2300 N. Lincoln Park West
Chicago, IL 60614Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.l2orestaurant.com/
- Phone: (773) 868-0002
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday & Thursday: 6:00 p.m.-10:00 p.m., Friday 5.30-11 p.m., Saturday: 5:00 p.m.-11:00 p.m., Sunday: 5:30 p.m. - 9:30 p.m. Closed Tuesday & Wednesday.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, French
- Executive Chef: Matthew Kirkley
- Dress Code: Jacket Preferred
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from L2O
L2O is a modern seafood restaurant located in Chicago's Lincoln Park neighborhood. Divided into a number of distinct spaces, L2O offers guests a sense of intimacy. The dining room features a multi-course tasting menu. The wine list is both approachable and global in its scope, and many cocktails are prepared tableside.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
L2O reviews from OpenTable diners
100 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelQuiet
fit for foodies (80)special occasion (79)romantic (59)notable wine list (50)neighborhood gem (10)hot spot (8)good for groups (6)great for outdoor dining (3)great for lunch (2)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Impeccable Wine, Food, and ServiceSnarkletVIPDined on 11/23/2014We had a truly great meal -- the food was wonderful and the wine pairings extraordinary. The evening was made perfect by the staff which was both skilled and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and a fun, memorable experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014Everything was great, but I wish they had done omething for the birthday aside from just print it on the menu. A candle in one of the deserts would have been a nice touch. Otherwise, it was a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive but SpecialMJ2EVIPDined on 11/10/2014L2O is almost indescribable. Set in an almost oriental/1950's type setting - it feels very hip. Focused on seafood in all different preparations, the food was delightful, delicious and beautiful to behold. We chose the prix fixe menu which I believe had about 12 different courses. They were all right-sized and paced just right (dinner was about 3 hours). At the end we were satisfied and not overfed - just right. I had a great cocktail called a Mediterranean Breeze and the sommelier was very helpful recommending a Spanish wine that perfectly complimented our meal. I don't recall any food in particular - enjoyed it all. Would definitely recommend for a special occasion. My only teeny weeny complaint is that the service could have been a little sharper but it was not a problem just an observation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unbelievably priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/8/2014If you have a special occasion and like fine dining or a "dining experience" this is the place for you. We celebrated our anniversary and really enjoyed ourselves. The food was very good but "tastings" wear thin after a while especially if you are trying to converse and have to be interrupted every time they bring another tasting to tell you what it is. That meant 18 times during the course of the meal. Also, the alcohol is very expensive but it was no question the best Chardonnay I have ever had the chance to drink. I would only send someone who adores food and the presentation of food. I did not walk out hungry but if you like a regular menu this is not the place for you.Special Features:
- Romantic for honeymoonersDiogoRussoDined on 11/6/2014The chef Matthew translate in Your food the senses, flavours, textures and smoothnes with you desire for us also this coming for us for one of a great experiences for our lives. The attendence is really amazing!!! Thank you for all L20 we love, one day we come back!!! Thank you!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A shame it is closingmcberkeleyVIPDined on 11/6/2014A friend and I thoroughly enjoyed our meal. The service was outstanding, knowledgeable and friendly all around. The food was spectacular, both in taste and presentation. I had the wine pairings, which were spot on and interesting in every case. It is too bad that yet another special top-end place has failed in that location. If you can afford it, don't miss L2O before it closes in December!Special Features:
- Beyond outstandingcdg2VIPDined on 11/1/2014Our dinner at L2O was absolutely phenomenal. The service is gracious while efficient. The food is unbelievable, especially the tuna tartare globe encased in the thin slices of avocado and topped with caviar. We enjoyed the wine pairing, and every choice was both extremely complimentary to the food course as well as a choice we would never have made ourselves. Altogether a perfect meal and evening.Special Features:
- elegantapkurkDined on 10/31/2014Great service and amazing wine pairings. We were well attended to and very happy with service and quality of the food, very seafood focused, similar to Providence in LA.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WORLD CLASS EXPERIENCEHWHWVIPDined on 10/27/2014L2O continues to be standard by which I rate all other restaurants in Chicago. It has consistently offered a truly fine dining experience presented by a warm and genuine staff beginning with the reservation for a business group dinner in the Tree Room and ending with the staff escorting us to our taxis. The choices for the prix fixe dinner were consistent with the high level of preparation and presentation that I assume whenever dining here. Interesting and delicious are just words compared to the joy of tasting each course. A few of my guests had never experienced the level of fine dining L2O offers, but all of the courses were consumed with exclamations of enjoyment. A thoroughly memorable evening.Special Features:
- Excellent food, attentive serviceJADKVIPDined on 10/24/2014My husband and I dined here for our wedding anniversary. The restaurant did some very special things to note the occasion and that was very nice. We did the Prix Fix menu with wine pairings and it was superb. I did have to ask our server to please slow down the pace of the courses; I was having wine poured for the next course and I had barely touched the wine for the current course. While the service was fabulous, I wish it weren't so obvious; truly exceptional service is invisible -- things just happen and you suddenly realize it. Lastly, the sommelier needs to speak up, use clearer language, and engage us in his conversation. It felt like he was performing a monologue and I was eavesdropping to hear it; his assistant was better.Special Features:
- ExcellentstemcellDined on 10/20/2014Outstanding in every respect. Very formal without being boring. Excellent music selection, without being intrusive. Was only disappointed by 2 points: (1) bread was cold and did not feel fresh; (2) though absolutely excellent food (imaginative, tasty, good presentation), I was not blown away, unlike my experience with other Michelin-starred restaurants. Wine was fantastic yet reasonably priced - very helpful sommelier.Special Features:
- Phenomenal!DanaDined on 10/19/2014This place is wonderful, definitely fit for a special occasion. The food was creative and tasty and the staff very attentive. Would recommend the Chef's tasting menu - 14 courses. Well worth the price. The best meal we have had in years. Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too expensivePalandRDined on 10/18/2014Good food and good atmosphere, but I felt it's too expensive.Special Features:
- JackVIPDined on 10/18/2014Outstanding molecular approach. The have their own tank for the abalone and the preparation was unique. Prepare to spend some time, but the flow was even and very much worth it. Gives Alinea a run for their money.Special Features:
- Memorable!JujuDined on 10/16/2014A spectacular tasting menu, a wine pairing delectable and surprising, all accompanied by an outstanding service. That's a big wow for us!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!SpikelawVIPDined on 10/13/2014Probably the best service I have had in a long time. Usually a dining experience like the gone to beg had at L20 comes long with a pretentiousness that detracts from the enjoyment. Not here. The staff was uber professional while at the same time maintaining a sense of humor and "humanness" that made everything better. As good as I thought the food would be, it was better. We got the 3 course paired with wine with some offerings from the tasting added a la carte. Great!!!Special Features:
- Artistic but not tastyjebd00Dined on 10/12/2014The food on the tasting menu was beautifully presented and they were unique combinations of food, however, the taste of the food often fell far short of my expectation. There were a few very good dishes but the majority were just fair. For the price they need to hit on all marks.Special Features:
- Incredibleasdf1234Dined on 10/12/2014This was an amazing experience. The ambiance and service were incredible, but the star here is the food. We had the 15 course tasting menu. Each course was a work of art and was fabulously interesting. Every dish had elements and combinations that I'd never had before, and while not all of them resonated with my tastes, they were all noteworthy and incredibly sophisticated. Don't get me wrong, there were some truly amazing flavor combinations, but also some that didn't work for me. This was also undoubtedly the most expensive meal I've ever eaten but was worth the once-in-a-lifetime experience. It can be hard to find because there is no obvious sign outside. It's inside the Belden-Stratford building at 2300 N. Lincoln Park West, Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- L2O dinnersandmathurDined on 10/10/2014excellent service and an excellent food selection, preparation and finish. Pleasure for all the senses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Occasion SpotjeffpfosterDined on 10/5/2014We had this place recommended to us as a place to visit for a special occasion. It did not disappoint. We did the tasting menu and loved every course. We are still talking about them days later. The service was impeccable.Special Features:
- LoveNYCdiningVIPDined on 10/2/2014The food and service was impeccable. The sommelier was extremely knowledgeable and recommended a very nice bottle of wine. Definitely will return on my next visit to Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IncredibleMB80Dined on 9/27/2014L2O took the concept of food to a whole new level. The service was top notch, friendly, knowledgeable, and non-intrusive. The food was incredible. Each bite was handcrafted to blend together in your mouth and the presentation was a work of art.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing, Meal of a lifetime!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/26/2014Amazing, Meal of a lifetime! The food was delicious and presented in such a way it was almost too beautiful to eat...Almost! The services was really exceptional as well. What a treat!Special Features:
- potential not fully realised.WineWarriorDined on 9/22/2014Setting, staff and presentation all top rate. Food taste itself based on our one meal didn't match the presentation. LoudmouthedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Birthday DinnerTBCEVIPDined on 9/21/2014This was our first visit since the arrival of the new chef. Wow. L2O is better than ever. The food is beautiful to look at, tastes marvelous, and the presentation on the plates is the best I have ever seen. The creativity and patience to create such effects are impressive (and a little scary. 😊 don't ever mess with these people. They're that good.) Portion control is perfect; we left satisfied and not at all stuffed. The prices are what you would expect. We actually thought L2O to be eminently reasonable for what you get and very much worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service, amazing sea foodfoodwinedocVIPDined on 9/19/2014From the unassuming entrance to the final desert course, the evening was sublime. The dining room was a little too quite when we first arrived but the volume picked up slightly during the evening. The wine service was out of this world. The multiple courses were thoughtful and generally delicious. Highlights of the evening were the abalone and galinette. Overall the portions were small so that we weren't too full at the end of the evening. The only down side to this type of dining is that if you really like something, there usually isn't a second bite. Very wonderful evening.Special Features:
- pricy, fishy & flashySamChapmanVIPDined on 9/19/2014The food was good but not at that price. The coolest part was the butter. More sizzle than steak, if you will forgive the inappropriate pun.Special Features:
- Sophisticated and understatedgoodfoodomnivoreVIPDined on 9/14/2014The meal is an event at Lake to Ocean (L2O) with superb service and innovative cuisine subtly prepared. We enjoyed having both options on the pre fixe menu; such options were available for 3 of 4 courses. Centerpiece ingedients in each dish like fois gras, ahi tuna, lobster tail, and pigeon and in several amuses were all prepared and presented with subtle accompaniments that enriched the dish. It often took a very discriminating palate to detect the full range of flavors. The white wines matched the understated complexity of the food better than the reds. We would recommend this place as a special occasion spot for seasoned foodies. Those with palates desiring similarly nuanced but less subtle fare may prefer Next or Alinea.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbGoldiVIPDined on 9/14/2014There is absolutely not one negative comment I can make about this restaurant. We were 45 minutes late (I thought the reservation was for 7, it was for 6) and they welcomed us without mentioning our late arrival. Service and food were everything you would expect from a Michelin restaurant. Delicious and beautifully presented. And finally a quiet place to have a delectable dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DissapointingAmyyyyDined on 9/13/2014The food is extremely salty. Although serving size is quite small, I cannot finish because of the salty taste. My friends' dishes are also salty. Very disappointing.Special Features:
- Great food & ServiceKaranDined on 9/12/2014Great food & service. If price is not the biggest criteria, the experience delivered at L2O is noting short of phenomenal! Friendly staff and very knowledgeable about the food and the wine on offer.Special Features:
- Excellent restauranteve44Dined on 9/12/2014Amazing dinner with an interesting presentation and surprising flavor combinations: like an subtle painting coming on your plate each time. Wine choice different from what we would expect in Europe with a few very good ones, but also a few we did not appreciate so much. Very quiet place for an intimate dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LouisVIPDined on 9/12/2014This place is fabulous. The food is as good as it gets and the service manages to be friendly and inviting while still being very posh.I would recommend this to a friend.
- goodGoodDined on 9/6/2014Everything there is very good, with a lot of perfect waiters. The only bad thing is that we can hardly understand what you describe about the food as a foreigner there. Thx anyway.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OkDiningmeowDined on 8/31/2014We had the tasting menu of 14 dishes. I didn't like 2 or 3 of them but the rest were good so I gave a 4 star out of 5.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- L2O is among the bestgaf11Dined on 8/30/2014L2O has a well-deserved place in the heart of fine-dining in Chicago, perhaps second only to Alinea. The tasting menu, focusing on seafood, was creative, beautifully plated, and delicious. It is a gem under Chef Matt.Special Features:
- Special Occasion Dining for Foodies10SNE1VIPDined on 8/23/2014Great food, impeccable service with outstanding presentations and an extremely knowledgeable staff. The sommelier was particularly informative concerning an Austrian wine that we chose and is not readily available in other fine dining establishments. We were celebrating my birthday which was acknowledged several times. It certainly deserves the much-coveted two-star Michelin Award it received in 2014. Oh, by the way, Steve Harvey happened to be dining here on the same evening as us. I guess he also knows one of the finest dining places in Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food4lifeVIPDined on 8/17/2014What an amazing experience!!! We celebrated my birthday here and it was such a refreshing take on so many delectables. I've added this place as my top special occasion spots to go to!! I was so impressed and even got a tour of the kitchen. Such amazing talent and creative professionals! Thank you for the wonderful experience.Special Features:
- Tour de force tasting menuboulezlDined on 8/17/2014The 14-course tasting menu was well crafted and labour-intensive; the wine-pairing well chosen and interesting. Service is simply IMPECCABLE, of the highest standard. Elena and her colleagues are always one step ahead of the diners. They exude the kind of quiet elegance that harkens back to days of yore. L2O is devoid of loud music (i.e. noise) and rowdy diners; without doubt one of the most elegant restaurants of the Nation!Special Features:
- Medium restaurantEvgenyDined on 8/8/2014For everyone, who was in Europe, especially in Italy, this restaurant will not like at all. Shape snd form of the dishes is great, but the taste and combination of the tastes is more than medium. Maybe for USA this is a great restaurant, but in Italy it barely would have 1 michelin start, not more!!! Disappointment. It is not probkem to pay good money for a really good dinner, but in this case it was looked like cheating. A lot of money for nothing. NOT recommend at all.Special Features: