620 Santa Monica Boulevard
Santa Monica, CA 90401Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.labottesantamonica.com/
- Phone: 3105763072
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Friday, 11:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
Dinner Daily, 5:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Wine
A word from La Botte
Elegance reigns in the sunken dining room, where subdued lighting and light cream walls complement various hues of wood reincarnated from wine barrels. The menu, influenced by Stefano De Lorenzo's Northern Italian origins includes unusual appetizers like home-cured, thinly sliced duck breast with gorgonzola dressing and sea urchin rolls with Mediterranean seabass. For entrees, there is everything from homemade ravioli with foie-gras, duck and truffle sauce to braised lamb shank with mint, roasted tomatoes, garlic and Mediterranean olives.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
La Botte reviews from OpenTable diners
- Didn't HappenPorcyVIPDined on 2/14/2014Restaurant closed doors a few weeks ago. Open Table let me down.
- CLOSED!!!!MeeeishhDined on 2/8/2014This restaurant is no longer open. Pretty much ruined our Saturday night as we showed up and there is only a piece of paper taped on the window stating the restaurant is shut down. Had to scramble to find another place to eat. Everywhere was booked except sub-par restaurants. Had a lousey meal elsewhere.
- interesting selection of food-BeachcomerDined on 2/1/2014the menu is interesting and creative- the food seems fresh and well prepared- we were a party of four- and all agreed that even on a Saturday night, a good neighborhood restaurant should be managed as well in the front as I'm sure the kitchen is- maybe it's to much to ask- but, that's why we enjoy neighborhood places for their warm, friendly, caring atmosphere- it was missing here.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timeSandygsmDined on 1/31/2014I went on the last night of Dine LA. The soup was not bad but not extraordinary, which I expected, given the reputation of La Botte. The entree portion of fish was ridiculously small. Maybe 1 oz. However, it was deliciously prepared and beautifully presented. My companion's entree was a much better portion size and flavors were extraordinary. The dessert was very good, but again, not extraordinary. The service was slow, the waitperson did not describe the various dishes well, the wine by the glass list was very limited, and the overhead recessed lighting was too bright. Also, the valets were not outside to park our car, as was advertized on their website, and there was no sign explaining that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shunned.aaaedVIPDined on 1/27/2014Not terribly satisfying. Small, uninspired menu with some basics. TWO red wines to choose from, yes two. We were completely appalled being 1 of 3 tables, that the chef/owner came out and spoke to each table except us. Maybe because we were two guys? Regardless, the waiter was very hard to understand with broken Spanglish, but provided efficient service. Sorry, not returning. Maybe there's a reason no one's dining here?
- Birthday DinnerMugibooVIPDined on 1/25/2014We went to this restaurant for my best friend's birthday dinner last Saturday. She and I had been to the restaurant several times in the past and have had pleasant experiences. Everything was fine until the fire alarm went off towards the end of our meal. As we scrambled out, the waitress forgot to give us the rest of the birthday cake that we had at the end of dinner. Since the cake was the birthday girl's favorite cake, I really wanted her to have the rest of the cake to take home. We called the next day when the restaurant opened, and they had already thrown out the cake. Since we had specifically asked for the leftover cake and they had forgotten it, we were very sad. Otherwise, the experience was positive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time DinerFrequentGuest1VIPDined on 1/24/2014Food was exceptional and well presented. Atmosphere was below average. The overhead lighting was bright and harsh; it might be best if there is lower light in the restaurant. Also the music that was playing combined with the glaring lighting affected the feel of the place.Special Features:
- disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/23/2014food was mediocre at best. definitely not worth the expense.
- Disappointing experience dispuiteOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/19/2014Disappointing experience dispuite reading many great reviews. Overpriced for what it offers. Food just didn't taste that good. I wonder why they display a Michelin star on their entrance wall.
- Fire alarm sounded, continuedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/19/2014A fire alarm went off as we walked in and continued for fifteen minutes -- apparently any alarm in the building sounds in the restaurant. The staff shrugged, customers were inconvenienced. Food is quite good, but somewhat overpriced. Quiet when the alarm wasn't clanging.
- Finally, a quiet restaurant!QuietVIPDined on 1/18/2014We come here once or twice a year when traveling in LA. La Botte is lovely, quiet and convenient. The food is inventive and tasty and the service is first-rate. Our only complaint: The wine list is EXPENSIVE!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinner with WifeGuttmanDined on 1/18/2014Just had a first time Great Dinner with my wife here, and food was exceptional and so was service. Will certainly be back. GuttmanSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedrobbygirlVIPDined on 1/18/2014Although both pasta dishes we ordered were delicious, the portion sizes were very small. When i saw the size of the salads we just stuck to pasta. I was also not going to pay 34 dollars for a child size portion of branzino. They were not busy at all on a saturday night. The service although friendly seemed robotic and detached. Oh, and the bread was cold and tasted like it was packaged and processed.
- Overall it was a very goodKosueVIPDined on 1/11/2014Overall it was a very good experience and I would recommend it (and go back) except that the prices were too high for the quality.
- Just like in Italy and moreSt8nVIPDined on 1/2/2014The service and food are excellent! The prefixed menu was exquisite and the wine selection superb. Chef Stefano comes to your table and is very approachable. Bravo. Grazie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good but left you wanting moreMaryamVIPDined on 12/31/2013This place was good all around, but I had questions about portion size on some dishes. This seems consistent with other reviews. We were pleased with the quality and taste, but were still hungry after our entrees. I can appreciate quality and general smaller portion size of fine dining but the pasta dish, which was delicious, was more of an appetizer. I would go again, but I won't go too hungry as not to go broke. Food is very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had High HopessteakloverVIPDined on 12/31/2013Kudos to the chef who prepared some tasty food, but all that was spoiled by the inattentive, slow, unresponsive service at this place. Place was barely half full when we got there and things got ugly for newly arriving customers who walked out due to no service after 10-15 minutes of waiting. Overall, not what I would expect for place of this caliber and I will not be returning, especially after having counted on a 6:30pm early New Year's Eve dinner. Can'
- Tiny tastesfoodforthoughtDined on 12/24/2013The food was very good although the menu was limited. The low noise level was refreshing, the service attentive, and the ambience was both relaxed while elegant. While I expected the prices to be high, all of us in our group found the portions--especially the appetizers, soups, and dessert-- quite surprisingly small. Therefore I felt the meal was over-priced and would only recommend this restaurant for special occasions, and best not to be too hungry before going.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy!trickydDined on 12/17/2013The food was amazing and the service was excellent. From start to finish we had an fabulous meal. I had the trout special (I want to go back before they are all out). It the most wonderful flavors. The service is wonderful and the everyone is friendly. Love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!AaaaDined on 12/9/2013I'm not a huge fan of most Italian food in the US, but La Botte tastes just like Italy. Amazing and very friendly place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Where's the food?LarryVIPDined on 12/7/2013The 4 of us were seated immediately in the beautiful dining room. The dishes on the menu sounded amazing and tasted even better. There was one problem, as good as the food was, there was almost nothing on the plate. I am a small eater and frequently my wife and I share 3 dishes and don't clean the plates. She ordered a pasta and I an entree, shared a salad and ordered dessert but when we left, I could have eaten the whole meal again. 4 postage stamp sized ravioli for $20.00, 3 ounces of Pork in the entree with no sides at all for $29.00. Service was excellent, presentation was artistic, prices are steep but I am happy to pay those prices, but don't make me feel insulted by the amount of food that is on my plate. We're all still hungrySpecial Features:
- Consistently GoodHowardVIPDined on 12/6/2013I have been eating at La Botte for many years. It is the first place I take visitors or colleagues. I have never had anything less than a great meal and satisfactory dining experience. The level of pride that the staff has about the place is non-diminishing. Each dish seems lovingly prepared and has a multitude of flavor experiences. I eat more slowly at La Botte, as I want to enjoy the taste of each component in the dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- QuietTombDined on 12/5/2013Went on a Thursdat evening early. We were only guests so a bit quiet and odd. Food was excellent Think the space could be more inviting and less cold w a few booths less harsh lighting Excellent wineSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Thanksgiving Eve DisappointmentfoodanistaVIPDined on 11/27/2013The only redeeming aspect of the dinner was our waiter. He suggested a lovely wine to accompany this lackluster meal. The restaurant was empty and it took quite a while for each course to be served. I blame the kitchen for that!!! My branzino was so dry with no flavor that I should have sent it back. When I made the reservation, I was really looking forward to the evening. I let them know that we were celebrating a birthday, They served a us a delightful dessert and it was on the house. Nice touch! I have no intention of ever dining there again.
- Amazing Service, very quietDinerDeMexicanoDined on 11/18/2013Decided to take a friend here to celebrate her birthday. I had no idea that the restaurant would be so quiet. So quiet, to the point that I felt like I needed to whisper in order to be respectful of other diner's experiences. Our waiter was very accommodating. Very knowledgeable of the menu and was able to ask the right questions in order to offer the right suggestion. He even provided complimentary dessert to my friends and I to help celebrate my friend's birthday which I thought was very nice of him. I'd definitely recommend again but I personally wouldn't go unless I was on a romantic date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My roasted duck was as toughCollieFlowerVIPDined on 11/14/2013My roasted duck was as tough as shoe leather. Maybe tougher. Highly recommended if your jaw needs a workout and you need to burn some calories. At least, I thought, it's hard to ruin pasta. Wrong! The gnocchi was salted to inedibility. If you're looking for a competently prepared meal, please look elsewhere!
- Amazing chef, wonderful warmOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/12/2013Amazing chef, wonderful warm service. Cannot figure out why this place isn't packed every night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb!willow71Dined on 11/6/2013Amazing food! Homemade pastas italian wines. Must try! Very quaint romantic place great date place and special occasion restaurant - or not. If you like italian food try this place out!Special Features:
- Fantastic foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/26/2013But was brightly lit like an operating room. Might explain why it was 90% empty on a Saturday night. When asked, server said they were struggling with how brightly to light the room. Hint: keep lights low, like at every successful Italian restaurant. I will go back when they start to get high marks for ambience.Special Features:
- Disappointinggrandmaof2VIPDined on 10/11/2013Has the chef changed since our last visit? There was a creamed soup and no other choice. There was not a green or spinach salad. The entrees were good. The desserts were expensive and very small in portions. We were treating friends and were disappointed.Special Features:
- Good italian foodIanHDVIPDined on 10/10/2013My friend and I ordered according to the server's suggested courses and, apart from the overly salted beef carpaccio, all the food was great. I had the special Seabass which was light and moist while my friend has the farfelle noodle with lamb. Both were greatSpecial Features:
- DisappointedBigGVIPDined on 10/10/2013I guess there is a reason that there were only 4 tables when we went to dinner (a number that did not increase). The food was very average and given the price points, it should have been much better. Service consisted of a server and a trainee, but we still did not get attention. I think the trainee was getting taught non-customer related tasks while we were eating. Why bother with La Botte when there are much better restaurants elsewhere - I actually thought of walking the block to Jack in the Box.Special Features:
- Remarkable foodconstanteaterDined on 10/2/2013We had been meaning t try this restaurant for several years and we finally went for our anniversary. It was outstanding! The service was excellent, and the restaurant was quiet and pretty. The most remarkable thing, however, was the food. I started with a lovely pureed artichoke soup with parmesan foam, and my main course, warm smoked rainbow trout fillets on a bed of wild mushrooms, was perhaps one of the best fish dished that I have ever eaten. I am surprised that this restaurant is flying under the radar. It is wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- quiet comfortable eleganceGeoffRRDined on 8/22/2013We were looking for a quiet, somewhat fancy restaurant for a long evening of conversation with with old friends, highlighted by gourmet food and great wine. And we found it at La Botte. Not super fancy or pricey, but in the $50 - $70 per person range. Delicious Italian gourmet food with definite emphasis on the meats, but a few very good dishes for the vegetarians.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian DelightFoodiesDined on 8/7/2013We found La Botte to be superb. We were staying in Santa Monica for a couple of nights on our way home to NZ. We were able to walk to the restaurant from our apartment so the location was convenient. Apart from the beautiful Italian pasta and memorable Pannacotta we had to complete our most enjoyable dining experience, we found the staff to be amazing. They were attentive, friendly and helpful without being intrusive. We would definitely recommend La Botte to our friends and if we return to Santa Monica will certainly dine there again.Special Features:
- I adore La BotteOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/28/2013We've never had a bad meal at La Botte. It's always so special and Stefano is just an amazing chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but very overpriced!Liv2eatDined on 7/27/2013The food was very good, the ambiance lovely! But the prices were way too high for the portions delivered. Would be great for an evening on somebody else's credit card!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unfortunate ExperienceFoodloversDined on 7/21/2013We went to La Botte for Dine LA and were very disappointed. The restaurant was only half filled, but it took forever for each course to arrive. The servers were wonderful, and this certainly wasn't their fault, but when the course would finally come, it would be lukewarm at best. Some of the food was quite good, but the fact that it wasn't hot took away from that. Some of the food was under seasoned, and some just wasn't good. Not sure what happened here, but our experience wasn't good at all.
- Disaster perfectkuedeDined on 7/21/2013Disaster dinner - the first four wines I chose were not available. Restaurant is unable to keep the wine list up to date. Waitress then offered a choice of dessert to make up for the wine order ordeal - just to come back to tell us that the chosen dessert in fact is not available. At this stage the dinner had become a complete joke. The food was reasonably good - but the portion of Ravioli at USD20 was tiny and we had to somewhere else to eat more food. Definitely cannot recommend this restaurant.
- Service excellent. Food inconsistenOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/20/2013Service excellent. Food inconsistent: some excellent, some mediocre