La Bonne Table
3696 5th Avenue
San Diego, CA 92103Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
La Bonne Table
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.labonnetablesd.com/
- Phone: (619) 260-8039
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm; Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Renaud Tristan
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Cocktails, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine
A word from La Bonne Table
LA BONNE TABLE is a cozy and intimate restaurant in the heart of the bustling neighborhood of Hillcrest. We serve country french food in a bistro fashion. Our menu consists of classic french dishes, a modest but excellent selection that will change with the seasons. We offer a romantic atmosphere and elegant setting, full bar and french beer on tap. Reservations are recommended as seating is very limited in this exclusive restaurant. Bon Appetit!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
La Bonne Table - Best Restaurants in Hillcrest ›
La Bonne Table reviews from OpenTable diners
35 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (30)romantic (25)fit for foodies (23)great for outdoor dining (14)special occasion (13)notable wine list (7)great for lunch (6)good for groups (5)hot spot (3)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (2)scenic view (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Encinitas coupleOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/22/2014It was worth going there just to soak in the ambiance, but not only was it so reminiscent of quaint restaurants we've been to in France- the food was amazing. Service was great and like restaurants in France our dinner was unrushed. We will definitely be going back there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A+ Food and ServiceEricWDined on 11/1/2014Everything was spectacular. Our server was very knowledgeable about the menu and wine list as well as the decor of the restaurant. I asked about the photographs on the walls and not only did he know the photographer but also had interesting tidbits about a few of the photographs. The food was on point but still very reasonably priced. The same restaurant downtown would probably charge twice as much. The restaurant was small but in a good way. They didn't over pack the space with extra tables so it was nicely quiet and romantic. You can experience the feeling they are trying to convey here in all the details.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a definite visitMinouVIPDined on 10/31/2014I am so glad I was introduced to this restaurant - it is like a gem out of a Paris neighborhood. Food, ambience, price and service were exceptional - don't miss out on the Escargot and the steak with fries were out of this world. Will be making this a regular place to go to ...Special Features:
- Good if you love French FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014I usually have no problems with French cuisine, but at this restaurant I literally found nothing at all to order other than an appetizer and salad - and the salad consisted of such bitter greens that I sent it back. I do not care for heavy foods and this restaurant served only meats, casoulets and bouillabaisse. Others in my group did find the food quite good. The restaurant is extremely small and quickly crowded. Of course it is noisy. The servers seemed to be attentive yet they continued to make mistakes, such as taking away the silverware and bread plates and not replacing either. I did like the crame brûlée....Special Features:
- MusselsMaggDined on 10/18/2014For me, the test of a good country French restaurant is the mussels. I was disappointed-not enough broth for dipping their yummy bread and not enough flavor. And I prefer thin crisp French fries rather than the fat kind of soggy fries. That said, the service was exceptional and friendly. The wine suggestion was spot on and very good. The ambiance makes me want to return and give them another try. I want to sit at that bar and sip wine and nibble on their cheese plate which my daughter ordered and liked.Special Features:
- OUI LA LAFoodie123VIPDined on 10/17/2014This place is an incredible find. I found this gem from Yelp, and this place certainly didn't disappoint. Being half French, I grew up on my mom's French cooking, so I knew what great true French food should taste like, and it certainly passed my test. While the menu is limited, all items were appealing. I had the French onion soup as a starter, mouth-watering pork shank with mashed potatoes for main course, and chocolate mousse for dessert. The prices were not cheap nor crazy expensive, and that was a great surprise. The cocktails were fabulous as well. Make reservations through open table. This place is small with limited seating. Again, try this place!!!Special Features:
- Good food and service, limited menuYamahazingVIPDined on 10/16/2014Nice place, food was good, menu is a bit limited but typical of French bistros.Special Features:
- myjumboDined on 9/24/2014the overall experience was good, service was very good, seating was not the most comfortable, food was good, it was a good small restaurant with good dishes. The onion soup I had was very good, so was the bouillabaisse, my wife's duck confit was just average, my sister's steak was very good, our desserts were very good. I will be back in the future to try more dishes.Special Features:
- Authentic French foodJoeOVIPDined on 9/22/2014Nice addition to the neighborhood. Friendly staff and very good service. Limited menu selection but all very good. The hanger steak was delicious and prepared perfectly. Perfect ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with friendsSDFoodieVIPDined on 9/22/2014This is a cute French bistro. This is a nice couples dinner or a date night place. The food for our time was very good. I just wish I had ordered something else. But I will be back. My entrée just could not compare to a similar dish I had in France, so it is not really their fault. I tasted other's dishes and they were scrumptious. The cheese appetizer and escargot appetizer are yummy!Special Features:
- A Good FindryboDined on 9/22/2014We had generous servings of excellent food: Onion soup, Salmon pate, Steak Frites, Chocalat mousse, and strawberry tart. Truly a good find. This is an intimate venue so it might not be good for large groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- our new spotnejnejVIPDined on 9/19/2014Fabulous new little place, loved everything about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Moules were tender, plump succulent8outagainVIPDined on 9/16/2014Moules were tender, plump and succulent (best ever!) , plus great frit, good wineby the glass choices and efficient service.Special Features:
- Felt like ParisOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014I loved my experience at "la bonne table". Very romantic atmosphere with low lighting and fantastic music. Food was good. Service friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- La Bonne Table is Exactly ThatLarkspurGalDined on 9/12/2014We had a very romantic, delicious dinner to celebrate our anniversary. It was a very hot night, and we were glad to have a table on the small, but pretty patio. We started with kir royales, which were perfectly blended and nicely chilled. Then we shared a salads frisée and salmon pate before our entrees of moules frites. Wonderful, wonderful flavor And tons of food. Too full for dessert, but we will go back and try a dessert. Service was friendly and discreet. A welcome addition to the Hillcrest dining scene.Special Features:
- C'est Si BonParisjetamineVIPDined on 9/11/2014What a charming neighborhood gem in Hillcrest. Small, intimate, very French. Small menu, but, everything we order was perfect. To start, the hot French bread and melted butter was a meal in itself. I had the escargots with puff pastry on top. I love it when it was brought out, it was boiling hot. The rich butter, parsley sauce was the perfect dipping sauce for the bread. I had the duck confit, AMAZING, very crispy skin and so much flavorful and nice accompaniment with fresh veggies. My only complaint, it was a small portion. My friend had the pork, that was 3x bigger than the duck confit, another winner. I love this perfect gem, and can't go back. If you can, sit outside on the intimate patio and people watch. Bon AppetitSpecial Features:
- Fantastique!!!!Babs4316VIPDined on 9/5/2014Start to finish - wonderful all the way. Our group of four loved La Bonne Table.... terrific service (one minor mishap handles very well) a lovely room and fabulous food kept us in our seats for 3 hours. Tasty cocktails (how can you go wrong with Lillet?) followed by a superb salmon rillettes, followed by terrific frisee salads and then our entrees -- we had the mussels, the bouillabaisse, the steak frites and the duck confit and each one was delightful. A shared taste of the chocolate mousse with after dinner drinks topped of the night. Loved it all, and like Napoleon - WE WILL RETURN! Go -- now!Special Features:
- am I in France?SDDinerDined on 8/28/2014Wonderful food, wonderful service, wonderful decor. Order the pork!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent French FoodMudgelyDined on 8/28/2014La Bonne Table has good simple French food. The prices are reasonable. The ambience and service are top notch.Special Features:
- Overall goodChintanDined on 8/23/2014Their french onion soup was great. Must have! Good coffee as well. A bit pricy so reserve for non regular visitsSpecial Features:
- KGPhillipsDined on 8/2/2014What a charming place to spend a few hours! The duck confit with lentils was delicious, as were all the desserts (yes, I had one of each). A delightful dining room, service par excellence, and all within walking distance of home. We'll be back often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 0 reviews are from the La Bonne Table reviews archive.