2300 N. Lincoln Park West
Chicago, IL 60614Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.l2orestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7738680002x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday & Thursday: 6:00 p.m.-10:00 p.m., Friday 5.30-11 p.m., Saturday: 5:00 p.m.-11:00 p.m., Sunday: 5:30 p.m. - 9:30 p.m. Closed Tuesday & Wednesday.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, French
- Executive Chef: Matthew Kirkley
- Dress Code: Jacket Preferred
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from L2O
L2O is a modern seafood restaurant located in Chicago's Lincoln Park neighborhood. Divided into a number of distinct spaces, L2O offers guests a sense of intimacy. The dining room features a 4-course prix-fixe menu and a tasting menu. The wine list is both approachable and global in its scope, and many cocktails are prepared tableside.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
L2O reviews from OpenTable diners
88 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (70)fit for foodies (65)romantic (58)notable wine list (49)neighborhood gem (9)hot spot (7)good for groups (5)great for outdoor dining (3)great for lunch (2)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Phenomenal!DanaDined on 10/19/2014This place is wonderful, definitely fit for a special occasion. The food was creative and tasty and the staff very attentive. Would recommend the Chef's tasting menu - 14 courses. Well worth the price. The best meal we have had in years. Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!SpikelawVIPDined on 10/13/2014Probably the best service I have had in a long time. Usually a dining experience like the gone to beg had at L20 comes long with a pretentiousness that detracts from the enjoyment. Not here. The staff was uber professional while at the same time maintaining a sense of humor and "humanness" that made everything better. As good as I thought the food would be, it was better. We got the 3 course paired with wine with some offerings from the tasting added a la carte. Great!!!Special Features:
- Artistic but not tastyjebd00Dined on 10/12/2014The food on the tasting menu was beautifully presented and they were unique combinations of food, however, the taste of the food often fell far short of my expectation. There were a few very good dishes but the majority were just fair. For the price they need to hit on all marks.Special Features:
- Incredibleasdf1234Dined on 10/12/2014This was an amazing experience. The ambiance and service were incredible, but the star here is the food. We had the 15 course tasting menu. Each course was a work of art and was fabulously interesting. Every dish had elements and combinations that I'd never had before, and while not all of them resonated with my tastes, they were all noteworthy and incredibly sophisticated. Don't get me wrong, there were some truly amazing flavor combinations, but also some that didn't work for me. This was also undoubtedly the most expensive meal I've ever eaten but was worth the once-in-a-lifetime experience. It can be hard to find because there is no obvious sign outside. It's inside the Belden-Stratford building at 2300 N. Lincoln Park West, Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- L2O dinnersandmathurDined on 10/10/2014excellent service and an excellent food selection, preparation and finish. Pleasure for all the senses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Occasion SpotjeffpfosterDined on 10/5/2014We had this place recommended to us as a place to visit for a special occasion. It did not disappoint. We did the tasting menu and loved every course. We are still talking about them days later. The service was impeccable.Special Features:
- LoveNYCdiningVIPDined on 10/2/2014The food and service was impeccable. The sommelier was extremely knowledgeable and recommended a very nice bottle of wine. Definitely will return on my next visit to Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IncredibleMB80Dined on 9/27/2014L2O took the concept of food to a whole new level. The service was top notch, friendly, knowledgeable, and non-intrusive. The food was incredible. Each bite was handcrafted to blend together in your mouth and the presentation was a work of art.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing, Meal of a lifetime!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/26/2014Amazing, Meal of a lifetime! The food was delicious and presented in such a way it was almost too beautiful to eat...Almost! The services was really exceptional as well. What a treat!Special Features:
- potential not fully realised.WineWarriorDined on 9/22/2014Setting, staff and presentation all top rate. Food taste itself based on our one meal didn't match the presentation. LoudmouthedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Birthday DinnerTBCEVIPDined on 9/21/2014This was our first visit since the arrival of the new chef. Wow. L2O is better than ever. The food is beautiful to look at, tastes marvelous, and the presentation on the plates is the best I have ever seen. The creativity and patience to create such effects are impressive (and a little scary. 😊 don't ever mess with these people. They're that good.) Portion control is perfect; we left satisfied and not at all stuffed. The prices are what you would expect. We actually thought L2O to be eminently reasonable for what you get and very much worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service, amazing sea foodfoodwinedocVIPDined on 9/19/2014From the unassuming entrance to the final desert course, the evening was sublime. The dining room was a little too quite when we first arrived but the volume picked up slightly during the evening. The wine service was out of this world. The multiple courses were thoughtful and generally delicious. Highlights of the evening were the abalone and galinette. Overall the portions were small so that we weren't too full at the end of the evening. The only down side to this type of dining is that if you really like something, there usually isn't a second bite. Very wonderful evening.Special Features:
- pricy, fishy & flashySamChapmanVIPDined on 9/19/2014The food was good but not at that price. The coolest part was the butter. More sizzle than steak, if you will forgive the inappropriate pun.Special Features:
- Sophisticated and understatedgoodfoodomnivoreVIPDined on 9/14/2014The meal is an event at Lake to Ocean (L2O) with superb service and innovative cuisine subtly prepared. We enjoyed having both options on the pre fixe menu; such options were available for 3 of 4 courses. Centerpiece ingedients in each dish like fois gras, ahi tuna, lobster tail, and pigeon and in several amuses were all prepared and presented with subtle accompaniments that enriched the dish. It often took a very discriminating palate to detect the full range of flavors. The white wines matched the understated complexity of the food better than the reds. We would recommend this place as a special occasion spot for seasoned foodies. Those with palates desiring similarly nuanced but less subtle fare may prefer Next or Alinea.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbGoldiVIPDined on 9/14/2014There is absolutely not one negative comment I can make about this restaurant. We were 45 minutes late (I thought the reservation was for 7, it was for 6) and they welcomed us without mentioning our late arrival. Service and food were everything you would expect from a Michelin restaurant. Delicious and beautifully presented. And finally a quiet place to have a delectable dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DissapointingAmyyyyDined on 9/13/2014The food is extremely salty. Although serving size is quite small, I cannot finish because of the salty taste. My friends' dishes are also salty. Very disappointing.Special Features:
- Great food & ServiceKaranDined on 9/12/2014Great food & service. If price is not the biggest criteria, the experience delivered at L2O is noting short of phenomenal! Friendly staff and very knowledgeable about the food and the wine on offer.Special Features:
- Excellent restauranteve44Dined on 9/12/2014Amazing dinner with an interesting presentation and surprising flavor combinations: like an subtle painting coming on your plate each time. Wine choice different from what we would expect in Europe with a few very good ones, but also a few we did not appreciate so much. Very quiet place for an intimate dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LouisVIPDined on 9/12/2014This place is fabulous. The food is as good as it gets and the service manages to be friendly and inviting while still being very posh.I would recommend this to a friend.
- goodGoodDined on 9/6/2014Everything there is very good, with a lot of perfect waiters. The only bad thing is that we can hardly understand what you describe about the food as a foreigner there. Thx anyway.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OkDiningmeowDined on 8/31/2014We had the tasting menu of 14 dishes. I didn't like 2 or 3 of them but the rest were good so I gave a 4 star out of 5.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- L2O is among the bestgaf11Dined on 8/30/2014L2O has a well-deserved place in the heart of fine-dining in Chicago, perhaps second only to Alinea. The tasting menu, focusing on seafood, was creative, beautifully plated, and delicious. It is a gem under Chef Matt.Special Features:
- Special Occasion Dining for Foodies10SNE1VIPDined on 8/23/2014Great food, impeccable service with outstanding presentations and an extremely knowledgeable staff. The sommelier was particularly informative concerning an Austrian wine that we chose and is not readily available in other fine dining establishments. We were celebrating my birthday which was acknowledged several times. It certainly deserves the much-coveted two-star Michelin Award it received in 2014. Oh, by the way, Steve Harvey happened to be dining here on the same evening as us. I guess he also knows one of the finest dining places in Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food4lifeVIPDined on 8/17/2014What an amazing experience!!! We celebrated my birthday here and it was such a refreshing take on so many delectables. I've added this place as my top special occasion spots to go to!! I was so impressed and even got a tour of the kitchen. Such amazing talent and creative professionals! Thank you for the wonderful experience.Special Features:
- Tour de force tasting menuboulezlDined on 8/17/2014The 14-course tasting menu was well crafted and labour-intensive; the wine-pairing well chosen and interesting. Service is simply IMPECCABLE, of the highest standard. Elena and her colleagues are always one step ahead of the diners. They exude the kind of quiet elegance that harkens back to days of yore. L2O is devoid of loud music (i.e. noise) and rowdy diners; without doubt one of the most elegant restaurants of the Nation!Special Features:
- Medium restaurantEvgenyDined on 8/8/2014For everyone, who was in Europe, especially in Italy, this restaurant will not like at all. Shape snd form of the dishes is great, but the taste and combination of the tastes is more than medium. Maybe for USA this is a great restaurant, but in Italy it barely would have 1 michelin start, not more!!! Disappointment. It is not probkem to pay good money for a really good dinner, but in this case it was looked like cheating. A lot of money for nothing. NOT recommend at all.Special Features:
- Outstandinghesc1965Dined on 8/7/2014Food and service was outstanding good! One of the best tasting menu we ever have eaten!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IsaGVIPDined on 8/2/2014Excellent service,food and ambience, highly recomended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Evening!BillVIPDined on 8/2/2014Great food, great staff, and great looking would be the most direct way of describing this dining experience.Special Features:
- Pricey but memorableDocstoneVIPDined on 8/1/2014It has the clinical quietude of other Michelin rated paces like Tru. The switch from Japanese inspired fare when Anthony Bourdain was there, to the French influenced cuisine, is successful. The food actually tastes better, rather than just impressing with presentation. The lobster was a little chewy. The st Pierre fish was sublime. The mussel mouse appetizer got my attention.Special Features:
- AliceVIPDined on 7/26/2014Fantastic meal. Amazing service. Complete experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfection!chantierDined on 7/26/2014L2O is perfection. It is hands down my favorite restaurant. I grow tired of the heavy meat-filled Chicago food scene. L2O is a welcomed reprieve and a true city gem. I don't visit often enough, but every time I am satisfied and wow-ed. The tasting menu is well portioned. You definitely leave full, but are not forcing down any of the dishes. Well worth the money!Special Features:
- I definitely never come back!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014I didn't like de food at all. I think it was in the average of many other restaurants, I mean nothing special.Special Features:
- Bland tasting foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/19/2014Beautiful looking plates at the expense of taste Too many extremely small bites. Nothing satisfying Service too slow between courses Pleasant service staff Stiff environment
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/19/2014Excellent presentation, delicious food and impeccable service but I was hungry at the end of the tasting meal. Very costly. Glad I experienced it but it is a one time luxury!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely service, interesting foodDivagourmetVIPDined on 7/19/2014I enjoyed the ambiance, pace, and attention, but can't say that the food was as expected. The lobster main course was rubbery, not tender as I would have expected. The emphasis on creativity outweighed the food's flavor. I expected both.Special Features:
- L2O is a No GoLangDined on 7/18/2014L2O does not live up to expectations. After placing a reservation and looking at stunning images of food, I expected a delightful evening of food set in a stunning atmosphere. L2O did not live up to its standards. After finding L2O in an upper class apartment building with little to no signage, you may believe that you have discovered a unique gem within Chicago. The atmosphere is peaceful with simple modern decor and a fish tank in one of the two individual "water closets." Aside from the overall feeling of L2O every other aspect of dining at this restaurant falls flat. The service and food left my guest and I nauseated from the palette cleanser through the final dessert and for days to come. I suggest avoiding the food at L2O.
- Anniversary celebrationHHIGeorgeDined on 7/17/2014Celebrated our anniversary for second year in a row here and it could not have been better. Very expensive but memorable meals and attentive service worth the cost.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingKevinVIPDined on 7/10/2014Impeccable service, beautifully appointed tables, great lighting And marvelous food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chicago's Best RestaurantsalcornVIPDined on 7/6/2014Having dined at nearly all the top places in Chicago, this one stands out. Just on the basis of the exceptional wine list, L2O (which stands for Lakes to Oceans) deserves its Michelin stars. Each offering is so well considered for its ability to match the food or offer something special, and there are a few real gems at reasonable prices. The food is, of course, superb, and each dish is a true work of art. But perhaps the thing that most sets L2O apart is the service, which perfectly strikes that balance between professionalism and sincere friendliness. Truly an experience not to be missed.Special Features: