La Boite en Bois
75 West 68th Street
New York, NY 10023Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
La Boite en Bois
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://laboitenyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 874-2705
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 3:30pm - 10:30pm, Friday - Saturday Dinner: 3:30pm - 11:00pm; Saturday and Sunday Brunch: 11:30am - 3:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Gino Barbuti
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: All of our menu items are available for takeout. We offer local delivery.
A word from La Boite en Bois
Located in a brownstone in the heart of the Upper West Side, La Boite en Bois has been a favorite among diners for 28 years. With its rustic ambiance, it feels as though you are in a bistro in the French countryside. In close proximity to Lincoln Center, we offer a pre-theater menu. Serving classics from Escargot to Salmon to Roasted Duck, you will be delighted with our extensive selections. We serve lunch everyday, with a variety of salads, panini, and classic French dishes, such as Croque Monsieur and Onion Soup. Come Sunday for our Brunch, and enjoy Eggs Benedict or Pain Perdu (French Toast). At La Boite en Bois, our attentive and well-trained staff will be sure to provide you with a memorable experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
La Boite en Bois reviews from OpenTable diners
155 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (99)fit for foodies (59)romantic (46)special occasion (26)great for lunch (24)great for brunch (17)notable wine list (10)late-night find (8)good for groups (5)hot spot (2)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Lincoln Center GemOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 9/26/2014Have been dining here for over 30 years. 'Nuff said!Special Features:
- Pre-opera spotanonymousDined on 9/23/2014Great spot before the opera. We were running a bit late and staff was more than accommodating. The food was very good as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great French DiningSophiaDined on 9/22/2014Wonderful dining experience. Lovely presentation of food, interesting menu and top location for those going to Lincoln Center.Special Features:
- LynnDined on 9/21/2014We went here for brunch on Sunday. It is a lovely small restaurant. The brunch menu had a good number of choices. Everything was prepared fresh and the hollandaise sauce on the eggs benedict was light and delicious. The size of the portions was good. We had bellinis but were a bit disappointed that they used schnapps instead of peach puree. They did let us know this ahead of time. I would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JoaquinDined on 9/20/2014A lovely meal -- well composed dishes, tasty, friendly service, great bottle of wine. A long-standing gem on the upper west side.Special Features:
- boothbayVIPDined on 9/20/2014For appetizers, we had the oysters and the seafood crepe which were very good. The calves liver is a specialty here and excellently prepared. The salmon was also delicious. For dessert we shared a piece of cheesecake. The menu here is filled with well prepared items and it is convenient to Lincoln Center. Its location slightly north of Lincoln Center means that it is more focused on locals and its cuisine than on theater-goers and tourists.
- Go to near Lincoln CenterOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/19/2014La Boite en Bois is always reliable and comfortable. A convenient, pleasant place to dine before a performance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/17/2014The food is excellent. Service is attentive but not disruptive. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- NJCallingDined on 9/14/2014Sunday evening was the perfect time to discover this simple and cozy french bistro. It was not crowded, service was friendly, professional and helpful. The food was very good - the fish broth in the fish stew had a wonderful aroma and was tasty, veal scallopini in cognac sauce was excellent and the lamb stew was a true county dish and delicious. Apples got lost in the apple tart. We will definitely return, but again would choose to come when its not crowded!Special Features:
- Consistently Good, but Not TerrificEricDined on 9/13/2014I've been to this restaurant a number of times. I really enjoy its Gallic feel. It feels like you're dining at small Parisian restaurant. The food here has been consistently good, but it has never been excellent. On the other hand, it is not especially pricey. The service has been very good and I am very sure that I will return to this restaurant.Special Features:
- Delicious lunch!KayseeDined on 9/11/2014My friend and I usually try a different restaurant each time we have lunch, but the food and service here were so wonderful that we will definitely return! We had grilled chicken paillard and seafood crepes, both excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food, reasonable priceREGNYCVIPDined on 9/10/2014We have been here several times and are always very pleased. The menu is varied, with nightly specials. The service is impeccable. Our food was hot, in generous portions, and heavenly. The desserts are superb. This is indeed a neighborhood gem, and worth many repeated visits.Special Features:
- Neighborhood gemgreenbeDined on 9/6/2014Always great food and great service whether for lunch or dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cute local place but AC badJaredDined on 9/5/2014Went with family of four - both kids in 20's. Typical French with pretty salty and fishy fish soup and stew. Carrot soup was excellent as was the seafood crepe appetizer. Entrees excellent but the restaurant was so hot that we just sweat. Had to ask for wine as the staff was really busy for a small restaurant. Nothing fancy but pleasant and homey.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014Good French food at a good price with helpful service
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Charming ambiance , food was very good and the service excellent . Next time i'm at Lincoln Center this restaurant would be my first choice , two blocks away and a great start to a very nice evening .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stuck in timeOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/22/2014This restaurant serves old style french food, too heavy and too greasy. The dining room is small and underground with the tables packed tightly together.
- Great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/20/2014The restaurant is very small and tables are tight together, yet it is a very lovely place to eat, though I think a party of four is maximum. The food is wonderful and the service attentive and pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sweet placeCather123VIPDined on 8/18/2014We went on the late side, after the Lincoln Center crowd had departed. Good move, as you could order a la carte and the place was quiet. Food was good, although the special filet of sole needed some more zip (lemon, perhaps). Side dishes were very tasty, and my son's fish stew was really wonderful. I want to go back to order the stew!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite neighborhood French placeNYMikeVIPDined on 8/14/2014We've been going to La Boîte en Bois for over thirty years - generally for birthdays, anniversaries, Valentine's Day and Christmas Eve. Often dining with another couple, we've found it to be consistently enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RoseBudVIPDined on 8/14/2014The food wasn't bad, but it wasn't that great either. For the prices this place charges I expected better. The service was very good, the waiter attentive, and able to answer the table's questions.
- A wonderful experience75eatsDined on 8/14/2014This is my favorite French restaurant, with sensational traditional French cuisine and very pleasant and attentive service. A group of us were celebrating two birthdays and stayed for almost three hours, yet never felt that anyone wanted to rush us out the door. The restaurant is small and charming, and feels as if it is in some lovely, quiet French town rather than the Upper West Side.Special Features:
- Great upper west side spot!NYCfoodieDined on 8/12/2014I keep going back and every time it just gets better. Wonderful food, professional, friendly service and a fantastic value for your dollar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always welcomeSkaldDined on 8/7/2014This is not our first time at the restaurant. We have always received a warm welcome no matter how busy the restaurant may be. The food and the service is consistent -- very good and professional. We dine before a performance at Lincoln Center and always leave relaxed and not hurried making the whole evening that much more enjoyable.Special Features:
- As good as it getsloverestaurantsVIPDined on 8/4/2014This place is perfect. Beautiful French bistro food, beautifully prepared and served. Service is prompt and courteous. A short walk from Lincoln Center. You can't go wrong here.Special Features:
- Quaint and FrenchRevCarolDined on 8/3/2014A small bistro near Lincoln Center with excellent food and attentive service!Special Features:
- Oasis in the cityRobinDined on 8/2/2014Wonderful ambience, wonderful food. Feels like you are in an oasis in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Wonderful!juilliardDined on 8/2/2014Fabulous atmosphere and great food! Service was excellent and we had plenty of time to walk to Lincoln Center for a concert. We enjoyed our dinner and will return again soon. Have been frequenting this restaurant for over 12 years and have not been disappointed. Just a special place tucked away on the Upper West Side.Special Features:
- The following 1231 reviews are from the La Boite en Bois reviews archive.
- Friendly service and good food!Kimchee02VIPDined on 7/30/2014It's a neighborhood gem! The food is always satisfying and the service is always friendly. I'd def. go back to this place.Special Features:
- Poor service. Bad policyPapapatVIPDined on 7/29/2014We went we 2 others at 6:30. Restaurant was less than half full Long time to get waited on and long time getting our food. There was a 3 course prie fixe at $48 yet my wife had no appetizer and we couldn't wait for dessert(as we had sat there for so long) and she was still charged $48 for poached salmon. Disappointed.Special Features:
- Pre theater disasterNuYorkerVIPDined on 7/29/2014Perhaps they were having a bad night. Food was good, early service fine. After they cleared our dinner plates we had to ask twice for the dessert menu and coffee, ended up taking dessert in a doggy bag a running to Lincoln center.Special Features:
- MayorDVIPDined on 7/29/2014Without a doubt a gem in the Lincoln Center. Superb for pre or post concerts.Special Features:
- Still the Best in the neighborhoodJaayVIPDined on 7/26/2014Delicious real French food. Always constantly good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it wasPortiaVIPDined on 7/26/2014The atmosphere has changed since the renovation which eliminated the authentic French feel and substituted a bland general restaurant quality. Also, the service at brunch on Saturday was lackluster despite an almost empty restaurant. No one checked our orders, no one offered another glass of wine, no one offered more coffee. They did refill the water.
- Pre-Theater TreatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014Excellent choice for pre-theater dinner. Service and food were very good. Even though it was quite busy - staff was very attentive! Should make reservation as it is a smaller venue.Special Features:
- 4charmandeleganceDined on 7/23/2014This is truly a gem on the upper west side. The atmosphere is charming yet elegant. The food is wonderful and the service is exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good, very reliableOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/20/2014Always enjoy our dinners here. This time we came pretty early in the evening and the restaurant was quiet as it had just opened for dinner. When it's full it can get noisy and it's a small space but it's worth it. The food is fresh and nicely prepared, the service is friendly and available, the house wines are great but there's a good sized wine list and the cocktails and hard liquor are good as well. They take their time with food preparation and you never feel rushed in spite of the small space. Their pre-theater meal is timely. The prices are reasonable and I would say they are actually a little low for Manhattan especially for a place so close to Lincoln Center.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2 out of 3 -SatisfiedDined on 7/19/2014My partner had the seafood stew, the house special Boîte en Bois, and it was excellent. I had the duck with cranberry sauce, and thought it mediocre. I have been here before and was very favorably impressed in every category, so this was a bit of a letdown. The service was excellent and ambiance superior with a somewhat high noise level, but a very pleasant place to be. Next time I will order something else.
- CocktailLynDined on 7/18/2014Fine spot for lunch and dinner before movie, play, concert in Lincoln Center area. Downside is that place is cramped.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect....againlovesfoodVIPDined on 7/16/2014Honestly as good or better than the most expensive French restaurant in NYC. Consistently wonderful food, service. Gracious.Special Features: