La Bocca Urban Pizzeria and Wine Bar
699 S. Mill Ave. #115
Tempe, AZ 85281Neighborhood:
PizzeriaPrice: $30 and under
La Bocca Urban Pizzeria and Wine Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.laboccapizzeria.com/
- Phone: 4809675244x
- Hours of Operation:
Mon - Wed 11am - 10pm
Thursday 11am - 11pm
Fri & Sat 11am - 12pm
Sunday 11am - 10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Wine Bar, Pizzeria
- Executive Chef: Mark Dow
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We can provide most items from our in-house menu or create a special menu for your event. Please contact Dulia@ForkAndDagger.com for details.
- Private Party Facilities: While we don't offer an exclusive private dining area we are able to rent out the entire restaurant for private events.
- Private Party Contact: Dulia Yale 4805672600x
- Entertainment: Sophisticated, urban playlist. Vintage movies in the evenings.
- Special Events: From groups of 15 or more to wedding rehearsal dinners, weddings and receptions to full corporate buy-outs, contact our Event Coordinator Dulia Yale to learn more. Dulia@ForkAndDagger.com
- Cross Street: 7th Street
- Public Transit: Metro Light Rail (Mill Ave & 3rd Street)
Bus: Valley Metro 66, 45
Orbit: Jupiter & Mercury
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Plenty of on-site parking in surface lots and parking garage. Nearest paid parking is located below us in The Brickyard public garage (enter via 6th or 7th streets), or the public parking structure in Centerpoint by the AMC cinema and rabbit sculptures.
A word from La Bocca Urban Pizzeria and Wine Bar
A revered Tempe staple on Mill Avenue featuring Mediterranean inspired cuisine prepared with locally sourced ingredients and made-to-order. Innovative hand-tossed pizzas, world-famous bruschetta planks, an impressive selection of wines, house-made sangrias and beverages. Whether it’s a power business lunch, intimate dinner, late night dining or drinks, we infuse smooth sophistication into a casual wine bar and pizzeria atmosphere. Dine al fresco or hob knob indoors.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
La Bocca Urban Pizzeria and Wine Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
48 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (23)fit for foodies (22)great for lunch (18)notable wine list (16)great for outdoor dining (14)hot spot (13)good for groups (13)special occasion (11)vibrant bar scene (10)romantic (9)late-night find (7)great for brunch (6)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Good foodAsufanDined on 8/1/2014We really like this place. The pizza is good, the calzone is amazing!! Extensive wine list, nice atmosphere. The only negative was the service....really slow but it was a Friday night and it was packed out so that's to be expected I guess. We will definately be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good findCandaceDined on 7/30/2014I had a girls night out and went to La Bocca for pre-theater dinner. The food was delicious and reasonably priced. Nice wine list and great sangria. The service was prompt and friendly. All four of us would most definitely go back, especially when the weather is nice enough to take advantage of their patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okay overallPKdinersDined on 7/29/2014Food was good, but service was very slow, and this was a Tuesday night. We were seated for at least 10 minutes before a waiter even came by to take our drink order. Then it took another 10 minutes to get our wine. Although we ordered as quickly as we could, it still took a long time to get our food--just a salad and a pizza! Since we had theater reservations we had to be out of there by 7. Our dinner reservation was at 6 and we got there at 10 of. By the time we got our food we had to scarf it down fast. Also, seating seems to be designed for groups and drinkers rather than couples eating dinner. This is NOT a place for a special or romantic dinner for two. Overall, not a great dining experience.
- No Reservations?SteakLoverVIPDined on 7/27/2014I'm not sure why LaBocca participates in Open Table. I booked a reservation for 4 on a Sunday at 5:00 pm because we had show tickets at 6:30. When we arrived, the hostess said they don't take reservations and that they would seat us as soon as possible. There was an empty table for 4, but she said the table was reserved ????? Made no sense! We ended up sitting at the bar, and the manager apologized for the confusion and bought us a round of drinks. It was a nice gesture, but don't count on your reservation meaning anything.
- Pre Jersey BoystutdoyDined on 7/24/2014First time at this restaurant, the restaurant called a hour before my reservation suggesting to come in early because of the Gammage event. We came in early and the Host seated us immediately, the server was prompt and friendly. The meatball pasta and sandwich was outstanding prepared us for an enjoyable night before watching Jersey Boys. Overall a memorable evening.Special Features:
- Good ExperiencejkdinerDined on 7/24/2014The food is great. We sat at the bar and had a nice dinner including the warm local sourced olives and Happy Hour glass of wine. We finished in plenty of time to make our show at Gammage. Great place to go before a show!Special Features:
- LaniCDined on 7/24/2014Great location before going to the theatre. Food was good but service was lacking. We were there early but the service was still marginal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful foodsassycactusVIPDined on 7/19/2014Great place to relax and enjoy delicious food. Good service and fun atmosphere.Special Features:
- BigLadyDined on 7/9/2014La Bocca easily accomodated our group of 14 and the server did an excellent job keeping up with our orders and changing seats. We had a great time!Special Features:
- Loved it!HappydayzDined on 6/21/2014The pizza reminded us of the pizza we had in Italy. Great wine list, service and ambience! Great little neighborhood gem, much better than a chain restaurant. We will be back.Special Features:
- Little Italy in middle of PhoenixWanderlustLadyDined on 6/15/2014Great pizza selections! Anchovies.......yummy, yummy in my tummy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gourmet PizzasFoodieVIPDined on 6/11/2014Loved the bruschetta samplers - what a great idea to try different flavors. And we only tried two pizzas (only so much one can eat between three people) but they were delicious. Very thin with a fluffy crust. The calzones looked good but very large so we'll try those another time.Special Features:
- Reliably TastyeshenayoDined on 6/7/2014I have had a nice time at this restaurant each time I've eaten here. A great date, girl's night or any time of the day, alone, group or otherwise. I enjoy the bruschetta and the beet salad is delicious.Special Features:
- Great happy hour winescolnatecDined on 6/5/2014The place has a nice ambiance, with couches and tables both, warm lighting. We met an ASU prof there for HH drinks, and prices were great for some really good wines. It wasn't so loud either that we couldn't hear each other or had to scream. It got quite crowded by the time HH was over and they were seating for dinner. They have handcrafted pizzas and pastas, more European style, which I like. Really good food, too, even for a picky ASU student who joined us for dinner. I'm not much of a bread eater (and dessert was a bit pricey for a cookie) but I'd go back in a heartbeat, especially for Happy Hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love place but too loudOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/5/2014Couldn't have conversation except with the person right next to me... too loud and wanted to ask them to turn music down. Food and staff were great, will go back when cooler and can sit outside where not as loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect B-day DinnerplayanDined on 5/27/2014Was the perfect place for a nice family friendly birthday dinner, great seating, yummy pizza, and amazing drinks and desert.Special Features:
- Unbelievable experience!Rpc3Dined on 5/16/2014Great place to go for a late night meal, with your friends or with that special other in your life! Service was great, wonderful food! Quite a find, in the last three months I've returned at least half a dozen or more times!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bruschetta is ridiculousOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/15/2014Love it here. Pizza and other dishes also good, but don't be afraid to make the bruschetta plank your meal...Special Features:
- Excellent pizzaPeytonHDined on 5/11/2014We tried a couple different pizzas and they didn't disappoint. They all were excellent. The pasta was a little overlooked but tasty. Overall great place to meet friends for good and reasonably priced food. Ambiance is very nice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's day at La BoccarxballeDined on 5/11/2014It was a great choice for us. Nice service and ambiance. It wasn't crowded, we had peace and quite and we did not spend a fortune either.Special Features:
- enjoyeatingDined on 5/10/2014Planks were tasty and imaginative. Rustic pizzas had little flavor...not generous enough with toppings and not enough seasoning. Pastas had good flavor based on comments from fellow diners. Atmosphere was nice and the service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food with a cool vibeFoodieAtHeartDined on 5/7/2014We've been here a couple times now and both times it was great. the most recent time we had a larger group than what their reservation policy allowed. We took the largest group we could figuring we would wing it but then called as we got close to our time to see if they could accommodate - and they did. Salads were great - I think our group tried them all this time! Same goes for the pizza! different combinations as well as some classic pairings so something for everyone. Probably some of the best pizza I have had in some time. Service was good despite our large group, which can often be challenging.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PHILOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/3/2014We had a very nice time dining at La Bocca. Food and atmosphere was excellent!Special Features:
- The following 24 reviews are from the La Bocca Urban Pizzeria and Wine Bar reviews archive.
- LovesFoodVIPDined on 5/1/2014Always very good service here. Attentive without being bothersome.I would recommend this to a friend.
- yumladyapeDined on 4/26/2014Food was great. Went to celebrate anniversary. Brussels sprout pizza was delicious.Special Features:
- hopelessdisapointmentDined on 4/24/2014Making a reservation was pointless. Had to wait almost an hour to be seated. Had to remind hostess twice I had a reservation when other walk ins were seated before us. Server was less that pleased to help us. Did not feel welcome at all. Never going back.
- Business dinnerGoodfoodnearairportsDined on 4/16/2014Hotel front desk suggested we go here. 5 minutes from Phoenix airport. Was a great choice, simple food, pizza pasta, done really well. When you don't care for a chain meal...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- European flair on MillAzrogVIPDined on 4/11/2014Well executed and understated. The quality of the food and service at La Bocca is excellent with genuine passion and flair from the kitchen to the front of house staff. Great place, keep up the good work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pleasant surprise in TempeJim7VIPDined on 4/8/2014This was a pleasant surprise in terms of quality of food and service given it's location in a sea of bars/"restaurants" catering to students. If I'm ever going to Gammage again, I'd definitely go here again. The med plate was v. good and the pizzas are v. good. I'd recommend to the kitchen folks a little less oil on everything but still v. good. You may want to mention that to your waiter. The wait staff to include the greeter/seater was v. good and attentive even though being overworked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, Great Atmosphere,OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/31/2014Great food, Great Atmosphere, Great prices and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's not a night clubWolfpackof3Dined on 3/29/2014Overall very nice. Had reservations but still waited about 15 min to seat. Server was friendly and took care of us well enough. One thing is the lack of any uniforms or identification. It appeared as though strangers walked in front heartiest and started serving tables. Ok once you met your server but when someone else comes up you wonder who the heck was that? The music was nice but no need to prove the amps go to eleven. Lots of ambient noise plus the music was a bit much. It's a restaurant, not a night club.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- much better nowOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/25/2014Have been about 20 times and Boca keeps getting better. Wish the menu was a bit bigger but that's really it. Service was great and there is always a good vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a wonderful accidental find.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/19/2014We first found this restaurant at the Mill St. Art Festival last November. It is a gem in the midst of multiple student bars. The food while simple is superbly prepared. The bruschetta (8 kinds) are delicious. The service is superb with a regular visit from the manager who makes the excellent lemoncello ( including blueberry and also lemon-lime). We decided to celebrate our 45th wedding anniversary at La Bocca and did not regret it. This is a wonderfully inviting place to eat. The music was a bit louder than the first time we went; however, we could talk comfortably . Our waitress was first-class. We asked her to spread the mealtime out as it was our anniversary and for each course she asked if we were ready to move on. What a sweetheart!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The service was impeccableOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/16/2014The service was impeccable and the food was OUTSTANDING. Great prices as well!'Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great group experiencerealmc11Dined on 3/14/2014We had a reservation for 10 on a Friday night with no problem making the reservation 1 week out. Had a huge table ready for us when we got there. Wait staff was friendly and knowledgable. Food was great with a moderate selection of wines, beers, and spirits.Special Features:
- Great experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/13/2014We went for our anniversary. The service was great; the server was attentive without being annoying and in our face and really allowed us to enjoy our time as a couple. The atmosphere was cozy and we didn't feel rushed at all. And the food! The food was so delicious and we enjoyed everything we ate! Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot!yummDined on 3/8/2014Took my husband here for his birthday. We were able to sit outside. I loved being able to see the street life while we ate. The service was great. Our waitress, Cassie, was great. The food was excellent. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try it you will like it!Value4MoneyDined on 3/8/2014After reading reviews we decided to try this ourselves and were not disappointed! Well worth a trip,to,downtown Tempe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our first time won't be out lastHereFromTucsonVIPDined on 3/8/2014Hosted a family reunion dinner based on reviews because we are not Phoenix residents. Turned out all the great comments were true. Outstanding location for a tasty meal in a fun spot with superior service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bridal PartyBridalpartyDined on 2/21/2014We came into La Bocca w a bridal party for lunch. They were very accommodating and even helped us w the gifts and throwing away the extra wrapping paper.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.