La Belle Epoque Wine Bistro
38 W State St
Media, PA 19063Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
La Belle Epoque Wine Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://labellebistro.com/
- Phone: (610) 566-6808
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm.
Dinner: Sunday: 5:00pm - 8:00pm. Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm.
Weekend Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Wine Bar, French, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Loic Barnieu
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We offer off-site catering for your private events and parties.
- Private Party Facilities: For private parties please call 610-566-6808.
- Private Party Contact: Erin 610-566-6808
- Entertainment: We partake in all the Media Music Festivals. Check us out on Facebook to see our upcoming events.
A word from La Belle Epoque Wine Bistro
We are an authentic French Restaurant serving lunch, dinner and weekend brunch located in downtown Media, PA. For over ten years customers have been returning to Mainline Magazine's "Best French Restaurant" for excellent food, service and wine. Make sure you try Mainline Magazine's "Best Mussels" - they are a must - along with our Tuesday Night Wine Tastings and Champagne Sundays.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
La Belle Epoque Wine Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
36 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (21)fit for foodies (18)great for brunch (11)great for lunch (9)special occasion (9)notable wine list (8)great for outdoor dining (6)romantic (6)good for groups (2)kid-friendly (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Authentic, well-prepared cuisine.FnmexDined on 3/19/2014Authentic, well-prepared cuisine. Small, intimate, good value. Friendly, attentive service. Wine by glass a bit pricey for size served. Will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sumptuous on State Street!RockyDined on 3/15/2014We enjoyed an excellent dinner -- I had the hanger steak while she enjoyed the Chilean Sea Bass. The only complaint of the evening was that I requested a rare steak and, essentially, it was well done -- which I did not point out to the server. Great location one block from the parking garage. Would definitely recommend La Belle Epoque --- c'est superbe!Special Features:
- excellent girls night outLokaDined on 3/11/2014We went there for Media's restaurant week and the food was fantastic. Tables are a bit cozy, not a problem for us but could see that being an issue for others. The wine was quite good as well (I had the sauvignon blanc and my friends had the malbec merlot blend). Only complaint... when my friend ordered a second class of the malbec/merlot they were out and instead of telling her they just gave her a different malbec (that wasn't as good). Seemed sneaky, would've been appreciated if she had just told my friend they were out and either suggested the other one or brought the wine menu back so she could pick for herself. Other than that - good service, amazing food and good wine - we really enjoyed our girls night out!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food+++Service???mwinkelm3SpringfieldPADined on 3/9/2014OUTSTANDING FOOD. Excellent grilled lamb chops and roasted beet salad. However, service slow and intermittent and had issues with the timing throughout the meal. It took forever to get a glass of wine while the diners at the table next to ours were on their 3rd and 4th refills. Refills of water were equally non-existent. This was our first visit to this restaurant. Not sure we'll be back anytime soon Would recommend with above reservations. Note to future diners: Do not get seated at the tall table next to the curtained door airway lock and self check coat rack! It is **really** disruptive to the dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a great local findSteveVIPDined on 3/9/2014I met a friend for brunch on Sunday and enjoyed a leisurely two-hour meal. the service was very good, and I never felt rushed like sometimes happens in a busy restaurant. We started with mimosa's which were savory, with the right blend of sparkling wine and OJ, along with a little too milky espresso machiatto. My friend ordered a beet salad and ate every bit. It was beautifully presented, fresh and very tasty. I had a French omelet, which was a tad overdone but still quite tasty. some tables are much too close and make it hard for intimate conversation. I waited for one that was more remote and I am glad a did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth your timeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/1/2014Host at the front door was cold and unfriendly. We waited over an hour and our appetizer never came. An older woman, short with blonde hair, possibly the owner came to the table and refilled our water. I tried to ask her about our food and she did not even turn around to acknowledge me but went over to the server who told her yes we have been waiting a long time. The server told us the appetizer would be out in 5 mins. About 15 mins later, we finally got food only to find out it was our entrees. I asked about the appetizer and no one seemed to have any idea what happened. We were given wine and dessert on the house, but the owner or a manager never came to apologize about the experience. Not worth 2 1/2 hours for salmon and a crepe.
- A little bit of France in MediaPatch21Dined on 3/1/2014We love this restaurant -- for brunch on the weekend, for lunch if we get called to jury duty or for a romantic dinner. They have a large selection of wine by the glass and the service is friendly and professional. We can't wait until the weather warms up for good so we can sit outside and watch the people (and pups) go by!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French Countryside in MediaAlanSVIPDined on 2/23/2014A small, quaint bistro in the heart of Media, La Belle Epoque provided us a very good meal at an exceedingly reasonable price. The salads, House and Caprese, were more than enough for two people to share. Soup du jour, cream of carrot and mango, was good although a bit sweet for my taste. Entrees included Boeuf Bourguinon, Canard a la Framboise, Poulet Roli, a Crepe La Mer. All were well enjoyed. For dessert we sampled a sweet berry crepe and Tiramisu; both delicious. The food, aside from the crepes, is a bit simple but delicious; the crepes are a real treat, whether for lunch, dinner or dessert. Reservations for a return visit have already been made.Special Features:
- The Food is Delicious!JannycVIPDined on 2/22/2014This is the first time my husband I dined here for dinner together. We expected our food to be good and it was delicious! The beet salad is presented beautifully and it tastes even better. Definitely not you run-of-the-mill salad. Mussels are always outstanding and innovative and my husband's Beef Burgundy dish was enough for two meals, so we took half home! Service, while pleasant was not outstanding. Server did not anticipate our needs as far as our bar beverages were concerned and we waited a long time with our utensils placed on the dinner plates before we could ask for our check. Definitely not a deal breaker. Water was consistently poured from an attentive bussing staff. We will recommend and return!Special Features:
- My husband and I have dinedFoodiesluv2eatDined on 2/22/2014My husband and I have dined here 3 times now and each meal has been an experience in itself. I have had the Duck Breast and Lamb Chops. Both were cooked to perfection. If you like Mussels you must order their mussels as you will leave being a lover of mussels. This has become our most favorite place to dine. I would proudly recommend this restaurant to all my friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to go backDEDinerDined on 2/15/2014Had brunch with a couple of girlfriends last Saturday and we had a lovely time. Food was great. Drinks were great. Service was great! I'm sure we'll return soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lighter fare faired wellLastingMemoriesVIPDined on 2/14/2014Dined on crepes and bisque for a quick supper. The seafood crepes was generously stuffed with tasty lobster, shrimp and crab meat. The bisque was served hot and creamy, and both dishes paired well with a nice white burgundy. Service was attentive but not intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place is small whichCharliegirl1Dined on 2/14/2014This place is small which makes it feel warm and comfortable. It has a nice view of State Street in Media. The food was excellent especially the mussel appetizer. The only complaint was that there was a long wait between our appetizers and main entree. Our waiter was attentive and helpful especially with our wine selection. It was the perfect place to have a Valentine's romantic dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeKCblinddateblessedDined on 2/14/2014This is a place we love. A special treat is sitting at the bar, enjoying their mussels, and doing a flight of wines. If you're sitting at a table, be sure to ask for Wes. He is delightful and outstanding.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceJohnDined on 2/8/2014Had a great experience at this restaurant. Met two other friends there for the first time and all four had a great time. Food was very good and the service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great nightDoctorJVIPDined on 2/5/2014Enjoyed dinner at the bar on this visit. Kem was exceptional, very helpful with the wine selection, and a pleasure to chat with during our meal.Special Features:
- Bad experienceLuv2dineDined on 2/1/2014We realized this was a small place but we were seated by the hostess, the front door and cleaning supplies. No effort was made to try to accommodate us even though we had reservations for a long time. We were told they were completely booked but yet no less than five tables stayed available for 45 minutes while we were there. Fortunately a spot opened at the bar to salvage the evening. The hostess was not helpful. Our waitress and bartender were very nice and accomodating however. For the prices, it left us with a bad taste.
- Reliable traditional FrenchWhitDined on 1/19/2014I've been here three times; once the service was off, but otherwise Belle Époque has been reliable for the sort of informal French dining I most enjoy. No nouvelle cuisine or fusion stuff, but a very nice duck in raspberry sauce. The green beans were undercooked (do you have to be in France to get vegetables just right?) but a terrific golden beet and apple soup for starters, and a chocolate mousse to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite french bistro!CindylouDined on 1/19/2014Mussels are the best! Filet incredible! Crepes super! Hanger steak awesome! Roadted chicken perfect! Do not leave without having a Nutella crepe!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy FoodOpieDined on 1/18/2014Extensive menu makes this French restaurant perfect for brunch or lunch. The vegetarian panini was delicious and large enough so that half the panini became a late night snack later. The beet salad was delicious but there was no indication on the menu or by the server that this was a constructed salad that had very little lettuce. The crepes were delicious and it was a big plus that breakfast-type foods were available all day. The only drawback was that the server was sullen. The coffee was hot and strong--just right for ending the meal. A good restaurant for meeting a colleague or friend for lunch.Special Features:
- Choose carefullyRVEatsDined on 1/2/2014This is a lovely little French bistro...rarely very busy, which is why I like it. The escargot are fantastic, as is the Beef bourguignon. Most things are very good, but their crepes are hit 'n' miss. They're cooked into something more like a burrito and scream for fresh herbs--otherwise, they're just heavy and cheesy. Good wine list however and, trust me, stick with the Beef bourguignon. Heavenly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- took my wife on new yearsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/31/2013took my wife on new years eve. we really liked the food, not a large menu but varied. from crepes to bueef burginion & tastySpecial Features:
- New Year's Eve dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2013My wife, daughter and I thoroughly enjoyed our Holiday dinner, The food was excellent and very well presented. I enjoyed a perfect filet mignon while my wife and daughter loved their salmon and crepe. However, our service was a little slow and, at times, inattentive. Our server was also responsible for bartending so his attention was divided all evening. Nevertheless, I look forward to many more visits to La Belle Epoque.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- if you can't get to France...ratbagDined on 12/27/2013La Belle Epoque is wonderful. The food is delicious, well -prepared, high quality yet devoid of pretense. There are things on their menu that you can't find many places, like real Breton crepes and a kickin' Croke Miss You (croque monsieur). I've never had anything here that has fallen short. The wine list- bottle or glass- is outstanding and unusual. (I had a Vouvray last time- sold by the glass.) Everything is made from scratch. Seasoning is subtle and balanced. Waitstaff is patient, pleasant and good-looking. I've been to France- this place is real.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vive la France!JerseyMikeDined on 12/26/2013A tossed salad, roast chicken, and whipped potatoes. Might not sound too exciting, but it's quintessential French comfort food, and one of the highlights of the menu. Add an intelligent wine list, cultured ambience, and a Nutella crepe for dessert, and you've got the makings of a memorable meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special placeTrishDined on 12/12/2013We really enjoyed our dinner here. You have to try the escargot. My husband didn't think he would like them but he thought they were delicious. It has a cozy atmosphere on a cold night. We had a window seat so we had a great view of all the stores nearby decorated for the holiday It was wonderful to sip our wine and watch everyone hurrying past in the cold and fallen snow, The food was delicious. We felt like we were dining in a cafe in Paris.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good little French bistroRVEatsDined on 12/5/2013Everything you'd want for a mid-week dinner with friends. Quiet, above-average food and drink, nice atmosphere. A nice place for conversation and dinner. Had the escargot (with good bread) and Beef bourguignon, which was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Close quartersbruteparrisDined on 11/16/2013We went here kinda last minute. Wanted to try something new. It's in a great location in the heart of Media. Inside is small and very tightly packed. We sat at a table for 2. Which was very small and uncomfortably close to the other tables. We both had the French onion soup. Which was a little sweet for my taste. My wife had no comment on it. I had the filet mignon. It was very good. Tender and cooked perfectly. My wife had the crepes. She literally took 2 bites and left the rest. She said it was dry and bland. The woman seared next to me said the same thing about hers. We ended with creme brule. It was very good.not sure we would eat here again.Special Features:
- Always a consistent experienceDoctorJVIPDined on 11/5/2013Quaint, typically quiet, small intimate setting. Food is always excellent, wine by the glass choices always good.Special Features:
- Food was made to order andWine2Dined on 11/2/2013Food was made to order and fresh. If you are in a hurry, would recommend dining here when you have the time to enjoy your meal, wine and company. Our waitress was very friendly and professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great location, great potentialGeneVIPDined on 11/2/2013This is a cute restaurant with lots of potential. The hostess could use some training, or a different attitude. We arrived on time for our 6pm reservation, and were squeezed into a tiny table for two. We asked for a different table, but the hostess said that the computer had assigned us to that table, she could not do anything about it. (In the last five years this is the first time we have asked for a different table at any restaurant). When we left at 7:30 there were still several tables for two that had not been occupied. We did like our server, and the food was acceptable, although not at the level of similar bistro restaurants in Philadelphia, like Zinc, Caribou, Bistrot La Minette, or Bistro St. Tropez.
- Date NightMediajaneDined on 11/2/2013One of my Media favorites. Always friendly, courteous service. Great food---and the wine bar is the best in town!Special Features:
- Couldn't Decide What to Eat!StuffedDined on 10/27/2013There are so many delicious-sounding choices on the menu, it's hard to decide which to choose. All three of us really enjoyed our omelette, panino and eggs benedict. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and drinks experiencebertieDined on 10/26/2013Have been there two times in October and liked it both times. Restaurant is rather small so tables are on the small side and pretty close together. Red wine selection was good and the candied ginger cocktail with sparking wine was really delicious. A dining companion had a Mojito which was really good. Liked the mussels and crepes especially the fish and lamb ones. I did find the lamb crepe to be a little dry even though it had some goat cheese in it. Loved that the servers were in costume anticipating Halloween the next week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must visit in the western suburbsSpikeVIPDined on 10/25/2013Comfortable, casual with wonderfully prepared food. If I lived in Media, they'd have to give me my own table! Go, eat, enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bad french foodMaggiemayDined on 10/19/2013The restaurant was noisy and the tables were too close together. Crepes and escargot were lousy even after escargot were sent back and replaced. Crepes were overcooked , dry and tasteless. Beet salad was tasty and my husbands steak was good.The wine we shared was good but pricey. This restaurant did not command the fees charged for the meal. Very disappointed!Special Features:
- Table for TwoGenesgirl8Dined on 10/19/2013Were not pleased with the seating at all. It was too close to the reception desk and it felt like the person handling that was in on our conversation. When we asked about another table for two, we were told that they were booked for the evening....that's fine, however, the other people weren't there as yet and perhaps they wouldn't have minded the table we were given. Hostess not very congenial and in fact was a little snippy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing was notableLishanDined on 10/11/2013Menu promised more of an authentic French experience than food delivered. Nothing was notable; nothing was terrible; nothing to rave about. For the price I expected better.
- I love Le Belle Epoque. ItHungrygirlVIPDined on 10/6/2013I love Le Belle Epoque. It is by far my favorite restaurant in Media, PA, which is probaly 50 attributed to Les, a fabulous waiter, and the food which is always top quality. I will keep coming back because I love it so much!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French Dining extraordinaireMickeyHerbVIPDined on 10/5/2013My college son wanted french food, so off we went and we were not disappointed, Large portions, well-prepared, A fine dining experience. Great restaurant area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.