218 N. Lee Street
Alexandria, VA 22314Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.labergerie.com/
- Phone: (703) 683-1007
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Basque, French
- Executive Chef: Vincent Damman
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call the restaurant for details.
- Private Party Facilities: La Bergerie can accommodate up to 50 people in one of the private room. 24 in another room and 150 for the whole restaurant.
- Private Party Contact: Laurent Janowsky 7036831007
- Entertainment: A strolling violinist is on hand during special occassions like, Valentine's day, Easter, Mother's day, Xmas Eve and New Year's Eve.
A word from La Bergerie
Located in the heart of Old Town Alexandria, Virginia, La Bergerie offers a cozy and relaxed setting in a historic brick warehouse. Whether it's an intimate lunch or dinner, a special occasion or business affair, La Bergerie's gracious and attentive staff will make your experience memorable.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
La Bergerie - Best Restaurants in Alexandria ›
La Bergerie reviews from OpenTable diners
156 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (114)romantic (98)fit for foodies (82)notable wine list (67)neighborhood gem (59)great for lunch (14)good for groups (10)late-night find (5)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Dinner at La BergeriemmmvaDined on 8/23/2014This restaurant definitely met my expectations for deliciously prepared foods. The wait service was excellent as was the personal touch from the owner. We were unaware of restaurant week in Old Town when we visited the restaurant. The limited menu offered at restaurants during this time is not what our group expected. At first we were disappointed to hear of the limitation of menu items. The owner came by and gladly offered additional selections on the regular menu. We were delighted that he expanded our choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PhillypinoyDined on 8/22/2014Wonderful surprise in the middle of the dessert soufflé.Special Features:
- The Perfect Go-To RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/22/2014When the meal needs to be perfect, & the service, exquisite, La Bergerie is without peer.Special Features:
- Poor service & food, high costWellTraveledDinerVIPDined on 8/22/2014Lunch was a real disappointment. Service wasn't exactly friendly, one diner’s salad was so-so, and the waiter almost dumped a puff pastry tart into another diner’s lap. The salmon I had was tiny, less than 3 ounces – usually fingerling potatoes mean 2 or 3 but they served one in quarters, two meager spears of asparagus, and about a tablespoon of ratatouille. Meanwhile, we had to ask for more bread, my coffee cup was dirty, another diner's tea was not served with our wine, and as a final note of this lunch, the ladies room was out of service and I had to go searching for someone to show me a very seedy alternative. We’ll not be going back … very poor for a pricey cost.
- Good food/wine, excellent serviceMHOMDined on 8/21/2014The menu is traditional, with dishes that can be hard to find these days. This is one of the few places where you can still get a soufflé, escargots, and steak a la poivre. The presentation and preparation are very good. The wine list is good, with some very expensive choices, but also some that are reasonable for the rest of us. We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed My First TimeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014This was my first time at the restaurant and I will definitely return.Special Features:
- Enjoyable diningOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/20/2014We found La Bergerie to be very enjoyable dining. We would recommend this restaurant to friends.Special Features:
- Our Go-to Special PlaceeclipsegroupieVIPDined on 8/20/2014We love La Bergerie. The food is excellent and the atmosphere in their dining foom always gives our meal a very special feeling. If we lived closer, we'd eat there a lot. As it is, we try to get there once or twice a year and especially on those special occasions when we want a great meal.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014Loved it! Excellent food and wine list. Amazing service. Made us feel like VIPs. Will be coming back for every special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A step down from usualCShellDined on 8/19/2014We dined here during restaurant week. It was a step down from their usual high-quality food and service. The food selection was good, but some of the dishes were undercooked. They were probably trying to go fast for a big crowd. This is usually a 4+ star restaurant. We are hoping it will be back after restaurant week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden Gem!MikedDined on 8/19/2014This place is amazing we enjoy this place so much we have been going almost weekly! I promise it is the best food in Oldtown....it is a hidden Gem off of king st, it is a elegant place so leave the flip flops and shorts at home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/19/2014Always a superb dining experience. The service was professional, attentive, but subtle. The tomato bisque was delicious as were the scallops and the roasted pork. One of the best restaurants in Old Town -- never disappoints.Special Features:
- Not as good as it used to beFoodieVIPDined on 8/18/2014They have gotten really cheap for restaurant week. The menu is not even close to there normal menu and they continue to want to up charge you for everything. I've been there in the past for restraunt week as well and it was way better in years past. This place is going down hill.Special Features:
- A lovely eveningChowhoundDined on 8/18/2014The staff at La Bergerie were very friendly and accommodating - the waiter was able to recommend good wines and the manager came around several times to ensure that we were happy with everything. The appetizers and entrees were very good and the Grand Marnier souffle was fantastic. We'll definitely be coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food - Service LackingHarleyDDined on 8/17/2014Chose La Bergerie for RW as it's nearby and had been on our short list. It was easy to find and we were seated right away. The Maitre-'d delivered menus and a speedy brief on the specials which the wife and I only caught bits and pieces of. The waitress finally showed up and the soup of the day was explained - a potato and apple bacon with spinach puree, and my wife ordered it. I went for the scallops. Both appetizers were very good and presented with a large basket of french bread that was excellent. For entrees', I chose steak and wife chose the chicken and both were tasty. Slow to arrive desserts were creme brule' and a puff pastry, excellent. Then the long wait for our check. A wonderful meal sadly marred by slow inattentive service.Special Features:
- lovely dinberskygrlDined on 8/17/2014hadn't been to la bergerie for years. it was a pleasant surprise. the food was wonderful, the service terrofic, and the soufles were fab!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really niceHighlanderDined on 8/17/2014This is a gem, tucked upstairs in a quieter part of Old Town. It's small and intimate, but not at all stuffy. I had duck confit, and my partner had a filet mignon. Both were prepared perfectly. It's a great place, and we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, but . . .Luv2dineDined on 8/17/2014It was restaurant week, and perhaps that was why we felt so rushed. The garçon was just too attentive, taking away our plates before we had swallowed our last mouthfuls of each course. As we were finishing our desert, the whole table was cleared by two servers - even the salt and pepper went! We were still drinking our wine. What a subtle hint for us to vacate our seats. The check then arrived and we weren't even asked if we would like coffee. Shame, as the food was truly delicious.
- Nice for a changeHipsterLiteDined on 8/17/2014My best friend from high school and I decided we needed to try something we would never eat on a regular girls night out. So it was Restaurant Week, prix fixe, and we decided on French. I thought the food was tasty and well-prepared. I had a portabella appetizer that didn't thrill me. My entree was duck, and it was done well, tender and juicy. I probably won't go back, but that's not a reflection on the restaurant, but rather on my proximity. I recommend it if you live in the area and want something a bit special.Special Features:
- 21 Excellent MealsLarryVIPDined on 8/16/2014My wife and were both pleased with our Restaurant week selections. The staff was very busy with the large crowd, but service did not sufferI would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant week and superblhmiVIPDined on 8/16/2014The restaurant week crowd on Saturday was large, but La Bergerie cut no corners. Food was outstanding. Service was "busy" in order to handle the crowd (normally, service is a bit more elegantly leisured but remained polished and attentive). We were nearly the last to leave, and the staff (exhausted) was still gracious. We look forward to a return when we are in the area.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodRobertDined on 8/16/2014Food was well prepared and quite good. Waiters were attentive without being "on top" of you. On overall pleasant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week ReviewhealthypersonthatdrinksDined on 8/16/2014We did the 3 course meal prix fixe for Alexandria Restaurant Week. Needless to say, being a fancy little French place, the portions are small, so don't go into it starving but go into it knowing you are going to get an elegant, small meal. Having an appetizer is a must. Great ambience, server wasn't super attentive (we drink a lot of water, and were waiting for wine orders) but she was very friendly nonetheless.Special Features:
- 1st visitKMCfromDCVIPDined on 8/16/20141st time here for Restaurant Week. We enjoyed ourselves. Food was great. Will visit again.Special Features:
- QuaintSocretsDined on 8/16/2014The restaurant itself was very nice, but was fairly dark and appeared to be a little bit dusty as well. However, I liked the appearance overall. The chairs were very comfortable and the table was big enough to fit my entire party. The food was fairly good overall with the steak and the soup was good but was a little to peppery for my taste. The service was very good and the waiter knew the menu and wine list very well. The party enjoyed his recommendations and he knew how to properly pair them.Special Features:
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/15/2014We made a last minute reservation for a birthday celebration and had a great time. We would definitely come here again. We were not rushed, the waiter's recommendations were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will go againSimipletonDined on 8/15/2014We had a very good experience and will go again very soon. The staff was very attentive and the service was very prompt. I would give it Excellent rating but there is always slight room for improvement.Special Features:
- Great souffles!!SebaDined on 8/15/2014We recently went for restaurant week and to show this wonderful little gem to my mother in law. The food was excellent and the dessert as always, delicious! I highly recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:
- Lots of Wines by the GlassbatgirlieDined on 8/15/2014I was impressed with the long list of wines by the glass, which works out great if you like to pair wines with different courses. We ordered from the Restaurant week menu. Some of it was good and some was not. The escargot appetizer and mushroom soup aps were OK, not great but acceptable. The duck confit entree was really fantastic; but the profiteroles served for dessert tasted stale and old. And the chocolate sauce tasted like it was out of a jar. My dinner companion had a souffle dessert, which was considerably better than the profiteroles - altho far from perfect. The egg whites weren't completely incorporated into the rest of the souffle. The star of the dinner was the service, which was really good. I would try it on a regular night.Special Features:
- Tres CharmantRestaurantWeekRWVIPDined on 8/15/2014Can't believe I had never been to La Bergerie but will certainly return. Wonderful throw back to the era of escargot, profliterones and the Julia Child of my childhood outside Boston. We had a thoroughly delicious classic French meal in a lovely setting. Food and service were excellent. It was the perfect place for ladies to lunch and lunch we did.Special Features:
- Great food but...DangerousMouseDined on 8/14/2014My wife and I went came here for restaurant week and had the 3 course dinner. While the food was wonderful, the service was not. The server rushed us through the entire meal to the point that the clean-up staff kept trying to remove my dessert while I was still eating it. We barely had time to enjoy one course before they were trying to take our dishes away and give us the next one. The really frustrating part was the server hovering over our table waiting for is to pay the check and making sighing noises. To me this is simply not acceptable at a nicer restaurant like this. I go to Chipotle when I'm in a hurry and I go somewhere like this when I want to enjoy a romantic dinner with my wife. Not sure if I would come back here.
- La BergerieRecceDined on 8/14/2014One of our favorite restaurants. A gem. Great food, great service, excellent wine selection. Special attention to regulars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eveningenduroDined on 8/13/2014My girlfriend and I attended during restaurant week and her birthday. Ate from the fix prix menu mine was good but not great. Very good time. Great special occasion place but did not feel like a drop in place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming but lackingDeLeslieDined on 8/13/2014The restaurant is charming and the staff excellent. The noise level was high due likely to the brick walls bouncing the sound. The restaurant was not crowded.The much touted Dover sole not on the restaurant week offering which was no surprise. The selections for each of the three courses was impressive. Sadly the food was unimpressive. Bland scallop appetizers were helped with the seaweed side, the crab cake was virtually tasteless even with the saffron sauce. The chicken cordon bleu was a better choice. The soufflés were attractive but too wet inside and the raspberry was cloyingly sweet with an unpleasant texture. The hazelnut was better. With all the choices in historic Alexandria, I doubt I'll return.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/13/2014My girlfriend and I dined here to try out the restaurant during the Restaurant Week. Overall, the food was good but not great. I would expect more creativity from the french cuisine restaurant. The most annoying thing was a person who takes away plates, etc. He was extremely aggressive in clearing the plates that at some point I had to confront him when he asked me whether I was finished while I still had half a plate full and a fork in my hand. I have never had anything like this happened in any restaurant, let alone a high end restaurant. I thought that perhaps they were trying to turn the table over to serve other guests but such treatment wasn't called for. I don't think I'll be returning.
- The perfect lunchSteveMVDined on 8/13/2014We came to celebrate a birthday. The atmosphere was serene, the service was prompt and attentive without being "clingy." The food came straight from the kitchen hot and ready - it had not been waiting under a heat lamp for a server to get around to it. The menu offerred in its dozen or so main courses a broad enough selection to find a couple of competing choices. We plan to return to try the others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Good, Proprietor not so much!peterDined on 8/12/2014A friend and I went to La Bergerie last Tuesday for their "Restaurant Week" fare. The sirloin steak entree was very good and the service was attentive and pleasant . I had read online that $2.00 would be deducted from the check to "subsidize" the parking fee at a nearby lot. The owner came to the table and confirmed that early in the evening. Later I receive my check and the $2.00 had not been subtracted. The owner when questioned, in a rude and scolding tone informed me it would be done after I gave him my credit card, and added how long he had been running the establishment. He'll be running it without my money!!Special Features:
- Don't do it!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/11/2014My new wife and I stopped by for our honeymoon dinner expecting much, receiving little. The duck confit was good but everything else was lacking. The decor was dusty with black spots on the curtains. The carrot soup my wife had was terrible. The soup lacked the natural sweetness of carrots and the cilantro pesto did not compliment it. The soufflé is suppose to be light, fluffy and warm all the way through. It was cold heavy and weird in texture. The creme brulee, tasted like it was made with banana and bruleed one day prior to me being there. It was gross. Only ate one bite.
- Great...Yet Again and AgainThadVIPDined on 8/11/2014We've been coming here to celebrate special occasions for many years, but now since they've added weekly "specials' we've learned to take advantage of these, on the spur of the moment. The Restaurant Week menu provided ample choices and each dish promised more goodness than the last. My Duck leg confit over mushroom rizotto was superb...the Dover Sole substitution was priced maybe a bit high but it was absolutely worth it; the crab cake was large, perfectly prepeared with very little filler. The Grand Marnier and Raspberry soufflé desserts were just to die for. Take it from this foodie, food writer and cook book author, La Bergerie is pure dining pleasure, over and over again.Special Features:
- Romantic eveningfrenchfoodgalDined on 8/4/2014Everything here is fantastic ... the ambiance, the service, the food, the drinks. I was at this restaurant twenty years ago and it was wonderful then and still wonderfulSpecial Features: