La Boite en Bois
75 West 68th Street
New York, NY 10023Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
La Boite en Bois
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://laboitenyc.com/
- Phone: 2128742705x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 3:30pm - 10:30pm, Friday - Saturday Dinner: 3:30pm - 11:00pm; Saturday and Sunday Brunch: 11:30am - 3:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Gino Barbuti
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: All of our menu items are available for takeout. We offer local delivery.
A word from La Boite en Bois
Located in a brownstone in the heart of the Upper West Side, La Boite en Bois has been a favorite among diners for 28 years. With its rustic ambiance, it feels as though you are in a bistro in the French countryside. In close proximity to Lincoln Center, we offer a pre-theater menu. Serving classics from Escargot to Salmon to Roasted Duck, you will be delighted with our extensive selections. We serve lunch everyday, with a variety of salads, panini, and classic French dishes, such as Croque Monsieur and Onion Soup. Come Sunday for our Brunch, and enjoy Eggs Benedict or Pain Perdu (French Toast). At La Boite en Bois, our attentive and well-trained staff will be sure to provide you with a memorable experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
La Boite en Bois reviews from OpenTable diners
124 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (75)fit for foodies (46)romantic (42)special occasion (25)great for lunch (24)great for brunch (23)notable wine list (10)good for groups (6)late-night find (5)hot spot (3)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- DisappointingfredoVIPDined on 10/18/2014After reading the reviews we expected old style French food in a small restaurant that was somewhat cramped and noisy. The restaurant was crowded ,the service was ok but the food was not at all good. The squash soup was flavorless,and the veal was a poor cut if meat in a gloopy tasteless sauce. I would never go back there or recommend this place.
- Reliable Pre-TheaterVillageDinerVIPDined on 10/15/2014Latest of many visits to La Boite en Bois, one of our pre-theater choices for Lincoln Center. The pre-theater prix fixe is a decent deal. The restaurant is a little claustrophobic and drably decorated but they turn out solid French bistro style food and can get you in and out in time for the curtain. We had leeks and a ravioli special to start, then the chicken and salmon for entrees. All were quite good. With a halfbottle of Southern Rhone, dessert, coffee tax and tip, the total was around $70 pp, which is fair.
- BeatseatsDined on 10/14/2014Great food, excellent service, will definitely return!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/14/2014great old school intimate french dining! a real treatSpecial Features:
- Nice, pretty restaurantCathlamoDined on 10/13/2014I had lunch here and found it very nice. The burger was excellent. The side vegetables were good. The French onion soup, however, was just so-so, nothing special. The service was good and the restaurant itself was very small, but pretty.Special Features:
- Slipped a littleCuriousDinerDined on 10/12/2014We have enjoyed this small French restaurant over the years, but this time we found the service less attentive. The raviolis, a signature dish, were disappointing. The profiteroles, however, were lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/11/2014The French Onion Soup was pretty bad. But I had high expectation. There were like slices of store bought cheese on top. Dinner was ok/good. Had the roasted chicken and have had better. Mashed potatoes were very bland. Profiteroles were excellent though! Nice people. And small and intimate which was nice.Special Features:
- Fave near Lincoln CenterOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 10/10/2014Was here two weeks ago and came back again. That should give you the picture.Special Features:
- 5jbsina5jbsinaDined on 10/9/2014Although we arrived within a short time to get to the opera, the staff served us in time -greatly appreciated, wonderful experience. We will return with more time to enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinahVIPDined on 10/5/2014Only two waiters and no manager during Sunday Brunch for the whole restaurant. What's wrong with this picture? That the service lacked was not the fault of the two waiters who were doing their best, but that the place was poorly staffed.
- A disappointmentAmieVIPDined on 10/2/2014Like several old time restaurants we've tried recently, this one is resting on its laurels. I felt as though my coq au vin came out of the freezer & went into the microwave, and came out with a heavy undistinguished "gravy," not a lovely wine sauce that one associates with coq au vin. On top of that, the chicken was tough, which tells me it wasn't cooked that day. My husband says his food was not special, certainly not good enough to justify the prices. This goes on the "no more" list for us. Amie
- Just the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/30/2014I cant say enough good things about this place. Its solid and reliable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good, but.....ARR3VIPDined on 9/29/2014We enjoyed ourselves with good food and service but.......Don't like the Mandatory pre-fix menu betwen 5-7:30PM. If i'm paying I don't want to be told how and what i have to eat. I'm not a dessert eater nor was one of my guests--but guess what? We still had to pay for the desserts we didn't have due to the horrible, mandatory pre-fix menu. All else is good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, location, serviceramblingsandroastsDined on 9/27/2014At a friend's recommendation, my husband and I ate here after a matinee performance at nearby Lincoln Center. We opted to eat after the show for an early dinner so we could enjoy the prix fixe 3-course menu. The restaurant was happy to accommodate our early arrival at 4:30, a good thing, as they filled up quickly. The house-smoked trout and salmon appetizer with cucumber salad was delicious, and serving was ample. Hubby had the soup du jour, a velvety, mild pumpkin bisque. We both enjoyed the monkfish entree, which was was so flavorful. Bourbon raisin bread pudding for dessert was incredible! Service was seamless. The group of gents worked together to ensure prompt attention, delivery, and follow up. Would highly recommend!Special Features:
- Lincoln Center GemOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 9/26/2014Have been dining here for over 30 years. 'Nuff said!Special Features:
- Pre-opera spotanonymousDined on 9/23/2014Great spot before the opera. We were running a bit late and staff was more than accommodating. The food was very good as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great French DiningSophiaDined on 9/22/2014Wonderful dining experience. Lovely presentation of food, interesting menu and top location for those going to Lincoln Center.Special Features:
- LynnDined on 9/21/2014We went here for brunch on Sunday. It is a lovely small restaurant. The brunch menu had a good number of choices. Everything was prepared fresh and the hollandaise sauce on the eggs benedict was light and delicious. The size of the portions was good. We had bellinis but were a bit disappointed that they used schnapps instead of peach puree. They did let us know this ahead of time. I would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JoaquinDined on 9/20/2014A lovely meal -- well composed dishes, tasty, friendly service, great bottle of wine. A long-standing gem on the upper west side.Special Features:
- boothbayVIPDined on 9/20/2014For appetizers, we had the oysters and the seafood crepe which were very good. The calves liver is a specialty here and excellently prepared. The salmon was also delicious. For dessert we shared a piece of cheesecake. The menu here is filled with well prepared items and it is convenient to Lincoln Center. Its location slightly north of Lincoln Center means that it is more focused on locals and its cuisine than on theater-goers and tourists.
