La Bodega - Kansas City
703 Southwest Blvd.
Kansas City, MO 64108Neighborhood:
SpanishPrice: $30 and under
La Bodega - Kansas City
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.labodegakc.com/
- Phone: 8164728272
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Daily: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: English Reinshaw
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: La Bodega offers both private & semi-private space.
- Private Party Contact: Brooke Silvey 8164728272
A word from La Bodega - Kansas City
"Tapas" - In the beginning. Tapas is a daily event in the life of the Spanish culture. Mainly a Northern Spain, Basque regional tradition, it has grown to signify a way of eating and socializing. It is said that tapas originated centuries ago. In Spanish, the word tapa or the verb tapar means "to cover." Tapas represents the Spanish custom of placing a piece of bread over the glass of wine. It is a custom that dates back past the 1500's. Traditionally, the exact food served is less important than the social occasion. Tapas is a way of life. It signifies leisure, camaraderie and good humor. In Spain, Tapas are almost always accompanied by wine. They are not so much about talking as they are about eating and drinking. The wine is the medium that holds the conversation with friends and the food together. You make time to enjoy the moment in an unhurried way. The threefold purpose of snacking on tapas is to dull any hunger pangs that have built up since the previous intake of comestibles.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
La Bodega - Kansas City - Best Restaurants in Kansas City ›
La Bodega - Kansas City reviews from OpenTable diners
100 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (62)neighborhood gem (55)great for outdoor dining (44)good for groups (42)special occasion (40)romantic (29)hot spot (29)great for lunch (19)late-night find (15)notable wine list (14)great for brunch (11)vibrant bar scene (10)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- A place in the sunOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/13/2014Really enjoyed a recent early evening with friends at the outdoor tables. The sangria and tapas were great when coupled with late afternoon sun and good conversation. And the staff was attentive without being intrusive. A win!Special Features:
- Never DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/12/2014As always, the food was fantastic! The service and management were friendly and went above and beyond. I realize this isn't part of a typical review, but the restroom was clean (I'm always pleasantly surprised when this happens out in public)!Special Features:
- KC hidden HotSpotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014unbelievable service, unbelievable food, unbelievable scenery... All hidden under I35.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Moving!firemsdiveDined on 8/31/2014My wife & I will be moving to KC, from Virginia in the very near future. She found your restaurant on a web search for a tapas style spot. We loved it and look forward to coming back when we make the move. She has already told her sisters that they are coming with us when they visit. We love the atmosphere, and the food. The staff was excellent, and entertaining.Special Features:
- AwesomeLuvItDined on 8/30/2014Food and service were incredible. Loved the look of the restaurant, there was a loud group when we first got there but the left about 10 minutes later and the noise level went down a lot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DifferentSmithtianDined on 8/30/2014this was our first time eating here. There is so many different things to choose from. Our server didn't ask if we have been here before, or explain how anything works. In a group of 5, everyone got their food and was finished before our daughter got hers, and the server said, I bring them out as they are finished in the kitchen. Still confused on how to order. The food was good, I would go back, just hope for a better experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date nightMexikingDined on 8/30/2014Good food just way too small of portions for way too much moneySpecial Features:
- Another good jobOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/16/2014The food was good, service was better than the last few times we stopped in and the sangria was very tasty. Unfortunately, the place was super packed with large parties and it made it very challenging to hear anyone at our table but the food was spot on. I must say the scallops and the meatballs were wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impressive, as alwaysKerryDined on 8/6/2014We had a late dinner on a weeknight when the restaurant was not crowded, except for a large party that Zach was also taking care of. Zach stopped by our table several times to make sure everything was okay and to be his charming self. When the GM and other servers noticed that Zach had his hands full with a large table, they immediately stepped in to take additional orders, clear away plates, refill drinks, etc. They didn't miss a beat and we wanted for nothing. We love coming to La Bodega and have always been treated as if we were the most important customers in the place. If I were to make one suggestion, it would be to refresh the menu items a little with some new dishes. I think we've sampled everything on the current menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night outdoorsdonaldabDined on 8/1/2014We sat outside, had a delicious pitcher of red sangria, and split a number of small plates. My favorite was shrimp with garlic sauce as it was light and bright... No especially bold flavors to it, just good. Husband's favorite was the short rib dish with apricot. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced for what you getMirKCDined on 8/1/2014Natalie our server was great! Very friendly and informative! It was our first time and the manager came over to greet us:-). Tapas were tasty, our entrees were ok. My tenderloin had a slightly freezer burn taste and my husbands salmon was over cooked.it has a nice vibe and all the staff are friendly but next time we will just do the tapas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sunday Aternoon Find!Gr8foodDined on 7/27/2014We were looking for somewhere to have a light earlier dinner and a cold beverage. Well a pitcher of cold sangria and several tapas later we knew we had found the right spot in La Bodega! Our waitress, Danielle was a delight. We told her it was our first time to La Bodega and she guided us through a perfect meal including an off menu dessert item that was the perfect end to our meal! We will become regulars here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousgutenappetitDined on 7/25/2014But noisy! The food is outstanding, the ambiance modern-romantic, but the noise level is so high that conversation becomes straining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great anniversary dinner!OlineDined on 7/19/2014We went there for an anniversary dinner. The food was great and our server went above and beyond to help us figure out what a dish was that we saw being taken out to someone right as we got there. :) Good bottle of wine as well. We ate outside as it was a perfect night and it was a little quieter and better for chatting than inside. It is close to the street, but it was not distracting. Overall - great meal and fun experience!Special Features:
- Another Great VisitbsteelDined on 7/19/2014I've had a dinner twice here in 2 weeks! Once for my birthday with a large group of friends and on Saturday night with a group of 4. Both times the service and food were outstanding. You'll have fun and leave fullSpecial Features:
- ChrisChrisDined on 7/18/2014The food and service are fantastic. You can't go wrong with any of the tapas menu options - honestly they are just fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatTGW1VIPDined on 7/18/2014A wonderful place to dine, excellent food and excellent service. I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Happy HourluvtorelaxDined on 7/16/2014Went there just in time to order happy hour priced food, huge selection and it was all very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always AMAZINGFoodieChefDined on 7/13/2014The paella is the best we have found, which is fine if you just want to spend an hour or so. Tapas is a whole different experience that forces us to slow down and unplug ordering a few plates at a time from over 30 choices. Three of us ordered a pitcher of Sangria and bottle of amazing wine and spent 3 glorious hours in food and conversation. Dishes are beautifully plated and the balance was spot on. Our wait staff was attentive but not intrusive. You cannot go wrong with this place.Special Features:
- Sunday brunchAirBabuVIPDined on 7/13/2014We were one of the first seat on Sunday and the servers were busy getting ready for sunday service. We ate at a bare table while they placed white tablecloths on other tables. Good service and good food.
- always enjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014always good food, good drinks, and good service... enjoy going here for a night out.Special Features:
- Great night!gr8foodGr8wineDined on 7/5/2014Great food. Great service. Nice, relaxing evening where we did not feel rushed to leave.Special Features:
- Awesome PaellaJoaquinFoodieDined on 7/2/2014Great Paella valenciana. Friendly service . Wednesday nights are great for paella lovers.Special Features:
- TapasMikeVIPDined on 6/28/2014Wonderful food, great service, thoroughly enjoyable dinner. We had the chance to chat with the manager, who was very engaged in the restaurant and appreciative of the great work his staff was doing.Special Features:
- Service fails time and time againOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/25/2014The KC location had become one of our favorites in town. The food is outstanding but the service seems to be getting worse each time we go. Servers who are lacking a personality, slow at service, serving half glasses of beer, no refills on other beverages, forgetting the basics, didn't know specials, etc. etc. will eventually close this gem.I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVEwinedivaDined on 6/25/2014Greta food great atmosphere great service.....it is a good place for a girl's night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!LuvgoodfoodDined on 6/21/2014My friend and I came from Wichita in search of a wonderful meal. We found that plus wonderful service at La Bodega! It was an amazing dining experience and the food and service was divine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not for those in a rushKCchicDined on 6/21/2014Eating a meal is considered an event here. I've been before and loved it. The food is always good. They stretch out your food over 2 hours, which I knew from past experiences. HOwever, this visit was not as pleasant as past. Our waiter didn't refill our waters often enough. We couldn't find him wen we needed things. One friend asked for her bill and didn't receive it for 45 minutes, she had to be somewhere else and needed to head out. We ordered dessert and mentioned we were there for a birthday. AFter 45 minutes, we inquired where the dessert was and our waiters reply was, "oh you didn't receive it yet?" Shouldn't he have known this? Paying took forever, he had our debit and credit cards for 20 minutes.Special Features:
- Excellent food - service notFoodieDined on 6/15/2014The food was outstanding. Never even offered a second glass of wine and don't if they serve dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- return to La BodegaallllllllllllllllllllllllDined on 6/14/2014We used to dine at LaBodega quite often; lunch, happy hour and dinner. For some reason we hadn't been there for quite a while...over one year. We usually share tapas, both hot and cold when we have dinner there and this time followed the norm. My wife and I shared three tapas; the bruschetta with thinly sliced ham and tomato sauce, the shrimp with pepper flakes and a crepe with goat cheese. And I had a cup of the bean soup with sausage and chicken. Everything was very tasty. I would say the only negatives were that the martinis could have been colder and the service personnel could have smiled a bit more and there was often confusion on which tables the food went to. This was a surprise because normally the wait staff is excellent.
- disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/14/2014Made reservations for 7 and still had to wait which is understandable. Seated and not one person stopped at our table. Sat for 17 minutes and still no one. We made eye contact with four different servers still nothing. Got up and left. Disappointed.
- Great Food & Great StaffJRBIllyDined on 6/14/2014We stopped by La Bodega a few weeks ago and after an excellent experience decided to book again for Father's Day. The staff is always friendly and the food is great. We love the Tapas menu and tasting multiple foods. Both times we've taken ordered take-out so that we had more of the great food for the next day at home. I highly recommend La Bodega but understand from other guests that it's sometimes best to make a reservation on the weekend. We had no problem booking through Open Table and loved the great experience. We will definitely return and have told many friends about the atmosphere and food.Special Features:
- Great mealAmandaDined on 6/7/2014Another great time at La Bodega. I've been many times and it never disappoints. Was glad to spend a fun Saturday evening with friends over some tapas and sangria!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner 6/6/14Dinnerfor2cBeDined on 6/6/2014The food was wonderful as always and the sangria was delicious! It did take a long time for our server to come back and see if we would have liked to order more, which was a first for me. Other than the long wait between tapas everything was awesomeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Happy HourtallyhoVIPDined on 6/5/2014La Bodega offers a great happy hour. A group of us from work often go and order every 1/2 price item on the menu. A lot of variety for a very reasonable price. The service is always top notch and the atmosphere is fun.Special Features:
- Great Atmosphere! Excellent Food!lsmithDined on 5/31/2014La Bodega is a vibrant and trendy restaurant perfect for an evening out with friends. The service is excellent and the variety of tapas on the menu ensures everyone will be satisfied. La Bodega has the best sangria in town and their desserts are a perfect finish for the meal.Special Features:
- Very nice!nomnomnomVIPDined on 5/31/2014I had been to La Bodega before, and based on a great experience, I recommended it for tapas with friends. We came at 5:30 on a Saturday and were very pleased to find out that happy hour happened on weekends too--this meant that many of the tapas (and the sangria) were half off! The food was great, as expected, and the price was definitely right. I will be back!Special Features:
- We love La BodegaheadachemomDined on 5/25/2014The food is wonderful--had several small plates and enjoyed 2 glasses of the red sangria, yum. Great service.Special Features:
- Great food average servicekassonmoDined on 5/24/2014Had a nice time. We had late reservations and were able to sit outside on a beautiful night. The food was wonderful, as always and we tried some new things. Service was fair. Our waiter didn't have much of a personality and we were served the wrong thing a couple of times. Overall a consistently quality restaurant when it comes to food- although the service on 119th seems to be at a different level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food as usualOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/23/2014This place never fails. Only two complaints: the host shouldn't be rude when asked to switch tables due to chilly conditions and the server was ok but lacked a personality. The food was outstanding as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 116 reviews are from the La Bodega - Kansas City reviews archive.