out as it's prepped so of you wait for the rest of your party you have cold soggy food. wine list short. Only good thing was the $6 valet (if you could catch his attention!).Special Features:
- InconsistentMaryorDined on 10/25/2014The food sounds and looks better than it tastes. Skirt steak was beautifully seasoned but almost impossible to chew. Carrots w mole were tasteless but we were expecting just the opposite. The chicken dish was very dry. The servers seemed disconnected from the food as though they just started work that day. However they were unfailingly polite and pleasant. Hope they find their groove as the food sounds really interestingSpecial Features:
- Awesome foodromkeyVIPDined on 10/25/2014Creative unpretentious food with awesome service. Always happy to have a chance to eat here.Special Features:
- OverratedSomervilleVIPDined on 10/24/2014We were unimpressed with La Brasa. The food did not deliver. The food was not flavorful. We will not be returning.
- East Somerville gemChappydinersVIPDined on 10/24/2014The experience is perfect from start to finish. The ambiance from the rustic wood tables and wildflowers in glass jars, to the shared small plates to the very friendly waitstaff and managers. From the menu, the food seemed to be all over the place, but we went with it and wasn't disappointed. We shared 4 plates of excellent dishes from the roasted carrots with mole and sesame to the saffron smoked mussels. Delicious. The market was closed, but we took a peek and it has everything a small market should have, farm fresh eggs, homemade sausage and organic milk and fresh produce. I am excited for La Brasa and the neighborhood. We look forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okAFoodExperimenterDined on 10/20/2014Saw this on the phantom gourmet and it looked amazing. In the end it was just ok. had the mexican fried rice - it's a really small portion but incredibly tasty. Phantom gourmet was right about that. Also had the prime rib that they serve tableside and it was cold; will not get that again. We had the thai fried chicken which was incredible and definitely worth going back for again. Also they had mackerel and fennel; not so good because lacked a real pop of flavor. Overall, I'd go back again for the thai fried chicken and mexican rice if I were in the neighborhood but wouldn't necessarily go out of my way to go there.Special Features:
- Good food and with a heartGeepsieDined on 10/20/2014Have been several times now. Service always personable, efficient, friendly. Food is great. Inventive, just enough zing where appropriate. Not tapas but good sharing concept. Love the Mexican fried rice and the ribeye on a cart sold by the ounce. It has become our date night place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, still working out kinksDingbatDined on 10/18/2014We made a reservation for 8:30 on a Saturday night but had to wait about 15 minutes to be seated. The food was good overall, but not entirely consistent. The Spanish mackerel and the green curry rice dish were both excellent, but the harisa skirt steak was tough and chewy. Also, the waiter forgot to bring us our menus for about ten minutes, and it was almost impossible to hear him over the background noise, even after we asked him to speak up.Special Features:
- Food outshines service--by a lot!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/18/2014We were looking forward to trying La Brasa, having heard that it was excellent. The food was excellent--an eclectic menu with some innovative flavor combinations, but service was woeful--our server admitted to being new, but restaurant management should have trained her. Portion sizes were small--two quarter-sized pieces of cauliflower accompanied my roasted cod entree, which was quite delicious--but they charge extra for bread, and their by-the-glass wine pour was also less than generous. Bottom line: the food really shines, so I wouldn't dissuade anyone from coming, but I found the overall experience less than satisfying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was greatJaneVIPDined on 10/17/2014We had the carnitas taco and fry bread to start, and then the hangar steak and fried chicken thigh, and ended with the flan. All of the food was very good. I also tried the Eight Line Poem drink - very tasty as well. They also have a cart that comes around with meat by the ounce. Unfortunately, when they ran out of the special pork leg, they didn't tell us about the rib roast that was still available - we might have ordered that if we had known. I guess we'll have to try next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We want an encore at La BrasasayThatAGAINVIPDined on 10/17/2014Unpretentious, unfussy, understated excellence, unbelievably fragrant and delicious, unmatched mixed drinks (the Campari drink is amazing), and we are eager to return. The items on the menu seem familiar, but they are conceived with imagination and flavor that is superior and surprising. Definitely go and enjoySpecial Features:
- not greatlss4VIPDined on 10/17/2014I have eaten at this restaurant twice now and will not be going back. I know most people love this new hot spot, but I am not impressed with the food or the service. Complaints from the second visit-pork was served very rare and was inedible-all gristle and fat and bone and charged by the pound. I asked the waiter if the chimichurri sauce on my dish was spicy and he said no, but it was very spicy. Almost everything is served spicy-drinks included. While, I like spicy food, I was looking for one milder dish but appetizer, drink and main course were spicy. We had to complain about the quality of the pork and the restaurant substituted, but at the prices they charge, the wait staff should be able to identify spicy foods, and meat better
- cozy and tastylvd50VIPDined on 10/16/2014We went on a rainy Thursday evening, and felt immediately felt cheered when we walked in. Our friendly waitress suggested cocktails that were exactly what we wanted. We shared a bunch of dishes, and we really enjoyed everything. Our favorite was probably the Mexican fried rice. One tip: meters on the street are in operation until 8, so bring quarters!Special Features:
- Great food, amazing service.DuncanDined on 10/11/2014I have been to La Brasa twice, and always leave wanting to come back. The food is delicious, and allows for a palate-exploring extravaganza that you won't find many places. If you have a friend visiting from out of town, come here. If you are looking for a great date night restaurant, come here. If you are hoping for a delicious meal, come here. From the moment you step in the door you feel like you're the most welcome person of the evening. The staff is incredibly friendly and courteous, without being overwhelming. They seem to actually care if you have a good dining experience.Special Features:
- Excellent find!WniccoliDined on 10/10/2014We were just passing through the neighborhood, but La Brasa was an unexpected gem! Pork carnitas, carrots in molè, hangar steak, chicken and dumplings.... It was all an incredible taste experience. If we are ever back in town, La Brasa will be our first stop!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/4/2014Sat in the seats at the kitchen. Had a front row view of the hard work it takes to make delicious plates. The drinks were interesting. I recommend the Sinner. The plates we tried included the taco carnitas, mackerel, carrots in mole sauce, the pork loin sandwich with chorizo and we finished off with the flan. The staff were super friendly and the swrvice attentive. There is plenty to choose from on the menu to try something new next time when we return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really worthwhilebhappyDined on 9/30/2014The restaurant is new and exciting. The menu is varied but filled with interesting and taste choices. The staff was pleasant and accommodating. Since it was a week night, they opened the gate to their back parking lot for which we are most grateful We were four and shared our plates. Don't look down on the chicken and dumplings. Really good- as were the lamb, the harissa steak and the fish.Oh, and don't forget the carrots with the mole.Special Features:
- Genius flavorsmonkDined on 9/28/2014Best new restaurant in Somerville. Friendly, knowledgable, and attentive staff. Food was so flavorful....wonderful combinations of sweet, spicy, smooth and crunch. Very creative and unusual menu with lots of choices for carnivores and vegans. Very reasonably priced. Will make this my new neighborhood place.Special Features:
- Not impressedKaleeaterVIPDined on 9/28/2014I was really excited when originally hearing this place was coming to Somerville. Unfortunately, it did not live up to my expectations. I went for brunch recently. The decor is nice. The concept seems to have been completely stolen from Commonwealth (higher end local food with an attached market). My advice? Go to Commonwealth instead! The food was so-so, but the cocktails were terrible. It was as if the bar tended had never mixed a drink before. The market had a few things from small local producers, but mostly had things you'd find in Shaws or Stop and Shop.
- Packed with CreativityCibonistaVIPDined on 9/27/2014I have to admit that when choosing this restaurant I was a bit concerned with the small menu. I couldn't have been more wrong - this place was great! They had some off menu surprises as well that we're delicious (rib roast). The restaurant lends itself to guests ordering more and more food which was a unique experience based on the idea of sharing each plate. We got the rib roast, tacos, squid pancake, halibut, pork belly, carrots, and flan - I can't wait to go back to try the Thai fried chicken and the Swiss chard - among many other thifs that I'm sure will peak my palette!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thought I was in BrooklynOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014In a good way. Interesting, flavorful food, locavore-ish, relaxed vibe.Special Features:
- Great new spot!KrisVIPDined on 9/27/2014I really loved the vibe at La Brasa and was really impressed with the service. Great selection of items and our waiter was so helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oyster HeavenMZ55Dined on 9/23/2014Great oysters, great cocktails - even if you don't order one of their specials. Staff, including host, Jack, friendly & fun!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative Food, Amazing RiceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/21/2014We enjoyed the atmosphere and friendly environment. All of the dishes looked interesting, and the food was overall very good, but the seasonal Mexican fried rice stole the show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A GemGastronomaDined on 9/20/2014What a find! Great, Great food. We were encouraged to share and chose 2 "snacks" 2 veggies and 4 proteins (for 4 of us) plus we chose to be served some prime rib from a cart being rolled around. The meats were the most tender and flavorful I've tasted; heavenly. The veggies and snacks were also meticulously prepared with a carefully chosen palate of herbs and spices. The sauce on the lamb was like no other and we cleaned the serving plate of it. Our waiter, Alex, was our informative guide, offered us tastes of wines we were unfamiliar with, and when we noted no chocolate on the dessert menu, accommodated that craving! We understand the menu changes daily, so a repeat appearance soon is definitely a must! Cost was totally reasonable.Special Features:
- It's great!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/13/2014I love this restaurant, recently and just after it opened. Scent of a wood fired grill, casual vibe, knowledgeable wait staff, and best of all, innovative, delicious, cuisine, and an excellent wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thoroughly enjoyed myself!MedfordGalDined on 9/12/2014Food was unique and delicious, fresh and felt good about portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/7/2014I would recommend La Brasa to anyone. The food was wonderful and the service was attentive and friendly. Please check out this great restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem!lolo12Dined on 9/6/2014Bright flavors, creative pairings, and insanely succulent meat. Friendly and efficient service, plus a great vibe for a cosy dinner for two at the bar, or a lively crowd at a long high-top. A real neighborhood gem!Special Features:
- Beautiful new familiar flavors!GabeMVIPDined on 9/5/2014La Brasa brings you into a world of new flavors that feel warm and familiar. The ambiance is rustic elegance making one feel at home. As you enter the restaurant the first thing that hits you is the lovely smoke scent and your mouth begins to immediately salivate in anticipation. Chef Daniel Bojorquez has introduced great new flavors with layers of complexity while maintaining the food simple, comforting and familiar. The fried dough (empanadas) where outstanding and the fried chicken is a yum! I also loved the tacos, the pork was crispy, smokey and delicious. The service was excellent as the staff was friendly and helpful! I'm glad to have experienced this new place, it is now a new fav for moe :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.