La Belle Epoque Wine Bistro
38 W State St
Media, PA 19063Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
La Belle Epoque Wine Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://labellebistro.com/
- Phone: 6105666808
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm.
Dinner: Sunday: 5:00pm - 8:00pm. Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm.
Weekend Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Wine Bar, French, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Loic Barnieu
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We offer off-site catering for your private events and parties.
- Private Party Facilities: For private parties please call 610-566-6808.
- Private Party Contact: Erin 610-566-6808
- Entertainment: We partake in all the Media Music Festivals. Check us out on Facebook to see our upcoming events.
A word from La Belle Epoque Wine Bistro
We are an authentic French Restaurant serving lunch, dinner and weekend brunch located in downtown Media, PA. For over ten years customers have been returning to Mainline Magazine's "Best French Restaurant" for excellent food, service and wine. Make sure you try Mainline Magazine's "Best Mussels" - they are a must - along with our Tuesday Night Wine Tastings and Champagne Sundays.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
La Belle Epoque Wine Bistro - Best Restaurants in Media ›
La Belle Epoque Wine Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
27 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (15)great for brunch (10)great for outdoor dining (10)special occasion (9)fit for foodies (8)great for lunch (7)notable wine list (7)romantic (5)good for groups (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Terrible ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/24/2014We had to sit inside even though I made a reservation for outside, the wine was terrible and the food was not good (outside of the mussels). I could get past all of that if the service wasn't appalling. We were blatantly ignored on a slow night and treated as though we were bothering him. The exception was the host/busboy who was attentive (and we ended up tipping in place of our server). Have been before and the ambiance is not bad if you sit outside and the food is not bad if you have brunch. Service is consistently poor. I will not be back.
- 5 Bells for La BelleeatingoutDined on 8/23/2014La Belle Epoque Wine Bistro was a great spot for a quiet lunch after we visited the Tyler Arboretum. The crepes were delicious and the service was very good. It was quiet and friendly - everything we wanted.Special Features:
- Good food unpleasant hostessjas4Dined on 8/15/2014Very good food and waiters, hostess just seemed to be bothered by us. Never once smile the whole time we were there.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChangingMediajaneDined on 8/9/2014We've been eating here since the restaurant opened. The food and wine list are always good. The prices seem to get higher each time we eat there. The new wait staff is not friendly. It's lost its "neighborhood gem" status with us. We dropped nearly $100. I had a salad. My husband had salmon. We each had a glass of wine, coffee and shared a dessert. The waiter/bartender seemed mad at the world. The hostess insisted our Open Table reservation was for 4 instead of 2. They mentioned a " dining points" offer on the bill. My husband asked her about it on our way out. She said he should have asked the waiter when we paid the bill and walked away.Special Features:
- Always greatKitkatDined on 7/11/2014Whenever we have out of town company this is the place they want to go. Food does not disappoint and the wine is always wonderful. Of course Wes could not be any nicer. We will be back.Special Features:
- Very DisappointedDanielDanceDined on 7/1/2014On a friend's recommendation, I took my date here expecting a nice romantic dinner in a French wine bistro themed restaurant. Boy was I disappointed. I generally eat out at least 2 times per week and try to hit all the local restaurant spots and this place definitely ranks as one of the worst. Service in general was lacking at best. The server reminded me of someone you would get at a local burger joint and had little knowledge of the menu or wine list. Dirty dishes not removed. Disgusting interior. No tablecloths and dirty and sticky tables. Very bad fly problem. Flies landing on our food. Had to wait forever for new drinks. Food was really good including presentation, but everything else gave it an F rating!
- Becoming a RegularMediaFoodieDined on 6/29/2014Went to Sunday brunch and enjoyed it so much that we went back the following Sunday. Cold cucumber soup, steak & eggs--so good. Had dinner there several times, and food was also wonderful. Go for the mussels & get extra bread for dipping. They sell out quickly. Hanger steak & filet perfectly cooked. A seafood special I had was delicious also. Service is friendly and they know the menu. A great special occasion and walk in place, if you can get a table. Safer to call ahead.Special Features:
- Favorite Local Brunch SpotglofVIPDined on 6/22/2014Always great inexpensive wines on the list along with consistently good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EddieDined on 6/21/2014Food was great, served hot, service excellent, wine list small very manageable. Mussels outstanding!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A go-to must in MediaDoctorJVIPDined on 6/19/2014This place never disappoints. Period. From the personal service, staff that remembers who you are (Kem, the bartender) to the consistently excellent food, why go anywhere else in Media?Special Features:
- brunch La Belle EpoqueshannonoutDined on 6/1/2014The Le Mar Crepe is so good......service great.....Special Features:
- The following 62 reviews are from the La Belle Epoque Wine Bistro reviews archive.
- FantastiqueCHSBirthdayDined on 5/11/2014This was our third meal at La Belle Epoque, but first time for a special occasion - Mothers' Day. We had a great brunch and everyone raved about the food! Will definitely dine there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014We had a nice time for Mother's day. THe brunch menu was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BuntzVIPDined on 5/6/2014Our second visit was as good as our first. Wonderful mussels to start, great lamb chops & sea bass, and tasty Nutella crepe for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comically BadTheTasterDined on 5/3/2014I cannot remember the last time I was so completely and utterly disappointed by a meal-- and the service. The cheese tray had bland cheeses ,and the pairings seemed senseless. There were even chocolate chips on the cheese tray, very odd. My caprese salad was served with tomatoes that looked reminiscence of Subway's quality. And, when our main meal was finally served, my dining partner found his dish to be inedible and bland. Our waitress didn't return for 20 minutes while we sat there with 1 fork and a god-awful meal. Meanwhile, there were SIX other servers in the empty dining room, not one of whom asked to help. Steer clear of this 'fine-eatery.'
- sunday lunchfoodiegirlDined on 4/27/2014Had reservations for lunch on a sunday. Found service good and prompt. Coffes were quick and tssty. The food however was dissapointing. Crepes were obviously over cooked, alittle drk brown all over. Others ordered omletes, they were ok. One order was with duck.. Was served in high pile of shredded duck atop omlet, while the portion was generous the taste was not great. I stumbled upon a disagreement between employee and boss about pay while visiting the ladies room. Was hard not to overhear when the discussion was right outside the restroom door. Was unfortunate and not professional. Next time I will avoid daytime and stick to nite dinners that I have found delicious and fun. Maybe evening chefs are better?Special Features:
- Uniformly first-ratemashermacDined on 4/19/2014This was our second time at this very good restaurant and it is now on our A list. The restaurant is small and a "little" tight so not a romantic hide-away, but not crowded or noisy. The decor is French kitchy with lots of Moulin Rouge posters and such. Restrooms are down a flight of steep stairs. The star is the food. Expertly prepared and presented, with very satisfying portion sizes. Share the mussels as an appetizer - you won't be sorry. Other apps were also first-class. Entrees: The bass and the chicken - fabulous- the crepes - nicely done - The boeuf bourguignon - a little bland. The wine list is good (not great) a little pedestrian/limited for a wine bistro. Overall: a very satisfying experience.Special Features:
- Decent food but slow serviceRoseVIPDined on 4/18/2014On arrival we did not get the table we requested but the alternative was fine if less scenic. Appetizers came promptly and we ordered a nice wine. However our entrees took forever. We finally asked and they said it was a computer glitch! Another friend also dining there had been given another excuse. Neither steak was special but the fish was excellent. They did give us an extra glass of wine on the house. We live nearby and have sensed that they are overwhelmed and probably understaffed. Too bad it is a nice location and setting but we won't go back soon.
- wonderfully improved serviceOpieDined on 4/5/2014Our waiter was wonderful--my last review reported a surly waitress, but this waiter was fabulous. The food, as always, was delicious--from crispy duck with yummy potatoes to a fabulous crepe with a refreshing salad and creme brulee that was mouth watering. This was a lovely evening for celebrating my friend's birthday.Special Features:
- Great Every TimeJBGrizzVIPDined on 4/5/2014I've been here multiple times: the food and service are always fantastic. I recommend stopping here for lunch or dinner any time you are in or near Media.Special Features:
- French gem in MediaBuntzVIPDined on 4/4/2014We don't dine in Media often, but that is about to change. Our meal at La Belle Epoque was very good, starting with some of the best mussels that I have ever eaten. I can see why they have won awards. I didn't waste a drop of the delicious broth, which was better than most soups. Our entrees, salmon in parchment and duck in a lovely raspberry sauce, were a treat to the palate. We finished with a light mixed berry crepe which left us thinking that we might try some of the many entree crepes on the menu. French restaurants are scarce in the 'burbs, so we were thrilled to find this gem. Parking was a bit of a challenge on a Friday night, but there is a lot nearby if you can't find a street spot. We will definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Such a nice surprise!Jillbo0Dined on 3/29/2014We just tried this for the first time and loved it! I felt like I was back in Paris and the food was delicious. I love the fact that everything came out steaming hot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, So-So ServiceDelcoMomDined on 3/29/2014Good for a date night, although intimate tables are close to the door and chilly, despite curtain covering entrance. Food was good, although cheese plate did not need chocolate chips (as an appetizer?). Our server was not on the ball . . . after serving our dinner, took 5 minutes to bring missing fork, veggie side also came 5 minutes after main dish. Menu should state that main dishes include vegetable (so that we did not have to order separate sides). Server also did not seem well-versed re: recommending wine/food pairings (which is odd, given the restaurant is a wine bar). A nice dinner, but could have been better if the service kicked it up a notch.Special Features:
- Always a treat.LindaBDined on 3/22/2014It's always a treat to go to a restaurant that prepares food the correct way. La Belle Epoque knows how to make a real crepe and they are delicious.Special Features:
- Two words - GET THERECode369VIPDined on 3/21/2014This place caught me and my wife by surprise, it is without a doubt one of the best places I have ever had a meal. Wes, our server was fantastic, and everything from the drinks to the food was incredible. Check this place out and you wont regret it. Outstanding. Will return often.Special Features:
- Authentic, well-prepared cuisine.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/19/2014Authentic, well-prepared cuisine. Small, intimate, good value. Friendly, attentive service. Wine by glass a bit pricey for size served. Will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sumptuous on State Street!RockyDined on 3/15/2014We enjoyed an excellent dinner -- I had the hanger steak while she enjoyed the Chilean Sea Bass. The only complaint of the evening was that I requested a rare steak and, essentially, it was well done -- which I did not point out to the server. Great location one block from the parking garage. Would definitely recommend La Belle Epoque --- c'est superbe!Special Features:
- excellent girls night outLokaDined on 3/11/2014We went there for Media's restaurant week and the food was fantastic. Tables are a bit cozy, not a problem for us but could see that being an issue for others. The wine was quite good as well (I had the sauvignon blanc and my friends had the malbec merlot blend). Only complaint... when my friend ordered a second class of the malbec/merlot they were out and instead of telling her they just gave her a different malbec (that wasn't as good). Seemed sneaky, would've been appreciated if she had just told my friend they were out and either suggested the other one or brought the wine menu back so she could pick for herself. Other than that - good service, amazing food and good wine - we really enjoyed our girls night out!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food+++Service???mwinkelm3SpringfieldPADined on 3/9/2014OUTSTANDING FOOD. Excellent grilled lamb chops and roasted beet salad. However, service slow and intermittent and had issues with the timing throughout the meal. It took forever to get a glass of wine while the diners at the table next to ours were on their 3rd and 4th refills. Refills of water were equally non-existent. This was our first visit to this restaurant. Not sure we'll be back anytime soon Would recommend with above reservations. Note to future diners: Do not get seated at the tall table next to the curtained door airway lock and self check coat rack! It is **really** disruptive to the dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a great local findSteveDined on 3/9/2014I met a friend for brunch on Sunday and enjoyed a leisurely two-hour meal. the service was very good, and I never felt rushed like sometimes happens in a busy restaurant. We started with mimosa's which were savory, with the right blend of sparkling wine and OJ, along with a little too milky espresso machiatto. My friend ordered a beet salad and ate every bit. It was beautifully presented, fresh and very tasty. I had a French omelet, which was a tad overdone but still quite tasty. some tables are much too close and make it hard for intimate conversation. I waited for one that was more remote and I am glad a did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth your timeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/1/2014Host at the front door was cold and unfriendly. We waited over an hour and our appetizer never came. An older woman, short with blonde hair, possibly the owner came to the table and refilled our water. I tried to ask her about our food and she did not even turn around to acknowledge me but went over to the server who told her yes we have been waiting a long time. The server told us the appetizer would be out in 5 mins. About 15 mins later, we finally got food only to find out it was our entrees. I asked about the appetizer and no one seemed to have any idea what happened. We were given wine and dessert on the house, but the owner or a manager never came to apologize about the experience. Not worth 2 1/2 hours for salmon and a crepe.
- A little bit of France in MediaPatch21Dined on 3/1/2014We love this restaurant -- for brunch on the weekend, for lunch if we get called to jury duty or for a romantic dinner. They have a large selection of wine by the glass and the service is friendly and professional. We can't wait until the weather warms up for good so we can sit outside and watch the people (and pups) go by!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French Countryside in MediaAlanSVIPDined on 2/23/2014A small, quaint bistro in the heart of Media, La Belle Epoque provided us a very good meal at an exceedingly reasonable price. The salads, House and Caprese, were more than enough for two people to share. Soup du jour, cream of carrot and mango, was good although a bit sweet for my taste. Entrees included Boeuf Bourguinon, Canard a la Framboise, Poulet Roli, a Crepe La Mer. All were well enjoyed. For dessert we sampled a sweet berry crepe and Tiramisu; both delicious. The food, aside from the crepes, is a bit simple but delicious; the crepes are a real treat, whether for lunch, dinner or dessert. Reservations for a return visit have already been made.Special Features:
- The Food is Delicious!JannycVIPDined on 2/22/2014This is the first time my husband I dined here for dinner together. We expected our food to be good and it was delicious! The beet salad is presented beautifully and it tastes even better. Definitely not you run-of-the-mill salad. Mussels are always outstanding and innovative and my husband's Beef Burgundy dish was enough for two meals, so we took half home! Service, while pleasant was not outstanding. Server did not anticipate our needs as far as our bar beverages were concerned and we waited a long time with our utensils placed on the dinner plates before we could ask for our check. Definitely not a deal breaker. Water was consistently poured from an attentive bussing staff. We will recommend and return!Special Features:
- My husband and I have dinedFoodiesluv2eatDined on 2/22/2014My husband and I have dined here 3 times now and each meal has been an experience in itself. I have had the Duck Breast and Lamb Chops. Both were cooked to perfection. If you like Mussels you must order their mussels as you will leave being a lover of mussels. This has become our most favorite place to dine. I would proudly recommend this restaurant to all my friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to go backDEDinerDined on 2/15/2014Had brunch with a couple of girlfriends last Saturday and we had a lovely time. Food was great. Drinks were great. Service was great! I'm sure we'll return soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lighter fare faired wellLastingMemoriesVIPDined on 2/14/2014Dined on crepes and bisque for a quick supper. The seafood crepes was generously stuffed with tasty lobster, shrimp and crab meat. The bisque was served hot and creamy, and both dishes paired well with a nice white burgundy. Service was attentive but not intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place is small whichCharliegirl1Dined on 2/14/2014This place is small which makes it feel warm and comfortable. It has a nice view of State Street in Media. The food was excellent especially the mussel appetizer. The only complaint was that there was a long wait between our appetizers and main entree. Our waiter was attentive and helpful especially with our wine selection. It was the perfect place to have a Valentine's romantic dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeKCblinddateblessedDined on 2/14/2014This is a place we love. A special treat is sitting at the bar, enjoying their mussels, and doing a flight of wines. If you're sitting at a table, be sure to ask for Wes. He is delightful and outstanding.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceJohnDined on 2/8/2014Had a great experience at this restaurant. Met two other friends there for the first time and all four had a great time. Food was very good and the service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.