L. May Eatery
1072 Main St.
Dubuque, IA 52001Neighborhood:
Fusion / EclecticPrice: $30 and under
L. May Eatery
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lmayeatery.com/
- Phone: 5635560505
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Open for private groups or catering
Dinner: Sunday, Monday and Thursday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary American, Pizzeria
- Executive Chef: Tony Joos
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from L. May Eatery
A new romantic bistro on the historic 1000 block of Main Street in Dubuque IA. L. May Eatery serves fusion cuisine and pizza in Dubuque, Iowa in a romantic candlelit atmosphere. Enjoy our impeccable service table side or at our full bar. We also have an extensive wine list with anything from a quality glass of pinot to a great special occasion reserve bottle.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
L. May Eatery - Best Restaurants in Dubuque ›
L. May Eatery reviews from OpenTable diners
168 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (107)neighborhood gem (95)fit for foodies (94)notable wine list (68)romantic (67)hot spot (53)great for outdoor dining (51)good for groups (34)vibrant bar scene (24)late-night find (9)kid-friendly (5)great for lunch (5)great for brunch (4)scenic view (2)Show More
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014I waited over 30 minutes for my 2nd glass a wine, then I reminded him. (He apologized) However, when he came back still no 2nd glass of wine. I looked at the receipt and yup I was charged for 2 glasses of wine. Server: chris 9/19/14 6:30 pmSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- General CommentsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/2014There was a large party in the same room we were in when I specifically had requested a corner table or one off to the side. The kids were noisy and distracting for the first 15 minutes we were seated. The Food was amazing though and so was the service.Special Features:
- Feels like home.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/13/2014The minute you walk in the door you're treated like family. Everyone there has a smile on their face-both customers and staff. The food is amazing with seasonal choices on the menu as well as favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceCBeeDined on 9/13/2014The two of us had three appetizers and each had a salad. All was delicious, including the wine, which our waitpersonr, Nate, recommended. He is a great guy to have giving advice on food and wine. He knows his business and is not intrusive.Special Features:
- hungrytravelerDined on 9/13/2014Our experience was very good. The waitress, Emerald, was very friendly and helpful. The dining room was clean and well decorated. I would return for another delicious meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great EveningYummyStuffDined on 9/12/2014A group of four of us went there for my sister's birthday. We were pleasantly surprised to have a Happy Birthday note on our table. Table was beautifully situated. We were treated to a scrumptious birthday dessert. The staff was outstanding!Special Features:
- Never disappointsJudeDined on 9/7/2014Offers consistently excellent food and service whether ordering a full meal or lighter fare such as appetizers or pizza. If I have visitors from out of town, I always take them here knowing food &service will be great. They also always comment on how they feel like they are in a cosmopolitan area & surprise we are in iowa (-:Special Features:
- Great Food and Great ServiceeatingoutDined on 9/6/2014Wife and I went to LMay with another couple. Was a nice weather evening so we decided to sit outside on the sidewalk. What a nice experience - sitting on main street in Dubuque Iowa enjoying great food and a bottle of wine. Our server was attentive and did a great job. I will definitely go back there.Special Features:
- Trendy DowntownGinniandBobDined on 9/6/2014Perfect restaurant to start off a late summer night of fun. Lots of fun beer to choose from; our meal was succulent! Rachael, our server, was very attentive and always met our requests with a beautiful smile. We were very happy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dubuque's own "'CHEERS"!usammartinDined on 9/5/2014This is Dubuque's "Cheers". Absolutely frendly to everyone that enters throgh their door. If you are not a regular, you will feel like one very quickly. Greatest variety of beer in an open viewing cooler, really good wine selection too. Not sure about what to drink? Just ask EJ for his recommendation. Food is a nice selection and priced to fit everyone with something tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wish Iowa City had this place!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/31/2014We were in Dubuque from Iowa City for Labor Day and went here on Sun. for dinner. Glad we had reservations. It was packed. Varied menu for all price ranges from pizza to fine dining. Service was great. The food was even better. We had duck and osso bucco (made with pork). Both were very tender and fantastic. We couldn't pick a favorite. Compared to the best places inIC the prices ($22 and $24 per entree) seemed very reasonable. On Sun. all bottles of wine are $10 off with the purchase of either 2 entrees or a large pizza. Great promotion. I would definitely drive the 1 1/2 hours to go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our first of many visits to L. May.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014Their crab cakes were outstanding! We ordered duck and steak since we were celebrating our wedding anniversary. Delicous! The wait staff were most helpful. We will be back to try their pizza which most tables were enjoying from what we could see. An enjoyable experience all around...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodloverDined on 8/29/2014Our table was very crowded for 7 people but the food was fantastic and the service was outstanding. We enjoyed our visit very much and recommend L. May for a food fantastic time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a lovely experience!FoodiesUniteDined on 8/28/2014I love L. May. My favorite restaurant in town! It's a great date night spot and occasionally we take the kids on a weeknight for gourmet pizza. Great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TCK2014Dined on 8/25/2014This is a must go to place if you like food & wineSpecial Features:
- MackDined on 8/24/2014I was here with a friend I had not seen for awhile. We wanted to have a nice meal and a good conversation. We enjoyed both!Special Features:
- Great atmosphere and a nice meal.BilzbmrDined on 8/23/2014My wife and I both had the Pork Flank with Portabella mushrooms. It was very good and I would consider ordering it again. The restaurant had an extensive wine and beer list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant downtown DubuqueSavvyfoodieDined on 8/17/2014Very good food and wine list. The pizza was excellent and the atmosphere fun. Would definitely recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinner with familyAuheartDined on 8/17/2014Great place to enjoy a nice dinner with family. Quiet enough that we could enjoy a nice conversation. Great food selection and food that a family with many different tastes could find something on the menu that they could enjoy. Service was very good and staff were friendly and welcoming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Osso Buco!BonVivantDined on 8/16/2014Not the best start. Our reservation was for 8:15, but we had to wait at the bar for half an hour, where we watched tray-laden staff labor up a narrow flight of stairs between the bar and the dining area. Would love to see this place remodeled. Eventually we were seated in a comfortable area, where our waiter sold us on the featured wine, an old-vine Garnacha (we loved it!). I ordered the osso buco, and my husband got the campanelle with chicken. The osso buco was tender and delicious, garnished with braised dried Bing cherries—memorable! My husband's pasta was great (although I would have preferred it without chicken). In spite of the bumpy start, this was by far the best dining experience we had in Dubuque.Special Features:
- Wonderful food and service.grabDined on 8/16/2014The only compliant I have and it is a small one, was the salad. The greens were a little soggy from to much dressing and the dressing was very vingery. Otherwise perfection. Also a very professional bartender. We had reservations at 6:00 and was nice and quiet, but I did notice as we were leaving the noise level had gone up.Special Features:
- The best in Dubuque!yesilleatthatDined on 8/15/2014Fine dining with a casual, non-pretentious feel. The sea scallop and tenderloin dishes were well executed. The multi-layer mousse cake was divine. A little work to be done on the mussel appetizer and mashed potatoes. The flavor of the broth was good, but our mussels were a bit overdone and rubbery. The mashed potatoes were a little too lumpy and needed more seasoning. Overall this was a very positive experience for my boyfriend and I celebrating an anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Visit to DubuqueMojitoMaryDined on 8/15/2014Only went on info from the Dubuque visitor guide & Tripadvisor and ened up at L May. What a lucky find! Restaurant was beautiful with a French Bistro Vibe. My husband's steak was suberb and the dessert delicious. This was a perfect dining experience to end our visit to Dubuque.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful evening!2oldiesDined on 8/11/2014We had reservation for 4. Both couples celebrating their wedding anniversaries. The wine, the meal and the service was great, Chris was our server. What a nice surprise when he came with a special dessert for us! A nice touch to a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ITS ALL GOODlobeetleDined on 8/10/2014Love the fact that they keep mixing it up Love the salads and the pizzas are always a hit. Lots of desserts to chose from :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceCBeeDined on 8/8/2014My friend Patti and I meet at L. May once a month. We love it! Great service (this time by Nate), wonderful food. I've never had anything I didn't like. In fact, five of my friends and I are going there tonight.Special Features:
- Great Food & Outdoor DiningGalenaDinerDined on 8/8/2014Dinner was fantastic. All of our entrees were perfectly prepared. Tea Poached Salmon melted in my mouth. Pork steak with Mushrooms & Grilled Peaches, and the Osso Buco with Cherry sauce were also delicious. The outdoor dining area could be slightly bigger but was still very nice and quiet. Enjoyable area of the restored Main St. in Dubuque.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday night dining in DBQTSW5Dined on 8/3/2014We were looking for a place for a nice family dinner on Sunday night and realized some of our 'go to' places are closed on Sunday evening. We decided on L. May, The kids (age 18-23) and my husband & I, all found something on the menu we were excited to try and not one of us was disappointed. From the summer salad with salmon to the Cuban pizza, tenderloin filet (which includes potatoes and asparagus), & lasagne - everyone was very pleased with the meal. We are a chocolate loving family, so we had to try the S'mores dessert and browine w/ice cream. Perfect ending to a delicious dinner! I shouldn't leave out, the Moscow Mule and Ginger Mojito were very tasty too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Dubuque GemPhilDined on 8/2/2014As always, the service and food were impeccable. We were fortunate to have a corner table near the front so the noise level was not a major distraction to our anniversary dinner. The German Riesling paired well with the deep sea scallop dinner, which both my wife and I had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- saturdaymagicDined on 8/2/2014WE have been dining at Le may for some time. Overall the service and food is great. The menu keeps changing. We like more fish and chicken food selections. The wine list is good, but a bit pricey. We usually have a beer because the bar mix drinks are a bit weak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An okay experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014The service was excellent. The food was fine, but not stunning enough for me to return. We had a nice evening and I have no complaints, but there are other restaurants where I would prefer to eat in the future.
- Good stuff all around.IndianaBrewerDined on 8/2/2014We liked L May so much we ate there on consecutive nights, and not because Dubuque's downtown dining scene is otherwise lackluster. The Eatery deserves it. Apps, entrees, salads, pizza and desserts all were wonderful. Beer and wine list first rate. Service was friendly and attentive. Great experience, and we're happy we found it.Special Features:
- Often our FIRST choiceenjoygetnoutDined on 8/1/2014When we step out as a couple or with friends we often consider several options as possible destinations for dinner. L.May continues to rise to the top time and time again. We have never been disappointed. The wait staff, the menu options, the proximity...we can recommend it all. We look forward to returning again!Special Features:
- Great dining experienceMaryBDined on 7/31/2014The food was very good and the service was outstanding. Our first visit there. I'm sure we will be back.Special Features:
- Dinnerlmaymay28Dined on 7/28/2014Super service. Super menu. I had a shrimp special & my date had trout --super. Decent price. Bar tender was a little quiet & shy, but decent.Special Features:
- Luv2relaxndineDined on 7/26/2014Great food and awesome drinks. Took family in from out of town and they loved it. Our waiter was very helpful. Would recommend to anyoneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014Just a little too loud for my liking but that will not keep me from going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food and waitressSmittyDined on 7/26/2014Rachel did an amazing job explaining anything we had questions on and making sure we truly enjoyed our meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceMickDined on 7/26/2014on arriving the place was packed and the greeter was stressed. After a short wait we were brought to a tiny table which made me worry. It quickly got better. Our waiter Mary Kay was great from start to finish. Pleasant but efficient and knowledgable about the wine and food. WE had an amazing spanish wine called slate to start with. The food was just great quality through the whole experience. The place got quieter which is a blessing as it really was crowded and unpleasant on arrival. Anyways it ended up being a great food eexerience.Special Features:
- Not The Best, Not The WorstmungkeiDined on 7/26/2014Food: Good, but it is pricey, you can get equally as good food at most restaurants for way cheaper. Service: Very Good, the server that we had was on top of us often making sure everything was going well. Though, it also felt as though we were being rushed through our meal. Ambience: Fair, the tables are very close together so it was hard to have a conversation with the person that I went with, as the groups on both sides of us were within arms reach, I was just as close, if not closer, to them as I was my date. Overall: Good. A little pricey for me, as I expected the food to be better based on the cost. A little more space would have went a long way in helping improve my review. I will not be returning to this restaurant.