L. May Eatery
1072 Main St.
Dubuque, IA 52001Neighborhood:
Fusion / EclecticPrice: $30 and under
L. May Eatery
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lmayeatery.com/
- Phone: 5635560505
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Open for private groups or catering
Dinner: Sunday, Monday and Thursday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary American, Pizzeria
- Executive Chef: Tony Joos
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from L. May Eatery
A new romantic bistro on the historic 1000 block of Main Street in Dubuque IA. L. May Eatery serves fusion cuisine and pizza in Dubuque, Iowa in a romantic candlelit atmosphere. Enjoy our impeccable service table side or at our full bar. We also have an extensive wine list with anything from a quality glass of pinot to a great special occasion reserve bottle.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
L. May Eatery - Best Restaurants in Dubuque ›
L. May Eatery reviews from OpenTable diners
187 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (112)fit for foodies (105)neighborhood gem (104)notable wine list (75)romantic (73)hot spot (55)great for outdoor dining (51)good for groups (34)vibrant bar scene (24)late-night find (14)great for brunch (13)great for lunch (10)kid-friendly (6)scenic view (2)Show More
- foodloverDined on 8/29/2014Our table was very crowded for 7 people but the food was fantastic and the service was outstanding. We enjoyed our visit very much and recommend L. May for a food fantastic time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a lovely experience!FoodiesUniteDined on 8/28/2014I love L. May. My favorite restaurant in town! It's a great date night spot and occasionally we take the kids on a weeknight for gourmet pizza. Great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TCK2014Dined on 8/25/2014This is a must go to place if you like food & wineSpecial Features:
- MackDined on 8/24/2014I was here with a friend I had not seen for awhile. We wanted to have a nice meal and a good conversation. We enjoyed both!Special Features:
- Great atmosphere and a nice meal.BilzbmrDined on 8/23/2014My wife and I both had the Pork Flank with Portabella mushrooms. It was very good and I would consider ordering it again. The restaurant had an extensive wine and beer list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant downtown DubuqueSavvyfoodieDined on 8/17/2014Very good food and wine list. The pizza was excellent and the atmosphere fun. Would definitely recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinner with familyAuheartDined on 8/17/2014Great place to enjoy a nice dinner with family. Quiet enough that we could enjoy a nice conversation. Great food selection and food that a family with many different tastes could find something on the menu that they could enjoy. Service was very good and staff were friendly and welcoming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Osso Buco!BonVivantDined on 8/16/2014Not the best start. Our reservation was for 8:15, but we had to wait at the bar for half an hour, where we watched tray-laden staff labor up a narrow flight of stairs between the bar and the dining area. Would love to see this place remodeled. Eventually we were seated in a comfortable area, where our waiter sold us on the featured wine, an old-vine Garnacha (we loved it!). I ordered the osso buco, and my husband got the campanelle with chicken. The osso buco was tender and delicious, garnished with braised dried Bing cherries—memorable! My husband's pasta was great (although I would have preferred it without chicken). In spite of the bumpy start, this was by far the best dining experience we had in Dubuque.Special Features:
- Wonderful food and service.grabDined on 8/16/2014The only compliant I have and it is a small one, was the salad. The greens were a little soggy from to much dressing and the dressing was very vingery. Otherwise perfection. Also a very professional bartender. We had reservations at 6:00 and was nice and quiet, but I did notice as we were leaving the noise level had gone up.Special Features:
- The best in Dubuque!yesilleatthatDined on 8/15/2014Fine dining with a casual, non-pretentious feel. The sea scallop and tenderloin dishes were well executed. The multi-layer mousse cake was divine. A little work to be done on the mussel appetizer and mashed potatoes. The flavor of the broth was good, but our mussels were a bit overdone and rubbery. The mashed potatoes were a little too lumpy and needed more seasoning. Overall this was a very positive experience for my boyfriend and I celebrating an anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Visit to DubuqueMojitoMaryDined on 8/15/2014Only went on info from the Dubuque visitor guide & Tripadvisor and ened up at L May. What a lucky find! Restaurant was beautiful with a French Bistro Vibe. My husband's steak was suberb and the dessert delicious. This was a perfect dining experience to end our visit to Dubuque.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful evening!2oldiesDined on 8/11/2014We had reservation for 4. Both couples celebrating their wedding anniversaries. The wine, the meal and the service was great, Chris was our server. What a nice surprise when he came with a special dessert for us! A nice touch to a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ITS ALL GOODlobeetleDined on 8/10/2014Love the fact that they keep mixing it up Love the salads and the pizzas are always a hit. Lots of desserts to chose from :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceCBeeDined on 8/8/2014My friend Patti and I meet at L. May once a month. We love it! Great service (this time by Nate), wonderful food. I've never had anything I didn't like. In fact, five of my friends and I are going there tonight.Special Features:
- Great Food & Outdoor DiningGalenaDinerDined on 8/8/2014Dinner was fantastic. All of our entrees were perfectly prepared. Tea Poached Salmon melted in my mouth. Pork steak with Mushrooms & Grilled Peaches, and the Osso Buco with Cherry sauce were also delicious. The outdoor dining area could be slightly bigger but was still very nice and quiet. Enjoyable area of the restored Main St. in Dubuque.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday night dining in DBQTSW5Dined on 8/3/2014We were looking for a place for a nice family dinner on Sunday night and realized some of our 'go to' places are closed on Sunday evening. We decided on L. May, The kids (age 18-23) and my husband & I, all found something on the menu we were excited to try and not one of us was disappointed. From the summer salad with salmon to the Cuban pizza, tenderloin filet (which includes potatoes and asparagus), & lasagne - everyone was very pleased with the meal. We are a chocolate loving family, so we had to try the S'mores dessert and browine w/ice cream. Perfect ending to a delicious dinner! I shouldn't leave out, the Moscow Mule and Ginger Mojito were very tasty too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Dubuque GemPhilDined on 8/2/2014As always, the service and food were impeccable. We were fortunate to have a corner table near the front so the noise level was not a major distraction to our anniversary dinner. The German Riesling paired well with the deep sea scallop dinner, which both my wife and I had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- saturdaymagicDined on 8/2/2014WE have been dining at Le may for some time. Overall the service and food is great. The menu keeps changing. We like more fish and chicken food selections. The wine list is good, but a bit pricey. We usually have a beer because the bar mix drinks are a bit weak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An okay experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014The service was excellent. The food was fine, but not stunning enough for me to return. We had a nice evening and I have no complaints, but there are other restaurants where I would prefer to eat in the future.
- Good stuff all around.IndianaBrewerDined on 8/2/2014We liked L May so much we ate there on consecutive nights, and not because Dubuque's downtown dining scene is otherwise lackluster. The Eatery deserves it. Apps, entrees, salads, pizza and desserts all were wonderful. Beer and wine list first rate. Service was friendly and attentive. Great experience, and we're happy we found it.Special Features:
- Often our FIRST choiceenjoygetnoutDined on 8/1/2014When we step out as a couple or with friends we often consider several options as possible destinations for dinner. L.May continues to rise to the top time and time again. We have never been disappointed. The wait staff, the menu options, the proximity...we can recommend it all. We look forward to returning again!Special Features:
- Great dining experienceMaryBDined on 7/31/2014The food was very good and the service was outstanding. Our first visit there. I'm sure we will be back.Special Features:
- Dinnerlmaymay28Dined on 7/28/2014Super service. Super menu. I had a shrimp special & my date had trout --super. Decent price. Bar tender was a little quiet & shy, but decent.Special Features:
- Luv2relaxndineDined on 7/26/2014Great food and awesome drinks. Took family in from out of town and they loved it. Our waiter was very helpful. Would recommend to anyoneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014Just a little too loud for my liking but that will not keep me from going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food and waitressSmittyDined on 7/26/2014Rachel did an amazing job explaining anything we had questions on and making sure we truly enjoyed our meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceMickDined on 7/26/2014on arriving the place was packed and the greeter was stressed. After a short wait we were brought to a tiny table which made me worry. It quickly got better. Our waiter Mary Kay was great from start to finish. Pleasant but efficient and knowledgable about the wine and food. WE had an amazing spanish wine called slate to start with. The food was just great quality through the whole experience. The place got quieter which is a blessing as it really was crowded and unpleasant on arrival. Anyways it ended up being a great food eexerience.Special Features:
- Not The Best, Not The WorstmungkeiDined on 7/26/2014Food: Good, but it is pricey, you can get equally as good food at most restaurants for way cheaper. Service: Very Good, the server that we had was on top of us often making sure everything was going well. Though, it also felt as though we were being rushed through our meal. Ambience: Fair, the tables are very close together so it was hard to have a conversation with the person that I went with, as the groups on both sides of us were within arms reach, I was just as close, if not closer, to them as I was my date. Overall: Good. A little pricey for me, as I expected the food to be better based on the cost. A little more space would have went a long way in helping improve my review. I will not be returning to this restaurant.
- Dubuque's best table?CookingOrganistVIPDined on 7/25/2014I live in Chicago, and haven't spent much time in Dubuque, but knowing that a day of sightseeing in green, hilly NE Iowa could end with a meal at L.May makes the tedious drive through the endless suburbs of Chicago seem worthwhile. Cocktails were interesting, the menu broad enough to warrant repeated visits without spreading itself too thin. I thoroughly enjoyed the strawberry glazed roasted duck, perfectly prepared and Oh! so scrumptious. The sweet potato mash only made me swoon more. And all this accompanied by a very fine little mixed salad with an unusually good house-made parmesan vinaigrette. The house-made bread was great, as was the red pepper compound butter. And then I had the house-made raspberry-mint sorbet. Fantastic!Special Features:
- Shawna's reviewlove2dineDined on 7/25/2014We are friends with the owners brother - Randy Dressler who has highly recommended L May Eatery to us. We finally had the chance to try and it was wonderful, we took our son and his girlfriend who live in Ankeny, IA and they also enjoyed the restaurant. Menu has interesting selections and the wine is great!!! We all had after dinner martini's which were awesome, too. We will highly recommended the restaurant to friends and family. It is just a great place.Special Features:
- LMaytfotoDined on 7/25/2014Its great that LMay has expanded the restaurant and has out door seating in the summer. They have also changed there menu and added some new items as well as dessert! There pizza is amazing!Special Features:
- great place to eatHilaryB1Dined on 7/25/2014We have been here several times. We love the food and the service is always good. We will be back again!Special Features:
- All Around AmazingfoodiegalDined on 7/24/2014From the moment we walked in the door we felt that they were excited we were there. Our food looked so good that we had to share. The Chocolate martini would have been desert enough if we hadn't seen the dessert tray. I had been there before and my friend had not. She said it is now one of her favorite places to eat. The atmosphere could be friends or family getting together or a romantic date. Top notch in every way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent all around!EatsandDrinksDined on 7/21/2014Friends in from out of town and wanting a good steak dinner. We tried this place for the first time. Perfect all around. Good space, relaxed, quiet enough for conversation. Fillet was amazing, the accompanying stout beer butter is out of this world! Also had the lasagna which was very well done. Wine and beer selection was good. Price was toward the top end for what I like to spend but the portions were ample and easy to share and it was a nice place for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Great local restaurantSam50211Dined on 7/19/2014Cozy neighborhood restaurant in Dubuque. Filet was melt in your mouth and parm potatoes were succulent. Server was wonderful and friendly. Great place for a first date or special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- osso bucoCBeeDined on 7/14/2014Great dinners - osso buco for two of us and salmon and trout for two others. Good wine too.Special Features:
- Top Shelf restaurantKABBBDined on 7/14/2014L May's is a awesome place to enjoy good company and awesome food. The menu changes and has many choices. We enjoyed the pork flank steak. My Caesar salad was probably the best I have ever had. Service was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FooddbqirishDined on 7/13/2014We have come to LMay on several occasions, and the food is always superb: fresh, seasonal, delicious. Service has always been good as well, and we have particular wines that we enjoy here which we have not found other places. The noise level is "energetic", as they say, but this did not impair our enjoyment of the evening.Special Features:
- Still one of the bestSummerInDubuqueDined on 7/13/2014Every year, when we are in Dubuque, we dine at L May restaurant. The owners, Lea & C.J., are usually there to greet you. This trip we tried the Pizza & it was fabulous ! We also had a bottle of wine for $18 which is $10 off the normal price. I notices Duck & Osso Bocca on the menu as well so we will have to go back next month.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time GuestdbqtransplantDined on 7/13/2014My husband and I have never been there and decided to go for our 1st Wedding Anniv. The lovely hostess brought champagne to our table. My husband enjoys a good steak and this one was by far the best. It was cooked to perfection, tender and juicy. I had the salmon and that was also very tasty. For dessert, I had the turtle cheesecake and he had the Millstream Rootbeer float. Both were very good. To top it off - on Sunday nights they have a special if you buy 2 entrees or 1 large pizza you get $10 off any bottle of wine and if you pay with cash you get 5% off your bill. Score! If you like red wine I recommend the Volver tempranillo. We will definitely be back! :) Thank you for making our first anniversary a memorable one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.