La Belle Vie
510 Groveland Avenue
Minneapolis, MN 55403Neighborhood:
Downtown / North Loop
FrenchPrice: $50 and over
La Belle Vie
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.labellevie.us/
- Phone: (612) 874-6440
- Hours of Operation:
Dining Room: Sunday-Thursday 5-9, Friday & Saturday 5-10 Lounge: Sunday 5-9, Monday-Thursday 5-10, Friday & Saturday 5-11
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, French
- Executive Chef: Tim McKee
- Dress Code: Jacket Preferred
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from La Belle Vie
La Belle Vie, one of the most lauded restaurants of the Twin Cities, is a chef-driven restaurant located in the historic 510 Groveland Building, sharing the neighborhood with the newly expanded Walker Arts Center. Tim McKee, executive chef, is nationally recognized for his fresh interpretation of traditional French Mediterranean cuisine. La Belle Vie's cuisine reflects the belief that "Good food is always personal". At La Belle Vie, food is close to their hearts, and you are invited to share that dining experience with them. Award of Excellence, both Zagat and Wine Spectator Magazine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
La Belle Vie - Best Restaurants in Downtown / North Loop ›
La Belle Vie reviews from OpenTable diners
98 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (84)fit for foodies (77)romantic (70)notable wine list (48)neighborhood gem (11)good for groups (9)vibrant bar scene (9)hot spot (4)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Incredibly expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/24/2014Incredibly expensive for a romantic night out. Had small tasting menu and spent over $300 and still left hungry. Food was very good but the portions were so small it was almost laughable. If you are looking for a special occasion and want to impress someone that price is no object, this place is it. However, if you are looking to spend hundreds of dollars for a satisfying meal to come back for again and again, maybe this is not it.Special Features:
- Better than ever!Patrick1Dined on 11/21/2014When I lived in Minnesota, 510 Groveland was the fancy French Restsurant one would go for special occasions. It was fancy, even a bit stuffy on occasion. Thankfully, La Belle Vie has quite successfully for the past nine years continued the legacy of this space. The bar is vibrant, clubby and comfortable. The staff is attentive, friendly without a hint of arrogance. The food is amazing and whether you do a gastronomic treat in one of their three tasting menus, or order ala carte (as we did), the meal is artfully and sensitively presented. A must go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014We went to La Bella Vie for our anniversary. The service was impeccable, always attentive in the slightest need. The food was good, but disappointing. The ambiance could be called sterile on its best day. The evening felt it was very much about the food instead of the people.Special Features:
- Long-awaited experiencepauljportDined on 11/20/2014For nearly 3 years we've heard the ravinging reviews and ratings of La Belle Vie's restaurant and bar. After much anticipation, we were not disappointed. We decided on the 9 piece tasting menu with wine pairing-- everything was done to perfection with amazing flavors and incredible wine pairing. If we had not been mentally prepaired for the petite tasting portions and astounding check at the end of the meal, it could have been a surprising night! Definitely a special occasion event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ooh-La-La!potseyDined on 11/10/2014La Belle Vie is a wonderful French restaurant with great food, excellent service, a great wine list/pairings, and quiet, romantic atmosphere of a building built in the 1920's. Hands down one of the best meals I have had at a restaurant with wonderful ambiance! We were there to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary and the wait staff knew this in advance. They had special additions to our deserts that stated "Happy Anniversary" and our daughter and her boyfriend bought us a bottle of champagne to start the dinner off right and the waiters congratulated us as they poured the bubbly immediately after we were seated. How nice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was wonderful, but smalllikenFrenchDined on 11/1/2014The food was wonderful, but the portion sizes were too small for the tasting menu. We were hungry hours later.Special Features:
- Unmatched high end diningkes7u2004Dined on 11/1/2014My wife and I recently returned from a vacation including London and France. This included eating at one of the best restaurants in Paris, at Le Meurice hotel. La Belle Vie can hold its head high in direct comparison. My wife and I both at the Grand tasting menu, which included 13 courses. Amazing creativity. A wide variety of foods and ingredients. I've always been kind of a picky eater. Here, it didn't matter the dish, the flavors were simply unbelievable. I liked everything, and loved most! The pacing of the courses was just right. Everyone was very helpful and friendly.Special Features:
- eight coursepescaDined on 10/29/2014I had the eight course tasting menu. It turned out to be 11 courses with the extras that are served. Excellent presentation, wonderful combination of tastes that were beyond the ordinary in high end restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Romantic RestaurantTDForeverDined on 10/25/2014What a great place to have a quiet dinner, with great service and be able to taste well presented food matched by the perfect wines. The staff was great and explained all the courses and wines in detail. Very personal service that you don't find in other restaurants.Special Features:
- Rocky Start, but Overall GreaterinVIPDined on 10/24/2014Unfortunately the night got off to a rocky start. When my date and I arrived, the hostess said we'd need to be done by 8 (we had a 5:30 reservation) so they could seat other tables. This was incredibly off-putting, especially considering I'd made the dinner reservation a month in advance. We had plans for an 8:00 show so that wasn't a problem, but what if we'd wanted to do the full tasting menu? After we were seated, though, the service was exceptional and the food was outstanding. Easily one of the best meals I've had in my life. The wine pairings were perfect. Overall, I had a great experience- I just wish it hadn't started on such a sour note.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always exquisiteChrisFDined on 10/22/2014The degustation with matching wine is exemplary. Jennifer and Brett were particularly attentive.Special Features:
- ExquisiteAdelaideSADined on 10/19/2014It was our first time dining at La Belle Vie. From my experience and perspective, as a french woman travelling a lot, the ratio price/quality is definitely appropriate. I am happy to pay the price when the food and service are accordingly good, and this is the case at La Belle Vie. We had a great night, the food was high quality and sophisticated. Wine list is exquisite. Fruits sorbets are exquisite. Service was extremely good, our waitress Kim was excellent and we will make sure we are seated with her next time we dine at La Belle Vie. We are not from Minneapolis, but we will definitely dine there again when we are back in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingDrStewartDined on 10/18/2014My wife and I had an amazing night out for our anniversary. From the moment we walked in the door, the staff set the stage for a romantic night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- memorable occasiondining4luvDined on 10/12/2014I took my daughter and grandson for dinner at La Belle Vie. This was the first time any of us had ever had a twelve course dinner in the French cuisine. The food was exquisite in presentation, the flavors and combinations of ingredients were absolutely incredible. The first course of egg with lobster and caviar together with a corn chowder presentation was sublime. That was our introduction to what was a truly memorable dinner. Every course was a gift to the palette. The wine pairings were perfect. Service was also outstanding. Ours was a unsurpassed food and dining experience which was truly a memorable occasion we will never forget.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but rushedWineloveDined on 10/11/2014My husband and I came for our five year wedding anniversary. We expected it to be a really long drawn out dinner. We ordered the Chefs tasting menu with wine paring. The time between food was great, but we had a hard time finishing our wine before the next course came. We agreed that getting the wine paring was really great, but we probably left a good chunk of money, in wine, on our table after we were done eating because we could not finish it. It would have been nice to have 10+ minutes more, between meals for us to actually get to finish the wine. Wine is not supposed to be chugged. That aspect was disappointing. The food was great, and so was the atmosphere. Overall, we had a good time, but wish we felt like it was worth the money.Special Features:
- Wow!!!!erdinerDined on 10/10/2014What a great dining experience! We opted for the 12 course tasting menu. That was amazing! The ambiance was great, quiet, dim light, excellent service. Excellent way to celebrate our 10 year anniversary!Special Features:
- MemorableDRoomTVhaterDined on 10/5/2014There were four of us for dinner and we ordered a variety of entrees. it was expensive but worth every penny. The food was exquisite - complex - interesting, creative and delicious - without exception. The wines were paired perfectly and some were so memorable that we all vowed to search out bottles for our own cellars. The Lebanese cabernet was amazing. We will go again, but only for very special occasions.Special Features:
- Great Date PlaceNellyP76Dined on 9/30/2014We had a really good date night after a long time (have a six month old). Food was exceptional, although they could have paid a little more attention on my wife's preferences. I would have liked to have had a quieter spot so maybe they can segregate some areas for quiet preference. Overall though, great food, presentation, service, and an opportunity to splurge! Expensive so be prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still GoodFoodieGurlVIPDined on 9/22/2014We always go to La Belle Vie for my birthday. This year was no different, however, this past summer we went to Cinq V in France, which influenced my perception. La Belle Vie just wasn't as good as I remember in past years. That does not mean it was bad, however. Service, as always, was exceptional. Food preparation was masterful. My only two complaints are the aged beef on the Chef's Tasting Menu, was burned on one side and raw on the other. Also, the portion sizes seemed smaller than previous visits and a bit stingy, which overbalanced the price to value ratio. It was a very expensive meal, and we left not quite satisfied. Nevertheless, while La Belle Vie is no Cinq V, it still stands out as exceptional among Twin Cities restaurants.Special Features:
- compete's for best in the MidwestOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/19/2014We did the nine course tasting menu with wine flight at 8 PM reservations. Every course was more amazing than the last. I'm not much of a red wine drinker so the server graciously agreed to allow substitutions for ones that were too dry or acidic for me. I thought ambience could be improved with a little more greenery to make the large open spaces more cozy but this is a minor issue. Food was definitely on par with elite Restaurants like Spago's in LA (we actually liked it better). Worth the money for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JessieVIPDined on 9/19/2014The serice was amazing and the chef's menu was absolutely delicious. Every courase I was delighted with an new taste experience and the wine pairings were spot on.Special Features:
- Very expensive but worth itDGH1Dined on 9/13/2014We had grand tasting menu. Super. Service was super.Special Features:
- Twin Cites SpecialSteveDined on 9/12/2014I flew in from out of town for a blind date and chose La Belle Vie based on online reviews, I was not disappointed, the ambiance was great, the service was top notch and the food was very good. Chris, the Som, recommended a wine from Lebenon that was very good, I would highly recommend asking for his opinion on a wine selection if you elect to forgo the pairing. I thought the pricing was very resonable relative to similar dining experiences in other cites. And as a bonus my date was fabulous!!Special Features:
- I don't quite get it.....chelsa128Dined on 9/12/2014$350 and we left hungry. Everything was very good, but there just wasn't enough of it. The courses were so spread out and so small - 2 bites, wait, wait, wait, repeat - that we never felt satisfied. I don't care how 'fancy' the restaurant is, for that kind of money you should leave full. On top of that the ambiance was strange. So quiet, lots of blank walls, not cozy or warm. I think the lounge is the way to go - the atmosphere seemed better and the prices more reasonable. Good food, but not worth the hype.Special Features:
- notagainDined on 9/11/2014Had Chef's tasting menu which was way too intricate. I expected 9-10 courses with small portions. Instead I got 9-10 courses, most with 4-5 accompaniments. Of course we are talking miniscule portions so that you rarely got a second or third bite of anything to confirm your initial impression. It was as if each course was suppose to be a meal in itself (due to complexity, not quantity). I've enjoyed tasting menus at other, mostly Chicago, restaurants, but this I can't recommend. My wife ordered an entrée and one appetizer and was much more pleased.Special Features:
- close...MyBarIsHighDined on 9/10/2014La Belle Vie is on the ground floor of a residential hotel; the dining room recalls that era with spacious tables, good lighting and tastefully chosen art work. The ambiance was perfect for my partner's birthday. We ordered the 5 course tasting menu; all of the dishes were very good. The wine pairings were also good, with one exception. The olive note in the salmon dish was an excellent contrast to the very nice piece of fish. In contrast to that dish, the flavor profile of the beef dish was dragged down a bit by the not-quite-there meat. The Meyer-Näkel rose was the highlight of the wine flight; the Beaujolais that followed was disappointing. On another visit we will order the 8 course Chef's Tasting Menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in Twin citiesFoodieDined on 9/6/2014I have dined here several times and this place never disappoints. It is very spendy but in my opinion, worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- C'est MagnifiqueKatNDined on 9/6/2014Trying not to build up expectations, I attempted to do some calming deep breathing exercises before spending my birthday experience at La Belle Vie. I didn't need to do any of that nonesense. The evening was truly perfection. It met my expectations and went far beyond them. Can't rank a favorite part of the meal as the ambience in the lounge, impeccable service, ethereal tasting menu paired with tantalizing wines and overall experience were equally wonderful. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Birthday DisappointmentUnhappyCamperDined on 9/6/2014I like this restaurant but there was something about it that didn't make me like it. I reserved a table for me and my fiancé for his birthday. I noted the special message for them if they could provide me a cake and have at least 2 or 3 people employees to sing for him but that never happened. They specifically called me to confirm this plan and they told me they will make it happen by providing a 4 inch cake; But when I got there, nothing happened. I was very disappointed. Please don't promise people with plans if you are not going to follow up with it. I'd say their food was good but I can totally cook something close to the tasting menu. It's not worth the eat here unless you want to spend a lot of money.Special Features:
- Excellent dining experienceeChuckVIPDined on 9/6/20148-course tasting menu ($90), without wine pairing ($64). Started with single amuse bouche follwed by 8 courses (including dessert). Delicious and well-presented. The service was excellent. Good wine menu. The overall style is relatively conservative when compared to more contemporary offerings (Alma, Heartland, Travail) but beautiful prepared, well-execute and great-tasting. The one knock I have of this restaurant is the building and decor. The building is a bit dated and the hallways musty. The dining room is clean but boring. Would definitely eat here again, great for special occasions or just for a nice night out.Special Features:
- Simply elegant.MJKoepkeDined on 9/5/2014First class dining experience. Did the Chef's Special Tasting in the dining room with the wine flight pairing and the whole experience was extremely enjoyable. In particular, the wine pairings with the courses were fantastic as were all the courses. The primary downside to the tasting approach, was there were several things I would've loved to eat in larger quantity. If we go again, I would be very likely to order Ala Carte and a bottle of wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Once in awhile....beentheredonethatDined on 9/5/2014Once in awhile it's OK to ignore the budget and sample the "upper scale." The server was impeccable and is probably the president of a bank on the side. The cocktail was a generous pour, the glass of wine less so. The food was excellent but portions on the sparse side. The Ala Carte menu needs to have at least a half dozen more selections. Lamb shank anyone? With the final tab averaging well over $100 a head, perhaps it's "been there and done that."Special Features:
- In hindsight: dining room. always.FoodFinderDined on 9/5/2014After being promptly seated for our reservation, we were given menus, then...nothing. For several minutes. Delay was a common theme w/ our server. We ordered the tasting menu, but never had the items described again when delivered (apparently you only get that "perk" in the dining room?) Food was delicious. Though, a lot of little things were forgotten throughout the evening that never would've been missed in the dining room (like how she didn't face my "Happy Birthday" message on my dessert toward me... my husband saw and pointed it out). We just chalked it up to making sure we dined in the dining room like normal. -Esp after an extra charge on my acct days later. She charged someone else's bill to my card. They were quick to refund.Special Features:
- Amazing!ruebelgDined on 9/3/2014What a great restaurant! My husband and I went here for our anniversary. I loved every minute of this fabulous place. I had the feeling we were in a modern day speakeasy and it was divine. The waitress was excellent and very helpful! I am not a cocktail person but, I tried one on the menu and it was very well done. Beautiful in fact! We will be back in a month or so! Thanks!Special Features:
- Perfect!FoodieDined on 9/3/2014La Belle Vie takes fine dining to the highest level. Great, educated staff, great food, great wines!Special Features:
- Best of the Twin CitiesDoctorVVIPDined on 9/3/2014As always La Belle Vie delivers with the best food and outstanding service. The 5 course tasting menu with wine pairing gave us delicious matches with perfect sized portions. As is often the case items that do not sound good are actually wonderful, such as the chicken liver and brie terrine that was a small bite sized treat served with the poussin. Only complaint is they do not have a dress code. When one dresses up appropriately for a special occasion dinner, it is disappointing to sit by someone in a t-shirt and jeans or worse. I am not even asking for "jacket required", just collared shirt and long pants, but no jeans.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool beansOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014It was overall an excellent place. Great food and our server was great. I would recomend it to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pull out all the stops!BoconnorDined on 8/30/2014Absolute heaven for serious foodies. The place to go for that very special meal with the people with which you really want to spend quality time. 2 notes: 1) the staff easily dealt with the fact that I need a gluten-free diet. 2) I rated the noise level as high, but there was a large family directly across from us and I think it would have otherwise been very subdued. Tables are not crowded together and if there was background music, I didn't notice it.Special Features:
- Still tops in the Twin CitiesSpeedy84Dined on 8/29/2014I hadn't been to LBV for several years, and I was reminded that I need to visit more often. Chef McKee and his team turn out imaginative, scrumptious delights that are a perfect mix of interesting and appetizing. Wow!! Highlights for me from the Chef's tasting menu included an heirloom tomato salad that reminded me of summer in Italy and perfect salmon in a black olive, apple and fennel setting. We also had the cheese plate, which I recommend. LBV accommodated my wife's gluten free diet with sesame crackers. The wine list is long on Italian, Austrian and Spanish wines. We had the wine pairings, which we enjoyed, but the food is the highlight. Service was professional and appropriate. All in all a great experience.Special Features:
- the good and the baddisappointingDined on 8/23/2014For The Amount Of Money I Intended To Spend For our Anniversary With My Husband I Expected Great Services. I Almost Left Before We Ordered Since #1 I Didn't Know Who Our Server Was And #2 She Didn't Come Around For A While. The Food Was Pretty Good But We Pay Also For Experience And The ServIce Was Poor. It Was disappointing