L. May Eatery
1072 Main St.
Dubuque, IA 52001Neighborhood:
Fusion / EclecticPrice: $30 and under
L. May Eatery
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lmayeatery.com/
- Phone: (563) 556-0505
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Open for private groups or catering
Dinner: Sunday, Monday and Thursday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary American, Pizzeria
- Executive Chef: Tony Joos
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from L. May Eatery
A new romantic bistro on the historic 1000 block of Main Street in Dubuque IA. L. May Eatery serves fusion cuisine and pizza in Dubuque, Iowa in a romantic candlelit atmosphere. Enjoy our impeccable service table side or at our full bar. We also have an extensive wine list with anything from a quality glass of pinot to a great special occasion reserve bottle.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
L. May Eatery - Best Restaurants in Dubuque ›
L. May Eatery reviews from OpenTable diners
176 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (112)special occasion (111)neighborhood gem (104)romantic (71)notable wine list (70)hot spot (61)good for groups (48)great for outdoor dining (33)vibrant bar scene (30)late-night find (17)great for brunch (5)great for lunch (5)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (2)Show More
- Upscale restaurantkencDined on 11/24/2014Restaurant rivals many of the upscale restaurants in Chicago. Great layout and ambience. The food was outstanding and our server Emerald was great and efficient. The bread pudding with icecream for dessert was irrestible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/23/2014L May is the perfect place to go for fine dining in a relaxed atmosphere. The attention to detail is amazing. There were four in our group all of our entrees were excellent. The wine list is broad and priced right. The restaurant was very busy on a Sunday evening so I would recommend reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place47of74Dined on 11/22/2014This is simply a great place. The food and the service are always excellent. The owner and her staff go out of their ways to make the dining experience special for everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our go-to place in DubuquempkingDined on 11/21/2014Whenever my business colleagues and I travel through Iowa, we make a point to overnight in Dubuque just so we can eat at L. May. We're never disappointed and always have a great meal and great time. The food was outstanding this time around, as it has been in the past; it is reasonably priced for the quality of what you receive. Depending on the dish, the portions are between normal and generous, though I thought the pork flank steak one of our diners ordered seemed a bit skimpy. Our wine drinkers were impressed with the wine list, and our beer drinkers were impressed with the beer list – both had unique offerings, locals and imports, you don't often find when dining out. Normally our trips to L. May are 5-stars, but this time we had a 15+ minute wait despite our reservation (made weeks in advance and confirmed by phone a few days before). That's the only thing that wasn't perfect this time, but I'll note that it won't have any bearing on whether we come back again. There's no doubt about it... we'll be back, again and again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The bestOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/21/2014LMay is awesome! Great selections, great food and owned by a great brother and sister !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerJeanDined on 11/21/2014We had to wait a bit for our table, despite our reservation, but that was not a problem. The food was excellent; our waiter was very knowledgeable and helpful. We truly enjoyed the experience and will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfortable and TrendyHappydiners4Dined on 11/21/2014Had a great time there, server was very attentive. We were celebrating a birthday and a congratulatory dinner for friends. Everything went very well, when we arrived our table was ready and even had a Happy Birthday greeting on the table that we didn't even ask for(very nice). All meals ordered were REALLY GREAT AND DELICIOUS. NO COMPLAINTS FROM ANYONE. We were running a little late for our show reservations and had to ask our server to box up the dessert platter that we had ordered, she complied very quickly, and enabled us a quick exit. Many thanks she was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TammyDined on 11/21/2014Our server, Emerald, was excellent! We had the roasted red pepper hummus bruschetta, which was fabulous! I had the spinach gnocchi, which I thought was a bit bland, but I appreciated having a vegetarian entree option to eat! My husband had a pork dish which he absolutely loved! He said the meat just melted in his mouth and the sauce was very flavorful! We will definitely eat here again when we're back in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DBQdinerDined on 11/17/2014Consistently great wine values, interesting menu options and great service. I have never been disappointed, and always look forward to your new seasonal specialities and innovative pizzas as appetizers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/15/2014L May Eatery was recommended to us by our friends in Dubuque and it did not disappoint! The food was excellent and the service was extremely helpful, pleasant and attentive. We were celebrating our wedding anniversary and were very pleasantly surprised with a free champagne toast to start out the evening. L May Eatery hit it out of the park!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014we eat out probably two to three times a week. Very nice restaurant. menu didn't have any shrimp (wife likes that) service very good but our server was a little bit too much (sometimes you can go overboard). all in all very nice. I feel Dubuque area has a lot of great restaurant's. the competition is fierce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favorites!MarkoDined on 11/15/2014As always, dining at L-May was excellent. The food and service are consistently very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlacePE1960Dined on 11/14/2014We always have a great time at L. May! We just wish it were in Galena, so we wouldn't have to travel so far. Leah, the owner has a great personality and knows how to run an efficient dining room; the staff works like clockwork and in unison. Wine list is modest, but well chosen. The food is seasonally inspired and locally sourced when possible. The only negative this last trip was the bread pudding was stone cold (otherwise the food would have been 5 stars)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A MUST on your dining bucket list!ForeverFitDined on 11/14/2014The food is outstanding! Delicious choices with unique flavor combinations~ a truly exceptional dining experience! Staff always makes the evening a pleasure with their kind and courteous service and the ambience is rich!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lovely eveningJBedfordDined on 11/14/2014Just wanting an easy night out, L. May fit the bill to a T. A nice drink at the bar and then a table for two. Dinner was a light, but delicious salad and a pumpkin pizza on a gluten-free crust! The music was about perfect, enough that you heard it (really good mellow jazz channel) yet you never felt like you had to talk over it. Enough that you didn't hear your neighbor tables much, but not so much that you couldn't carry on an easy conversation. Service was prompt, pleasant and knowledgable. She was there when we needed her, but never over our shoulder. L. May continues to be the neighborhood restaurant where you are going to feel at home but you lol be served food you won't get at home!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit of romanceWantromanceDined on 11/8/2014Very busy place, but dark and romantic. Our waitress was very friendly and attentive. The food was all right overall...and just the right amount.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentnetsyDined on 11/8/2014We are never dissapointed when we go to L'may- it is our favorite resteraunt- we always go to celebrate special occasions and just for a great meal any other timeSpecial Features:
- one of my favoritesgatesDined on 11/8/2014This is a fun place to dine as the menu is unique and the food very good. The service is great and seems we always see friends there that we have not seen for a while. Enjoyable experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014Our waiter was really good and enjoyable, but the kitchen took forever on getting our food to us. Only complaint was the wait the food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "Well Done"LaMarcilDined on 11/7/2014Menu perfecto! great amp,great service,everything well fit together,surely need one in the QC.Special Features:
- Our first timeVegansathomeDined on 11/1/2014This was our first visit. Very nice. It was 8:15 on a Saturday night, restaurant was packed. I emailed my reservation at 7:30, and we walked right in. Great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun family dinner at LMay!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/1/2014Rachel provided us with wonderful service and our dinner was delicious. Thanks LMay!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelightfulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014The lobster lasagna is our favorite and never fails to impress. The salmon is the best in town. Desserts looked so good we took some home. A huge hit as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceLuvfoodDined on 10/30/2014We dined here for our anniversary. Great food! Super server, Nate!Special Features:
- Excellent dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/27/2014Always have a great dinner and overall dining experience at L.May. Best in Dubuque.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a wonderful experience!PdeegeeDined on 10/27/2014I brought a friend to L. May for a special occasion. She had never eaten there before, whereas I am a regular client. She commented specifically on the atmosphere as classy but not uptight, and she loved the Osso Bucco! I had the special, a pork scallopini, and it was delicious. Great food, great service, great venue!Special Features:
- Just Plain GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/25/2014Did not know what to expect was my first time, a good trendy place, food and service was great. Very friendly staff.Special Features:
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/25/2014The place is very busy and packed, but I would assume that its because it was the best place we have ever eaten! We had bruschetta that was the best i have ever had. Their house salas was amazing. We had the filet mignon which was so tender it melted in our mouths. Our waitress (Tiffany?) was fabulous and took care of our every need. Very nice and great personality. We will be going back asap!Special Features:
- Always a Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014This is the second time my wife and I at L. May. We haven't been disapointed in the least with the food. Our server happened to be the same person each time we went and Chris really defines what service should be. He was always cordial, knowledgable of the menu and was at the table the appropriate amount, in a timely manner. The food is a break from the monotony, to say the least. One can tell that it is prepared with care and some of the best (if not the best) in the area. However, be prepared that this is not fast food and is priced reflective of the high quality of food. Overall, L. May is always a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Restaurant!GSWIDined on 10/24/2014My wife and I were in town for only one night and it was her birthday. All of the reviews were good and L. May Eatery certainly did not disappoint. I had the pork flank steak and my wife had the pork osso boco. Both dishes were outstanding. I've already recommended and would go back again if I'm ever in Dubuque again. My **only** complaint was that it was noisy. In all fairness it was crowded too on a Friday night.Special Features:
- Best in DubuquePapaBillVIPDined on 10/20/2014Dinner at L. May Eatery was a great dining experience. Food was outstanding on the new menu that night. Service couldn't have been better. Will definitely return the next time in Dubuque.Special Features:
- Husbands birthday dinner.KcmommyDined on 10/18/2014Our dining experience was wonderful!! The atmosphere is great! Very busy restaurant, but it doesn't FEEL busy. Pizza was amazing, drinks hit the spot. They had happy birthday written on the tablecloth for my husband...very sweet. Only complaint was the $3 very small cup of not so great coffee. Other than that wonderful!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FriendsDined on 10/18/2014Always a great experience. Loved the lobster lasagna, on of my favorite dishes. The staff is very efficient and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food and Service2OntheroadDined on 10/17/2014We were impressed with our service and food. The filet melted in your mouth and asparagus was cooked just right. The different courses were choreographed just when you were ready. If you eat there ask to be seated in Nathan's service area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome as always!!!!TomCrescentDined on 10/13/2014L. May is truly the "go-to" restaurant for a "local gem"...always great service, always great food.Special Features:
- Honeymooners1011LoveBirdsDined on 10/12/2014We found out about L.May from Travelocity and decided to give it a try based off of its great reviews.We were celebrating our honeymoon in Dubuque at the Clarke Manor. While making our online reservation, we were able to blow in "special occasion" to our needs. Just for fun I wrote down honeymoon.When we were seated at our table the staff was so friendly, and "Congrats, love is in the air..." was written on our table. It was just a special moment for us to share together.Intimate dining is something that my husband and I try to treat ourselves with and L.May was the PERFECT location for that special occasion.Our meals were delicious, the staff was knowledgeable, and someone we squeezed dessert in there too! Definitely plan to revisit soon!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014I made reservations based upon the online reviews. My party had much higher expectations than the food that was served. It was not worth the $100 (food and tip) that I paid for a party of three. None of us will be back.
- Great service - excellent food!happyeatsDined on 10/11/2014We met at L. May for a college reunion and as group dinners sometimes go, we had people cancel and then new people add at the last minute. The staff at L. May was very accommodating. They provided us with options and made sure that despite the changes, we were all comfortable. The server was very flexible, had a great sense of humor, and took good care of our many requests. Especially impressive was how they did this on a very busy evening when they were no longer taking reservations. Thank you!Special Features:
- Great find for Dubuque!lovesgoodfoodDined on 10/10/2014Absolutely loved dining here, so much so that we booked it again the next night and brought an additional guest. Great local, seasonal food--pumpkin everywhere, in the pizza and even offered as a pumpkin pie martini! Loved the creative choices. Very busy place, so I'd suggest reservations.Special Features:
- Great mealNatlParkTrekkersDined on 10/10/2014The pork osso bucco was amazing. The pork fell of the bone and melted in your mouth. My husband had the swordfish and that was amazing too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.