- Go to near Lincoln CenterOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/19/2014La Boite en Bois is always reliable and comfortable. A convenient, pleasant place to dine before a performance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/17/2014The food is excellent. Service is attentive but not disruptive. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- NJCallingDined on 9/14/2014Sunday evening was the perfect time to discover this simple and cozy french bistro. It was not crowded, service was friendly, professional and helpful. The food was very good - the fish broth in the fish stew had a wonderful aroma and was tasty, veal scallopini in cognac sauce was excellent and the lamb stew was a true county dish and delicious. Apples got lost in the apple tart. We will definitely return, but again would choose to come when its not crowded!Special Features:
- Consistently Good, but Not TerrificEricDined on 9/13/2014I've been to this restaurant a number of times. I really enjoy its Gallic feel. It feels like you're dining at small Parisian restaurant. The food here has been consistently good, but it has never been excellent. On the other hand, it is not especially pricey. The service has been very good and I am very sure that I will return to this restaurant.Special Features:
- Delicious lunch!KayseeDined on 9/11/2014My friend and I usually try a different restaurant each time we have lunch, but the food and service here were so wonderful that we will definitely return! We had grilled chicken paillard and seafood crepes, both excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food, reasonable priceREGNYCVIPDined on 9/10/2014We have been here several times and are always very pleased. The menu is varied, with nightly specials. The service is impeccable. Our food was hot, in generous portions, and heavenly. The desserts are superb. This is indeed a neighborhood gem, and worth many repeated visits.Special Features:
- Cute local place but AC badJaredDined on 9/5/2014Went with family of four - both kids in 20's. Typical French with pretty salty and fishy fish soup and stew. Carrot soup was excellent as was the seafood crepe appetizer. Entrees excellent but the restaurant was so hot that we just sweat. Had to ask for wine as the staff was really busy for a small restaurant. Nothing fancy but pleasant and homey.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014Good French food at a good price with helpful service
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Charming ambiance , food was very good and the service excellent . Next time i'm at Lincoln Center this restaurant would be my first choice , two blocks away and a great start to a very nice evening .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stuck in timeOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/22/2014This restaurant serves old style french food, too heavy and too greasy. The dining room is small and underground with the tables packed tightly together.
- Great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/20/2014The restaurant is very small and tables are tight together, yet it is a very lovely place to eat, though I think a party of four is maximum. The food is wonderful and the service attentive and pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sweet placeCather123VIPDined on 8/18/2014We went on the late side, after the Lincoln Center crowd had departed. Good move, as you could order a la carte and the place was quiet. Food was good, although the special filet of sole needed some more zip (lemon, perhaps). Side dishes were very tasty, and my son's fish stew was really wonderful. I want to go back to order the stew!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite neighborhood French placeNYMikeVIPDined on 8/14/2014We've been going to La Boîte en Bois for over thirty years - generally for birthdays, anniversaries, Valentine's Day and Christmas Eve. Often dining with another couple, we've found it to be consistently enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RoseBudVIPDined on 8/14/2014The food wasn't bad, but it wasn't that great either. For the prices this place charges I expected better. The service was very good, the waiter attentive, and able to answer the table's questions.
- A wonderful experience75eatsDined on 8/14/2014This is my favorite French restaurant, with sensational traditional French cuisine and very pleasant and attentive service. A group of us were celebrating two birthdays and stayed for almost three hours, yet never felt that anyone wanted to rush us out the door. The restaurant is small and charming, and feels as if it is in some lovely, quiet French town rather than the Upper West Side.Special Features:
- Great upper west side spot!NYCfoodieDined on 8/12/2014I keep going back and every time it just gets better. Wonderful food, professional, friendly service and a fantastic value for your dollar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always welcomeSkaldDined on 8/7/2014This is not our first time at the restaurant. We have always received a warm welcome no matter how busy the restaurant may be. The food and the service is consistent -- very good and professional. We dine before a performance at Lincoln Center and always leave relaxed and not hurried making the whole evening that much more enjoyable.Special Features:
- As good as it getsloverestaurantsVIPDined on 8/4/2014This place is perfect. Beautiful French bistro food, beautifully prepared and served. Service is prompt and courteous. A short walk from Lincoln Center. You can't go wrong here.Special Features:
- Quaint and FrenchRevCarolDined on 8/3/2014A small bistro near Lincoln Center with excellent food and attentive service!Special Features:
- Oasis in the cityRobinDined on 8/2/2014Wonderful ambience, wonderful food. Feels like you are in an oasis in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.