218 N. Lee Street
Alexandria, VA 22314Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.labergerie.com/
- Phone: (703) 683-1007
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Basque, French
- Executive Chef: Vincent Damman
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call the restaurant for details.
- Private Party Facilities: La Bergerie can accommodate up to 50 people in one of the private room. 24 in another room and 150 for the whole restaurant.
- Private Party Contact: Laurent Janowsky 7036831007
- Entertainment: A strolling violinist is on hand during special occassions like, Valentine's day, Easter, Mother's day, Xmas Eve and New Year's Eve.
A word from La Bergerie
Located in the heart of Old Town Alexandria, Virginia, La Bergerie offers a cozy and relaxed setting in a historic brick warehouse. Whether it's an intimate lunch or dinner, a special occasion or business affair, La Bergerie's gracious and attentive staff will make your experience memorable.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
La Bergerie - Best Restaurants in Alexandria ›
La Bergerie reviews from OpenTable diners
155 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (114)romantic (98)fit for foodies (82)notable wine list (67)neighborhood gem (59)great for lunch (14)good for groups (10)late-night find (5)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Food was very good but the service was poor.PoliticallyIncorrectDined on 11/14/2014Our server was 8 months pregnant and should have been home resting. There were a number of mistakes with our orders and the staff was not attentive to filling water glasses and general table service We just came back from Charleston, SC and had top tier meals with great service at a 30% discount compared to Le Bergerie. We have dined at LB before and the service was better. The food was well prepared and very palatable. They did not have a Sommelier, which is expected for an establishment of this caliber and price range.Special Features:
- Our favorite French restaurant in the DC areaFood4YouDined on 11/14/2014Not stuffy of uptight. Just a nice place to grab a great meal. Don't miss the soufflés!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MabeVIPDined on 11/11/2014Food was poorly cooked and cold. Appetizers ordered were not served. Place was empty and service was slow. We waited more than 10 minutes for a hostess to show up and take us to our tables. No hostess ever showed up. Waiters who were at the kitchen finally showed up. Two couples left after waiting and nobody showing up at front desk. With us there were three occupied tables at the restaurant. I predict they will be closing soon. Not the Bergerie of old.
- Delicious French, hint of AmericanPrincetonVIPDined on 11/7/2014Delicious, mostly, French food. Some hints on the menu of Americanization. The (cold) froid gras is good, not outstanding. The steak is very delicate. Not cheap, but definitely not outrageously expensive. Good price/ quality. Very good atmosphere. I went with a friend, but definetley suitable for (early) dates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good meal but...ClearCreekVIPDined on 11/6/2014Service was rather spotty. Waiter was forgetful, didn't check back and was rather diffident. Owner (or chef?) stopped by, but it felt more like an obligatory visit than a genuine greeting. Food was good, but portions were small - more tapas-sized than what one might expect at an upscale French restaurant. May go back, but not as a first choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 11/2/2014A bit of a disappointment in what has been a consistently exceptional experience in frequent visits. The grouper was fill with bones and the poached shrimp did not have enough sauce to complement the otherwise excellent shrimp. The squash soup and the duck were delicious. The service was outstanding, although I ordered the beet salad and got the soup delivered. Nevertheless, it was a tasty mistake.
- Great experience!PairOfFoodiesDined on 11/1/2014Great service, wonderful food. We both had the four course tasting menu and chose our own wine given the opportunity to select from the extensive wine list...we will be back!Special Features:
- Consistently Great FoodAlwayshungryDined on 11/1/2014It was over 30 years ago that I first ate at La Bergerie. The food was outstanding then and it remains so. I dined there again last week. I particularly like the quietness of the restaurant with the large amount of space between tables that facilitates conversations that remain private. The service was outstanding. My two favorite dishes from my latest dining experience there was the duck appetizer and the Hazelnut souffle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- happyVIPDined on 11/1/2014We go to this restaurant for all of our special events. I also like to have romantic evenings with my wife at La Bergerie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/31/2014Every time we visit family in the DC area, we make a point of going to La Bergerie - it is always a pleasurable experience from every standpoint.Special Features:
- true excellencemsjudyVIPDined on 10/26/2014This place, for traditional, classic French food with a slightly modern twist, is a treat for the eyes and the palate. The wine knowledge of the wait staff is unusually good, and we learned a couple of things about pairing cheese plates and wine. The swordfish was excellent and it is a dish we hesitate to order in most restaurants. We were very, very pleased with our evening here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French GemJWRadCliffeDined on 10/25/2014La Bergerie continues to be an exquisite establishment offering exceptional service, delightful cuisine and an impressive wine selection with unique treasures. It's perfect for any romantic evening, family celebration or reminiscing with close friends. If you are a fan of French fare, it is a must.Special Features:
- Elegant Serviceluv2dineVIPDined on 10/23/2014If you want a nice leisurely and upscale dining experience, this is the place to go. The pacing is slow but everything is obviously made with care. The servers are friendly and non-intrusive. Their souffles are amazing. My favorite is the hazelnut but the grand marnier is a winner too. We did the tasting menu which was nice and flavorful but the portions were a little on the small side. Had a salad with duck prosciutto on top of it and it was delicious. What is interesting is that their tasting menus (they have more than one) have different items on it than their "regular" menu. I live in the neighborhood and need to become a regular. It's been a fantastic experience each time. The owner (or manager?) walks around and enjoys speaking with the guests. He picked a great wine which we thoroughly enjoyed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant lunchJuneRoseDined on 10/23/2014My elderly friend needed an outing. She loves Old Town so I made us a lunch reservation at LA Bergerie. We practically had the place to ourselves and appreciated the elegant and quiet atmosphere. We enjoyed the Lobster Flambe with vegetable risotto and lots of French bread. We lingered over our glasses of wine and then shared a delicious bread pudding dessert that came with a scoop of ice cream. Service was attentive without being intrusive. We were allowed to dine and talk for about 2 hours with no rush. We had to ask for the check as they didn't bring it to hint that we should leave.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/19/2014Good food, good service, great place. We'll definitely returnSpecial Features:
- Amazing French Foodsjc4vDined on 10/18/2014The people, the waiters, the food, the presentation, the environment where all fantastic! I highly recommend it!Special Features:
- Great Food Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014It was a special birthday 10-12-2014 for my wife and is her favorite restaurant when we lived in the DC area. The dining experience remains top quality and the service outstanding. We always recommend La Bergerie to friends when they go to DC. RogFbgTXSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/10/2014We have been going to La Bergerie off and on for 10 yrs. We started out going to it for just special occasions, now - merely when we miss the Dover Sole. The food is absolutely excellent. This last time was the very first time that they made a mistake in our 10 yrs of visits-forgot to put in our soufflé order. However, the way that they dealt with that mistake was impressive. Both the server & the owner apologized-we were given sorbet and port on the house. Yet, after 10 yrs, I was relieved to actually see a mistake, because my husband and I used to joke that they must have microphones in the flowers. We used to joke that way because each and every server was always on time in anticipating our needs. The food and service is beyond reproach!Special Features:
- SoldierOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014The food is phenomenal, but the service is a little slow.Special Features:
- Lovely eveningNoettoDined on 9/26/2014This is a wonderful spot for a quiet and elegant evening and a very French cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerVirginiaVisitorVIPDined on 9/22/2014Every time we go to La Bergerie, I remind myself that it should not be only for special occasions. Every visit offers the same great food, the same good service, and a restaurant atmosphere that encourages conversation, rather than drowning it out.Special Features:
- happyVIPDined on 9/22/2014Always excellent service and great food. We go to this restaurant for celebrations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 9/21/2014An exceptional meal with excellent service. The menu is so diverse - we opted for the 4-course but were given the option of any combination on the very extensive menu. The elk was favorable, the lamb extraordinary, and the fish superb.Special Features:
- drbfVIPDined on 9/20/2014A truly wonderful restaurant with excellent food and service.......Special Features:
- Superb!KateyDined on 9/20/2014La Bergerie is very special to us. We have come for very important occasions over the years. This time we brought with us the couple who introduced us many years ago. They were delighted as we always are with the fine food and personal service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BravoBigDaddyVIPDined on 9/20/2014Food is superb. Service is swift, efficient and professional without feeling rushed or intrusive. Staff are well coordinated and have an excellent sense of the diner's pace. Glasses are never drained, plates never linger on the table, utensils replaced silently and quickly. Table side prep is well done. Food is superb, beautifully presented and tastes sensationalSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Favorite PlaceAnonymousVIPDined on 9/20/2014I absolutely love La Bergerie. It has been our special-occasion go-to place forever (we were there for our anniversary) and everything about it is always first-rate. If you have never tried the souffle for dessert you are missing one of the great treats of this lovely restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Paris in Washington-well Old TownTwinDined on 9/16/2014Celebrating the 25th anniversary of our first friends birthday in Paris, we selected the highly rated La Bergerie and were not disappointed from start to finish! Great food, ambiance, and service--less hectic area of Old Town. Plus parking space close-by! Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great EveningDeliciousDined on 9/13/2014Great service and great food as always. The lobster was delicious.Special Features:
- Excellent FoodWandererDined on 9/12/2014This restaurant had the most amazing food! We loved our dinner here. Atmosphere was very nice, great place for a nice quiet dinner for two or a small group. The prices were in line with other nice French restaurants, but above all else the food was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner and conversationCountryGentlemanDined on 8/31/2014Wonderful food, good wine, excellent service and most importantly an atomosphere where you can carry on a conversation with friendsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb French FoodLarryVIPDined on 8/30/2014Another wonderful dinner, great escargot, main course fish and soufflé!Special Features:
- 33rd Wedding AnniversaryFoodGuyDined on 8/28/2014We have gone to La Bergerie on our anniversary for the last 6 or 7 years, and wach time has been a wonderful experience. The staff always makes us feel special ansgo out of their way to provide excellent service cleaning the tanle between courses to refilling our wine glasses. You don't have to ask. All needs are anticipated and covered. Carlos is absolutely the best, and Caroline is following in his footsteps! The food is always mouth-watering delicious. Great service, delicious food, and a romantic atmosphere completea the package.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining outPhioDined on 8/26/2014It was a wonderful first time experience dining at La Bergerie restaurant. Also it was a special occasion and my guest felt very special. I would highly recommend this restaurant to family and friends. It was a personal touch which provided a long lasting impression.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great find!OutstandingVIPDined on 8/24/2014I love authentic French cuisine, which many attempt, but do not do well. This was a truly great find, creative, traditional and in a great spot close to King St (easy access). The food was fantastic, fresh and simply enjoyable as I have been disappointed with others claiming to be French, but this one truly was. In addition, the service was well done, professional, courteous and from filling water to making helpful suggestions....they were on it. We will definitely return....Special Features:
- Great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014Your restaurant continues to supply excellent food at reasonable prices, The service is very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old schoolOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/23/2014Old school decor and classic French dishes. Delicious and classic.Special Features:
- Good, but I expected moreOTRFDined on 8/23/2014I dined at La Bergerie during Restaurant week. The menu selections were adequate, though not overly exciting. And, while tasty, the food preparation was only adequate-to-good. The waiter made a big deal out of ensuring that the temperature of my Steak Au Poivre would be medium rare. It was barely medium. My soufflé could have been quite pleasant; but it, too, was overcooked. Also service was rushed, making dining less than relaxing. Topping it off was the $5.00 charge for a bottle of sparkling water that is made in house (with no offer of a refill) and the $7.00 charge for a double espresso. The entirety of my experience makes it highly unlikely that I will return.
- Restaurant Week dinner...OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2014Food was delicious, service-excellent. Lovely evening 😊Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic Eveningjag4rkbgDined on 8/23/2014Been here before and choose La Bergerie for our 38th Anneversary! It was truly the start of a romantic evening.Special Features: