La Belle Vie
510 Groveland Avenue
Minneapolis, MN 55403Neighborhood:
Downtown / North Loop
FrenchPrice: $50 and over
La Belle Vie
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.labellevie.us/
- Phone: 6128746440
- Hours of Operation:
Dining Room: Sunday-Thursday 5-9, Friday & Saturday 5-10 Lounge: Sunday 5-9, Monday-Thursday 5-10, Friday & Saturday 5-11
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, French
- Executive Chef: Tim McKee
- Dress Code: Jacket Preferred
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from La Belle Vie
La Belle Vie, one of the most lauded restaurants of the Twin Cities, is a chef-driven restaurant located in the historic 510 Groveland Building, sharing the neighborhood with the newly expanded Walker Arts Center. Tim McKee, executive chef, is nationally recognized for his fresh interpretation of traditional French Mediterranean cuisine. La Belle Vie's cuisine reflects the belief that "Good food is always personal". At La Belle Vie, food is close to their hearts, and you are invited to share that dining experience with them. Award of Excellence, both Zagat and Wine Spectator Magazine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
La Belle Vie - Best Restaurants in Downtown / North Loop ›
La Belle Vie reviews from OpenTable diners
107 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (93)romantic (78)fit for foodies (76)notable wine list (58)vibrant bar scene (12)neighborhood gem (9)good for groups (6)late-night find (4)hot spot (2)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (2)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Very expensive but worth itDGH1Dined on 9/13/2014We had grand tasting menu. Super. Service was super.Special Features:
- Twin Cites SpecialSteveDined on 9/12/2014I flew in from out of town for a blind date and chose La Belle Vie based on online reviews, I was not disappointed, the ambiance was great, the service was top notch and the food was very good. Chris, the Som, recommended a wine from Lebenon that was very good, I would highly recommend asking for his opinion on a wine selection if you elect to forgo the pairing. I thought the pricing was very resonable relative to similar dining experiences in other cites. And as a bonus my date was fabulous!!Special Features:
- I don't quite get it.....chelsa128Dined on 9/12/2014$350 and we left hungry. Everything was very good, but there just wasn't enough of it. The courses were so spread out and so small - 2 bites, wait, wait, wait, repeat - that we never felt satisfied. I don't care how 'fancy' the restaurant is, for that kind of money you should leave full. On top of that the ambiance was strange. So quiet, lots of blank walls, not cozy or warm. I think the lounge is the way to go - the atmosphere seemed better and the prices more reasonable. Good food, but not worth the hype.Special Features:
- notagainDined on 9/11/2014Had Chef's tasting menu which was way too intricate. I expected 9-10 courses with small portions. Instead I got 9-10 courses, most with 4-5 accompaniments. Of course we are talking miniscule portions so that you rarely got a second or third bite of anything to confirm your initial impression. It was as if each course was suppose to be a meal in itself (due to complexity, not quantity). I've enjoyed tasting menus at other, mostly Chicago, restaurants, but this I can't recommend. My wife ordered an entrée and one appetizer and was much more pleased.Special Features:
- close...MyBarIsHighDined on 9/10/2014La Belle Vie is on the ground floor of a residential hotel; the dining room recalls that era with spacious tables, good lighting and tastefully chosen art work. The ambiance was perfect for my partner's birthday. We ordered the 5 course tasting menu; all of the dishes were very good. The wine pairings were also good, with one exception. The olive note in the salmon dish was an excellent contrast to the very nice piece of fish. In contrast to that dish, the flavor profile of the beef dish was dragged down a bit by the not-quite-there meat. The Meyer-Näkel rose was the highlight of the wine flight; the Beaujolais that followed was disappointing. On another visit we will order the 8 course Chef's Tasting Menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in Twin citiesFoodieDined on 9/6/2014I have dined here several times and this place never disappoints. It is very spendy but in my opinion, worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- C'est MagnifiqueKatNDined on 9/6/2014Trying not to build up expectations, I attempted to do some calming deep breathing exercises before spending my birthday experience at La Belle Vie. I didn't need to do any of that nonesense. The evening was truly perfection. It met my expectations and went far beyond them. Can't rank a favorite part of the meal as the ambience in the lounge, impeccable service, ethereal tasting menu paired with tantalizing wines and overall experience were equally wonderful. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Birthday DisappointmentUnhappyCamperDined on 9/6/2014I like this restaurant but there was something about it that didn't make me like it. I reserved a table for me and my fiancé for his birthday. I noted the special message for them if they could provide me a cake and have at least 2 or 3 people employees to sing for him but that never happened. They specifically called me to confirm this plan and they told me they will make it happen by providing a 4 inch cake; But when I got there, nothing happened. I was very disappointed. Please don't promise people with plans if you are not going to follow up with it. I'd say their food was good but I can totally cook something close to the tasting menu. It's not worth the eat here unless you want to spend a lot of money.Special Features:
- Excellent dining experienceeChuckVIPDined on 9/6/20148-course tasting menu ($90), without wine pairing ($64). Started with single amuse bouche follwed by 8 courses (including dessert). Delicious and well-presented. The service was excellent. Good wine menu. The overall style is relatively conservative when compared to more contemporary offerings (Alma, Heartland, Travail) but beautiful prepared, well-execute and great-tasting. The one knock I have of this restaurant is the building and decor. The building is a bit dated and the hallways musty. The dining room is clean but boring. Would definitely eat here again, great for special occasions or just for a nice night out.Special Features:
- Simply elegant.MJKoepkeDined on 9/5/2014First class dining experience. Did the Chef's Special Tasting in the dining room with the wine flight pairing and the whole experience was extremely enjoyable. In particular, the wine pairings with the courses were fantastic as were all the courses. The primary downside to the tasting approach, was there were several things I would've loved to eat in larger quantity. If we go again, I would be very likely to order Ala Carte and a bottle of wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Once in awhile....beentheredonethatDined on 9/5/2014Once in awhile it's OK to ignore the budget and sample the "upper scale." The server was impeccable and is probably the president of a bank on the side. The cocktail was a generous pour, the glass of wine less so. The food was excellent but portions on the sparse side. The Ala Carte menu needs to have at least a half dozen more selections. Lamb shank anyone? With the final tab averaging well over $100 a head, perhaps it's "been there and done that."Special Features:
- Amazing!ruebelgDined on 9/3/2014What a great restaurant! My husband and I went here for our anniversary. I loved every minute of this fabulous place. I had the feeling we were in a modern day speakeasy and it was divine. The waitress was excellent and very helpful! I am not a cocktail person but, I tried one on the menu and it was very well done. Beautiful in fact! We will be back in a month or so! Thanks!Special Features:
- Best of the Twin CitiesDoctorVVIPDined on 9/3/2014As always La Belle Vie delivers with the best food and outstanding service. The 5 course tasting menu with wine pairing gave us delicious matches with perfect sized portions. As is often the case items that do not sound good are actually wonderful, such as the chicken liver and brie terrine that was a small bite sized treat served with the poussin. Only complaint is they do not have a dress code. When one dresses up appropriately for a special occasion dinner, it is disappointing to sit by someone in a t-shirt and jeans or worse. I am not even asking for "jacket required", just collared shirt and long pants, but no jeans.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool beansOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014It was overall an excellent place. Great food and our server was great. I would recomend it to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pull out all the stops!BoconnorDined on 8/30/2014Absolute heaven for serious foodies. The place to go for that very special meal with the people with which you really want to spend quality time. 2 notes: 1) the staff easily dealt with the fact that I need a gluten-free diet. 2) I rated the noise level as high, but there was a large family directly across from us and I think it would have otherwise been very subdued. Tables are not crowded together and if there was background music, I didn't notice it.Special Features:
- Still tops in the Twin CitiesSpeedy84Dined on 8/29/2014I hadn't been to LBV for several years, and I was reminded that I need to visit more often. Chef McKee and his team turn out imaginative, scrumptious delights that are a perfect mix of interesting and appetizing. Wow!! Highlights for me from the Chef's tasting menu included an heirloom tomato salad that reminded me of summer in Italy and perfect salmon in a black olive, apple and fennel setting. We also had the cheese plate, which I recommend. LBV accommodated my wife's gluten free diet with sesame crackers. The wine list is long on Italian, Austrian and Spanish wines. We had the wine pairings, which we enjoyed, but the food is the highlight. Service was professional and appropriate. All in all a great experience.Special Features:
- the good and the baddisappointingDined on 8/23/2014For The Amount Of Money I Intended To Spend For our Anniversary With My Husband I Expected Great Services. I Almost Left Before We Ordered Since #1 I Didn't Know Who Our Server Was And #2 She Didn't Come Around For A While. The Food Was Pretty Good But We Pay Also For Experience And The ServIce Was Poor. It Was disappointing
- LovejoyeatsoutDined on 8/22/2014A gem find for delicate, modern, French cuisine, that if anywhere else would price much higher. I love dining in the bar area. It has old school charm. Make a reservation on the weekends. Get the larger tasting menu! …you won’t regret it! Eat and be merry!Special Features:
- Never stopped amazingGrantDined on 8/21/2014We had the Chef's Tasting choice tailored to fish/seafood rather than beef/pork. Each course was amazing. The manager and waiter kept asking which was our favorite, but it was almost impossible to choose they were all so good. The wine pairings in the Wine Flight that accompanied the courses were perfect.Special Features:
- Always a wonderful experience!cazzimaDined on 8/17/2014We just love La Belle Vie! The staff is always warm and welcoming. The cocktails are excellent, and appetizers are amazing. We've been there many times and have SO enjoyed their tasting menu with wine pairings. We have NEVER been disappointed!! We were even able to get a reservation for New Years this early (we went in August)! I can't wait to go back. :)Special Features:
- 10th Anniversary DinnerSlavonDined on 8/16/2014We both had the Chef's tasting menu and accompanying wine. Every course was great with its own nuanced flavors. My wife's favorite was the Lobster course, mine the beef (I'm a Texan)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine dining...love the tasting menuDoctaJDined on 8/15/2014I took my wife to La Belle Vie for her birthday and the service was excellent. The food was also fantastic; we had the eight course chef's tasting menu and if you're willing to spend a couple extra bones, I definitely recommend the wine pairing with whatever tasting menu you choose.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- La belle vieOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/14/2014Always the best. It is the best restaurant in the twin cities.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All-around winnerCoupleFromWoodburyDined on 8/14/2014Went with the tasting menu, including the wine flight. Glad I did, as both the progression of entrees and the wine pairings were excellent. One expects La Belle Vie to be excellent - and it was!Special Features:
- Memorable EveninglovegreatdiningDined on 8/6/2014We had been anticipating this event for three months as we celebrated our 50th anniversary - a gift to us. When we arrived it was like they were expecting us and were ready for us. Each piece was picture-perfect, served with the greatest of care. Our waitperson made sure we knew about each course and the wine. Extra touches enhanced our experience. We were well-celebrated! Taste was very important - each flavor was complimented by what was served with it. A total flavorful experience. Coffee and petit fours, as we finished, was just the right touch and made the meal complete. Valet parking was essential.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent evening!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/5/2014Truly worth the price. The tasting menus paired with the wine flights makes not only for a fantastic dinner but also for an opportunity to taste pairings you most likely would not have tried on your own. Service was fantastic, all in all the most enjoyable meal out I have had in Minneapolis.Special Features:
- An experience to be had!JcernyDined on 8/2/2014You will get the chance to be treated like royalty for the evening. The food is breathtaking but it doesn't stop there. The staff takes service to a whole new level. The food preperation is beautiful. Every detail is attended to. I've had dinner here on several occasions and it's been nothing less than perfect. Every dish, every interaction, absolute perfection! This is the fine art of dinning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply ElegantWBLgirlDined on 8/2/2014We rarely get a chance to go out, and this is one occasion I am so very glad we did. We both went with the 5 course tasting menu, and every item was just delicious. I really wanted to go all out and get the 12 course, but maybe next time. Food was properly seasoned, wine pairings were fabulous, and service was discreet and very friendly. I would seriously eat whatever the kitchen decided to send out, even things I don't normally order, like a pate or foie gras...I'd still eat it, because this is one kitchen staff that gets how to prepare and season great food. I can't wait to go again, it just may take a while to earn enough to pay the bill....spendy, but so worth every penny.Special Features:
- AMAZING!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/1/2014My husband and I did the short course (I think 5 options) with the paired wine flight. The food was incredible, the wine was outstanding and the location was fantastic! I would highly recommend it, especially for a romantic date night or special occassion. It is expensive (our meal was over $300), but worth every penny.Special Features:
- Best Meal in MinnesotaScienthomasVIPDined on 7/31/2014Everything about our experience was top notch. My dining partner and I both had the Chef's tasting menu, one traditional and one vegan. Chef didn't miss a beat, providing two exceptional meals. Every course was exceptionally prepared and presented, and there were several delightful combinations of flavors and textures. The meal left us full, yet wanting more. The cocktails were very well crafted, and the wine was well matched to the food. The staff was very knowledgable, able to answer questions, including preparation details, without having to consult the kitchen. The pace was perfect, never hurried or delayed. A perfect meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WowStPaulMomDined on 7/27/2014We went to La Belle Vie about 7 years ago, and while the food was amazing, we received mediocre service from our server-- she really made us feel that we didn't deserve to be there. But we decided to try it again for our 16th wedding anniversary. And I'm glad we did. Very simply, we received the best service I have ever had at a restaurant. Our server was incredibly kind, helpful, knowledgeable, and unobtrusive. The food was paced perfectly (we did the eight-course tasting menu.) And everything we ate was perfect: tasty, inventive, and exciting. It was a perfect way to celebrate our anniversary because everything about the meal made us feel special.Special Features:
- Best first dateNomorefastfoodDined on 7/24/2014This place was possibly the best intimate dining experience I have had. The tasting menu is the way to go, pairing the dishes with different wines and trying so many new things. My now girlfriend and I couldn't have picked a better place for a first date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable eveningJi61482Dined on 7/24/2014We wanted to create a memorable dinner for a friend from out of town and a few local friends who lived outside the city though I have never been here, I knew La Belle Vie was the only appropriate place to celebrate our evening. Five of us met and had the Chef's Tasting menu and form the fun cocktail names, to the impeccable service, to the meal itself, we had a lovely evening. I highly recommend La Belle Vie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative and Tasty but too richOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/24/2014We have always enjoyed going to La Belle Vie as a special treat. The bar is beautiful and a nice place to enjoy a cocktail and appetizers as a couple or with friends. Valet parking is a plus. The restaurant (ambiance) is lovely and we appreciate the beauty of the old building that has been maintained. Service is predictably fabulous. We enjoy the creativity of the food at La Belle Vie however it is so rich that we often don't feel well afterwards. It would be welcome if there were a couple of dishes or sides that were less fatty. We love the venue, service, etc. but aren't certain that are systems can handle the rich food. Too bad because we will miss it.Special Features:
- ServerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/23/2014Jesse (sp?), our server, was excellent. She was very gracious as well as knowledgeable re the menu. A server can do a lot to make or break an evening out and Jesse definitely helped to make our dinner quite pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best chef tasting in tcrandomdatenightDined on 7/19/2014We have never been disappointed with the chefs menu and wine pairing. Make sure you have a dd as it is a lot if wine. Love the bar scene too!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentCranenDined on 7/15/2014We found the restaurant via a friends recommendation. Excellent food and service. As we live in Canada we can not frequent as often as I would like, after having had a great dining experiencve. However, my wife and I have already talked of returning. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingrocknrollerVIPDined on 7/14/2014As always we had a spectacular meal. The current tasting menu is wonderful. Great service as always!Special Features:
- Perfect Anniversary CelebrationBarryDined on 7/12/2014We dined at La Belle Vie for our 40th Wedding Anniversary last Saturday. My spouse has a number of food sensitivities/allergies to some widely used herbs and spices. Our server and chef(s) did an outstanding job 'customizing' my spouse's tasting menu selections. My Chef's Tasting Menu (with wine flights) was superb. Looking forward to our 41st Anniversary...at La Belle Vie :-).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerrysDined on 7/12/2014We had a wonderful 40th anniversary dinner. Our server, Jack, was very attentive and made the evening very special for us. La Velle Vie was our number 1 choice for this special occasion and we were not disappointed.Special Features: