La Bastide Bistro
10006 Scripps Ranch Blvd, #104
San Diego, CA 92131Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
La Bastide Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.labastidebistro.com/
- Phone: 8585770033x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday-Thursday 11:00am-9:00pm; Friday-Saturday 11:00am-10:00pm;
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French
- Executive Chef: Timothy Angel
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Please take a look at our website to see our special events. Wednesday Night Live Maine Lobster 1 and 1/4 lbs for $17.99 +tax + service
A word from La Bastide Bistro
La Bastide offers French-American cuisine with a contemporary flair. You will do a Tour de France enjoying such delicacies as our famous moules marinieres, salmon papillotes, coq au vin, duck confit, crème brulee, or crepes suzettes prepared by our well known chef de cuisine Barry Coalson. Enjoy a glass of wine or a cocktail at the bar. The atmosphere is very relaxing and casual, no dress code enforced.Continued
Silver Fork Award, Best French Restaurant SignonSanDiego, ....
Silver Fork Award, Best French Restaurant SignonSanDiego, ....
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
La Bastide Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
38 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (28)fit for foodies (19)great for lunch (13)romantic (10)notable wine list (10)special occasion (9)good for groups (8)great for outdoor dining (6)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (3)hot spot (1)Show More
- excellent as alwaysjudinsdDined on 10/16/2014went for lunch, this is my 3rd time here with a different friend each time and everyone has loved this place and wants to come back for dinner!! This last visit we both had the angus beef sliders that were deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Injustice to duck confitOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/11/2014I love duck confit and had it once for lunch at the restaurant, and it was ok. I went back for dinner hoping to see a better version. But I was completely disappointed at the dish. It was dry and tough. I will not recommend it as a good French restaurant if they cannot make a decent duck confit. Hope they can improve.
- Restaurant Week Hitfred10261Dined on 10/4/2014Our $35 fixed-price menu was very, very good with a wide selection of entrees to choose. I could not finish everything on my plate. We will be back for certain when restaurant week rolls around again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not greatcoipticDined on 10/3/2014Came here for Restaurant Week lunch after a long absence. Compared to the last time I was here, I feel that the food, while good, is not as consistently great as it used to be. The French onion soup was excellent, with the right balance of broth, cheese, and croutons, but the quiche was a tad on the salty side and the frites were not as stylishly presented, nor as skinny, as before. The herbes de provence seasoning on the frites still tastes fantastic.Special Features:
- DisappointedKoalaDined on 9/27/2014Been coming here for years ( prior and current ownership)and never had a bad meal. This time was very poor in ever respect. Restaurant week lunch menu . The onion soup was tasteless. Provençal crepe thrown together and totally void of flavor. Service very slow. Doubt we will return. Sorry , this used to be a favorite.Special Features:
- Changed But Still GreatBrujoVIPDined on 9/27/2014As one of La Bastide's first customers several years ago I have seen the restaurant go through many changes including ownership and chefs. At this juncture and based on a dinner and lunch in the past two weeks I am happy to note that La Bastide remains a great place to get good service, great value, and consistently excellent food. The menu and wine list has changed from Franco-centric to a bit more Cali-Franco but not to any disadvantage. The mussels and fries still please, the steaks are also excellent, the salads are fresh and creative, the onion soup is (most of the time) among the best in San Diego, and the duck confit, while not always consistent, can be superb. From simple, basic fare to more elaborate meals-I highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpecialnursecarlahDined on 9/26/2014Tried this place for restraunt week and it was awesome food was so good. Walnut salad and mousse to die for. Enjoy itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't go for Restaurant Week LunchransheDined on 9/26/2014I've been here in the past for dinner and had great food. Which made my lunch there a disappointment - glorified sandwiches @ a french restaurant? Not what I was expecting.
- Great Services, but...luvtoeatDined on 9/23/2014A group of us had tried this restaurant for restaurant week because of the great reviews. Ordered the pork chop entree with fries and green beans. The fries had been so salted that it was like biting down on french fries flavored salt crystals. The pork chop was tender, yet again, it was over salted to the point that I couldn't taste anything but the salt. I thought it had just been my plate, until my friends mentioned what I was thinking. I don't feel like the food was as upscale or on par with the price point. At the end of the meal, none of use decided to take any of our leftovers home, even though I hate to waste food. Reviews had mentioned "bland food" during restaurant week. Wonder if they tried to overcompensate by overseasoning.Special Features:
- Evening with friendsKirkDined on 9/23/2014We recently enjoyed an evening with friends at La Bastide. The wait staff was pleasant and not overly zealous, the food was delicious and paced adequately. All in all it was a very pleasant evening and we will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/23/2014Even the simple pork chop is sublime. I have been cooking for many years, with very positive feedback, and I would be hard pressed to recreate the food we had here.Special Features:
- BusyOtldocDined on 9/23/2014It was restaurant week and they were slammed. Service was a bit slow as a result, but the food was worth the wait. I would not hold the wait against them because when you go places for restaurant week crowds need to be expected.Special Features:
- wonderful foodjudinsdDined on 9/4/2014This was my first time here & went for lunch with a friend, I had the shrimp crepe and she had one of their salads, my crepe was delish and those fries....ohhhh yum, she also said her salad was very good. The service was excellent also, very attentive and friendly but not pushy. This is a great little spot which I will revisit soon.Special Features:
- mokeeDined on 9/3/2014First time here with a group of 6 friends. We all loved it. Great Food, Great Atmosphere. Will come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gemCardinalfanDined on 8/15/2014This neighborhood find never disappoints. Great food, varied menu, attentive staff and martinis are awesome. Relatively small in size, makes it the perfect atmosphere for romance, good friends, family meals, or small group business meals. Love this place!Special Features:
- Excellent Food Quiet NeighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/6/2014Found La Bastide doing a quick search for upper scale fare for a special occasion. I am extremely pleased I found this and so was the rest of our large party! The food was amazing across the board. Food took a little longer to come out, but well worth the wait. Highly recommend this to others and I will be going back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food :-)PamVDayDined on 8/6/2014I had the lobster for $19.99 on Wednesdays and the goat crouton salad, really good! My bf had the lamb and that was good as well! It's a cute little restaurant, and it's got a nice ambience so I feel like it was a nice find :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the VIsitSanDiegoDinerDined on 8/4/2014Restaurants come and go but La Bastide is a restaurant that deserves a high and consistent level of patronage. We have dined at La Bastide three times now a Lunch and twice at dinner all on different days and all consistently well done. There are so many great places in SD County that we try to move around, however, we have our top five that will we try to patronize routinely, La Bastide is among them for their fresh, consistent, well prepared and presented meals.Special Features:
- lovely neighborhood restaurantMsSpoonDined on 7/18/2014Surprised to enjoy such deliciousness in a shopping mall! Our dinners were well prepared, beautifully plated, and graciously presented. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friesen FillyFriesen87FillyDined on 7/14/2014I dine often at La Bastide and usually enjoy the food very much. However, last Monday the mixed green salad had many spoiled pieces of lettuce in it. Picking around to find a leaf good enough to eat (and there weren't many!) diminished my dining pleasure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 423 reviews are from the La Bastide Bistro reviews archive.
- Great PlaceRonbertDined on 7/12/2014I knew nothing about the place so it was a stab in the dark. Our dinner was a wonderful experience - the ambiance, the food, and the service were all great. Now I'm going to take three other friends there for a special lunch in August.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/15/2014Visited for a dinner on a Sunday night. Asked for extra bread and was told they had just put bread in the oven (seems like they would have that already set up). For desert asked for a coffee and was told they were just brewing (again seems they would have that already set up) Wasn't crowded so hard to believe they would have had a run on bread and coffee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine French FoodshoppermamaDined on 5/27/2014Dinner before a play downtown so we were early. Sat outside on patio but the parking lot noise made it distracting. We shared the Warm Goat Cheese Crouton which was very good and just enough for two to share. I ordered the Coq Au Vin which was good but not great. My dining companion ordered Seared Scallops and she said they were excellent. We didn't order wine but had cocktails instead. Our dining experience was great and I want to go back again when we aren't rushed. Our server did a great job getting us out in time to beat the rush hour traffic and arrive in time for our play. He was very attentive.Special Features:
- La Bastide, Scripps RanchJoyceVIPDined on 5/27/2014The Jidori chicken with bacon cream sauce is divine. Went with a group of four and we all were very happy with our lunch. After we paid our bill we sat and talked for about another hour and our waiter kept refilling our iced tea and was still very attentive. A lovely dining experience, definitely recommend and will be back.Special Features:
- Awesome Food!JulieDined on 5/24/2014Seriously amazing food. We ordered the Ahi and the Parisian Gnocchi -- both get an A+. Our server Jillian was also very helpful with recommendations. Such a great little find in the middle of a quiet neighborhood!Special Features:
- a charming french bistrogarfieldDined on 5/19/2014La bastide is a cosy french restaurant.the service is friendly,yet very professionel.the food is great.in my opinion as french as you can get in san diego.the menu is well balance and offer great selection.the wine list is fine but they should have a selection with more french wineSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very rough around the edgesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014The food quality and creativity does not match the dishes' price points. Servers were extremely nice but inexperienced. I would not return to this restaurant.
- Great Mother's DayLucioDined on 5/11/2014A wonderful venue for Mother's day, service and food was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodie5Dined on 5/5/2014The food was delicious except the service we expected was not altogether there. While everybody else in our party received their food, we waited more than 15 minutes to receive ours. We dined on a Monday night and there were 3 other tables dining when we had dinner. It was not busy but it surprised us that we had to remind/ask our server for water constantly, and one of our dining guests had to fix his own table to keep it from wobbling. For dinner entrees priced above $20, we have had better quality service elsewhere.Special Features:
- Excellence in a strip mallOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/12/2014La Bastide is a quiet little neighborhood restaurant tucked away in a grocery store strip mall in Scripps Ranch, but it's quality far surpasses it's location. The food was excellent, with vibrant and nuanced flavors in every dish we had - prawn appetizer, salad with goat cheese, ahi tuna over spicy butternut squash, and duck. The wine list was not too extensive or exciting, but it had some interesting selections. Luckily, we had brought our own Pinot Noir, which they opened fôr a reasonable corkage fee. Service was attentive and punctual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great French BistroOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/5/2014I started with the Scallop appetizer which was cooked perfectly. The rack of lamb was terrific. I asked for medium rare and got medium rare. The spices were delicious. The mushroom purses tasted great. The service was attentive and helpful. I would recommend this place.Special Features:
- Great Neighborhood GemlindafoodieDined on 3/14/2014We have been here many times and have never had a bad experience -- each time we try new entrees and are always pleasantly surprised by the new creations! Our dinner on Friday was excellent. The swordfish was amazingly tender and the lobster appetizer was a delicious treat! Keep up the great innovations! Service is attentive and friendly.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood RestaurantCocobilliDined on 3/1/2014Great food. Good food selection.Good service and nice ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- casual dining with amazing foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/22/2014We've been to La Bastide Bistro several times and food is always wonderful. It takes us over 30 minutes to drive there but it's always worth it. Top quality produce, meat, fish, and cheeses is the hands of an amazing chef and kitchen staff make this restaurant a must for foodies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time visityumyumDined on 2/15/2014I've been wanting to try this place for a while. The location is a strip mall in Scripps Ranch but the interior has a nice ambiance. Though it was a little loud. Our server was a little more casual than the food/setting required but she did what she was supposed to do. The other staff seemed great. The food was wonderful and was timed perfectly. We had the rack of lamb, lobster gnocchi, bibb salad, and caesar salad. We both had delicious cockails. Overall a great place and I'll go there again for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great valentines day dinnerKrisDined on 2/14/2014great dinner, great ambience for a romantic Valentines dinner with my wife.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing Special!Phantom37Dined on 2/1/2014Nothing special stands out... and really, that's the point. A dinning experience should be memorable. But there is nothing really memorable about our night out at La Bastide Bistro. The ambience was 'OK' , the service 'a bit lifeless', the food 'unspectacular', and the bill 'a bit pricy'. Sorry, but it is what it is... Check please!Special Features:
- Outstanding - worth a longOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/25/2014Outstanding - worth a long drive to. Really great restaurant week menu. Shrimp was particularly great, and service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant week successFrancophilesDined on 1/25/2014This was not the first time here for our group of 6 and we were happy to see that La Bastide was the only north county restaurant which included the middle Saturday in their two weeks of Restaurant Week. Nice number of choices for all three courses, generous portions, and attentive service. Everyone loved what they chose - from the moules, bibb salad with goat cheese, or shrimp over risotto appetizers, to the duck confit, petrale sole, salmon entrees (and three others that we didn't choose sounded great also, though an extra fee for the beef entrees). One of the desserts on the menu was not available but the tarte tatin and mousse au chocolat were excellent. Great price of $35. Very good wine list and knowledgeable sommelier. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Updated French without the AttitudesharonredbarronDined on 1/25/2014This place provides some great food along with a pleasant ambiance. Their food is French with a California twist, and the proportions were much larger than we expected. It was Restaurant Week, so we had the three courses. The appetizers, sauteed shrimp with vanilla risotto and salad with warm goat cheese crouton drizzled with honey, were delicious and large. My spouse went with the coq au vin, and he loved the sauce. His only negative comment was that it was served with pommes frites rather than mashers, which he felt would have paired with the sauce better. I ordered a steak with the most delicious butter melted over the top, & pommes frites. We ended with the chocolate mousse (creamy and rich) and the apple tart tatin. Yum!Special Features: