La Bocca della Verita
4618 N. Lincoln Ave.
Chicago, IL 60625Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
La Bocca della Verita
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://laboccachicago.com/
- Phone: 7737846222
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Friday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 5:00pm; Dinner: Everyday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Pizzeria
- Executive Chef: Liz D'Ortenzi
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: La Bocca della Verita can cater food to your event and cook on site if you'd like.
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining is available for groups of all sizes.
- Private Party Contact: Liz D'Otenzi 8478774814
A word from La Bocca della Verita
Cesare and Liz D'Ortenzi opened this trattoria in 1990. Italian recipes with the freshest ingredients and the most authentic Italian products including fresh bufula mozzarella from Naples,Italy, has created the measure of good Italian food. La Bocca offers casual fine dining which creates a pleasant dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
La Bocca della Verita reviews from OpenTable diners
- great food hope bocca reopens soon3at3rVIPDined on 1/4/2014great food very classic italian hope they reopen soonSpecial Features:
- So sad it's closingjlo1VIPDined on 1/4/2014We went for one last time to Bocca after more than a decade of being regular patrons. We will miss the duck ravioli particularly -- a dish truly unique to this restaurant. We've heard a reinvented version will open on Lawrence Avenue and we hope that's true.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fond farewellDaveinChicagoVIPDined on 1/2/2014La Boca has been a fixture in Lincoln Square since 1990 and I've often dined here over the years! Sadly, Boca is closing on January 4. Four of us had a lovely meal on Thursday. We each ordered favorite dishes. The owner, Liz D'Ortenzi , waited on us, which made the meal a bit more special! I enjoyed every morsel of my lemon chicken and my dining companions seemed relish every bite of their dishes as well. Our regret from this meal (aside from very loud children at the next table with oblivious parents) was no room for dessert. Liz noted she is opening a takeout place on Lawrence. I look forward to enjoying some of her amazing cuisine there. The Square will be a poorer place with Boca's closing. I'll miss coming here! Good luck , Liz!Special Features:
- Adore this place!!kernDined on 12/31/2013My boyfriend took me here last year for the first time and I immediately fell in love. Not only is it quaint and the waitstaff are sweet, but the food is to die for! Need I say more than... homemade duck ravioli? Been there twice on New Year's Eve and everything is just as perfect :) Possibly my new favorite restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Italian GemTonyVIPDined on 12/14/2013This is a favorite Italian spot for us with a diverse and interesting menu. Lot's of good pasta and entree selections. Service is always quick and friendly. They have their own oven which provides and never ending supply of delicious breads to dip in the EVO poured into plates at your table. Major inconvenience right now is that they've dropped their liquor license and you need to pop across the street to buy a bottle of vino.Special Features:
- Just OKOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/14/2013the food was pretty good, but the service was marginal. 5 of 6 were served right away, the 6th meal showed up 5-7 minutes later and it was wrong. because we had a time commitment, there wasn't time to send it back. nothing special about the place, so wouldn't make an effort to return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice, friendly staff,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/7/2013Very nice, friendly staff, quiet spot (but second room for families), very good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this charming placeLizBChicagoVIPDined on 11/30/2013I just love teh old-school European, family-run vibe of the place. They just went BYOB - which I love - and I tried the pizza for the first time. not Naples-style, but pretty damn good.
- Just what we wantedZeldaDined on 11/2/2013We had just a Saturday night in Chicago. We drove up from St. louis to meet dear friends who were in from Stockholm. We wanted a very good neighborhood restaurant with moderately priced food, friendly service and a place where we could share a leisurely meal. La Bocca della Verita was all that. I heartily recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A "go to" for our familyJoeFDined on 10/12/2013Great place! Excellent food at reasonable prices. It's the first Italian restaurant we think of in the Lincoln square/Ravenswood/Bowmanville/Uptown/North Center areas. They seemed a bit unprepared for the heavy traffic due to pre-marathon carb loading last Saturday, but they were friendly and worked hard to give us a great dining experience. Keep in mind, they are BYOB now so make sure you hit the wine store across the street before dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ItalianTonyVIPDined on 10/5/2013We go here often. A terrific selection of Italian pastas and meat dishes. Bread made fresh in their own ovens. Now BYOB, but there is a great wine shop right across the street and corkage fee is negligible.Special Features:
- Great dinner, as usualDaveinChicagoVIPDined on 9/29/2013We have been to Boca many times over the years. This time, we had dinner with a treasured friend and we all enjoyed our food a great deal. We had a delicious meal, starting with their version of caprese. My friend and I shared the salmon and a fresh pasta and artichoke special. The salmon was perfectly cooked and extremely flavorful. The pasta sauce was complex and worked quite well with the asparagus. I might have cooked the pasta a shade longer but I think that is just my personal preference. My partner had a delicious mushroom ravioli. We were very full and had to pass on dessert. Boca recently went to a BYOB policy and there is a great wine store across the street!Special Features:
- The food was good, serviceTitaVIPDined on 9/29/2013The food was good, service was good, staff was friendly, courteous and attentive. I will definitely go back to this restaurant, and will definitely bring our bottle of wine, we went on a Sunday, just 5 days after the restaurant had gone BYOB and we not aware of it. Cannot wait to go back to the restaurant.Special Features:
- new twistDavidVIPDined on 9/28/2013i have been to bocca many times over the years and suggest it for a great neighborhood eatery. they do have wood fired pizza as a recent addition, last couple years or so. but the newest twist is that it is byob now. i had no idea when i took my parents for a dinner there. luckily just across lincoln is a wine store whose business has dramatically increased in the last month due to the change at bocca. but the food was great and it is always nice to sit outside.Special Features:
- Dining outside on a beautifulOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/14/2013Dining outside on a beautiful and lively evening was a real treat. Service was friendly and attentive. As far as the food, flavors were muted well beyond what salt or pepper could mend. It was the real disappointment to what would have been a great dining experience. With so many neighborhood options, I'm not certain we would return.
- Pleasantly surprisedBelle60657Dined on 9/7/2013I'd never been to this place before and when I arrived was slightly worried that it was a casual mom and pop joint given its décor and lack of hostess area. It just doesn't come off as a trendy Lincoln Square dining establishment. But were we ever pleasantly surprised - the food was hands-down the best Italian I've eaten in years - from the hand made bread and appetizers to the unique, delicious entrees and specialty desserts. Even the drinks were great! I will go back here in a heartbeat and have already recommended it to many friends who are also excited about going now too. Dining snobs: leave your ambience attitude at the door and just sit down and eat - this place is a hidden gem!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New favoritesuperflyDined on 9/6/2013My girlfriend, her father, and I tried this place based on the recommendation of a friend. We have been to Italian restaurants in the city charging over three times the price we paid here, but we have not had better food. The signature bruschetta de bolla is an excellent way to start. I had my standard veal saltimbocca and it was the best I've ever had. Similar reviews came for the other dishes on the table (bolognese and tortellini). The service was slow at times, but this is one of those places where it was generally overshadowed by the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second time back..MikeBikerVIPDined on 8/24/2013Want to "like" this place in Lincoln Square to support the locals but like the first time, the food is just okay and the service is fair. The pastas were either under or over cooked. Service was inconsistent and they pretty much take the order, deliver the food and later the bill. My other half pointed out to me no one even says "Thank you" or even acknowledges you upon leaving.
- Thank you for a wonderful birthday!LeahVIPDined on 8/24/2013Thank you to the staff on Saturday night, 8/24/13, who accommodated 12 people for a birthday dinner! You really went above and beyond and made my birthday a wonderful evening. Thank you especially to Roberta, our server, who took wonderful care of us! Thank you for accommodating us outside, for making excellent wine recommendations, for bringing us antipasti when our food took a little longer than you thought it should, and for just being a kind person. I live in this neighborhood and La Bocca is part of why I love it!Special Features:
- Great food & service. Tight fit.cornell1Dined on 8/23/2013Great food and friendly service! :) However it's a little cramped (probably par for the course in terms of city dining). Nevertheless, when we arrived for a Friday, 7:30 dinner reservation, we were asked to wait just a moment while our table was prepared. No big deal at all, but the default waiting area by the entrance/seating host was right in the way for the waiters to get the water pitcher. It created an awkward traffic jam. The waiters were very nice about it, but it wasn't very efficient--the four of us felt very in the way. Probably not the best for large groups. Space is limited.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Carbonara ROCKS!johnwpDined on 8/3/2013Everything we had - fried calamari, arancini, bruschetta, duck ravioli, mushroom lasagna and spaghetti carbonara - was delicious! The carbonara was my total favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/28/2013Loved our appetizers, 4 different entrees, 4 home runs. Recommend the pasta in any form, perfect sized portions, & wonderful sauces. Our service was spot on, w/out being in your face. Will definitely return!Special Features:
- Nice neighborhood italianDFIDinerVIPDined on 7/20/2013Nice neighborhood italian restaurant. Nice selection on menu. Decent prices. Arancini appetizer was so-so. Main courses were good. Drinks are pretty small. Outdoor seating is along Lincoln, but not busy a busy stretch.
- Timing and ServiceGypsyDDined on 6/29/2013We were fortunate to dine when we did (about 6:00 on Saturday night). Roberta (our favorite server) was not overwhelmed by orders and the room was not so full that our hearing-aided friend could not follow and join in the conversation. The Dark Chocolate Flute was so attractive when I saw it delivered to an adjacent table I asked what it was, then two of the three of us added it to our meal. The third one chose the tiramisu. Our pear and our fig salads were delightful and served well to prepare for the entrees. By the time we left the restaurant, the tables were filled, the noise level was really picking up, and there was a line of people waiting for tables. Reservations via Open Table are great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Four of us dined MemorialDisappointedVIPDined on 5/26/2013Four of us dined Memorial Day weekend.Excellent waitress!The warm bread,the pizza, and a couple of pasta dishes where good.The calamari appetizer and the octopus entree were both tough.The pears in my salad weren't ripe. Our busboy did not want to be where he was. He removed the silverware from our plates by tipping the plate and allowing the silverware to slide off onto the table.Our friend who had the calamari appetizer with the marinara sauce barely avoided being splattered by the sauce but had a big red spot on his dining section. The busboy did not apologize.Returning with the extra napkins I had requested he just dumped them in the middle of the table! The coffee could be upgraded. The sorbets were delicious.Our waitress was great!Special Features:
- DisappointingHungryAsianChickVIPDined on 5/26/2013Other reviewers were NOT kidding when they said that La Bocca needed a facelift. And they were out of the two bottles of wine I selected. Food was OK; but hard to get past the atmosphere.
- Like a rockOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/25/2013I went with a group of friends to La Bocca. We made a reservation on short notice. The restaurant was relatively full but not packed. The food was wonderful. Duck ravioli, pasta puttanesca, pizza, a few salads. Nice, very reasonable wines. We were all happy with our choices. Overall, excellent food, great ingredients, great value, and not particularly trendy. Thank goodness.Special Features:
- We met at the restaurant withOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/21/2013We met at the restaurant with friends for an early dinner so we could go to a show to the nearby Old Town School of Folk Music. We had a very good time. Salads and main courses were very good as was the nice bottle of Pinot Grigio. The place was quiet and we were able to chat comfortably. The service was pleasant, on time and not intrusive. Overall a very good experience. We will do it again and we recommend the restaurant.Special Features:
- Food was good, but the placeOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/5/2013Food was good, but the place itself could use a face lift. It looks very run down.
- My wife and I found La BoccaOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 3/23/2013My wife and I found La Bocca through Open Table while looking for a kid-friendly restaurant in Lincoln Square to eat out with our 6-month infant on a Saturday night. It was a smashing success, and we highly recommend it. The food was great, the service was great, and it was very kid-friendly. We will definitely be eating here again soon.Special Features:
- Long-time fansOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/17/2013Always a favorite of ours. Linguini w clams was so perfectly cooked and flavorful. The only negative is that I much prefer the bread they used to serve.Special Features:
- The greatest food in the world,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2013The greatest food in the world, created and served by the greatest people in the world.Special Features:
- Food and bread are all homeOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/2/2013Food and bread are all home made. Delicious. Staff is happy and proud to work there. Very upbeat and positive place.Special Features:
- A quiet night at the restaurantFSCChicagoDined on 1/28/2013A quiet night at the restaurant with wonderful service, authentic food, and relaxed casual atmosphere. Great place before a movie at the Davis.
- La Bocca is one of our favoritesOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 1/27/2013La Bocca is one of our favorites - the food is always fantastic. We had a wonderful array of pastas and meat courses.Special Features:
- the food is very very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 1/21/2013the food is very good some of the best italian in Chicago the restaurant needs a facelift it looks tired the staff is wonderful thenservice is very attentive
- Not the best Italian food.OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 1/11/2013Not the best Italian food. Disappointing. Bread was fair, special appetizer ordered was bland,It had a variety of different foods on the plate (eggplant, rapini, mushrooms,all tastesless) and served cold.Somethings on the plate couldn't even identify. Will never be returning due to its poor food, it was convenient because it was close to the theatre. Also, poor wine list by the glass.
- From the reviews, I was expecting/hOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/31/2012From the reviews, I was expecting/hoping for a "hip" night out - you know, the feeling like you're in the right spot. Nice mood/ambiance, more contemporary. The restaurant itself was rather old school - felt old school, smelled old school, kind of used up. The food was solid - not awesome, but solid. If I had gone in with no expectations, I would've been pleased (dining experience exceeded expectations if you were judging the book by its cover ). Going in with expectations (this was New Year's Eve, 4+ stars on Yelp, Zagat approved), I was a little disappointed, felt like we missed the boat a bit. Lincoln Square is a happening neighborhood, this place not quite. Waitress was a doll, though, and as we left, line had formed. So maybe try againSpecial Features:
- Good laid back mealJudgemugDined on 12/27/2012Tell the truth theme so we mist be honest. Good for movie buffs with a unique theme matching b/w cinema. Liked the mozzarella and arugula apple appetizer. Good standard Italian fare. Clams dishes sounded interesting yet hey ran out ahead of our order. Wonderful lemmonotta aperteif finish. Solid restaurant good front of the house and well dished presentations from the kitchen. Would return or have friends try.Special Features:
- Christmas EveOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/24/2012Christmas Eve we started with the Calamari appetizer which was tender and juicy, then we each enjoyed a different Veal Entree' with a plate of Carbonara shared by the table along with a very nive bottle of Italian Chianti. We have eaten here multiple times and have always enjoyed the food and the service is always excellent.Special Features: