L. May Eatery
1072 Main St.
Dubuque, IA 52001Neighborhood:
Fusion / EclecticPrice: $30 and under
L. May Eatery
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lmayeatery.com/
- Phone: 5635560505
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Open for private groups or catering
Dinner: Sunday, Monday and Thursday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary American, Pizzeria
- Executive Chef: Tony Joos
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from L. May Eatery
A new romantic bistro on the historic 1000 block of Main Street in Dubuque IA. L. May Eatery serves fusion cuisine and pizza in Dubuque, Iowa in a romantic candlelit atmosphere. Enjoy our impeccable service table side or at our full bar. We also have an extensive wine list with anything from a quality glass of pinot to a great special occasion reserve bottle.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
L. May Eatery - Best Restaurants in Dubuque ›
L. May Eatery reviews from OpenTable diners
174 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (110)fit for foodies (103)neighborhood gem (98)notable wine list (69)romantic (65)hot spot (59)great for outdoor dining (43)good for groups (40)vibrant bar scene (25)late-night find (15)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (5)great for lunch (4)scenic view (2)Show More
- Just Plain GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/25/2014Did not know what to expect was my first time, a good trendy place, food and service was great. Very friendly staff.Special Features:
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/25/2014The place is very busy and packed, but I would assume that its because it was the best place we have ever eaten! We had bruschetta that was the best i have ever had. Their house salas was amazing. We had the filet mignon which was so tender it melted in our mouths. Our waitress (Tiffany?) was fabulous and took care of our every need. Very nice and great personality. We will be going back asap!Special Features:
- Always a Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014This is the second time my wife and I at L. May. We haven't been disapointed in the least with the food. Our server happened to be the same person each time we went and Chris really defines what service should be. He was always cordial, knowledgable of the menu and was at the table the appropriate amount, in a timely manner. The food is a break from the monotony, to say the least. One can tell that it is prepared with care and some of the best (if not the best) in the area. However, be prepared that this is not fast food and is priced reflective of the high quality of food. Overall, L. May is always a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Restaurant!GSWIDined on 10/24/2014My wife and I were in town for only one night and it was her birthday. All of the reviews were good and L. May Eatery certainly did not disappoint. I had the pork flank steak and my wife had the pork osso boco. Both dishes were outstanding. I've already recommended and would go back again if I'm ever in Dubuque again. My **only** complaint was that it was noisy. In all fairness it was crowded too on a Friday night.Special Features:
- Best in DubuquePapaBillVIPDined on 10/20/2014Dinner at L. May Eatery was a great dining experience. Food was outstanding on the new menu that night. Service couldn't have been better. Will definitely return the next time in Dubuque.Special Features:
- Husbands birthday dinner.KcmommyDined on 10/18/2014Our dining experience was wonderful!! The atmosphere is great! Very busy restaurant, but it doesn't FEEL busy. Pizza was amazing, drinks hit the spot. They had happy birthday written on the tablecloth for my husband...very sweet. Only complaint was the $3 very small cup of not so great coffee. Other than that wonderful!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FriendsDined on 10/18/2014Always a great experience. Loved the lobster lasagna, on of my favorite dishes. The staff is very efficient and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food and Service2OntheroadDined on 10/17/2014We were impressed with our service and food. The filet melted in your mouth and asparagus was cooked just right. The different courses were choreographed just when you were ready. If you eat there ask to be seated in Nathan's service area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome as always!!!!TomCrescentDined on 10/13/2014L. May is truly the "go-to" restaurant for a "local gem"...always great service, always great food.Special Features:
- Honeymooners1011LoveBirdsDined on 10/12/2014We found out about L.May from Travelocity and decided to give it a try based off of its great reviews.We were celebrating our honeymoon in Dubuque at the Clarke Manor. While making our online reservation, we were able to blow in "special occasion" to our needs. Just for fun I wrote down honeymoon.When we were seated at our table the staff was so friendly, and "Congrats, love is in the air..." was written on our table. It was just a special moment for us to share together.Intimate dining is something that my husband and I try to treat ourselves with and L.May was the PERFECT location for that special occasion.Our meals were delicious, the staff was knowledgeable, and someone we squeezed dessert in there too! Definitely plan to revisit soon!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014I made reservations based upon the online reviews. My party had much higher expectations than the food that was served. It was not worth the $100 (food and tip) that I paid for a party of three. None of us will be back.
- Great service - excellent food!happyeatsDined on 10/11/2014We met at L. May for a college reunion and as group dinners sometimes go, we had people cancel and then new people add at the last minute. The staff at L. May was very accommodating. They provided us with options and made sure that despite the changes, we were all comfortable. The server was very flexible, had a great sense of humor, and took good care of our many requests. Especially impressive was how they did this on a very busy evening when they were no longer taking reservations. Thank you!Special Features:
- Great find for Dubuque!lovesgoodfoodDined on 10/10/2014Absolutely loved dining here, so much so that we booked it again the next night and brought an additional guest. Great local, seasonal food--pumpkin everywhere, in the pizza and even offered as a pumpkin pie martini! Loved the creative choices. Very busy place, so I'd suggest reservations.Special Features:
- Great mealNatlParkTrekkersDined on 10/10/2014The pork osso bucco was amazing. The pork fell of the bone and melted in your mouth. My husband had the swordfish and that was amazing too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Granddaughter BirthdayHappy3dinersDined on 10/5/2014Great meal for10 year old birthday dinner. Waitstaff excellent, food well above average .steak kabob app fantastic. Will returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- L MaySmokenDined on 10/4/2014The food was outstanding the service was perfect it is a great place and Deb and I will definitely be back anytime we are in Dubuque thanks to everyone thereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant Dining ExperienceKoilar13Dined on 10/4/2014What a very pleasurable dining experience! We had a birthday dinner party with 14 people in attendance! The atmosphere was private and inviting, the food and drinks were outstanding and the service was exceptional! The service from Josh was amazing and all the other staff members who worked so hard to make the meal/drinks a fabulous experience for our gathering!The menu was delicious and plated beautifully! Everyone was overly pleased with their food! Thank you so much! Every time we travel back to Dubuque, L.May is a MUST stop! Don't miss this gem!Special Features:
- RaySusieDined on 10/3/2014Had guests from Las Vegas who loved it. We come every time they come to town and visit. Great spot and the food was excellent. As good as any restaurant in Vegas. We just were in Vegas and ate at the new Giada's. L'May is every bit as good!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurantZoie2goDined on 10/3/2014We have eaten at LMay many times and what I love about LMAY is the friendly atmosphere that u can dine, talk with friends, and enjoy great wines. The best part is THERE R NO TV,s. Love the restaurant and will continue to support.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dined outside!!GalenaDinerDined on 9/28/2014Food was fantastic.!! We brought a couple that hadn't been there and they will be back and so will we!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatFiddlerDined on 9/26/2014I drive 60mi one way to enjoy this restaurant once a month. It is my favorite place to eat. The menu is always fresh and delicious. If friends are ever looking for a place to eat, I say it is more than worth the drive and have never had someone question the recommendation. Love this place! I wish L. May was in the Q.C.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favorite!DinnerOutDined on 9/26/2014We love L May! Always great food and atmosphere! So welcoming and love the menu changes!Special Features:
- SchallersOttoDined on 9/25/2014The food is always well prepared and melts in your mouth. The service was excellent, the wine delightful. Thanks for making my wife's birthday an extra special evening.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/22/2014DO NOT MISS OUT ON THE CARAMEL CAKE!!!!!!!!!! As usual the food is fantastic. Great unique selection of food. Great pizza menu. Always eat way more than we should.Special Features:
- I love LMay!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/21/2014I always love dining at LMay. The atmosphere is friendly and intimate, the food excellent and the service is consistently good. I know I can count on this restaurant. On Sundays you can get $10 off a bottle of wine with 2 entrees or a large pizza!Special Features:
- Fun EveningFoodhoundDined on 9/20/2014Relatives visiting, great place to go and visit and enjoy wonderful food and drink.Special Features:
- Afternoon delight2bThere1ceMoreDined on 9/20/2014L. May eatery has a lovely and bright wait staff, always willing to help. The food is great also. We enjoyed the L. May supreme pizza. I can whole-heartedly recommend this gem of a restaurant in Dubuque, Iowa as a place to have fun dining at.Special Features:
- L May Eatery - FabulousDubuquedinerDined on 9/20/2014Decided on a whim to check out this place and was not disappointed. Great selection of out of the ordinary entrees plus pizzas. It was hard to decide what to order, everything looked tempting. We finally decided on the scallops and filet mignon. It was wonderful and the service was great. The only complaint was a large group that was seated next to us when we were about half way through our meal. They were very loud and drowned out the background music which was very nice. But not much they can do about that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014I waited over 30 minutes for my 2nd glass a wine, then I reminded him. (He apologized) However, when he came back still no 2nd glass of wine. I looked at the receipt and yup I was charged for 2 glasses of wine. Server: chris 9/19/14 6:30 pmSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- General CommentsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/2014There was a large party in the same room we were in when I specifically had requested a corner table or one off to the side. The kids were noisy and distracting for the first 15 minutes we were seated. The Food was amazing though and so was the service.Special Features:
- Feels like home.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/13/2014The minute you walk in the door you're treated like family. Everyone there has a smile on their face-both customers and staff. The food is amazing with seasonal choices on the menu as well as favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceCBeeDined on 9/13/2014The two of us had three appetizers and each had a salad. All was delicious, including the wine, which our waitpersonr, Nate, recommended. He is a great guy to have giving advice on food and wine. He knows his business and is not intrusive.Special Features:
- hungrytravelerDined on 9/13/2014Our experience was very good. The waitress, Emerald, was very friendly and helpful. The dining room was clean and well decorated. I would return for another delicious meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great EveningYummyStuffDined on 9/12/2014A group of four of us went there for my sister's birthday. We were pleasantly surprised to have a Happy Birthday note on our table. Table was beautifully situated. We were treated to a scrumptious birthday dessert. The staff was outstanding!Special Features:
- Never disappointsJudeDined on 9/7/2014Offers consistently excellent food and service whether ordering a full meal or lighter fare such as appetizers or pizza. If I have visitors from out of town, I always take them here knowing food &service will be great. They also always comment on how they feel like they are in a cosmopolitan area & surprise we are in iowa (-:Special Features:
- Great Food and Great ServiceeatingoutDined on 9/6/2014Wife and I went to LMay with another couple. Was a nice weather evening so we decided to sit outside on the sidewalk. What a nice experience - sitting on main street in Dubuque Iowa enjoying great food and a bottle of wine. Our server was attentive and did a great job. I will definitely go back there.Special Features:
- Trendy DowntownGinniandBobDined on 9/6/2014Perfect restaurant to start off a late summer night of fun. Lots of fun beer to choose from; our meal was succulent! Rachael, our server, was very attentive and always met our requests with a beautiful smile. We were very happy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dubuque's own "'CHEERS"!usammartinDined on 9/5/2014This is Dubuque's "Cheers". Absolutely frendly to everyone that enters throgh their door. If you are not a regular, you will feel like one very quickly. Greatest variety of beer in an open viewing cooler, really good wine selection too. Not sure about what to drink? Just ask EJ for his recommendation. Food is a nice selection and priced to fit everyone with something tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wish Iowa City had this place!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/31/2014We were in Dubuque from Iowa City for Labor Day and went here on Sun. for dinner. Glad we had reservations. It was packed. Varied menu for all price ranges from pizza to fine dining. Service was great. The food was even better. We had duck and osso bucco (made with pork). Both were very tender and fantastic. We couldn't pick a favorite. Compared to the best places inIC the prices ($22 and $24 per entree) seemed very reasonable. On Sun. all bottles of wine are $10 off with the purchase of either 2 entrees or a large pizza. Great promotion. I would definitely drive the 1 1/2 hours to go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our first of many visits to L. May.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014Their crab cakes were outstanding! We ordered duck and steak since we were celebrating our wedding anniversary. Delicous! The wait staff were most helpful. We will be back to try their pizza which most tables were enjoying from what we could see. An enjoyable experience all around...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.