La Bocca Urban Pizzeria and Wine Bar
699 S. Mill Ave. #115
Tempe, AZ 85281Neighborhood:
PizzeriaPrice: $30 and under
La Bocca Urban Pizzeria and Wine Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.laboccapizzeria.com/
- Phone: 4809675244x
- Hours of Operation:
Mon - Wed 11am - 10pm
Thursday 11am - 11pm
Fri & Sat 11am - 12pm
Sunday 11am - 10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Wine Bar, Pizzeria
- Executive Chef: Mark Dow
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We can provide most items from our in-house menu or create a special menu for your event. Please contact Dulia@ForkAndDagger.com for details.
- Private Party Facilities: While we don't offer an exclusive private dining area we are able to rent out the entire restaurant for private events.
- Private Party Contact: Dulia Yale 4805672600
- Entertainment: Sophisticated, urban playlist. Vintage movies in the evenings.
- Special Events: From groups of 15 or more to wedding rehearsal dinners, weddings and receptions to full corporate buy-outs, contact our Event Coordinator Dulia Yale to learn more. Dulia@ForkAndDagger.com
- Cross Street: 7th Street
- Public Transit: Metro Light Rail (Mill Ave & 3rd Street)
Bus: Valley Metro 66, 45
Orbit: Jupiter & Mercury
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Plenty of on-site parking in surface lots and parking garage. Nearest paid parking is located below us in The Brickyard public garage (enter via 6th or 7th streets), or the public parking structure in Centerpoint by the AMC cinema and rabbit sculptures.
A word from La Bocca Urban Pizzeria and Wine Bar
A revered Tempe staple on Mill Avenue featuring Mediterranean inspired cuisine prepared with locally sourced ingredients and made-to-order. Innovative hand-tossed pizzas, world-famous bruschetta planks, an impressive selection of wines, house-made sangrias and beverages. Whether it’s a power business lunch, intimate dinner, late night dining or drinks, we infuse smooth sophistication into a casual wine bar and pizzeria atmosphere. Dine al fresco or hob knob indoors.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
La Bocca Urban Pizzeria and Wine Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
49 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (19)neighborhood gem (17)notable wine list (17)good for groups (13)great for outdoor dining (12)vibrant bar scene (9)romantic (8)special occasion (8)great for lunch (8)hot spot (8)late-night find (4)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Great Experience!RickDined on 10/5/2014We shared pizzas and appetizers. Everything was exceptional. Service matched the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Night in TempeBosox2004Dined on 9/28/2014Really enjoyed La Bocca. The apps were tasty and we shared several pizzas between 6 of us. Great way to enjoy the many pizza options they have and all were quite good. Service was fantastic and loved the sangria. Definitely a spot to hit when in Tempe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experiencerobbob88Dined on 9/26/2014Yummy food and quick service! Great wine selection as well.Special Features:
- Love this placejulsndebDined on 9/24/2014My friend and I split a salad and one of the pizzas for dinner...it was so delicious, as was our wine. The service was great, the atmosphere was upbeat, but we could still carry on a conversation. This is one of my favorite places to bring family and friends, and it didn't disappoint.Special Features:
- Great food and great valuemechiltonVIPDined on 9/21/2014Limited menu but everything was awesome. Wine prices were great as were the happy hour prices on beer.Special Features:
- bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014The customer service was not up to par. We waited over 50 minutes to get our food and wheb it came out it wasn't right. The waitress didn't handle it well. Also they ran out of pasta and most of our table wanted pasta so they had to get something else.
- Horrible waitressChitowndineDined on 9/19/2014A great little spot on mill, not usually too overcrowded. The meal was great, quality food. This being said, our waitress Jackie was unacceptable. From the minute we walked in Jackie gave us incredible attitude. Ignoring our questions, rolling her eyes, and monotone answers. Took forever and we even saw her talking away with her other friends. Horrible waitress, incredibly disrespectful and rude.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite spotLafingalphxDined on 9/19/2014I have been coming here since it opened and it never disappoints. They have a great beer and wine selection, La Fin du Monde is my favorite. I always love the cheese plate and the med plate. It has the best selection of items and large enough that sometimes with a friend that's all we order but if you want pizza, the Brussel sprout pizza is the way to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere and tastyDine2azDined on 9/19/2014Came here with sister in-law and 3 13 year olds. Sat outside. All liked the food and nice atmosphere. Good for families, couples, and friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food OK, Very noisyDaveAZDined on 9/17/2014The food was fine, but the noise was so loud we had to nearly shout. Also, the tables are tiny for 4 people if you have a salad and an entrée. On the PLUS side, it is very popular.
- Disappointing ExperienceWlynnVIPDined on 9/17/2014First, I'd like to caution everyone that La Bocca DOES NOT take reservations. What you "reserve" here on Open Table is actually just a call-ahead spot, which you learn when they confirm day-of. Extra star for our server, she was amazing. I'll keep this brief: Gammage tickets, 530 "reservation". We were seated at 6PM, ordered drinks and food by 610, had not gotten our entrees (pasta) by 7PM. We decided to call it and leave without dinner. We had our check already, wanting to make it quick when the time came to leave, so we left cash to cover the drinks and tip the server and left. You'd think this had been their first evening with a play rush.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/16/2014Very convenient to Gammage. Get there 2 hrs before the show and make reservations. Food is good to very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming!Nums23Dined on 9/13/2014We were looking for a place where my girl friends and I could do a get together. And we found the perfect spot. La Bocca had great pizza and drinks (especially their sangria). Hope go there soon!Special Features:
- Reservations here are pointlessbmferrillDined on 9/12/2014Made a dinner reservation for eight people two weeks before my girlfriend's birthday. We showed up on time, but the restaurant made us wait 45 minutes to get seated. One of the two tables of four they were going to use for our party was being used by four incredibly inconsiderate women who had already paid their bill and decided to sit and chat with each other as if the world was theirs and we were just living in it. The staff at La Bocca seemed to agree and didn't disturb the women. It was only after we waited 30 minutes did they tell me they were "gently trying to get them to leave". The manager tried to make up for it by buying us each a shot but in the end our waitress salvaged the night for us and them but we will never be back.
- 8/31/2014Cscblue14Dined on 8/30/2014Sorry , but checked reviews before going. Was in town from North Carolina, but food was really bad. Had pasta rustica, and a pizza which was poor as well. Service was fine. Creme brûlée really good, but all in all 2 stars tops.Special Features:
- Good foodAsufanDined on 8/1/2014We really like this place. The pizza is good, the calzone is amazing!! Extensive wine list, nice atmosphere. The only negative was the service....really slow but it was a Friday night and it was packed out so that's to be expected I guess. We will definately be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good findCandaceDined on 7/30/2014I had a girls night out and went to La Bocca for pre-theater dinner. The food was delicious and reasonably priced. Nice wine list and great sangria. The service was prompt and friendly. All four of us would most definitely go back, especially when the weather is nice enough to take advantage of their patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okay overallPKdinersDined on 7/29/2014Food was good, but service was very slow, and this was a Tuesday night. We were seated for at least 10 minutes before a waiter even came by to take our drink order. Then it took another 10 minutes to get our wine. Although we ordered as quickly as we could, it still took a long time to get our food--just a salad and a pizza! Since we had theater reservations we had to be out of there by 7. Our dinner reservation was at 6 and we got there at 10 of. By the time we got our food we had to scarf it down fast. Also, seating seems to be designed for groups and drinkers rather than couples eating dinner. This is NOT a place for a special or romantic dinner for two. Overall, not a great dining experience.
- No Reservations?SteakLoverVIPDined on 7/27/2014I'm not sure why LaBocca participates in Open Table. I booked a reservation for 4 on a Sunday at 5:00 pm because we had show tickets at 6:30. When we arrived, the hostess said they don't take reservations and that they would seat us as soon as possible. There was an empty table for 4, but she said the table was reserved ????? Made no sense! We ended up sitting at the bar, and the manager apologized for the confusion and bought us a round of drinks. It was a nice gesture, but don't count on your reservation meaning anything.
- Pre Jersey BoystutdoyDined on 7/24/2014First time at this restaurant, the restaurant called a hour before my reservation suggesting to come in early because of the Gammage event. We came in early and the Host seated us immediately, the server was prompt and friendly. The meatball pasta and sandwich was outstanding prepared us for an enjoyable night before watching Jersey Boys. Overall a memorable evening.Special Features:
- Good ExperiencejkdinerDined on 7/24/2014The food is great. We sat at the bar and had a nice dinner including the warm local sourced olives and Happy Hour glass of wine. We finished in plenty of time to make our show at Gammage. Great place to go before a show!Special Features:
- LaniCDined on 7/24/2014Great location before going to the theatre. Food was good but service was lacking. We were there early but the service was still marginal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful foodsassycactusVIPDined on 7/19/2014Great place to relax and enjoy delicious food. Good service and fun atmosphere.Special Features:
- BigLadyDined on 7/9/2014La Bocca easily accomodated our group of 14 and the server did an excellent job keeping up with our orders and changing seats. We had a great time!Special Features:
- Loved it!HappydayzDined on 6/21/2014The pizza reminded us of the pizza we had in Italy. Great wine list, service and ambience! Great little neighborhood gem, much better than a chain restaurant. We will be back.Special Features:
- The following 37 reviews are from the La Bocca Urban Pizzeria and Wine Bar reviews archive.
- Little Italy in middle of PhoenixWanderlustLadyDined on 6/15/2014Great pizza selections! Anchovies.......yummy, yummy in my tummy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gourmet PizzasFoodieVIPDined on 6/11/2014Loved the bruschetta samplers - what a great idea to try different flavors. And we only tried two pizzas (only so much one can eat between three people) but they were delicious. Very thin with a fluffy crust. The calzones looked good but very large so we'll try those another time.Special Features:
- Reliably TastyeshenayoDined on 6/7/2014I have had a nice time at this restaurant each time I've eaten here. A great date, girl's night or any time of the day, alone, group or otherwise. I enjoy the bruschetta and the beet salad is delicious.Special Features:
- Great happy hour winescolnatecDined on 6/5/2014The place has a nice ambiance, with couches and tables both, warm lighting. We met an ASU prof there for HH drinks, and prices were great for some really good wines. It wasn't so loud either that we couldn't hear each other or had to scream. It got quite crowded by the time HH was over and they were seating for dinner. They have handcrafted pizzas and pastas, more European style, which I like. Really good food, too, even for a picky ASU student who joined us for dinner. I'm not much of a bread eater (and dessert was a bit pricey for a cookie) but I'd go back in a heartbeat, especially for Happy Hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love place but too loudOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/5/2014Couldn't have conversation except with the person right next to me... too loud and wanted to ask them to turn music down. Food and staff were great, will go back when cooler and can sit outside where not as loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect B-day DinnerplayanDined on 5/27/2014Was the perfect place for a nice family friendly birthday dinner, great seating, yummy pizza, and amazing drinks and desert.Special Features:
- Unbelievable experience!Rpc3Dined on 5/16/2014Great place to go for a late night meal, with your friends or with that special other in your life! Service was great, wonderful food! Quite a find, in the last three months I've returned at least half a dozen or more times!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bruschetta is ridiculouslectrongrlVIPDined on 5/15/2014Love it here. Pizza and other dishes also good, but don't be afraid to make the bruschetta plank your meal...Special Features:
- Excellent pizzaPeytonHDined on 5/11/2014We tried a couple different pizzas and they didn't disappoint. They all were excellent. The pasta was a little overlooked but tasty. Overall great place to meet friends for good and reasonably priced food. Ambiance is very nice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's day at La BoccarxballeDined on 5/11/2014It was a great choice for us. Nice service and ambiance. It wasn't crowded, we had peace and quite and we did not spend a fortune either.Special Features:
- enjoyeatingDined on 5/10/2014Planks were tasty and imaginative. Rustic pizzas had little flavor...not generous enough with toppings and not enough seasoning. Pastas had good flavor based on comments from fellow diners. Atmosphere was nice and the service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food with a cool vibeFoodieAtHeartDined on 5/7/2014We've been here a couple times now and both times it was great. the most recent time we had a larger group than what their reservation policy allowed. We took the largest group we could figuring we would wing it but then called as we got close to our time to see if they could accommodate - and they did. Salads were great - I think our group tried them all this time! Same goes for the pizza! different combinations as well as some classic pairings so something for everyone. Probably some of the best pizza I have had in some time. Service was good despite our large group, which can often be challenging.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PHILOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/3/2014We had a very nice time dining at La Bocca. Food and atmosphere was excellent!Special Features:
- LovesFoodVIPDined on 5/1/2014Always very good service here. Attentive without being bothersome.I would recommend this to a friend.
- yumladyapeDined on 4/26/2014Food was great. Went to celebrate anniversary. Brussels sprout pizza was delicious.Special Features: